GilmoreGirls.org Forum
October 20, 2021, 10:40:25 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Star  Are you new to the ORG Forum?  Perhaps you're a longtime member.  Either way, read the Forum rules to stay informed on proper etiquette.  Cheerio!  Star

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: ORG Forum Book Club  (Read 28226 times)
tennischic
Diner Chef

Community Points: 47

No one can make u feel inferior without ur consent

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2008, 05:26:00 am »

Lady Susan Schedule:
Starting today to the twelfth is the first six letters
13th – 27th is the second set of six letters
28th –5th  of Oct. is the third set of six letters
6th – 20th is the fourth set of six letters
21st – 4th  of November is the fifth set of six letters
5th –19th is the sixth set of six letters
20th –4th of December is the last set of letters but there will be five this time
We will discuss the letters read while starting on the next ones to keep up the club and the excitement! We will not have specific times to talk about the topics cause we know that won’t work out but we will have a list of topics for everyone to talk about randomly. You may send your topics ideas to me and I will compose a list to post for every set of letters.

If you have any questions plz PM me anytime  Smiley and remember reading is SeXy!!!

~ playin till dawn ~
*Berkley*

Byder
Gilmore Maid

Community Points: 114

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2008, 05:28:18 am »

Totally Sexy!!! Cheesy Cheesy
Thanks for putting the time into this Berkley!!!
~C

Thanks to QweenB and MasBYUgal for the Awesome Sig!
IM me! Anytime!
'Ditto'
tennischic
Diner Chef

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2008, 03:57:05 pm »

Anytime my friend anytime  Cheesy

~ playin till dawn ~
*Berkley*

pwrofluv
Diner Regular

Community Points: 27

When McDonald's hits Africa...:)

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2008, 06:16:14 pm »

hey, i'm sorry but, i read the 1st 3 letters, and i'm not liking it so much. i'm not sure if it's my kind of book.

tennischic
Diner Chef

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2008, 06:36:11 pm »

Im sry to hear that though three letters is not very much but thnx for giving it a shot anyways.

~ playin till dawn ~
*Berkley*

pwrofluv
Diner Regular

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2008, 06:45:11 pm »

well, i might keep trying.

so how have you been? and check out my new thread on the community center thing.

tennischic
Diner Chef

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2008, 07:10:47 pm »

Good thnx to a certain guy named Jess  Cheesy and whats the name of the thread hmm?

~ playin till dawn ~
*Berkley*

pwrofluv
Diner Regular

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2008, 01:51:27 pm »

well, it was there last night, but now it has mysteriously dissapeared. it was called the random discussion thread. idk what happened.

tennischic
Diner Chef

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2008, 03:51:48 pm »

It may have gotten bumped. You could ask honkifuluvgg.

~ playin till dawn ~
*Berkley*

Byder
Gilmore Maid

Community Points: 114

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2008, 03:00:40 am »

Hey, so howz everyone's reading going?!
Can't wait to get the discussions going... its gonna be awesomeo!!!
~C

Thanks to QweenB and MasBYUgal for the Awesome Sig!
IM me! Anytime!
'Ditto'
Mr Funkadelic
Gilmore Maid

Community Points: 112

if you got Funk you got Style

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2008, 03:05:46 am »

the reading is going well.....I'm at letter number 12 going slow....where are you now?

Rory: [on phone with Lorelai] I told you to call my landline. My cell phone bill is astronomical.
Lorelai: But a conversation with me - priceless
-
Java Junkies and Headliners rulez!!!!
Founding member of the QweenB Fanclub
tennischic
Diner Chef

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2008, 05:25:37 am »

Im not actually sure. Im also reading a book for one of my classes so I can't keep up  Undecided but my reading is coming along but im pretty sure Mr. F is beating me though.

~ playin till dawn ~
*Berkley*

pwrofluv
Diner Regular

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2008, 03:15:10 pm »

yeah, i'm reading 3 books right now in school, so this one isn't an option for me right now. i'm also soooooper busy! so, i wont be able to read this one. but maybe the next book we choose i might be able to read. sorry! Embarrassed

tennischic
Diner Chef

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2008, 02:54:03 pm »

ok ppl Monday we start our discussions!

~ playin till dawn ~
*Berkley*

QweenB
Pretty Town Spinster

Community Points: 568

RIP Phantom

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2008, 06:29:33 pm »

Hey everyone!

I decided to join in on your book club (mainly because of my love for Jane Austen)

Its Monday here so I thought I would be the sucker who goes first! I dont know if you have set a precident as to how you want to approach your discussions but I have read the first six letters and am going to lay my thoughts out on the table and figured that people will put there own comments in and then we can discuss our opinions. I have to appologise if it is too structured, I cant help it, its how I was taught to analyse.

B xxx

The QweenB analysis of Lady Susan so far

Lady Susan Vernon is a selfish widow who is intent on securing a new husband only weeks after the death of her late husband. Her daughter Frederica is neglected (tended to by governess’ and sent to boarding school) and is incensed at her mothers desire to find each of them a suitable husband. Through her pursuits she has managed to alienate herself from the females of her family.

Lady Susan is attracting and pursuing the attentions of Mr Mainwaring, who is married. While focusing her flirtations on Mr Mainwairing she also manages to detach Sir James Martin from Mr Mainwaring’s sister Maria for personal gain in a hope of winning Sir James for Frederica.

Lady Susan lives beyond her means for the sake of making connections, when she ‘deposits’ Frederica in boarding school, she does so to get her out of her hair and in a hope that she will make friends with the well connected girls even though “The price is immense, and much beyond what I can ever attempt to pay.”

Overall, Lady Susan seems to lack morals in her pursuit to secure a new husband, even if she does have the taste not to marry ‘just for money’. While staying in Langford, Lady Susan manages to offend her hosts by “engaging at the same time, and in the same house, the affections of two men, who were neither of them at liberty to bestow them”. She is quite comfortable stepping all over innocent people to secure her own happiness.

Miss Frederica Vernon is an unfortunate product of her mother’s neglect. Her poor education has left her ‘dull’ and her family standing has made her unnecessarily proud. As her mother gallivants around society creating a tangled web of distasteful gossip, the value of Frederica’s family standing diminishes and public opinion of her reduces to contempt and the chances of her making a suitable match seem impossible. I can only presume that Frederica refuses her mothers matching her with Sir James out of spite. Should Frederica have the intelligence to understand her position, it would be assumed she may have accepted.

Mrs Catherine Vernon, in stark comparison to Lady Susan seems to be a very intelligent and stable woman. She understands that her husband (Mr Charles Vernon) is a kind and generous man who has been played by the manipulative Lady Susan. She shows motherly affection for her own children, pity for Frederica and caution wherever Lady Susan is concerned. Mrs Vernon hides her contempt and submits to her duty when Lady Susan forces her presence on her brother in law on such a short notice without regard for common courtesy; bestowing fake flattery and encouraging sympathy for her situation.

It is interesting to see that Mrs Vernon stands by her decree not to be swayed by Lady Susan’s charms. While coming across as well bred, Mrs Vernon still manages to make Lady Susan aware that she is not drawn in to her act, even though she finds Lady Susan’s demeanor to be so enticing that she can understand the power she possesses. This leads Lady Susan to hypocritically refer to Mrs Vernon as “illiberal and vindictive”. After the disservice Lady Susan could have caused by attempting to break off (Miss De Coursy’s) courtship with Mr Vernon, it would not be seen as out of line for Mrs Vernon to deny Lady Susan admittance to her home.

Mrs Vernon shows that while she has a steady head she also possesses a mischievous streak; this can be seen in her letter to her mother when she mentions “Reginald has long wished, I know, to see the captivating Lady Susan” While this is true, it is also somewhat tongue in cheek as Reginald refers to Lady Susan as “the most accomplished coquette in England” thus showing that Mrs Vernon and her brother share a joke at Lady Susan’s expense. A flirt himself, Reginald feels Lady Susan’s flirtations go beyond the unspoken rules of ‘the game’.

Jane Austen has opened the story with determination! By showing Lady Susan to be an immoral, selfish and gossipy woman with a high opinion of herself in the first two letters, she sets her up as the villain right from the start. The interesting part is that it is not the opinions of others that make the reader take a dislike to Lady Susan, but her own shallow words.

I feel that Jane Austen is (once again) examining ‘the human condition’ and how our situation determines how our life progresses. If you look at the offspring of the two Vernon families, both born into families of considerable wealth and standing, yet destined to walk very different paths in life. I think this broaches a “Nature V Nurture” debate! My question to all is “Do you feel that children should be raised letting nature guide them or should they be nurtured and guided in their choices?” A good example of this that all the gossip magazines are committed to showing the world is the difference in how Suri Cruise is being raised in comparison to Shiloh Jolie Pitt. While Suri is allowed to throw tantrums and draw on the walls without discipline, Shiloh is shown love, taught obedience.

So there it is! I hope it envokes some thought, some outrage, some anything, hehe!

B xxx

Courtney Fan!
Got me a hand full of Barbie!
Shut ya gob!
Ditto!
Honourary South Af
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: