GilmoreGirls.org Forum
October 26, 2021, 12:18:57 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Star  Are you new to the ORG Forum?  Perhaps you're a longtime member.  Either way, read the Forum rules to stay informed on proper etiquette.  Cheerio!  Star

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: ORG Forum Book Club  (Read 28334 times)
Byder
Gilmore Maid

Community Points: 114

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2008, 02:28:39 am »

So we're into the second set of six letters!!! Smiley Yay!!!

So my little views of next two letters....

7) Lady Susan continues here abuse of Frederica, yet at the same time is trying to have her paired off with Sir James. What sort of an outcome is she expecting when she tells Mrs. Johnson that Frederica is a stupid girl, but still asks her to keep Sir James around. What if he were to find out what Frederica's mother thinks of her?! Seems a little twisted in my opinion... but so far is following the character traits of Lady Susan.

Cool So Reggie (hehe) is staying on a bit, on the basis its for a spot of Hunting?! Haha, like Mrs. Vernon says... its more likely that he nows thinks highly of Lady Susan. I am suspecting that Mrs. Vernon will have something to say if anything were to happen between Reggie and Lady Susan, especially considering her an unprincipled women

Hey Court!!!
Great to have you back on le ORG!!! You can definitely still get involved in the book club.. we're only 14 letters in and most of the letters are quite short!!!
and lets hope dreams come true Cheesy Cheesy

~C

Thanks to QweenB and MasBYUgal for the Awesome Sig!
IM me! Anytime!
'Ditto'
tennischic
Diner Chef

Community Points: 47

No one can make u feel inferior without ur consent

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2008, 04:18:47 pm »

Welcome Court! I am all for dreams coming true so you go for it chic!
Plz join in! We would be happy to have ya!

Now to the topic of Lady Susan..

Word on the whole Frederica situation. It is very twisted but it gives great rising action to the plot.

Now why is Reggie attracted to Lady Susan may I ask?! The boy needs a reality check but there is someone for everyone I guess. Oh and hunting Chirs? That is one way of putting it and I kinda like putting it that way. Lets our imaginations wander :Smiley hehe

Sry for the short post everyone I hope to post more soon though! I know the post sounds rush cause well I am a tad rushed at the moment but lots of luv to all you book club members! Blow Kiss

« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 04:24:40 pm by tennischic » Logged

~ playin till dawn ~
*Berkley*

QweenB
Pretty Town Spinster

Community Points: 568

RIP Phantom

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2008, 06:51:05 pm »

Hey everyone! Half of my office is on leave at the moment and I am dealing with a huge workload so Im a little absent this week. Anyway...

I love that Lady Susan's idea of an 'education' is to know how to sing and play instruments. I agree that playing an instrument is an incredible skill and all but the way she snubs the idea of learning languages, sciences and art is quite amusing. I know that to this day there are still etiquette schools about (I personally think its a good idea to learn social skills and the cooking part I could do with too! Hehe!) but im sure that even back in those days a 'real education' was available. I wonder if it was more available and even expected for men to attend much more so than women. I love that Frederica is more likely to find a lover if she can draw, rather than if she speaks French.

Lady Susan LOVES to praise herself in her achievements! And I love that she finds her coniving ways to be an achievement. Poor Reginald is going to get hurt so bad! Mrs Vernon seems incredibly jealous at the fact that Lady Susan has managed to bewitch Reginald after all his forwarning! I wonder what it will lead her to do!!

B xxx

Courtney Fan!
Got me a hand full of Barbie!
Shut ya gob!
Ditto!
Honourary South Af
tennischic
Diner Chef

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2008, 02:14:10 pm »

I wonder if it was more available and even expected for men to attend much more so than women.

B xxx

Yes that is how it was back then. Woman were looked down on even im some circles for having a eduacation. Woman back then were also taught not to want a education but to want to learn skills that will impress there future suitors/husbands.
Ive also noticed Lady Susan does tend to have a infactuation with prasing herself though. Oh and does anyone see the forshadowing of Mrs Vernon and Lady Susan having issues in the future dealing with Reginald. Maybe even some scandilous issues? Wink

~ playin till dawn ~
*Berkley*

Byder
Gilmore Maid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2008, 12:34:51 am »

Hey B!!!
Hasn't just about every Jane Austen book expected a womens 'education' to be along the lines of singing, painting, playing the piano forte, etc?! I think it was just the expected thing of the era. I don't actually know much about the era, but was it when a 'good education' was available to women?! Wasn't that reserved for men (sorta hinted at in the movie Becoming Jane)
Hahaha, so true about Frederica!!!!

Hey Berkley!!
How you been?! Howz all the crazyness going?!
Its weird that it was an era where women were not expected to have a complete/full education.. but I suppose it went along with the, women can't vote thing too.

~C

IM me! Anytime!
'Ditto'
QweenB
Pretty Town Spinster

RIP Phantom

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2008, 04:56:54 pm »

As far as I can find in my researching of education around the time of Jane Austen, there was no real education system in place for men or women. If there was any structured education it wasnt something run by the government, it was generally run by the church. "Schools" were more so boarding houses for youths. It wasnt until the very end of her life that an education system was put in place in England.

Courtney Fan!
Shut ya gob!
Ditto!
Honourary South Af
tennischic
Diner Chef

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2008, 05:44:13 pm »

Hey C! My craziness is still crazy, of course, and well my drama adds on as the days goes by but I work the drama so im ok Wink
The woman rights thing was a complicated thing though so yes it does go along with that in a way but the whole process for both, although complicated, was worth it in my opinion.

@B - That info seems to add up to what ive studied it seems that area was just very difficult.

~ playin till dawn ~
*Berkley*

Byder
Gilmore Maid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2008, 03:23:08 am »

Hehe, what would life be without a little drama here and there... just a sprinkling... LMAO!!!! Cheesy

Weird, this whole education of the women in that time... I wonder which bright spark thought that crazy idea up?! Bizarre!!!

So howz everyone's reading going?! I've been sadly neglecting it a bit this week... but next week I am taking the week off, so I won't be posting but will be reading HARD!!! Yay!!!

Hope everyone is well!!!
~C

IM me! Anytime!
'Ditto'
tennischic
Diner Chef

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2008, 02:52:27 pm »

Well hello there Chris my reading is way behind im sry to say. Alot going on at the moment as you know and well some stupid person has now made me a DECA rep so I get to add that to my list Undecided but it will look wonderful on my college ap so I will deal.
But yes woman rights is a interesting topic now isnt it but seriously does anyone have any idea who was that little spark?

~ playin till dawn ~
*Berkley*

Byder
Gilmore Maid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2008, 02:17:32 am »

I cannot wait to get out the office!!! Get into a book, into the world, and away from all the kuk that my boss deals out... pisses me off... but thats my lifes drama lol!!!
Yeah, gonna get back from holiday in 2mondays time and gonna have so much to chat about on the ORG!!!
So keep on chatting!!! Cheesy
~C

IM me! Anytime!
'Ditto'
Lovefiend
Yale Alumnus

Community Points: 905

Shary's Stalkee, Lexie is my lil sis/ R.I.P BF

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2008, 03:33:04 am »

Well, since Yale was founded in 1701, there was education. It was limited to those who were to be doctors, lawyers, and a small number of other neccessary professions. And not women. Tongue
In 1728, Harvard added Mathematics, astronomy, and surveying to it's reportoire.
Wasn't till the education act of 1870 that women got to learn shizz!!
But they would have been taught by their Mothers, aunts etc how to cook, sew, possibly singing or dancing or playing the piano. So utterly useless things really!!!

~I wish I could touch you again, I wish I could still call you friend, I'd give, anything... ~

MiniPink
Byder
Gilmore Maid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2008, 12:05:20 am »

Hey everyone!!! So I am back from me weeks holiday!!! Not Yay, sadly back to work. Anyway, at least I am off again next weekend (having a long one) Yay!!!
So wotz happened to the Book Club since I left.... not much activity?!
So I have pretty much read the whole book on holz, but have lost track of which section we're on this week?! Do you know Berkley?!
~C

IM me! Anytime!
'Ditto'
QweenB
Pretty Town Spinster

RIP Phantom

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2008, 02:30:26 pm »

Hehe, I read it all too so I dont know what section I should be discussing, I have lost track. Interesting ending though Smiley

B xxx

Courtney Fan!
Shut ya gob!
Ditto!
Honourary South Af
tennischic
Diner Chef

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2008, 03:58:25 pm »

Hey C! How was ur vacation?   Smiley

Ello everyone else!  Cheesy We are in the fourth set of letters so does anyone have any good questions or topics they would like to discuss?

Here's the full schedule btw. Thought it would be good to repost.
Lady Susan Schedule:
Starting today to the twelfth is the first six letters
13th 27th is the second set of six letters
28th 5th  of Oct. is the third set of six letters
6th 20th is the fourth set of six letters
21st 4th  of November is the fifth set of six letters
5th 19th is the sixth set of six letters
20th 4th of December is the last set of letters but there will be five this time
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 04:00:31 pm by tennischic » Logged

~ playin till dawn ~
*Berkley*

QweenB
Pretty Town Spinster

RIP Phantom

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2008, 04:47:25 pm »

So that makes it letters...19 to 24???

I love how in letter 19, (Lady Susan to Mrs Johnson) she states that Frederica is good for Mrs Vernon because Mrs Vernon is only happy in inferior company! "She is exactly the companion for Mrs. Vernon, who dearly loves to be firm, and to have all the sense and all the wit of the conversation to herself: Frederica will never eclipse her."
Lady Susan is such a rude snob, her opinions of people are so bitchy! I love being able to imagine these comments in a modern conversation because women are still so 'cliquey'

I love how Sir James Martin shows up unannounced showing just how much class he lacks before he even opens his mouth. To invite himself to visit and then to invite himself to STAY! Poor Frederica is truelly horrified at the thought of being with him! I have developed a new found respect for her, I understand now that she isnt dumb in anyones eyes but her mothers and unfortunately her mother is the one describing her to the world. I wonder what she told James Martin about her because he is well and truelly smitten.

I dont know what to feel for Reginald. I dont know if I feel sorry for him for falling under Lady Susan's spell or if I pity him for being so stupid and quick to make decisions without taking time to think them through, hes very irrational.

B xxx

Courtney Fan!
Shut ya gob!
Ditto!
Honourary South Af
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to: