GilmoreGirls.org Forum
January 24, 2022, 06:12:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: TV  Remember that feeling you got when watching Gilmore episodes for the first time?  Relive it!  With us!  Join the viewing party, A Gilmore RevisitingTV

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: GilmoreGirls.org's "Where You Lead" Contest: Win Carole King CDs!  (Read 38891 times)
cleopatra-matta
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2007, 03:09:38 pm »

Please, count me in for the contest!!  Wink

I have been a long term GG fan, so when I was pregnant and sitting in front of the tv, as soon as the song started I'd jump and sing and dance to the music
now my son is 2 and whenever he hears that song he comes to the tv to dance and try to sing too!!!   Grin
we dance together, hug and swirl
it's our music!!!!
julie ann
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 1

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2007, 04:24:16 pm »

After years of working nights I was finally able to catch all of The Gilmore Girls episodes on ABC Family when my son was born.  Hearing "Where You Lead"  every morning became a familiar song for my son and when the song started he would always look to the television.  After he started wallking he would run into the room when the song started and twirl around, it soon became his comfort song.  My son had to have open-heart surgery shortly after his first birthday for multiple congenital heart defects, he was paralyzed with medication  so he would not pull out his venitlator and other tubes and lines.  It was three days after surgery when he was "woken up" out of his still state and started to come around.  It was a Friday morning and Sesame Street was coming on.  I turned the television on so he could watch Elmo as I held him for the first time since surgery, he was still out of it and glassy eyed, didn't care about the red monster on the screen.  Decided to turn the television over to ABC Fam and  catch a rerun from Stars Hollow.   When the song came on we were watching my son and he looked up at the television, he then looked up to me for the first time and smiled and said Mama.  Whenever I hear this song for the rest of my life I will think of that moment.  We now sing the song together when he goes to sleep at night.  Thanks for reading my long winded story.  I wonder how fast Lorelai would have told it?
honkifuluvGG
Pretty Town Spinster

Community Points: 1944

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2007, 04:50:39 pm »

Can I just say how much I'm loving this contest Heidi.  It is giving us so much insight into the GG viewers that are out there.  And also makes it so clear that the song and the show itself has had such a profound impact on so many of our lives with is strong friendship themes.

Keep the entries coming everybody.  It's an amazing thing when a show can bring people together like it has this community.

Please read Forum Rules
mary06842
Stars Hollow Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2007, 06:26:15 pm »

The Song where you lead I will follow means multiple things to me. For one thing its a way to show your love for your mother/daughter/son/husband/etc. It's a happy feeling that tells your love one that you would follow them wherever they went and you would always love them, no matter what. Also, this has a special meaning with my best friend and I. Whenever  I heard the theme song I knew that in one short hour i would be talking with my best friend on the phone talking about what happened in the new episode. It was a way to always stay in touch with her even when our lives are hectic. I just know that whenever I hear that theme song I am going to have an hour of happy feelings.
cool_mimi
Town Resident

Community Points: 3

Life Is Short Talk Fast

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2007, 07:03:10 pm »

I realy love this song and every time i hear it i feel very happy
I feel this song is made to me and my sister we are best friends and this song says everything about us
my sister's ringtoon on my mobile is where you lead  and so is mine on hers
every time it's played on you hear me and her singing in a loud voice (( we don't have good voices)) and we feel so so happy no matter what ... and where ever we are .... even if we arenot together

and my fav part of it is ((call my name and i'll be there on the next train))
cause every time i'm afraid and my sister is not next to me i start calling her name in my head

and it speaks in the mouth of any people who realy care and love each other

rory: dean
dean: what
rory:  stop
dean: why
rory:   coz i love u  u idiot.
Julian
Stars Hollow Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2007, 03:07:44 am »

My take on the song is a little different to the others that I have read on this thread.

I originally couldn't make out the lyrics properly, and suffered from a "mondegreen" (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mondegreen).

The lyrics that I heard were: "If you leave, I will follow."

It was a kind of sweet notion - if you are unhappy and you want to run-away, that's okay, but I am coming too.

Then again, it sounded like a kind of sinister notion too - if you leave me, I will start stalking you.

I was a little relieved when I finally heard the real lyrics.
mo-gilmore
Town Troubadour

Community Points: 4

first crush: Lorelai

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2007, 06:37:12 pm »

My son smiles and dances and gets all excited when the theme music starts each night on ABC family.  The words mean that wherever he is I will be there if he needs me.  I know that one day, when he gets married, I will dance to this song with him as it has a special memory from watching the show and watching his reaction to the song.  The words will make me cry as we dance and I know that I will always be there for him.  Any time he gets scared, I hold him and sing this song and he relaxes in my arms.  This song means part of the special bond I have with Cooper.

Besides his first crush is Lorelai, every time lauren comes on the screen he points and screams with joy!
talkingfriend
Inn Manager

Community Points: 341

Thanks Fanny!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2007, 05:03:31 am »

ahhhhh i am really happy heidi
this is the first time (i think) that a contest is for residents worldwide
the dvds were only distributed within the us

*hugging heidi*

so...my entry......

the song is very unique..i believe it is a good choice for a tv series about a mother and daughter..
as it is also sung by a mother and a daughter..

it always makes me feel good.....it just says: "i would drop anything for you..and come running"
when i am unhappy i watch gg and every time i hear the song i feel the warmth of the girls' relationship

i have to admit that i always love listening to the entire 3 minutes 18 seconds version...
because my favourite line from the song is not present in gilmore girls

it is: "i always wanted a real home with flowers on the window sill, but if you want to live in New York City, honey you know i will"

Gigi fan + narco + java junkie + spree + pts at Hearts + photography nerd + Austrian + British = marlies
adele1
Stars Hollow Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2007, 09:16:01 pm »

What "Where You Lead" means to me.  Well in my household Gilmore Girls was a weekly family time ritual.  I loved the show as well as my husband and four children.  My kids (girl age 9 and boys ages 7,11, & 12) would make sure that we were all ready for start time.  I would sing the "mom" part and had 4 voices singing the "kid" part.  I think this was one of the few times when all 4 would sing a song and not try to give each other a bit of a hard time because of it.  When we sit down to watch the seasons I have to play the song several times for everyone to be happy and ready to move along.  I know this sounds kind of cheesey but hey I've got a cheesey family. lol.  My children told their friends that Gilmore Girls was my happy place, even if i had a crazy day I was ready to relax and sing along when Gilmore Girls came on.
LoveGGAlways
Stars Hollow Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2007, 03:36:15 pm »

I first heard Carole King's "Tapestry" when I was young.  I grew up listening to my mother's music, Carole King being one of her favourite singers.  Although I had missed the first 3 seasons of Gilmore Girl, I began to watch during Season 4.  From the first episode, I knew that Rory and Lorelai Gilmore were my mom and I.  As soon as my mom began watching, she knew it too.  Like Lorelai, my mother is a single mother who struggles through tough times, with her daughter by her side.  Like Rory, I know that my mom will always be there for me and she is definitely my best friend.  "Where You Lead" is a perfect example of Rory and Lorelai's relationship, much like my own relationship with my mother.  "If you're out on the road, Feeling lonely and so cold, All you have to do is call my name, And I'll be there on the next train".  Whenever Rory needed help, she knew that Lorelai would always be there for her.  This song is a reminder of the love my mother has given to me and continues to give to me.  Gilmore Girls is an amazing show and on my birthday, my mom and I are going to have a Gilmore Marathon by watching the first six seasons!   
wmushell
Diner Waitress

Community Points: 950

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2007, 03:46:02 pm »

I had made a long-ish entry to this contest but, unfortunately, it was lost when the ORG's server caused a week's worth of posts to be lost.  This particular post was the main thing I was extremely sad to lose.    Cry Cry Cry  It said a lot about how the song made me feel and was accompanied by appropriate screencaps.  Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to recreate it as I had more time then and another school year is about to begin so I'm not able to do a screencap hunt again.

So -- here's the very short version:  the song reminds me of two sets of mothers and daughters -- Lorelai and Rory as well as my mother and I.  Both relationships have in common that they are filled with love and understanding and compromise.  No matter what, one person knows they can rely on the other.  Hearts

Not anywhere near the quality of my previous post, but it will have to do.   Undecided

kelsey
Diner Waitress

Community Points: 38

<3

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2007, 09:08:12 pm »

Gilmore Girls plays an important and special part in my life. The show itself felt like the one thing that could be mine and treasured; and the only thing i had a connection with. Every week i would anxiously wait and wait, counting the moments down to the only time i felt truly happy. Then all of a sudden at 8:00 i would hear Carole King's "where you lead" song burst through my televison. As soon as i heard the song  i would light up and become giddish. Hearing the song always made me feel "at home", and it was as if i was waiting to see family at 8:00. Gilmore girls kind of seemed like it was a second family for me. I don't have a close relationship with my mother like Rory did in the show, and in a way watching the show and hearing the song made me feel connected and made me feel like i was part of the relationship between lorelia and rory; even if it was only for an hour, i felt like i was part of it; and i loved that feeling. For an hour i felt like i was a part of their world. No matter how i was feeling that day, or if things went terribly wrong for me, just hearing the song would always bring my spirits up. When i hear the the verse "Where you lead, i will follow, anywhere, that you tell me to, if you need me to be with you, i will follow when you lead, if your out on the road feeling lonely and so cold, all you have to do is call my name, and ill be there on the next train" , it sends such a warm feeling through me. The line is so heart filled, and it shows that someone is always there for you no matter what, they would just drop whatever they are doing and they would jump, all for you. That is the kind of relationship that i think everyone would want to have. I would love to know i meant that much to someone. Hearing that line would always cheer me up and make me smile. Just hearing those first few seconds of the song instantly made me feel better no matter how down i was. It is the one song that makes me feel connected to the world , and that is why this song means so much to me.  Having a chance to participate  in this contest means a great deal to me, so thank you for coming up with this and giving me the chance to possibly win something so close to my heart.

Thank you
Kelsey
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 09:23:35 pm by kelsey » Logged

Star Twilighter. Java Junkie. Literati & Headliners. Star
kdanielle
Stars Hollow Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2007, 02:54:59 pm »

"Where You Lead" will always have a place in my heart....and in my son's too.  I first got hooked on Gilmore Girls when I saw a maraton on TV.  Of course I immediately fell in love and had to start with season one and work all the way to six (yes, I was Gilmore-oblivious for the first 6 seasons!!!)  Well, I watched all six seasons during the final months of my pregnancy with my son!  I am a true beliver that babies in the womb can hear the world outside....and to prove it... is my son. He heard that song so many times the last few months before his birth, it became something familiar to him.  After he was born, and to this day(he's now 10 months old)....whenever he gets fussy, I sing "Where You Lead" to him. It instantly calms him down!  Each night when giving him his last bottle and rocking him, I always hum or sing that song to him...and sometimes even replay an episode.  It never fails...if he's squirming around not settling in... That song does the trick.  It has become our special song....and whenever I sing it, it helps to remind me that he will be following me....where ever I lead....so I need to make good choices and lead him in the right direction.
talkingfriend
Inn Manager

Community Points: 341

Thanks Fanny!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2007, 09:01:44 am »

[li] The contest begins July 24th, 2007 at 12:01 AM PDT and ends August 24th, 2007 at 11:59 PM PDT.[/li]

the contest has finished now..hasn't it?

i was just wondering..cause August 24th was a few days ago

Gigi fan + narco + java junkie + spree + pts at Hearts + photography nerd + Austrian + British = marlies
mela489
Town Elder

Community Points: 310

<3 Tuesday nights are my day of the week <3

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2007, 09:04:25 am »

I know the contest is over now, but like Michelle, I made a longish post that no long exists, but I did not have time to try to re-do it because I am in college now! haha still a little unbelievable to me.  I will post again, but its not going to be the same (obviously, haha)
Well, the song means a couple different things to me.  First off, if I hear it on tv, I automatically think of Gilmore girls, and it brings a smile to my face because I have all the happy memories, first of the amazing show, but then Gilmore girls is not just the show, but this place too, and all the amazing people I have met here.
Secondly, I have the song on my itunes/ipod, and when I hear it, that also brings a smile to my face and I love hearing it because it automatically makes me think of Gilmore girls, even though it is just a song.  I know all the words and its fun to sing along to, even if I don't actually do it out-loud all the time.  My dad loves Carol King, and so when I would play the song he even would sing along and say some random comment about carol king.  Its really neat because even though it is just a song, it is really more, and it makes me happy listening to it, especially because I put my music on random and so I don't know its going to come on, and when it does, its just a song that has a lot of links to it and no matter how many years later I will always think of Gilmore girls and everything that goes along with the show when I hear the song.

Melanie ~JavaJunkie~ *Noodie* ~Dodger~ *Headliner* Angela! Hearts Always PTS's at heart Hearts Just say,"Yes M.A.M.M"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  

Jump to: