0-10 years old
10-15 years old
15-20 years old
20-25 years old
25-30 years old
30-40 years old
40-50 years old
50 and older

Author Topic: Introduction Thread: Getting to Know Each Other All Over Again  (Read 1245837 times)

Offline Marieke

• Stars Hollow Tourist
  • Community Points: 6
    • View Profile
Re: Introduction Thread: Getting to Know Each Other All Over Again
« Reply #5040 on: June 09, 2008, 04:11:32 am »
Hi!
I'm new, too.  =)
I live in Germany so I just speak this typical bad German-school-English (I'm 16). =D
I want to improve my English and I thought it might be a good idea to join this English GG-forum.
I own all seven seasons and I've watched all about three times. I started to watch it in English and at first it was very hard for me to understand every single word because they are talking very,very, very fast but by now it's no longer a problem.

I have one question:
In one episode Lorelai and Sookie want to buy flowers for the Lorelai and Luke wedding and when Lorelai and Sookie are talking I saw some little green papers (notes - I don't know the right word in English, I hope you understand me) on Lorelais blue jacket and Sookies scarf - did anyone noticed that?

Offline Tess

• Stars Hollow Tourist
  • Community Points: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5041 on: June 09, 2008, 06:12:44 am »
Welcome Tess!! I'm glad that you're here! I hope you enjoy the site, it's great and has many awesome people here!

I think that's just so cool that you never saw the Girls on TV when they were airing new episodes but that you have ALL the DVDs and episodes! How did you hear about the show to make you want to start watching it? You must have been impressed to get the DVD sets! :)

I am the same as you with Friends...watching it right now! I have all the seasons of that except 2, 5, and 10. I get them when they go on sale, so I'm getting there! :P

Hope to get to know you and see you around often! It's great to have another GG fan among us! Welcome!!

~Mel (Sooks)

Thank you very much!

Yeah, seems like there is some really nice people in here.  :)

Well, the reason why I started watching GG is that I used to watch the show on tv when there was nothing else that I wanted to see and I became fascinated by the show but I felt that I should have seen in from the beginning in order to get a better hang of it. So I decided to download the first season to see if it was my cup of tea, so to speak. And, needless to say it was.  ;)

Nice to hear that there are some Friends fans in here.  ;) I don't know anyone who likes Friends as much as I do.

Offline Tess

• Stars Hollow Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5042 on: June 09, 2008, 06:19:07 am »
Tess,  I am really a big Friends fan, too.  I have all ten seasons on DVD and watch them a lot.  More so before I really got into Gilmore Girls, but still a lot.  We usually have the TV on while we are eating dinner and usually we have Friends on and we are all quoting them.  So many times when someone says or does anything around here, we have Friends, Gilmore Girls, or Simpsons come backs.  It is really crazy.

I know what you mean, I also get some associations with Friends and other tv shows when soneone does or says something. It can have me in stitches and nobody else understands what I'm laughing at.  ;D I'm very proud of my Friends obsession.

Offline Tess

• Stars Hollow Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5043 on: June 09, 2008, 06:26:48 am »
Hi!
I'm new, too.  =)
I live in Germany so I just speak this typical bad German-school-English (I'm 16). =D
I want to improve my English and I thought it might be a good idea to join this English GG-forum.
I own all seven seasons and I've watched all about three times. I started to watch it in English and at first it was very hard for me to understand every single word because they are talking very,very, very fast but by now it's no longer a problem.

I have one question:
In one episode Lorelai and Sookie want to buy flowers for the Lorelai and Luke wedding and when Lorelai and Sookie are talking I saw some little green papers (notes - I don't know the right word in English, I hope you understand me) on Lorelais blue jacket and Sookies scarf - did anyone noticed that?

Hi,

Welcome!

There's nothing wrong with your English. And don't worry, my English is not the best either.  ;)

I know exactly what you mean! I decided to watch GG in English too, without any subtitles (in my country we don't dub tv shows, we have subtitles) and I never thought I'd understand what they were saying because they talk sooooo fast and use a lot of references to movies and people that I have never ever heard of. Luckily, I was able to understand practically everything at that made me so proud of myself and it also gave me a chance to keep my English alive.

About the question you asked: You mean post-it notes? I think I have some memory of that scene.

Offline Marieke

• Stars Hollow Tourist
  • Community Points: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5044 on: June 09, 2008, 10:30:30 am »

About the question you asked: You mean post-it notes? I think I have some memory of that scene.

yes, exactly! I was wondering why this post-it notes stuck on the clothes  ;D

Offline Tess

• Stars Hollow Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5045 on: June 09, 2008, 11:22:37 am »

yes, exactly! I was wondering why this post-it notes stuck on the clothes  ;D

I don't know really. Maybe they thought it was fun. They do some weird things sometimes.

Offline cherilee13

• Diner Chef
  • Community Points: 364
    • View Profile
« Reply #5046 on: June 09, 2008, 02:28:48 pm »
Lorelai and Sookie went to the flower mart and I am pretty sure that it wasn't post-its on their coats, it was tape.  Here at the outdoor marts of many kinds, you have to pay to get in. Usually just a couple of dollars. Then they put this tape on you so they know that you did pay to get in.  The color of the tape changes from day to day.  I guess it's like getting your hand stamped when you go into some places.

Welcome to gilmoregent and Marieke

Marieke - I don't really know that much about Germany, but my mother's family came over here from Germany.  Her last name was Zimmerman.

Hope you both enjoy yourself here.  You both 'speak' English very well. 

I'm Cheri
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 02:30:50 pm by cherilee13 »

Sig by Sooks/Mel ~ Thank you sweet friend

Offline Kylie90210

• Stars Hollow Tourist
  • Community Points: 0
  • L & L always
    • View Profile
    • 90210 After Dark Fan forum
« Reply #5047 on: June 10, 2008, 07:49:01 pm »
Hi, I'm Kylie, almost 22, from Australia.
While 90210 is my al time favourite show, GG is definately high up on the list after recently rewatching all 7 seasons on DVD. I saw seasons 1 - 4 years ago, and always liked the show but lost track. Then I receieved season one on DVD for Christmas, and my obsession took off. When my weekends were free I would spend all day watching episodes, it drove my boyfriend crazy! Anyway, other shows I love are:

Veronica Mars
Sex in the City
Friends
7th Heaven
Gray's Anatomy

And many more. I am a huge Tv show on DVD collector too :D

Offline cherilee13

• Diner Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5048 on: June 10, 2008, 08:04:35 pm »
Kylie90210, welcome to the org.  I hope that you really enjoy your stay here.  Everyone is really great.   I am a big TV on DVD fan as well.  Friends and Greys Anatomy are two of my other favorite shows, too, but Gilmore Girls is my #1 favorite. 

I'm Cheri from USA

Offline honkifuluvGG

• Pretty Town Spinster
  • Community Points: 1944
    • View Profile
« Reply #5049 on: June 10, 2008, 08:09:55 pm »
Yay for another Aussie.  Welcome Kylie.  I'm Caryn and I'm from Melbourne.  I also collect a lot of TV shows and movies on dvd - I think it kind of borders on obsession for me ;), but I blame the poor programming of Australian networks.

Tess - Welcome.  Always great to see another fan with all the dvds.  You should join in with the Viewing Party and have a chat about the episodes with other members.

gilmoregent - Welcome to you also.  Same goes for you.  If you want to speed it along a little there are some members taking part in a Viewing Party whereby we schedule an episode to be viewed each week (we are nearing the end of Season 2 at the moment) and then we chat about it in the episode threads.  This way there are a few of us all watching the same episode at a similar time and chatting about it throughout the week.  Otherwise most of the episode threads just get occasional comments now that the show is over and it can often be a one sided conversation.

Marieke - Welcome.  I think you are doing fantastically with your english.  We used to have a very active German community here at the ORG but sadly the majority have all disappeared in the last year or so.  Still a few around though.

If any of you have any questions please feel free to ask them either in the Q&A thread (we are a very friendly bunch) or you can PM me if you like.

Enjoy your ORG time
Caryn

Please read Forum Rules

Offline Sooks

• Inn Bellhop
  • Community Points: 1464
  • Life is Beautiful ~N. Sixx
    • View Profile
« Reply #5050 on: June 11, 2008, 07:48:25 pm »

gilmoregent Welcome! It's good to have someone such as yourself, with such freshness and energy again for Gilmore Girls, join us! I wish you the best with re-watching the episodes. As Caryn said, we have a great activity on forum, The Viewing Party, which you may enjoy taking part in. It's in the bottom of Caryn's sig (above) the link for that thread. It's a great way to discuss each episode as you watch it again. I know that every time I've watched a episode for that purpose, I find something new that I hadn't seen before (or for any purpose really) and I've seen most episodes several times. Your plan sounds great! I hope you enjoy every episode even more than you did the first time! I look forward to your thoughts!!

Marieke Welcome! I hope you find that it's fun here! I too, think your English is very good, don't worry! I'm glad that you decided to join! Post-It notes are pieces of paper with a sticky adhesive on the one side that will most likely stick to most surfaces. I don't know how well it will stick to clothes but to other paper is what they are typically used for. I hope that made sense. I too, though, think it was tape that they had on their scarf and jacket in that episode, I could be wrong. I'll have to watch it again. At any rate, welcome! Hope you'll stay! :)

Kylie I think you'll be in a good company here as many members share the same joy for the list of shows you enjoy! I had forgotten all about 90210! Ha! I hope you enjoy your time here! I know there are many Grey's fans here! :) Welcome!

Tess It's great to see you back and enjoying yourself! I look forward to hearing more from you. Just a gentle reminder/tip - if you wish t respond to more than one person, please try to do so in the same post and don't make a new post for each response. If you want to edit your post, you may do so by clicking the "modify" button in the upper right hand corner of your post in a thread. That just makes the boards cleaner and less clutters. If you have any questions, just ask! :) Again though, I'm so happy that you're enjoying posting here! I look forward to see you around! ;D (PS - ya might have some competition with the biggest Friends fan! :P)

*waves* I'm Mel (Sooks) from Minnesota, US! I hope to see you all around the forums! ENJOY~

« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 07:49:46 pm by Sooks »

Please read the Forum Rules and enjoy~
~NO DAY BUT TODAY~

Offline Tess

• Stars Hollow Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5051 on: June 12, 2008, 12:49:33 pm »
Tess It's great to see you back and enjoying yourself! I look forward to hearing more from you. Just a gentle reminder/tip - if you wish t respond to more than one person, please try to do so in the same post and don't make a new post for each response. If you want to edit your post, you may do so by clicking the "modify" button in the upper right hand corner of your post in a thread. That just makes the boards cleaner and less clutters. If you have any questions, just ask! :) Again though, I'm so happy that you're enjoying posting here! I look forward to see you around! ;D (PS - ya might have some competition with the biggest Friends fan! :P)

Thank you.  :)

Well, I tried to respond to several people in the same post, but I didn't know how to do that. I'm sorry.

I don't think I'm the biggest Friends fan, but I'm definately a huge fan.  :)

Offline Sooks

• Inn Bellhop
  • Community Points: 1464
  • Life is Beautiful ~N. Sixx
    • View Profile
« Reply #5052 on: June 12, 2008, 06:27:59 pm »
Hey Tess!!

No problem...don't be sorry. I just wanted to try to help ya out! Please don't feel bad and take no offense to me saying anything. It's really not a huge thing. To edit a post you can click the 'modify' button in the upper right hand corner of your own post that you want to edit. Or if you want to quote many people in one message, click the 'reply' button to reply to the thread, then click 'quote' in any message that you wish t quote from. It will let you keep quoting in the same message as much as you want. It's kind of hard to explain if you're not in person, so I'm sorry if I just confused things more. Let me know if you have more questions...I'll try to do better! :)

I don't know that I'm the biggest Friends fan, myself, but it's sad when you quote the characters in Friends when in regular conversation with others...or when you refer to them as your friends! :P Alright, I need a life! haha! See you around! Cheers~

Please read the Forum Rules and enjoy~
~NO DAY BUT TODAY~

Offline Seni

• Town Selectman
  • Community Points: 594
  • Literati forever
    • View Profile
« Reply #5053 on: June 14, 2008, 01:13:21 am »
Welcome gilmoregent!

Welcome Marieke! Hehe, I'm from Croatia. And it's been two days but I still brag about how we won at soccer  ;)

Welcome Kylie90210!

ooh, Cheri, is she related to that Olympic ice-skater who was on Queer Eye for the Straight Guy?

Grey's Anatomy - McLove
-Me and Amber never stop eating - Betty when you call me, you can call me Al-
-The Lit Who Couldn't Decide-

Offline cherilee13

• Diner Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5054 on: June 14, 2008, 03:56:10 pm »
Seni ~ I'm not really sure who you are talking about.  I don't watch Queer Eye for the Straight Guy.  Sorry.

You can brag all you want about how you won in soccer.  I'll brag about how the Detroit Red Wings won the Stanley Cup
           Championship.  YEAH RED WINGS!!!!