GilmoreGirls.org Forum
January 20, 2022, 08:33:51 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Star  Are you new to the ORG Forum?  Perhaps you're a longtime member.  Either way, read the Forum rules to stay informed on proper etiquette.  Cheerio!  Star

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gilmore Girls Movie  (Read 45832 times)
Nvr2old4GG
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 7

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 06, 2008, 02:07:03 pm »

Hello!
I have been diligently copying the 180+ pages of the petitionspot.com Great8Mandate petition. I  sent complete petitions to Peter [email protected] Brothers and Dan & Amy Sherman-Palladino in the beginning of May, 2008.  This week I am sending complete copies to Lauren Graham, Alexis Bledel and Les Moonves @ CBS. (The "C" part of the "CW").  Partial petitions (to conserve paper and postage costs) are going to Kelly Bishop, Edward Hermann, Scott Patterson, Liza Weil and Dawn Ostroff @ the CW.  If you remember, Kelly, Scott and Liza all made positive comments (as far as the fans are concerned) about the abrupt cancellation of the show.  I realize that everyone would love an 8th season but I am sure we would all be happy with Amy Sherman-Palladino's conclusion!  If you haven't signed the petition, you can find it at www.petitionspot.com/petitions/great8mandate.  If you haven't been to savethelorelais.org, you can find some information there also.  We are trying to decide how to kick start some sort of campaign but need lots of help!

Also, I went back to page 5 and the sites listed on someone's post were from last May, right after the show was canceled.  At the beginning of the writer's strike, ASP told TVGuide guy Michael Ausiello that the fans need to "talk to Peter Roth @ Warner Brothers" concerning a movie project......that is why I am mailing the petitions.  There is a possibe actor's strike coming at the end of June 2008.  This time, the writers will be at work but the actors on the picket line.  Maybe the Palladinos will have time to work on a "GG project?"  You can bet that was in the letter I sent to them with the 12,500 signatures from the petition!  AND YES, I am hoping that the sucess of "Sex and the City" will motivate all of the parties!

Nvr2old4GG
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 09:06:43 pm by Nvr2old4GG » Logged
thevoid99
Diner Regular

Community Points: 19

Shame on our dirty little hearts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: June 06, 2008, 10:15:26 pm »

While I'm glad that Sex & the City the movie did very well and got the fans what they wanted.  I don't know.  I haven't seen it nor am I interested.  I did like the show but as a film.  I have mixed feelings.  I understand why some critics aren't into and fans are.

The complaints that critics have, which I think is understandable, is that it felt like an episodic TV show at times and it lacked anything cinematic. 

I have mixed feelings about a Gilmore Girls movie.  First off, when does it actually take place?  What has happened and such?  What is it going to be about?  It can't be like a 2-hour, episodic thing where as if fans are watching a marathon.  I think the show deserves something better and cinematic.  I would like to have Amy Sherman-Palladino and her husband Daniel write it.  Maybe Amy to direct or one of the people who directed the show like Jamie Babbit who directed But, I'm a Cheerleader...

I think the mess that had happened with parts of Season 6 and the chaos that was Season 7 really killed a lot of momentum and desire for the parties involved that it led to its cancellation. 

If there is any way a film is going to happen.  It has to have that quirky, dramatic tone that the fans love but it has to have something different.  There has to be a motiviation for what Lorelai and Rory have to do with their lives at the point the film takes place.  There has to be the supporting characters like Luke, Sookie, Lane, Paris, Michel, Emily & Richard Gilmore, Kirk, and the townies.  April Nardini has to become a bigger, more developed character since she is Luke's daughter and will play an important part to the Gilmore family.  There has to be conflict, particularly in the form of Christopher, drama, and of course, that sense of humor. 

I know what fans want from Lorelai which is to marry Luke, have children, maintain a close relationship with her parents and in Rory, to find that great job and the love of her life (who aren't Logan, Jess, or Dean).  Though I wouldn't mind an appearance from Jess and Logan. 

This is tough.  How can you make a Gilmore Girls movie that will retain its tone and expectations from the fans while providing something new and cinematic that will appeal to a mass audience?

That is what I'm looking for.
cherilee13
Diner Chef

Community Points: 364

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 07, 2008, 03:03:11 pm »

thevoid99 - I really agree with you.  That is why I have always thought that it should be more of a made for TV two hour movie (or longer, say more like a mini-series).  That way it could keep more of its integrety.  I have been asked before what station should carry it.  I would hope that the CW would allow it to be on there.  It would be great for the fans to see it where it rightfully should be shown and I think it would be benificial to the CW to have the Gilmore Girls fans that have left the station back to watch it.  It might get them to say 'okay, you did this for us so I'll watch to see what else you've got'.  I know I would.  I am not stupid, though, I know that a lot of Gilmore Girls fans have stayed with the station because there are other shows there that they like and I think that is great.  I like One Tree Hill, but I don't always watch it, and I didn't leave the station because they cancelled GG, but there isn't anything there anymore that I care to watch, atleast not on a regular basis.  If I catch it okay, if I don't, no big deal.  From what I have been reading, many have stoped watching the CW because they did cancel GG.  Well, so much for my rambeling.  I just think that it would be better if we could get a real ending to the show and have it done on TV.

Sig by Sooks/Mel ~ Thank you sweet friend
thevoid99
Diner Regular

Community Points: 19

Shame on our dirty little hearts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: June 07, 2008, 08:32:59 pm »

I don't think it should be the CW.  Honestly, I don't really like their programming. 

I don't know what network would carry a Gilmore Girls movie.  Personally, I would rather have it on HBO since it often shows movies from Warner Brothers, the company that pretty much carried the show in its WB days. 

A mini-series wouldn't be a bad idea.  Yet, if it was to become an actual feature film.  I have the following ideas on what they should do and not do if they will make a film.

1. The film should be written by Amy Sherman-Palladino or with Daniel Palladino.  It should be directed by Amy Sherman-Palladino.  No Outsiders

We can't have someone like P.T. Anderson, Sofia Coppola, David Gordon Green, or any revered auteur to direct the film because they would have their own vision of how it should be told and it will divide audiences.  People will expect to see a Gilmore Girls movies or a film directed by that auteur.  The same with screenwriters.  We can't have any other people involved, even if it's someone established from the writer's guild or an outsider.  It should stick with the people who are familar with the show.

2. No soap-operatic overtones. 

This is why the show fell apart in some views which I seem to agree with.  I felt that around the time of season 6 and mostly, season 7.  The show lost its irreverant tone that people seems to love in its mix of drama and humor.  By the end of season 6, it became this completely dramatic and sometimes, a bit over the top.  I think it betrayed the tone and set for the mess that is season 7.  The show cannot delve into that. 

3. The film should be shot on the same backlot of the original show but with a slightly new look for its cinematic tone. 

I think it should use the same backlot since it's part of the show and such.  Also, go for actual locations in Connecticut.  For its look, I wouldn't go for that flashy, colored look that is in some films like Monster-In-Law or those godawful Michael Bay films.  It should be shot by a cinematographer that has a reputation while having the experience to replicate the work of the DPs of the show.  While I would think it would be totally cool if someone like Roger Deakins (The Coen Bros. regular DP) or Emmanuel Lubezki (The New World & Children of Men) to shoot it.  Even as they can get a great depth of field.  It should be someone who is willing to work with Amy and her vision.

Then there's the set design of the show.  It should remain faithful to the entire series but also for some sets like the Dragonfly or the Crap Shack.  It should be expanded a bit, particularly since some of the fan fiction has made a few changes to those places.  In Virtual Gilmore Girls Season 8, Luke and Lorelai talked about remodeling the house again after Lorelai asked Luke to move in.  Plus, Lorelai and Emily took charge in expanding the Dragonfly into a spa.  I think that would be a good idea for those 2 sets to expanded in order to maintain the show's sense of timeframe. 

4. No celebrities or well-known people to play new characters or make cameos

The show has had appearances from a few well-known people but they played characters.  Yet, there were appearances from Norman Mailer and Christine Amapour as themselves which weren't really a big deal.  Given today's crop of celebrities, I really think it would become a distraction.  It'd be like saying, "hey there's..."  It wouldn't work.  Would anyone enjoy the idea of someone like... Sharon Stone as the mother of Rory's new boyfriend or something?  I would hate it.  It's just really distracing.

5. Friday Night Dinners should continue in the story.

FND is definitely a must-have on the show since at the end of Season 7, Lorelai chooses to continue them.  It's a part of the show's unique feel.  I would suggest that it would taken in two different places.  The Gilmores mansion and the Crap Shack (since Luke is more likely to be part of the family and does the cooking). 

6. Bring back Jess Mariano.

I think the character of Jess has to be in the film or mini-series.  He is an important character as his last appearance on show provided a sense of closure for him in his relationship to both Luke and Rory.  Plus with Luke and Lorelai back together, Jess' relationship with Rory should be more of an adult friendship thing where neither of their of partners will have anything to worry about.  I think Milo would do it, if he can curb his schedule and he seems to have some loyalty to the show. 

7. Language.

There weren't any real use of profanity on the show and I don't think it should change very much.  Ok, maybe a few "sh*ts" would be fine.  Other than that, that's it.  It has to have that upbeat, stylized dialogue that made the show so beloved.

8. No Mainstream Music

There were probably a few hints of mainstream material played on the show throughout.  Yet, it's mostly been indie.  The show should stick to its indie music tone yet its ironic that it's under the Warner Brothers banner.  Yet, its choice of music is what drew me to the show in the first place.  They played XTC, the Waitresses, the Shins, Death Cab for Cutie, Sonic Youth, Sparks, Grant Lee Phillips as the troubador, the Cure, and all sorts of alternative music.  Maintain that tone.  I also would suggest a storyline for Hep Alien.  I suggest that since they're still together and wanting to play music.  They should get a record deal but not with a major label.  Major labels like Warner Brothers, EMI, Universal, and Sony-BMG are on the way out.  Nine Inch Nails and Radiohead proved to the world that they don't need them to make loads of money. 

That's all the ideas I have so far.  I would like the entire cast to return along with the recurring characters and the actors who played them.  After the film or mini-series, a full-blown DVD set that the fans would love and maybe parodies of the trailer directed by, other auteurs like a David Lynch version of Gilmore Girls.
cherilee13
Diner Chef

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 08, 2008, 12:55:24 pm »

OH MY GOD!!!  You have really thought it out.  Not going into spacifics, mainly because I'm feeling that well right now and don't feel up to breaking everything down, but there are a lot of things that I agree with and some that I don't.  Although, I don't want to see Sharon Stone in anything, especially anything Gilmore Girls and I really hated it that in that eighth season of GG on Virtual Gilmore Girls, which in the long run I did like, but I really hated that fact that Lorelai agreed to have the spa added on to the Dragonfly.  It would have changed the atmosphere and the clientel of the Dragonfly so much.  I wouldn't have minded an addition with more rooms, but not the spa.  And, I still feel that it should be done for TV and should be on the CW. Unfortunately, I don't see anyone else wanting to do it other then maybe ABC Family Channel.  I wouldn't mind it being on HBO or something like that, but I don't see them wanting it. Just my opinion. 

gg crazy
Diner Chef

Community Points: 4

:)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: June 10, 2008, 05:17:25 pm »

That would b so Great!! but i heard alexis didn't want 2 do a gg movie.? Cheesy Huh

cherilee13
Diner Chef

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 10, 2008, 08:29:17 pm »

Probably not.  As much as I would really like to see the TV movie, or any way we could get it, I really don't think that it will ever happen because I doubt if any of them would really want to do it, or atleast not enough of them.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
  Print  

Jump to: