GilmoreGirls.org Forum
September 20, 2021, 10:22:38 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: TV  Remember that feeling you got when watching Gilmore episodes for the first time?  Relive it!  With us!  Join the viewing party, A Gilmore RevisitingTV

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  
Author Topic: ORG Forum Book Club  (Read 27571 times)
QweenB
Pretty Town Spinster

Community Points: 568

RIP Phantom

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2008, 07:30:34 pm »

Well considering that nearly two weeks has passed since my last post I think this is a valid double post. The fourth set deadline has come and gone and having finished the book and waiting impatiently for some conversation has gotten me nowhere I thought I would continue with my thoughts from the fifth set of letters being letters 25 - 30.

Something that has really struck me is how the...Londoners? Society types? are so SELFISH!!!!! First for James Martin to rudely impose on people he doesnt know in the previous set of letters and then to read as Mrs Johnson tells Lady Susan to think more of herself and less of her daughter. What did Frederica do to these people?!?! They have no consideration what-so-ever about her feelings, you would think that Frederica must have commited some incredible crime to be treated so violently by her mother! Her own flesh and blood who hates her so much she wants to marry her off to the first rich idiot she can come across!

And it now seems that Mainwaring is just as rude and selfish as the rest of them (not that we didnt already know this with the way he treats his poor wife) but to suggest to Mrs Johnson that he may also impose on the Vernons out of desperation to see Lady Susan. I thought that manners were important 'back in the day' and that simple things such as asking someones age was considered an insult but inviting yourself to stay at a strangers house unnannounced is forgivable? For 'well bred' types they have no class.
I love that Mrs Johnson loathes Mainwarings wife for being stupid enough to marry him (good reason to hate him) yet finds it reasonable for Lady Susan to marry him. I also love that she is happy to accept her husbands wishes not to have Lady Susan stay with them as she 'needs his money' but she is happy enough to 'misconstrue' his words to imply that Lady Susan just cant sleep there!

I am amused that Mr Johnson is smart enough to experience issues with gout, or even times of health when it is most inconvenient for his wife but then I cant understand why he was stupid enoguh to marry her if he knows how pathetic she is, and why he allowed his charge to marry Mainwaring. At this point i have not quite figured him out. Lady Susan apparently hates Mr Johnson because of his gouty ways (another stupid excuse for hating someone) and while she cant understand why Mrs Johnson married him, she is not inclined to hate her in the same way she hates Mrs Mainwaring for apparently the same reason! And while Mrs Mainwaring was apparently stupid for marrying Mr Mainwaring, Lady Susan sees him as a far more superior match for herself than Reginald! The woman is off her tree!

Meanwhile, when did Reginald and Lady Susan discuss marriage? I know that Reginald was fond of her but I thought that they were 'just friends' and he had no desire to marry her and was even angry at her!

i think thats enough venting from me right now!

B xxx

Courtney Fan!
Got me a hand full of Barbie!
Shut ya gob!
Ditto!
Honourary South Af
Byder
Gilmore Maid

Community Points: 114

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2008, 10:15:46 pm »

Ello there!!!

Firstly, B, I don't think its a bad thing you double posting!! Secondly, I need to apologies to everyone for not being around much lately, life has just gone totally 'hey wire' (is that how you say that?) My boss came back from America with 5 new signed contracts and dumped a huge amount of work on us! My dad has been having serious back issues and is finally (most likely) going into surgery this week which put him in bed for the next 6 weeks (past my brothers wedding) which is also creeping up quicker than I would like. I need to organise bacherlors and pull the quiet a bit of the weight in the family & study for my theological exam coming up on the 11th of Nov!!! Aaaaaah Sad So big apologies for not being around.

Now with all that said... I know I need to get focused on the Book Club coz well it was in most cases my idea to get it going... so yeah I must get back into it!!! Which I plan too!!! I plan to start sneaking some time at work, round lunch to spend on the ORG!!

So I'll be back Smiley

C

Thanks to QweenB and MasBYUgal for the Awesome Sig!
IM me! Anytime!
'Ditto'
QweenB
Pretty Town Spinster

RIP Phantom

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2008, 08:21:55 pm »

Sounds like some crazy times hun! I will keep your book club seat warm for you in your absence...*puts on her Christopher Hat*

Hey everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Does anyone have any thoughts on B's comments!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
I agree with her 100% because I think she is the most intelligent girl in the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

C

Courtney Fan!
Shut ya gob!
Ditto!
Honourary South Af
Byder
Gilmore Maid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2008, 10:00:52 pm »

HAHA!! Brilliant!!

*Puts on QweenB's hat* - just for kicks

Hello everyone,
Wow Chris, you agree with me 100%, that's fantastic.. I am so flattered, most intelligent girl in the world!!!
So Chris I wanna know your thoughts!! Smiley
B xxx

IM me! Anytime!
'Ditto'
Byder
Gilmore Maid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2008, 06:59:16 am »

So I am double posting! Deal with it! HAHAHA!!

Anyway, so been reading yeah Smiley
So just trying to remember exactly but hows the way the letters are going back and forth, even to the point that the one lady sends of copy of her fathers letter to Reginald to another... Its like, hey lets just share someone else's private letter with another by enclosing the original letter with hers.
I find that a bit hectic!!!!
Cheesy

IM me! Anytime!
'Ditto'
QweenB
Pretty Town Spinster

RIP Phantom

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 06, 2008, 07:43:06 pm »

Ok, well I figured I would come in here and talk to myself about the next set of letters being 31-36.

I really felt dirty on Lady Susan in letter 31, sending the adoring Reginald to Mrs Johnson and encouraging her to flirt with him while she entertained Wainwaring! What a bitch! Just pick a guy already and stop dragging the other poor sod through your sordid affairs! These women have no morals!

It doesnt take long for the reader to get the last laugh when everything falls apart at Edward Street. Yet Lady Susan is still so sure that she can bluff her way through all of the drama! She is so confident of her effect on men isnt she!

Poor Reginald is so angry and humiliated, I just want to cuddle him!

B xxx

Courtney Fan!
Shut ya gob!
Ditto!
Honourary South Af
tennischic
Diner Chef

Community Points: 47

No one can make u feel inferior without ur consent

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 08, 2008, 12:31:19 pm »

Woman back then all they pretty much had was their "adoring charm and beauty" and they worked it to get what they wanted.

~ playin till dawn ~
*Berkley*

Byder
Gilmore Maid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2008, 01:19:30 am »

After tuesday I am so back here!! My dad will be home, my exam will be done, and my life will return to some form of normality!!!
Actually gonna do some reading here at work today, coz I am just rendering some stuff!! Cheesy
~C

EDIT: So I just read the first 3 of this weeks letters here at work! Wow, Lady Susan is one seriously devious and dodgy lass. She is weaving herself one crazy big web of lies and deceit... I am actually also amazed at Mrs. Johnson, and the fact that she has simply gone along (and stuck with) Lady Susan in spreading all these lies.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 06:47:16 am by Byder » Logged

IM me! Anytime!
'Ditto'
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  

Jump to: