Poll

Which of the following is your favorite saying from the shows quirkyest star?

"It sounded like an elephant up there. And Rory weighs like 10 ounces, so.."
33 (6.6%)
Refering to Dean and Rory. "Yeah, there's strech and skinny."
18 (3.6%)
Lorelai: Its like falling 600 feet to your death. You know, its fun the first 599 feet, but its just that last foot--total sucko
98 (19.6%)
Oh, I can't stop drinking the coffee. I stop drinking coffee, I stop doing the standing and walking and the words putting-into-sentence doing.
200 (40%)
Oy with the poodles already!
151 (30.2%)

Total Members Voted: 498

Author Topic: Lorelai Gilmore / Lauren Graham Appreciation  (Read 1365281 times)

Offline thevoid99

• Diner Regular
  • Community Points: 19
  • Shame on our dirty little hearts
    • View Profile
    • thevoid99
Re: Lorelai Gilmore / Lauren Graham Appreciation
« Reply #6885 on: June 10, 2009, 02:33:48 pm »
I saw it last night and it looks like it will be pretty good. 

You can't go wrong if Jeff Daniels is in the lead role.  The man is underrated as an actor and he rarely gets leading roles.  Yet, when he does in films like The Purple Rose of Cairo, Something Wild, and The Squid & the Whale.  He delivers 100%

Plus, I'm stoked that he will have Lauren as his leading lady and Lou Taylor Pucci as a foil of sorts.  I'm more stoked that playing Lauren's assistant is one of my fave young actresses in Olivia Thirlby!  It's a win-win situation for me! 

Offline cherilee13

• Diner Chef
  • Community Points: 364
    • View Profile
« Reply #6886 on: June 10, 2009, 04:35:47 pm »
I love Jeff in just about everything he does and was so excited when I first heard that he and Lauren were doing this movie together.  I love 'The Purple Rose of Cairo' and always get a big kick out of seeing Richard (Ed Herrmann) in it, too.  I really like 'The Squid & the Whale' even though it is weird seeing him make out with Anna Paquin since she played his daughter in 'Fly Away Home'. 
Jeff is really great in his smaller roles, too.  You really know that he is there no matter how small the role is.  He is amazing.   I really hope that I will be able to see 'The Answer Man' on the big screen.  I doubt if I will be that lucky, but I will be happy just to see it on DVD.  I have got to find a way to get a big screen TV so that I can watch all of my straight to DVD Lauren Graham collection, as well as all of the other movies of hers and every one else.  I am hoping that they will show the movie in or near Chelsea, MI where Jeff lives.  It is only about an hours drive so I would drive it if they did show it there. 

They do have a great cast in this movie.  The ones you mentioned and Kat Dennings, Nora Dunn and Tony Hale also.  There are so many scenes that I have read in the sides that I can't wait to see played out.  I am sure that not all of them made the movie, but there are several really good ones. 

EDIT:  6-12-09  FYI  there is a picture of Lauren and Piper Perabo that was taken at an after party for the Tony's in the June 22nd issure of People Magazine. 
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 04:11:37 pm by cherilee13 »

Sig by Sooks/Mel ~ Thank you sweet friend

Offline thevoid99

• Diner Regular
    • View Profile
    • thevoid99
« Reply #6887 on: June 12, 2009, 09:07:32 pm »
I saw a pic of Lauren at the Tonys where she wore a green dress.  Entertainment Weekly gave the grade a C.  I don't know, I thought it was pretty good though they were right about Carrie Fisher's outfit. 

Offline cherilee13

• Diner Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6888 on: June 13, 2009, 09:49:34 am »
You beat me to the punch on this one.  I was just coming to mention the Entertainment Weekly pic.  I just got my magazine out of the mailbox a couple of minutes ago.  I really liked her dress.  The color is great for her, the style looked amazing on her, but I, too, have a bit of an issue with the bow on the thigh.  My feelings for it come and go.  I give the dress a B.  I do, however, think that she looked amazing that night.  There are a lot of pics of Lauren at the Tonys at lauren-online.net and they are all so amazing.

I do have to agree with the F for Carrie Fisher. 

EDIT:  Lauren was seen at the NY Premiere for "Year One" yesterday.  Oliver Platt was there, too, seeing as he is in the movie.  It was nice to hear
          that Lauren was there to support him. 
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 03:54:00 pm by cherilee13 »

Offline thevoid99

• Diner Regular
    • View Profile
    • thevoid99
« Reply #6889 on: June 16, 2009, 07:03:56 pm »
Cool.  I thought about seeing Year One though I'm waiting for the reviews.

I've kind of lost enthusiasm for films in theaters lately because the ones I really want to see aren't nearby and there's not a lot of good movies close by.  It's either the same bloated blockbuster, the silly comedy, or the cheesy romantic comedy. 

Though Evan Almighty wasn't that bad.  It was an OK film and Lauren did a good job.  I can see why it flopped because of the production and CGI stuff. 

Offline cherilee13

• Diner Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6890 on: June 23, 2009, 05:19:32 pm »
Another Rumor out there.  They are looking for some new people for the next season of SCRUBS and Lauren is on the top of their wish list.  I am anxious to see what will come of this one.  I would really like to see her in a show of her own, but it doesn't look like she will get one for the fall season or mid-season so if she did get a role on Scrubs for a season I would like that.  I think she would be good on there unless the show is really messed up with some of the main chacters leaving.  She then would be able to work on another pilot for the next pilot season.  If the Scrubs thing doesn't pan out, I am hoping that she will be doing a movie or two while waiting for the new pilot season.  Can't wait to see what she does next.  Since I wasn't able to get to NYC to see her on Broadway, I have really missed seeing her in anything new. 

Offline thevoid99

• Diner Regular
    • View Profile
    • thevoid99
« Reply #6891 on: June 23, 2009, 07:24:47 pm »
I've never seen Scrubs.  Personally, I would rather have her do another pilot or something.  Then again, I'll wait out on that GG movie we're still waiting for. 

Offline cherilee13

• Diner Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6892 on: June 23, 2009, 08:16:45 pm »
Scrubs is a good show and I think the Lauren's comedic talent would work well on the show.  She might as well do something while she is waiting to be able to do another pilot for the next pilot season which won't be until spring of 2010.  By then they will be done taping Scrubs.  It is too late now for the fall season and mid season because all of the spots have been filled.  The only way they could possibly accept anything else is if what they already have really bomb out and they don't already have backups. 

It is nice that you still have hope for a movie, but I really think that it will never happen.  Sounds like Lauren doesn't have any interest in doing it plus some of the other actors are already commited to projects.  So, I really doubt if the movie will ever see the light of day.  At this point, I don't think that I would even want it to happen.  Don't get me wrong, IF it should happen, I will be there to watch it, but I am really good without it.

Offline thevoid99

• Diner Regular
    • View Profile
    • thevoid99
« Reply #6893 on: June 24, 2009, 10:01:00 am »
How about a Gilmore Girls zombie movie?

Zombies in Stars Hollow

Zombies are rampant in Stars Hollow as chaos as it's up to the most unlikely people to save the town.

I got the idea from watching the trailer to Zombieland with Woody Harrelson.  That looks like fun. 

Offline cherilee13

• Diner Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6894 on: June 24, 2009, 05:00:11 pm »
No thank you!!!

Offline thevoid99

• Diner Regular
    • View Profile
    • thevoid99
« Reply #6895 on: June 24, 2009, 08:10:23 pm »
Oh come on!  It might be funny.  Think Shaun of the Dead but Luke, Lorelai, and Rory beating up a Zombie Taylor.

Offline cherilee13

• Diner Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6896 on: June 25, 2009, 05:36:30 pm »
Not really into the whole Zombie, Vampire and such movies, but if it were a comedy type thing, yeah, it might me funny.

EDIT:  I watched "The Answer Man" about 10 times since midnight.  I think that it is really great and that Lauren has some really amazing 
          scenes in it.  She is really great in all of her scenes, but really amazing in some of them.    Jeff is really great, too.  I won't go into     
          the actual movie because I don't want to spoil it for anyone.  It does leave you thinking afterwards.  I really do hope that I get the
          chance to see it at a theater.  Lauren really looks amazing in it just on the small screen.  I can imagine her on the big screen.

EDIT:   FYI:  If you are watching Gilmore Girls on SOAP Net, check times as they have changed.  For me, on 7/4 it will be on at 10pm
           and 11pm.  7/5 it is still at 6pm & 7pm.  7/11 it is on at 3pm & 4pm and 7/12 at 1pm & 2pm.  I don't know why and I don't know
           any farther than that. 

« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 01:05:25 pm by cherilee13 »

Offline thevoid99

• Diner Regular
    • View Profile
    • thevoid99
« Reply #6897 on: June 30, 2009, 04:46:54 pm »
Really?  You saw it already?!

I was about to post a 2 minute clip from Apple.  A scene with her, Jeff Daniels, and Olivia Thirlby.  It's a great little scene.

I hope this film does do OK.  After all, we need something other than that godawful Transformers movie.

I can't imagine Lauren doing a Michael Bay film.  I would rather go to hell than watch a Michael Bay film no matter who is in it. 

Offline cherilee13

• Diner Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6898 on: June 30, 2009, 07:04:54 pm »
Yeah, I have seen it about 30 times now.  It is my favorite Lauren Graham movie now.  There are a lot of laughs, a lot of serious stuff, a few tears and a lot that gets you thinking about life.  Everyone in it is really great.  Lauren is just as amazing with the serious stuff as she is the comedy, but then we all knew that already.

I saw that clip, too.  It is a nice scene.  If you have cable, you can get the movie on the movie on demand station for $9.99. (I have seen where some cable companies are charging a little more).  It will be on until July 23, the day before it comes out to a limited number of theaters.   I guess some cable companies will be showing the movie for free on July 22.  I am sure that I read that but I didn't pay much attention to it because I wanted to see it as soon as I could and was willing to pay the $9.99 for it instead of waiting.  I was able to watch it as many times as I wanted to for 24 hours.

I agree with you about the 'Transformers' movie.  I have no desire to see it.  I can't imagine Lauren in a Michael Bay film or any other action film, either.  I was thinking against a horror film as well, but I can see her doing certain types of those.  Not to over the hill, but more than what 'Nightwatch' was.  I would, however, like to just keep her in the comedy, drama or dramady films.  

I don't think that I would go as far as to say that I would rather go to hell than watch certain movies.  I think that a couple of hours watching a movie that I really didn't like would be so much better than spending an eternity in hell.  I do have to say that I really like Lauren and would probably watch anything that she was in, at least once, even if it was something that I thought wasn't right for her or was a kind of movie that I really have no interest in.   There are a few other actors that I feel the same way about. 
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 07:10:56 pm by cherilee13 »

Offline thevoid99

• Diner Regular
    • View Profile
    • thevoid99
« Reply #6899 on: July 01, 2009, 08:51:49 pm »
I still would choose an eternity in hell than watch anything Michael Bay did from Armageddon through so forth.

I find his film work offensive and soulless.

Can you imagine a Gilmore Girls episode directed by him?  Flashy cinematography, 5-10 second edits, the camera not staying still but fast all the time.  Lots of shouting.  Explosions and no idea what is going on.  Ugh.  he shot a scene from the viewpoint of a bomb.  That's distasteful.

That show could've been directed by top names.  I mean, they did have Nicole Holofcener direct Secret & Loans, Kenny Ortega directing a few classics, and Jamie Babbit doing several.  A lot of which were great.  A GG episode directed by Peter Bogdonavich, Noah Baumbach, or someone that can work with actors very well and can tell a story. 

I can see Lauren in a Baumbach film.  Maybe one of his earlier ones like Kicking & Screaming or Mr. Jealousy.  They always had great characters.