GilmoreGirls.org Forum
June 24, 2022, 04:13:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Snap  Heidi's Soapbox, now with a new poll! Vote, vote, vote!  Good times.  Best times!  Chomp

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Where do you see yourself in ten years?
She (or he) works hard for the money - 12 (11.8%)
Married and/or raising a family - 29 (28.4%)
Traveling the world of wonders - 6 (5.9%)
Hooray for Hollywood (rich and famous) - 9 (8.8%)
It doesn't matter as long as I'm happy - 30 (29.4%)
Retired - 0 (0%)
Other (elaborate in a post) - 8 (7.8%)
Where Heidi leads, I will follow - 8 (7.8%)
Total Voters: 99

Pages: 1 ... 769 770 [771] 772 773 ... 895
  Print  
Author Topic: Off Topic Thread - Because a lot has happened!  (Read 1836820 times)
gilmorefriend
Official Gilmore Girl

Community Points: 1354

View Profile
« Reply #11550 on: November 25, 2007, 04:56:47 pm »

Kate- Have you ever heard Taylor Swift sing?
Yeah, I agree that we don't need Violence to learn compassion. Just to learn depression.
How is everyone?

THIS ACCOUNT IS SO OLD BUT I DON'T HAVE THE HEART TO DELETE IT PRETEND I DON'T EXIST
Lovefiend
Yale Alumnus

Community Points: 905

Shary's Stalkee, Lexie is my lil sis/ R.I.P BF

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11551 on: November 25, 2007, 05:12:28 pm »

Hey Amber!
No, I haven't heard Taylor sing, I'm not really a fan of country music. I tend to only listen to music when I'm angry or depressed and what to hear people in the same vein, lol.
I think that those things don't eccesarily cause depression. Depression is not (lalways) a learned thing, it's a chemical, or a receptor malfunction in your brain.

~I wish I could touch you again, I wish I could still call you friend, I'd give, anything... ~

MiniPink
gilmorefriend
Official Gilmore Girl

Community Points: 1354

View Profile
« Reply #11552 on: November 25, 2007, 05:47:00 pm »

Almost all of her songs are on youtube.
I use to HATE counrty before Taylor swift.
Yeah. We don't really experience it much except for during violence though.

THIS ACCOUNT IS SO OLD BUT I DON'T HAVE THE HEART TO DELETE IT PRETEND I DON'T EXIST
Lovefiend
Yale Alumnus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11553 on: November 25, 2007, 06:24:23 pm »

That simply not true. Depression is felt in a variety of circumstances, including perfectly normal, happy circumstance.

~I wish I could touch you again, I wish I could still call you friend, I'd give, anything... ~

MiniPink
Sooks
Inn Bellhop

Community Points: 1464

Life is Beautiful ~N. Sixx

View Profile
« Reply #11554 on: November 25, 2007, 08:22:52 pm »

I believe there are things in which we as humans have done to ourselves throughout time. And those things, negative or positive, have changed humanity. I don't know if I go as far as to say "forever", as I don't know the future. At this point in my life, I tend to try to believe in some "higher power" though I'm not quite sure what that might be. I believe there is something bigger than I...again, not sure what that might be at this point. I think that we are given many things when we are born human beings, and it is up to us as to how we come about those things (love, hate, compassion, etc.) and how we develop those qualities/ feelings. I think that there are some who will never really feel certain feelings, though they have the capability to do so. Or rather, they may never know they've experienced that feeling/ emotion.

Alright, I'm rambling on and really have no place to be doing so. I just want to say one more thing and then I'll leave you all be. I take a big stance on depression and that one doesn't get to choose whether or not to be depressed. I think that our society - at least here in the states - has really commercialized or 'normalized' depression. (Not sure those are the words I really want to use right there) While I'm very glad that people who experience depression are not looked down upon quite as much as they once were. And am glad that the medical field has been doing more in the way of learning about what causes depression. I think that way too many people now use it as an excuse and don't really respect those that have suffered from, or rather experienced, depression. I think it's become a cop-out and it makes me mad. I have experienced depression in all it's glory, and honestly believe that I'm a better person from those experiences. I think it's real. I think it's different for everyone. I think that people can feel depressed and down - but to be diagnosed with depression is another thing. That's just me. I wouldn't wish it upon anyone - but on the other hand, if you do experience it, it can be a positive thing in the end...stress the word 'can'.

There's plenty more to say on that subject but for now, I leave you all! Smiley I'm off to try to do something a little fun before turning in for the night! Hi Steph glad to see you here! Hope that everyone else is having a wonderful night and a great end to another weekend!! Take care!

Please read the Forum Rules and enjoy~
~NO DAY BUT TODAY~
Lovefiend
Yale Alumnus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11555 on: November 25, 2007, 09:23:54 pm »

I think for the most part I agree with your views on depression. Mental illness is tricky, and nobody truley understands it  But I do also feel that it's too widely used , to simply mean people who are down about something or who can't be bothered trying to pick themselves up. I'm manic depressive, and have experienced both depression and mania like you wouldn't believe. It sickens me to my stomach when 13 year old girls walk around preneding to be depressed, cat scratching their arms for attention.

MiniPink
Imy
Pretty Town Spinster

Community Points: 411

I'm the Literati geek!

View Profile
« Reply #11556 on: November 26, 2007, 11:25:36 am »

Love and compassion are already instilled into us by being human. That is what makes us innatley human, differs us from other species. Well, one of the things. We don't need cancer, and starvation, and abuse and war to teach us that.
wow that sounds like it should be under my sig as a quote from a famous philosopher... it was totally deep!! LOL!

I'm manic depressive, and have experienced both depression and mania like you wouldn't believe. It sickens me to my stomach when 13 year old girls walk around pretending to be depressed, cat scratching their arms for attention.
OH MY GOSH IT MAKES ME SOOOOO MAD!! That's exactly like what some girls in my year are like! And to be fair one of them did have something tragic happen to her but that was 5 years ago and her showing off her scars from self-harm isn't going to make her better. And then there's girls who like don't really have anything wrong with their life's they're just total wannabe emos that get attention by cutting themselves with their razor or summin drives me crazy. I just feel like saying "When you've got something seriously wrong tell me then but right now I don't care if you're heart is 'broken' "

anyway...

I don't think there's such a thing as 'good' and 'evil' because as a character in a Lemony Snicket book said 'Everyone is like a mixed salad' he said that everyone has good and bad in them and that no one is all good or all bad that's just not the way the world works.

Plus, I don't believe that there is a god because there is way too much random suffering in the world.
I've heard this said a lot and I always think that just because there's suffering doesn't mean there's no god because I believe that god gave us free-will and with all humans on the planet with free-will some of them and in today's case a lot of them will do a lot of damage and this causes suffering. Anyway that's just what I believe.

Wow from the time I've spent on this thread it has never been this serious and philosophical!! lol.

Imogen~Literati~M.M.M~Java Junkie~Foodie

I'm the Old school music gal! lol Jim!
Do you have a Crazy Corner Emily?! lol
Lovefiend
Yale Alumnus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11557 on: November 26, 2007, 11:56:04 am »

I disagree, a lot of suffering is not caused by other people's will power at all. People get sick. People die, horribly,. Natural disasters kill, as does exposure to the elements. Many of life's miseries have absolutley nothing to do with free will. I think if there is a god, the fact that he'd give some people the ability to abuse, torture and hurt others, means he's definatly not something I wanna spend my Sundays worshopping.

As for self harm, I've self harmed. Badly. In my time. I's a legitimate symptom of several mental illnesses, as well as being completely and utterly addictive. However, the girls who do pathetic scratches over their arms where people can see, and their about as deep as a prickle scratch, are just asking for attention and that disgusts me.

MiniPink
steph_
Inn Owner

Community Points: 212

summertime!

View Profile
« Reply #11558 on: November 26, 2007, 02:43:03 pm »

There's plenty more to say on that subject but for now, I leave you all! Smiley I'm off to try to do something a little fun before turning in for the night! Hi Steph glad to see you here! Hope that everyone else is having a wonderful night and a great end to another weekend!! Take care!

Hey sooks!
whatsupp??

ily nega, myra, narium and angela (L)
call me dybbi lmao nega and myra and narium Wink
my name is stephanie !

you know you love me.
Imy
Pretty Town Spinster

Community Points: 411

I'm the Literati geek!

View Profile
« Reply #11559 on: November 27, 2007, 08:14:59 am »

As for self harm, I've self harmed. Badly. In my time. I's a legitimate symptom of several mental illnesses, as well as being completely and utterly addictive. However, the girls who do pathetic scratches over their arms where people can see, and their about as deep as a prickle scratch, are just asking for attention and that disgusts me.
yeah I understand people that actually having something wrong doing it. But I totally hate the pathetic girls who do that kinda 'prickle scratch' as you said. And it's like some of my friends have starting getting into it and I just wanna tell them that they actually have nothing to be depressed about and that getting addicted to cutting themselves is not going to help. But you can't say that to them because then they hate you!

ok so basically my thought for today is that school totally sucks and that being bored is way better than having loads of friendship drama it's sooooo annoying!

Imogen~Literati~M.M.M~Java Junkie~Foodie

I'm the Old school music gal! lol Jim!
Do you have a Crazy Corner Emily?! lol
SIDNEY
Chilton Graduate

Community Points: 322

View Profile
« Reply #11560 on: November 27, 2007, 01:30:45 pm »

I disagree, a lot of suffering is not caused by other people's will power at all. People get sick. People die, horribly,. Natural disasters kill, as does exposure to the elements. Many of life's miseries have absolutley nothing to do with free will. I think if there is a god, the fact that he'd give some people the ability to abuse, torture and hurt others, means he's definatly not something I wanna spend my Sundays worshopping.

I am just going to say what i think. You of course don't have to agree and i can't make you anyway. First of all, without suffering there is no compassion. If everyone is happy and well then why would anyone feel sympathy towards anyone? Whenever i meet someone who is warm hearted that person turns to have troubles in his/her life. That is not a Coincidence. Pain make people appreciate joy. The fact that life is short force people to live and because it has an end that makes it valuable. This life is just a bridge to another life. What we do in this life determine what we're going next. This life doesn't have to be perfect but if we get through it in a good way towards ourselves and people then we'll find another life, eternal, where people don't get sick or old and don't die. I believe in that in my soul and that the way it should be. I say if you don't believe in God then you believe in nothing. I don't know how people can live their life with such emptiness and with no purpose.

There is no one who hurt his/her self with no reason. You may see their reasons silly but i think there is nothing silly about human's emotions. You talk about how compassion is already instilled into us by being human then where is your compassion now? The thing is people don't show their inner troubles to us always and face us with a smile. Those people are hurting the most and just because you don't know it, doesn't make it any less real. My professor once talked about how many people arrange fake-suicide just to force someone to care. That's their way of saying "we're in pain". He said that if we just learned to listen then there will be way less amount of people who kill themselves.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 01:38:10 pm by SIDNEY » Logged

Billy: Are we over the rainbow, Ally? Is this it? We used to sing as kids "over the rainbow".
We've gone from being people with bright futures to people who should be living their futures now.
Lovefiend
Yale Alumnus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11561 on: November 27, 2007, 02:26:22 pm »

My life is not empty and purposeless, thank you.
No, pain does not always equal compassion and joy, I get the feeling you have not met many people who have had hard lives, more often t ha tnot, pain creates bitter and jaded people. IF there were no suffering, we would not need sympathy, I thought that was pretty obvious.
The reason I have no copassion for those is because of them, the mental health system here is overcroweded and completely full. Because of this, really ill people are being released, where they commit suicide, or murder others. It happens all the time and if the 13 year olds who are cutting themselves to be 'cool' would stop, and grow up a bit, there would be room there for those who actually need the help. Also, many seriously ill people are overlooked, because people just think they're cutting for attention, like so many people are.
Please do not be so attacking and rude in your posts, it's entirely uneccessary.
In fact, I think for the sake of h armony on the boards, this would be a good place to change the topic of conversation. Religious debates rarely end on a friendly note.

Man, do you guys miss being a kid? When life was so simple!! I wanna go back to Elementary school!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 02:46:08 pm by Lovefiend » Logged

MiniPink
the_real_paul_anka
« Reply #11562 on: November 27, 2007, 03:13:45 pm »

I say if you don't believe in God then you believe in nothing. I don't know how people can live their life with such emptiness and with no purpose.

There is so much more in the world to believe in then just God. Everyone in this world has beliefs. It's impossible to believe in nothing. Just because someone doesn't believe in the God that you worship, doesn't mean their life is empty or purposeless. Some of the most successful people in the world practice no religion. I will say this, I am a Christian, but I am wavering in my faith. I am growing away from the religion because I find that it is suffocating and suppressing me. It's taking away my beliefs and cramming false ones into my head. I am not going to allow a God that is supposed to do what is best for me, take away something that I believe to be right. That's just stupid, it's brainwashing.

MOVING ON-

About the 13 year old girls looking for attention by 'prickle scratching'...
There is obviously something wrong with our world if these young girls think they need to do that to get someone to pay attention to them. There are so many more people in this world that honestly need the assistance of mental health professionals, but because Susie's "boyfriend" broke up with her, mommy is gonna send her to a shrink, because she's just not herself, they cannot get the help they need.

Another thing that pisses me off is these doctors themselves. It has been statistically proven that the majority of depressed or mentally ill individuals are less than wealthy. These are the people who need assistance and they can't afford to pay $125 an hour to get it! That's ridiculous.

I was under the care of a psychiatrist for about a year a while back and I was diagnosed with clinical depression. Until my parents sent me to her, I had no idea what was going on with me. Through my diagnosis and sessions, I learned so much about myself and I know how to keep myself healthy and happy, luckily without the aid of antidepressants. I know the kind of person that I am, and they would not have been the right choice for me. I see it a lot, antidepressant are so overused. Doctors don't take the time to sit and learn about their patient before pumping them full of potentially life changing drugs.

I would ramble for days, but I must go...
bingbong
Town Selectman

Community Points: 1271

View Profile
« Reply #11563 on: November 27, 2007, 03:40:19 pm »

...Another thing that pisses me off is these doctors themselves. It has been statistically proven that the majority of depressed or mentally ill individuals are less than wealthy. These are the people who need assistance and they can't afford to pay $125 an hour to get it! That's ridiculous.

I was under the care of a psychiatrist for about a year a while back and I was diagnosed with clinical depression. Until my parents sent me to her, I had no idea what was going on with me. Through my diagnosis and sessions, I learned so much about myself and I know how to keep myself healthy and happy, luckily without the aid of antidepressants. I know the kind of person that I am, and they would not have been the right choice for me. I see it a lot, antidepressant are so overused. Doctors don't take the time to sit and learn about their patient before pumping them full of potentially life changing drugs.
I would ramble for days, but I must go...

I will add that i am sorry to hear what you've gone through but happy to hear that things have turned for the better. More power to yuh!

I agree with your statements completely. Not only are these doctors too expensive but many don't give a damn about their patients. They would rather throw pills at the problem rather than truly treat their patients. I have seen way too much of this. I am only speaking about the U.S. of course (knowing people from other countries are on this thread). It was fortunate for you that you were treated properly and not drugged up the way so many people are.

Signature courtesy of SKFTEX
Lovefiend
Yale Alumnus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11564 on: November 27, 2007, 04:39:08 pm »

Hmm, I agree with your sentiments, but I completely and utterly disagree with the anti-drug policy. For reasons I will not pile upon ya'll right now, since they're not really worth the wasted posting space.

Clincical depression is a physiological problem. Therefore sitting around and talking about how you were abused as a child won't fix it. Wallowing in your problems for an hour a week will not magically multiply the number of wavering serotinin receptors in your brain.

MiniPink
Pages: 1 ... 769 770 [771] 772 773 ... 895
  Print  

Jump to: