GilmoreGirls.org Forum
May 21, 2022, 03:51:34 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Snap  Heidi's Soapbox, now with a new poll! Vote, vote, vote!  Good times.  Best times!  Chomp

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Who's Rory's Perfect Match?
Jess - 5 (27.8%)
Dean - 0 (0%)
Marty - 2 (11.1%)
Logan - 10 (55.6%)
Steve - 0 (0%)
Other - 1 (5.6%)
Total Voters: 18

Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143
  Print  
Author Topic: Rory's Boyfriends Discussion  (Read 519242 times)
tennischic
Diner Chef

Community Points: 47

No one can make u feel inferior without ur consent

View Profile
« Reply #2115 on: August 20, 2008, 02:11:00 pm »

It was the first real responsible thing he had ever really done so i was proud of the boy for having the guts!  Cheesy

~ playin till dawn ~
*Berkley*

sid
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 3

View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: August 23, 2008, 01:31:43 am »

Yes I think it was, especially considering the fact that Rory went to see him with the idea that she could cheat on Logan like he cheated on her.

I just think that it would have been nice if the writers had given a little of the same respect to Dean's character and had just let the boy walk away (possibly after the second break up or let him get married and it have its problems without bringing it back to Rory) instead of creating a character and then wasting him for no good reason as IMO the whole Rory and Dean saga, not only makes Dean look pathetic but makes Rory come off bad.

(Sorry, it kind of annoys me when shows do that, especially when they keep the character around for no good reason than they might have a use for them later. 

At least the writers let Jess have a real story arc and eventually leave Stars Hollow, so giving viewers the impression he had a life when he wasn't with Rory, as I think if he had stayed in Stars Hollow he wouldn't have matured to the point where he would have told Rory to go after she kissed him in season six).
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 01:37:23 am by sid » Logged
tennischic
Diner Chef

View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: August 24, 2008, 10:22:51 am »

Oh dont apologize! That is what this thread is for my man!  Cheesy I love hearing your opinion on Rory's Boyfriends. Its interesting and i agree with lik 99% of it so I can give my feedback pretty easily.

~ playin till dawn ~
*Berkley*

sid
Stars Hollow Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: August 26, 2008, 10:47:38 am »

Sorry - I'm just waiting for someone to start heckling me for defending Dean (even though I don't think him and Rory would have worked long term).

Actually, when he's not asking why Rory doesn't love him (which IMO also dragged down Luke into a mire he didn't need to be in,) or being made to chase after the girl, I think he was an alright character who was left underdeveloped, hence the convient rewriting whenever the writers wanted someone fawn over Rory.   

The writers couldn't do that to Jess who was a much more rounded character and had a much better story line.

And I think you would be right Dean probably wouldn't have said anything to Rory when she dropped out of school, not because he wouldn't have had anything to say, but because everytime he get involved in Rory Gilmore's life it always seems to bite him in the ass.

Actually, can someone please help me as I can't remember if other than Luke telling Rory not to go to the wedding was there any comeback at all from Dean's drunken confession?
thevoid99
Diner Regular

Community Points: 19

Shame on our dirty little hearts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2119 on: August 26, 2008, 02:23:59 pm »

I saw that episode I think on Friday. 

In his drunken state, he said "Rory" and then asked "Why didn't she love me?"

Then he woke up, he was getting ready to be married but Luke was about to ask him something and nothing came of it.  I think that was the moment that Luke's perception of Dean started to change.  A young man, still hung up on Rory, about to get married and have no clue about the concept of marriage.

Lindsay, was not a great character, though it wasn't entirely fair that she was pegged as this selfish girl who kept Dean down in order to have him drop out of school so he can keep working to get some townhouse.  Dean treated her like crap too because he didn't want to spend some quality time with her and they were always fighting.  She wanted to work things out, feed him, and do things like any other wife. 

When she and Dean split, Dean didn't really take much responsibility over his role in the break-up of the marriage.  Luke's mistrust of him is due to what happen and he was trying to protect Rory from being hurt.

Dean, I think, felt that Luke should've minded his own business but it is Luke's business since he was dating Lorelai at the time and was the one who saw Dean pining for Rory when he was married to Lindsay.  After he and Rory broke up, he had a lot of resentment towards Luke for not just getting a Gilmore Girl but also for ruining his relationship with Rory in a lot of ways.  Most of all, bringing Jess into Stars Hollow.

After that, no one heard from him.  I think the writers had nowhere to go with Dean.  Jess was a more interesting character where he was this bad boy trying so hard to be a good boyfriend for Rory and a good nephew that he failed.  Then, he returns to Stars Hollow briefly where all of his anger and resents catch up to him when he realizes how much he cares about Rory and is ashamed that he disappointed her and Luke.  With Luke, he got another chance but Rory, was so hurt by what Jess did that she didn't give him a second chance.  A move that I think, she later regretted when she dropped out of Yale and became estranged with her mother.  Particularly when Jess returned into her life, having acheived something and is doing something with his life forcing her to wake up and do things again.  Jess in the end, had his own happy ending while Dean, never got a happy ending. 

Even in fan fiction, particularly Virtual Gilmore Girls, where in the eighth season.  Only Jess and Logan each made an appearance because both men have always got something to offer for Rory.  Jess helped her cope with her insecurities as a writer and her editor's criticism while being on the road.  With Logan, she confessed her unhappiness on the road as well as her work as he assured her to think about what she wanted to do.  Both had very helpful and I was glad the writers of Virtual Gilmore Girls Season 8 brought those 2 guys.  Dean was only mentioned once in a conversation when Rory had another of her meltdown over the failure of her career and returning to Stars Hollow not really doing anything.  Lorelai was trying to comfort her knowing that when Rory had gone to Yale, somewhere she lost her confidence where she went to Dean and everything had gone to hell in the fifth and sixth season.  Yet, Rory did prosper while in Virtual Season 8, she had a one-night stand that didn't really go well though the guy she slept with was a good person.  Yet, the writers chose to focus on her career while I'm trying to see where they take Rory next in the 9th season coming in late Sept.

I think the question that Dean fans is, whatever did happen to him?  Did he leave Stars Hollow?  Has he found someone he can be happy with?
sid
Stars Hollow Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: August 26, 2008, 02:38:10 pm »

Actually I was just wondering if the drunken confession was ever mentioned again, you know like Dean and Luke actually discussing it or acting uncomfortable about it or even Dean acknowledging the fact he actually said it (because I can't remember him admitting he said it when sober), after that  episode  - not anything else.

thevoid99
Diner Regular

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2121 on: August 26, 2008, 04:00:03 pm »

No.  That confession was never mentioned again.  In "Scenes from a Mall", Luke did see Dean looking at Rory very longingly that only got Dean in more trouble.
tennischic
Diner Chef

View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: August 26, 2008, 04:00:50 pm »

Yeah it was never metioned again but that wouldve made one hell of an episode!  Wink

~ playin till dawn ~
*Berkley*

gilmorefan113
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 0

View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: August 28, 2008, 06:58:20 pm »

it so would have made a good episode, but it would be too much. i don't think that rory ever loved him, just like lorelai never loved max. besides, jess was better for her. she should have ended up with him, not logan Tongue
thevoid99
Diner Regular

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2124 on: August 28, 2008, 07:54:23 pm »

Jess I think could've been the perfect boyfriend, especially in how he turned out in the end.  Yet, I think they're better as friends and colleagues.  They care about each other and enjoy each other's company.  Logan, is almost the perfect boyfriend as his character grew knowing that he is a screw-up and is just willing to be there for Rory. 

What about Marty and Tristin?
tennischic
Diner Chef

View Profile
« Reply #2125 on: August 28, 2008, 08:16:18 pm »

Tristin was going nowhere obviously and Marty well I liked him when he first started on the show but in the last season his whole character screwed up and I didnt like that one bit and I didnt like how his character like disappeared after Logan came around.

~ playin till dawn ~
*Berkley*

sid
Stars Hollow Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: August 29, 2008, 09:56:03 am »

Having Dean and Luke talk about the confession would have been fun to watch just for the entertainment value even if it didn't get back to Rory.

As for Tristan, to me, him and Logan are very similar characters - rich screw ups who given time and the right circumstances would eventually mature; great for college but I'm not too sure either would have been right for Rory in the long run.
LoveMe011
Chilton Graduate

Community Points: 104

View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: August 29, 2008, 11:32:52 am »

Having Dean and Luke talk about the confession would have been fun to watch just for the entertainment value even if it didn't get back to Rory.

As for Tristan, to me, him and Logan are very similar characters - rich screw ups who given time and the right circumstances would eventually mature; great for college but I'm not too sure either would have been right for Rory in the long run.

You took the words right out of my mouth! I do think Logan has a bit more drive toward the responsible side than Tristan does, but I think Logan's is more motivated by trying to get away from his father's line of work and persue his own goals.

[Cassy]
-Literati.
-Java Junkie.

Rory:I love you, mom.
Lorelai:Aw...kid, you have no idea.
tennischic
Diner Chef

View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: August 29, 2008, 08:58:26 pm »

You took the words right out of my mouth! I do think Logan has a bit more drive toward the responsible side than Tristan does, but I think Logan's is more motivated by trying to get away from his father's line of work and persue his own goals.

Agreed. You guys both took the words out of my mouth  Cheesy

~ playin till dawn ~
*Berkley*

nikki
Stars Hollow High Student

Community Points: 37

Come check out the Great8Mandate!

View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: March 07, 2010, 04:40:58 pm »

LOL, who is Steve? Am I missing something, or was that a joke?

I really liked Marty and saw a lot of potential for him to be a good match for Rory. I was thinking about starting a Nudist thread here (especially since Liz and TJ have one) but I guess those should only be reserved for pairs that were actually couples on the show.

I liked how the few times we saw him in season 4, he wasn't smitten with Rory and wished the show had let them develop a friendship like Luke and Lorelai that eventually blossomed into romance.

Since I was so dissatisfied with how the show handled Marty, I decided to rewrite history and wrote my own fanfic of how Rory and Marty's story could have gone. I posted about it here in the FanFiction thread.

As a general statement about the boys in Rory's life, I think it would have been nice if just once on the show Rory would like a guy before he liked her. She liked Dean right away, but he already was interested in her by then. Tristin, Jess, Marty all liked her first. Even Logan, though the show tried to make it look like Rory "pursued" him. She's great, but she's not a siren for crying out loud.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 04:44:32 pm by nikki » Logged

Click here to become part of the Great8Mandate!
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143
  Print  

Jump to: