GilmoreGirls.org Forum
October 17, 2021, 08:36:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Snap  Heidi's Soapbox, now with a new poll! Vote, vote, vote!  Good times.  Best times!  Chomp

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: ORG Forum Book Club  (Read 28101 times)
honkifuluvGG
Pretty Town Spinster

Community Points: 1944

View Profile
« on: September 01, 2008, 09:12:36 pm »

Welcome to the ORG Forum Book Club's very own thread.

Byder and tennischic will be your contacts and hosts for this project, so if you have any questions or suggestions, these are the people to contact.

Keep your eye on this first post for the current book choice and it's discussions topics.  It will be updated as the books are chosen and become the topic of discussion.  We will also include a poll to choose the next book to be read and discussed, so if you are interested in getting involved dont forget to vote for your preferred choice.

The first book chosen for discussion is

Lady Susan by Jane Austen

Text Copy - http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/946
Audio Copy - http://librivox.org/lady-susan-by-jane-austen/

This abruptly finished--some would say unfinished--novel is told as a series of letters between the various characters, followed by a brief summary of subsequent events delivered by the author. It recounts the machinations of the corrupt Lady Susan as she schemes to marry off both herself and her young daughter to the greatest financial advantage. Though not as fully developed as Austen's complete novels, it still reflects her use of well-rounded characters as well as her keen eye for the details of nineteenth-century society manners. A must-read for Jane Austen fans!

Reading Schedule
Starting today to the 12th is the first six letters
13th – 27th is the second set of six letters
28th –5th  of Oct. is the third set of six letters
6th – 20th is the fourth set of six letters
21st – 4th  of November is the fifth set of six letters
5th –19th is the sixth set of six letters
20th –4th of December is the last set of letters but there will be five this time
We will discuss the letters read while starting on the next ones to keep up the club and the excitement! We will not have specific times to talk about the topics cause we know that won’t work out but we will have a list of topics for everyone to talk about randomly. You may send your topics ideas to me and I will compose a list to post for every set of letters.

We also need a title for the thread so if there are any literary genius' out there that can think of something, please post it below for discussion.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 11:59:29 pm by honkifuluvGG » Logged

Please read Forum Rules
Byder
Gilmore Maid

Community Points: 114

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 02:20:01 am »

Hey Caryn,
Thanks for setting this up! Its awesome stuff!! When I am not at work (so sometime this eve) I will get all the info together!!
Yay!!!!
C

Thanks to QweenB and MasBYUgal for the Awesome Sig!
IM me! Anytime!
'Ditto'
tennischic
Diner Chef

Community Points: 47

No one can make u feel inferior without ur consent

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 02:14:13 pm »

Hey Caryn,

Thank yuo SO much for setting this up. Me and Byder are very excited and we will work out a schedule very soon. I am just like super happy about this board. I believe its the start of something good my friend  Cheesy

@ C - lets get this thing goin shall we?  Grin

~ playin till dawn ~
*Berkley*

MasBYUgal
Inn Concierge

Community Points: 595

Org Awards : Best Sig Creator '06 & '07

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 02:21:32 pm »

OOOOhhhhh I love the idea, though I'm not a huge Jane Austen fan.  (I know shame on me!)  Yet, I might be willing to give it a try. 
'
Thread name ideas --- just brainstorming here
The Live Literati Society
Reading Is Sexy, So Let's Get It Ooonnnn!  Wink
Page Turners

I'm Melissa.

Just say, "Yes, M.A.M.M. !"
/Member of Queen B
tennischic
Diner Chef

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 03:13:18 pm »

Why thank you for the suggestions  Smiley and give Jane Austen a chance. You don't know what ur missin.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 04:21:01 pm by tennischic » Logged

~ playin till dawn ~
*Berkley*

honkifuluvGG
Pretty Town Spinster

Community Points: 1944

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 03:28:57 pm »

I actually stated to post thread name suggestions here in the thread Berkley.  Titles of threads should really be discussed so that we get one that the wider community is happy with.  If they are out there for the members to see then it might trigger a new suggestion or end up being one that the greater majority love.

Melissa:  Love the suggestions btw.  LOL - let's get it ooonnn.  Exactly what sort of books do you think we're reading  Wink?  Good to see you back around here a bit more hun.  Missed you!  And I believe I recently missed your birthday so a happy one I hope you had. Kiss

« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 03:35:58 pm by honkifuluvGG » Logged

Please read Forum Rules
pwrofluv
Diner Regular

Community Points: 27

When McDonald's hits Africa...:)

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 04:14:52 pm »

i have finally started reading! so how many letters were we supposed to read a week? i'm only on the second one considering i started about 5 minutes ago, but it's a start!

tennischic
Diner Chef

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 04:20:43 pm »

I actually stated to post thread name suggestions here in the thread Berkley.  Titles of threads should really be discussed so that we get one that the wider community is happy with.  If they are out there for the members to see then it might trigger a new suggestion or end up being one that the greater majority love.

Melissa:  Love the suggestions btw.  LOL - let's get it ooonnn.  Exactly what sort of books do you think we're reading  Wink?  Good to see you back around here a bit more hun.  Missed you!  And I believe I recently missed your birthday so a happy one I hope you had. Kiss

@Caryn -Ok sounds good ill modfiy the post
@ pwrofluv- we will be posting the final details of how many letters a week sometime very soon so just keep reading  Cheesy

~ playin till dawn ~
*Berkley*

MasBYUgal
Inn Concierge

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 06:04:14 pm »

LOL, Caryn ... I was hoping for something exotic!  No, I was just brainstorming and I thought hhmmm.... what can we use with a Gilmore Girl link ... and I thought of that shirt really.  I do like the idea of a book club and I JUST MIGHT GIVE Jane a try.

tennischic  / (Berkley?)  : I have tried to read a bit of her stuff and I just haven't gotten thru much.  I don't mind description and all, but I like the plot to move.  I have to admit the plot of this sounds interesting and I've been interested in doing a book club, and online here I think could be really interesting.    (( OH and by the way, I'm Melissa, I've been absent for awhile, but I'm trying to re-activate myself a little more.  *shakes hands* Nice to meet you!))

Out of curiosity how long is the book?  And in terms of a schedule, I'm curious what are some of the ideas.  I haven't found much time to read lately being a busy mom and I know others are busy with the start of school, so I'm curious how much reading we're talking about.  Please don't read this as the lazy one who doesn't want to do anything, I'm just curious, what I'm up against. I am a reader - for example the unabridged Les Mis, is one of my favorites and I read in about a week in HS.  I was just wondering what the ideas are and how the 'club' would work.

edit:  Oh and thanks for the Belated Caryn ... good memory.  It was a good b-day (better than last year when I was so sick!), it made a good weekend and I was spoiled.  Still have yet to get my big gift, a brand new camera, I can't wait, but we haven't decided on what to get!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 06:09:28 pm by MasBYUgal » Logged

I'm Melissa.

/Member of Queen B
tennischic
Diner Chef

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 07:56:16 pm »

tennischic  / (Berkley?)  : I have tried to read a bit of her stuff and I just haven't gotten thru much.  I don't mind description and all, but I like the plot to move.  I have to admit the plot of this sounds interesting and I've been interested in doing a book club, and online here I think could be really interesting.    (( OH and by the way, I'm Melissa, I've been absent for awhile, but I'm trying to re-activate myself a little more.  *shakes hands* Nice to meet you!))

Out of curiosity how long is the book?  And in terms of a schedule, I'm curious what are some of the ideas.  I haven't found much time to read lately being a busy mom and I know others are busy with the start of school, so I'm curious how much reading we're talking about.  Please don't read this as the lazy one who doesn't want to do anything, I'm just curious, what I'm up against. I am a reader - for example the unabridged Les Mis, is one of my favorites and I read in about a week in HS.  I was just wondering what the ideas are and how the 'club' would work.

Hey Melissa! Yes my name is Berkley and Lady Susan is a very short book that is composed of letters she wrote to people.( Im terribly horrible at explaining books ) Here is the synopsis : This abruptly finished--some would say unfinished--novel is told as a series of letters between the various characters, followed by a brief summary of subsequent events delivered by the author. It recounts the machinations of the corrupt Lady Susan as she schemes to marry off both herself and her young daughter to the greatest financial advantage. Though not as fully developed as Austen's complete novels, it still reflects her use of well-rounded characters as well as her keen eye for the details of nineteenth-century society manners. A must-read for Jane Austen fans! but it is a very good book for me so far and we will have the schedule up very soon!  Smiley Give the book club a try & we wont make ya commit but we would apppreciate if ya give us a chance. i THINK what me and Byder were saying was 6 letters every two weeks Huh Im not sure but something along those lines and that is NOT very hard. And we have a few not accasional readers so no worries you will fit in just fine!  Wink

~ playin till dawn ~
*Berkley*

MasBYUgal
Inn Concierge

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2008, 08:22:30 pm »

Berkley - No worries, I actually will look forward to the discussion and I'm hoping a lot will participate in it. I just need to make a trip to my local library, something I've been meaning to do for a LONG time anyways. I need to find out the baby story time schedule.  And that reading schedule(and yes, I mock that you use the word schedule) sounds way excelente!  Laters and keep up the exciting work!  *pretty stick*

I'm Melissa.

/Member of Queen B
tennischic
Diner Chef

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2008, 02:17:25 am »

Haha nice well good luck with that and I look forward to hearing your opinion about the book! And why thank you for the mocking of my word usage  :Smiley it was a pleasure to read about at four in morning -ew- , which is what the time is here right now, I have woken up this early like a crazy person to write a paper so ttyl. - Berk

~ playin till dawn ~
*Berkley*

Byder
Gilmore Maid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2008, 03:16:05 am »

Way hey hey!
Great to see this thread picking up already!!!

@pwrofluv - Currently the schedule is 'unofficially' 6 letters every 2 weeks... but Berkley will be posting the schedule for the full book pretty soon... then we can get under way!!!

Yay!!!

C

IM me! Anytime!
'Ditto'
tennischic
Diner Chef

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2008, 04:28:29 am »

Ok everyone I have a schedule typed up now I am just waiting for my partner in crime to get on and give his approval  Grin

~ playin till dawn ~
*Berkley*

Byder
Gilmore Maid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2008, 04:56:00 am »

Looks AWESOME!!! Lets go for it!!! Cheesy

IM me! Anytime!
'Ditto'
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: