GilmoreGirls.org Forum
December 03, 2021, 06:27:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: TV  Remember that feeling you got when watching Gilmore episodes for the first time?  Relive it!  With us!  Join the viewing party, A Gilmore RevisitingTV

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: ORG Community Charity - We can give as good as we get!  (Read 69420 times)
Sooks
Inn Bellhop

Community Points: 1464

Life is Beautiful ~N. Sixx

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2008, 08:14:59 pm »

I like the school idea too! I think that donating items might be harder since we're all over the world. Though the book donation is always a great thing!

I wonder what's out there to donate to that would allow use to track the donation, but that would help educate people...as I think both Shell and Kate said, education will help fight the poverty and make others aware of what's going on. I also wonder what's out there that would benefit people of all ages, not just children. Education seems it would have the potential to benefit anyone of any age. I think that's good if we can help people of any age. Though children are who will make the world in the future.

Oh awesome, B! Thanks for the site again. Even if we don't do that as the group, I'd like to perhaps get started on that myself. Smiley

It seems we have some good thoughts, it's just so hard to narrow things down. Keep spreading the word so we can find out who else is interested! Perhaps that will help us out!

~An aside~ I'm wondering how the ads at the bottom of that freerice.com site pay for the rice if we don't click on them and buy something from them? Does it cost money to have the ads just run no matter what, so they can buy the rice? I was confused when I read that part of the FAQ. I haven't clicked on any of the ads as I don't know where they would take me!  Undecided Just thinking more about how the rice is bought and donated...
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 08:17:04 pm by Sooks » Logged

Please read the Forum Rules and enjoy~
~NO DAY BUT TODAY~
Lovefiend
Yale Alumnus

Community Points: 905

Shary's Stalkee, Lexie is my lil sis/ R.I.P BF

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2008, 08:20:48 pm »

I think they just charge for the ad's display. So, each time the ad pops up, the company gets charged for the advertsiing space. I think because it's such a good cause, it's worked out a little differently, because if they had to wait for people to click like they usually do, then there'd not be much donated!!!

We should organise a big GG.rog freerice thing somehow. Like, have a big competition, or like a spelling bee type thing. Something like that, cuz that wouldn't cost any of us anything!!

Oh, as an added note:
$25000 is a lot of money, one of the ways they make it up is by selling those little rubbber bracelets. I know last time I mentioned it, everyone said they didn't like merchandise, but they'r easy. They cost next to nothing, you order them from a company online alreadymade. They cost US$5 per bracelet, for postage and handling as well.
It means peopel will have something to remind them of their donation and what they're doing for the world.
It's also a way of getting the word out. People have often looked at my bracelets, and asked what they're for, and been itnerested in the cause. So that might happen with the GG.org bracelets!!!

~I wish I could touch you again, I wish I could still call you friend, I'd give, anything... ~

MiniPink
Sooks
Inn Bellhop

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2008, 08:26:54 pm »

I think they just charge for the ad's display. So, each time the ad pops up, the company gets charged for the advertsiing space. I think because it's such a good cause, it's worked out a little differently, because if they had to wait for people to click like they usually do, then there'd not be much donated!!!

Yeah, I know...that's what I was thinking. If they didn't click on it then they wouldn't have any money to buy the rice. I was just confused. Your answer seems right. I'll go with that! Tongue

We should organise a big GG.rog freerice thing somehow. Like, have a big competition, or like a spelling bee type thing. Something like that, cuz that wouldn't cost any of us anything!!
Explain further, would you, please? I'm interested but don't quite think I get exactly what you're saying. [Sorry! Don't mind dumbbumbling me! Wink]

~NO DAY BUT TODAY~
Lovefiend
Yale Alumnus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2008, 08:29:48 pm »

I don't know!! Like, get everyone to go play it, and see who can get the most correct in a row, or something like that!!
I'm not really sure, I just t hink we should get a group thing somehow!!

~I wish I could touch you again, I wish I could still call you friend, I'd give, anything... ~

MiniPink
Alexis Fan
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 1

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2008, 12:35:49 pm »

I'd support something thats linked to the show. So count me in if it's for the breast cancer research  Grin
honkifuluvGG
Pretty Town Spinster

Community Points: 1944

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2008, 02:12:11 pm »

Wow, I've had a few busy days and have been unable to stop by and when I come back BAM!!  We are on page two.  I'm glad people are interested in the giving aspect of this project.

I know at the moment a lot of ideas are being tossed around and it doesn't seem like we are getting anywhere, but on the contrary, it is important for everybody to put forth their ideas so that the decision made can be one that is based on what the wider ORG community wants.

It would appear that most are going the route of supporting something with a GG connection at this point, which is understandable. 

I'd support something thats linked to the show. So count me in if it's for the breast cancer research Grin

Thanks for your support Alexis Fan.  Just curious on something though.  Is this all you would be interested in, or do you support the idea of supporting something education/book donation (this idea includes raising money for books) related.  Because I'm wondering if people are clear on how we are associating this idea with the show.  This came about as a suggestion because Gilmore Girls as such a strong education/book theme to it.  Would you support a cause with that kind of link?

I'm loving all the interest in this topic and am excited that this whole idea looks like it will eventuate.  And please remember, no ideas are being ruled out at the moment (this includes the merchandise option as mentioned by Kate), but no firm decisions will be made until we have our thoughts out in the open, narrowed down and then a plan of action put in place.

I myself am loving the sponsor a child (a lot of these include an education component) and the donate to help build a school/buy books options.  I was even wondering if there are still schools being built in New Orleans and whether this might be an option for our cause.  Maybe we could contact a school and find out what things need replacing and aim to do that via raising the funds.  It would definately leave us with a feeling that a target was chosen and achieved.

Please keep the discussion and ideas coming everybody.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 02:15:31 pm by honkifuluvGG » Logged

Please read Forum Rules
Lovefiend
Yale Alumnus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2008, 02:37:48 pm »

New Orleans is a good point Caryn, I was thinking more global.

For anyone who wanted to donate to help give kids schooling, go to the website I linked, the Camobodian Vision one, and through paypal you can donate there.
$5 gives a kid a school uniform, notebook, pen and ruler
There's more amounts and what they can pay for, the one that really shocked me was $50 US can pay for a teacher in Cambodia's salaray for an entire month!!!!!

MiniPink
Alexis Fan
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 1

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2008, 07:35:36 pm »

Wow, I've had a few busy days and have been unable to stop by and when I come back BAM!!  We are on page two.  I'm glad people are interested in the giving aspect of this project.

I know at the moment a lot of ideas are being tossed around and it doesn't seem like we are getting anywhere, but on the contrary, it is important for everybody to put forth their ideas so that the decision made can be one that is based on what the wider ORG community wants.

It would appear that most are going the route of supporting something with a GG connection at this point, which is understandable. 

I'd support something thats linked to the show. So count me in if it's for the breast cancer research Grin

Thanks for your support Alexis Fan.  Just curious on something though.  Is this all you would be interested in, or do you support the idea of supporting something education/book donation (this idea includes raising money for books) related.  Because I'm wondering if people are clear on how we are associating this idea with the show.  This came about as a suggestion because Gilmore Girls as such a strong education/book theme to it.  Would you support a cause with that kind of link?

I'm loving all the interest in this topic and am excited that this whole idea looks like it will eventuate.  And please remember, no ideas are being ruled out at the moment (this includes the merchandise option as mentioned by Kate), but no firm decisions will be made until we have our thoughts out in the open, narrowed down and then a plan of action put in place.

I myself am loving the sponsor a child (a lot of these include an education component) and the donate to help build a school/buy books options.  I was even wondering if there are still schools being built in New Orleans and whether this might be an option for our cause.  Maybe we could contact a school and find out what things need replacing and aim to do that via raising the funds.  It would definately leave us with a feeling that a target was chosen and achieved.

Please keep the discussion and ideas coming everybody.

I Might consider it I personally dont have any books at the moment to give up though lol Money I could do a little of since i'm currently jobless >_< College takes a lot of time off of my hands heh
Fantasy
Diner Waitress

Community Points: 141

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2008, 02:13:29 pm »

I agree definatley. a www.freerice.com athon . Say, set up an hour or so, and see who can raise the most total? Or even a shorter period of time. And one of our sigfairies might be interested in making winning/partipation sigs? Just tossing some ideas.

Take my hand and drag me head first, fearless.
Lovefiend
Yale Alumnus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2008, 05:40:29 pm »

Yeah, Sarah, thast's what I was trying to say, but not quite that well!!!
I love it, I love freerice, it's such an awesome idea!!!!

MiniPink
ImAGilmoreGirl
Official Gilmore Girl

Community Points: 1248

P!nk concert; a night to remember.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2008, 05:46:28 pm »

i raised 660 grains of rice last night Smiley

Pretty pretty please don't you ever ever feel like you're less than fucKin perfect, pretty pretty please if you ever ever feel like you're nothing; you're fucKin perfect to me ♥

Zachery Walker born 12.10.10
Lovefiend
Yale Alumnus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2008, 06:07:56 pm »

Yaaaay, go Mel!!!!! Its so easy, and you're saving starving people!! It only takes a few minutes to raise enough rice for a meal!!

MiniPink
Sooks
Inn Bellhop

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2008, 09:22:25 pm »

I'm doing the freerice site still, but a part of me still wonders about the truth to that site. That's probably not good because I shouldn't be so negative about it. I just don't understand it I guess. I'm hoping that it's true - I've raised over 2,000 grains in just doing it two times...but I can't help but wonder a little. Sorry! I'm sure I'll go back there again and check it out closer.

A few questions...
If we did something that was related to GG somehow, what are some other options besides breast cancer? Not that breast cancer isn't a wonderful area to donate in and much needed. I'm just wondering if we might brainstorm some other ideas for charities that connect to GG?

Maybe we could compile a list of charities that related some how to the show and get some good research for those? And then we can do the same for a few sponsor a child organizations?

I think if people have somewhere to go, like a link to another site about the charity, they would be more likely to either support not support the ideas. Just a thought.

I'm also wondering what else we could donate to that would be connected to GG and be monitorable - that's not a word...I know. Something that we could monitor the progress on or see how it's being used?

I really like what Heidi brought up about that point. I think that when donating in a big group like this, it's a lot bigger piece than if you were donating on your own. Especially when donating on a website or through an online community, such as this. It would just bring it home - so-to-speak even more for people, I think! Again, just my thoughts on the subject.

A thought or two...
I'm glad that we're getting so many different ideas! And, I think it's wonderful that people are being so open to different ideas! The support of something like this, just re-affirms the awe that I have for the members of this site! It's amazing to me, to see such caring and compassionate people in a community such as this.

One more quick thing...I think that we must be mindful of those that can't afford to donate much financially. Perhaps there's something else we could donate or do if we can't donate financially? I myself, am a student who's just trying to make ends meet, so I understand. And while I'm sure I have enough to give a little more, I totally understand those who feel this is something that you can't do right now. And that's completely fine! You're not less of a member or a person for that matter!

Just wanted to clear that up a bit. Smiley

Can't wait to hear from others about their thoughts on this subject!! I'm so glad that it's still being discussed!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 09:23:49 pm by Sooks » Logged

~NO DAY BUT TODAY~
Lovefiend
Yale Alumnus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2008, 09:29:04 pm »

I believe the site. It's affiliated with the UN, and all of the ads are from reputable companies.
*shrug* if it's a scam, it's certainly a useless one. All they've done is teach a bunch of people some new words. Unless it's some kind of underground conspiricy against limited vocabularies.

MiniPink
Sooks
Inn Bellhop

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2008, 09:34:56 pm »

Hey, ya never know. Ha! Limited vocabulary is a serous matter these days. I don't know what's wrong with me lately, I'm always second guessing things and wondering if it's not just someone trying to be clever and do no good. I don't know where it's all coming from. I really need to snap out of it. Hopefully, it's just the cold getting to my brain! Tongue

~NO DAY BUT TODAY~
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: