GilmoreGirls.org Forum
November 29, 2021, 02:05:14 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Star  Are you new to the ORG Forum?  Perhaps you're a longtime member.  Either way, read the Forum rules to stay informed on proper etiquette.  Cheerio!  Star

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: GilmoreGirls.org's "Where You Lead" Contest: Win Carole King CDs!  (Read 37810 times)
Heidi
Administrator
Diner Chef

Community Points: 648

View Profile WWW
« on: July 24, 2007, 09:46:58 pm »

The sad: New episodes of our favorite show are no more.  The good: We were treated to seven wonderful seasons of witty banter and loving mother-daughter relationships. 

To coincide with the recent release of Carole King's 2-CD deluxe edition of her acclaimed album, Love Makes the World, GilmoreGirls.org is holding a contest for all Gilmore fans to enter. 

Starting from day one, the tone for each Gilmore episode was set by the show's theme "Where You Lead, I Will Follow".  Written by Carole King and Toni Stern (and performed by Carole King and her daughter, Louise Goffin) "Where You Lead" is the perfect introduction to the world of Stars Hollow and all that it entails.

Participants who wish to enter the GilmoreGirls.org "Where You Lead" Contest simply need to reply to this thread and explain how the Gilmore Girls theme song makes them feel and/or what the theme song means to them.

There will be a total of three contest winners, each who will be awarded a new copy of the 2-CD deluxe edition of Carole King's Love Makes the World.  Two winners will be selected at random from all eligible participants and one winner will be chosen based on their entry (answer) to the contest.  Winners will be notified on or around August 25th, 2007 and will be notified via ORG Forum PM and e-mail.  Winners have three days to claim prizes.  If contact cannot be established with the first selected winners, other contest participants will be selected until three winners have been reached.

Contest rules and information:

• The contest begins July 24th, 2007 at 12:01 AM PDT and ends August 24th, 2007 at 11:59 PM PDT.
  • Forum members who are under 18 years of age require parent or guardian consent to participate.
  • The contest is open to residents worldwide.
  • The winner must be willing to provide GilmoreGirls.org with his or her mailing address (which will not be shared with any third party).
  • GilmoreGirls.org reserves the right to amend the rules at any time without notice for any reason.

All contest questions or comments can be posted in this thread.  Thank you and good luck to all!

** Important update:  Due to server malfunction the contest's deadline has been extended to September 8th, 2007. **

~Heidi
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 12:40:30 am by Heidi » Logged

Flame    Flame
GGfanemma
Stars Hollow High Student

Community Points: 80

Literati~Java Junkie forever!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 10:04:06 pm »

that's so cool!I'm going to sign up!

Member of the Planless People Club!
Member of the I'm Not a 50 Year Old Man Club!
Member of The People Who Get Hurt A Lot Club!
Member of the Easily Addicted To TV Shows Club!
trickyiu
Gilmore Maid

Community Points: 337

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 10:57:20 pm »

Heidi,

I am loving this contest.  I must gather my thoughts before I post my answer (this is serious stuff, lol)  Cannot wait to read everyone's responses!!  Smiley  I am a huge Carole King fan and would love to win her new CD!  Great idea.  I also cannot wait for the new poll.  I guessed wrong in the last one, but it is nice to know that all the celebrities you mentioned were friendly.  I must say I am so jealous that you have met so many awesome people.  I am so far away from the Hollywood seen living in Michigan  Sad!! 

Java Junkie always!  SSS, love to the sisters  Cool
Miranda
Town Selectman

Community Points: 775

Call me Mira

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 11:05:47 pm »

I really love this idea!!!

Thanks sis (Katinka a.k.a Snowy_Duerre)
honkifuluvGG
Pretty Town Spinster

Community Points: 1944

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 11:48:20 pm »

Super contest Heidi

Like Amy, I'm going to have a think about my official response before I post it here, but I just wanted to stop by and say thanks for the new super fun contest.

This place is so special (and I don't mean like eating the paste special either Cheesy Wink)

Kiss

Please read Forum Rules
Beky
Town Resident

Community Points: 2

Forever L&L

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 06:04:40 am »

Hi Heidi,
I have one question people under 18 only can participate with premission from their parents, so how can We send to you the permission?by email?
Thanks  Grin

Beky =)
Heidi
Administrator
Diner Chef

Community Points: 648

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 09:47:10 am »

Hi Heidi,
I have one question people under 18 only can participate with premission from their parents, so how can We send to you the permission?by email?
Thanks  Grin

It's the 'honor system' ... I'll take your word for it. Wink

~Heidi

Flame    Flame
x_ch0c0
Inn Chef

Community Points: 492

xxx Pri

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 11:23:45 am »

Great idea!

Here is my response:

This song, to me, means that there is always someone by your side, day and night. No matter if you're sad, or just happy, the person you love will always be there for you. "And I would go to the ends of the earth, Cause, darling, to me that's what you're worth." The person you love would go through any lengths to make you happy. It expresses how much that person cares for you, and thinks you're the gold in their hearts. "All you have to do is call my name, And I'll be there on the next train" This person will always be there for you when you're in trouble, or just need a hug.

This song actually reminds me of my brother, which is kinda strange, but not really. I mean, he's always said he would watch out for me and that he would always be there for me. If I was in trouble, he'd be there for me as fast as he can. He always says "If someone is shitting with you, I'll be the crap outta them." That's why I love him. Hearts

Yup, that's it. Hopefully, it's not too cheesy. =D

||Never say good-bye, because good-bye means going away, and going away..means forgetting.||

Don't worry, I'm not forgetting. Smiley Bye bye, ORG.
b.fox
Town Resident

Community Points: 8

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 06:22:22 pm »

Ok, get ready, because here's my answer:
Not only does this wonderful theme song sum up Gilmore Girls, and what it means, it goes the extra mile. The entire idea of the song, to begin with, is something all of us should really take to heart for the ones we love. However, this song embodies the show in one other way. Having a mother and a daughter sing this song in perfect harmony (you can hardly tell that 2 people are singing!), just is the perfect lead in to the crazy little corner of the world that is Lorelai and Rory.

"We're almost there and no where near it. All that matters is that we're going" We will always love our  girls!

come and see my original gg items at http://www.cafepress.com/theggshop
Sooks
Inn Bellhop

Community Points: 1464

Life is Beautiful ~N. Sixx

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 06:53:30 pm »

Heidi,

I was so excited that a new contest wes going to be held! And you, my friend, have really out done yourself! The creativity of this contest is brilliant! I love the topic and the idea! As Heidi and Caryn have mentioned above, I have to gather my thoughts and will post my response a bit later! (I had to smile at Amy's comment about this being serious stuff and then she laughs! Wink) I wrote about this song and it's meaning when GG was ending and now...but now, I must go turn on the song and get comfy and let it take over as I gather what I'd like to say! This IS serious stuff and I can't wait to read what people have to respond with! GREAT contest!!

~M Hearts

Please read the Forum Rules and enjoy~
~NO DAY BUT TODAY~
KuKuLeNiLeNi
Town Resident

Community Points: 37

There Must Be A SEASON 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2007, 04:36:04 pm »

I'm trying to get inspired to write my answer by listening to the song over and over.
Haha I know the song by heart already!
Leire

honkifuluvGG
Pretty Town Spinster

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2007, 05:47:16 pm »

Well I've mulled it over, given it some thought, and then given it some more thought.  Finally I've come to the conclusion that there is no easy answer for me to give in this competition, so here is the 'say it as it comes' version.

When I first heard this song it meant that for the next hour I was in viewing heaven.  It was the prelude to the most wonderful hour of escapism into the world of Gilmore Girls.  The best that television had ever given.  The time that my whole family understood was very precious to me and was given its due respect.

Then as time went on it became and obstacle.  Another roadblock to the path of that TV bliss that just couldn't come soon enough. (have I mentioned before that I'm an extremely impatient and bratty individual).  As you near a seasons end, the clips don't change.  I'd been waiting a whole week for the episode....another 30 seconds or so was just too much to bare. Cheesy 

Then as time went on it became a joy again.  Because each week when the lyrics "If you're out on the road" burst out of the tv speakers, my kids would jump up and sing them,  all the while saying 'Mum, it's your show!"   My hubby likened it to child abuse Wink, that children of such a young age would know all the words and take such joy in it, but I thought it was adorable.  They became involved in spending some special time with me for something that I was into, instead of the other way around.

And then finally what we thought to be the last season came about.  And the song was ever precious again.  Unfortunately, living in Australia and not having the show on air, meant that my only method of viewing was to download episodes.  Credits are not usually included in this, so the old addage 'you don't know what you've got til it's gone' rang very true to me.  I couldn't see the new clips included and felt I was missing out.  And then finally it was confirmed.  The last episode, which lucky for me included the credits, came along.  The moment the song started I got all misty eyed knowing that this was the last time I would hear it at the start of an entirely new episode of my favourite show.  I watched it over and over and even got to the point of singing it aloud. 

Of course all these feelings come to me without even entertaining the notion of the lyrics themselves.  The beautiful heartfelt words that let you know how special true friendship really is.  The words that so wonderfully captured the nature of not only Lorelai and Rory's relationship, but a permanent standing theme of the show.  That no matter what, in the good times and the bad, true friends always find their way back to each other to share in the joy or support in the suffering.  That if, like myself, you can listen to the song and think of your own friends that fit the bill, you are a lucky person indeed.

Well those are my thoughts on the subject.  I hope they're coherant.

Caryn
 Kiss
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 01:55:47 am by honkifuluvGG » Logged

Please read Forum Rules
bingbong
Town Selectman

Community Points: 1271

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2007, 06:05:18 pm »

I originally heard the song on Carole King's Tapestry disc when i was young and didn't give much thought to its meaning. But when i became involved with GG i started thinking about the lyrics. I feel the "you" in Where you lead i will follow does not have to refer to a person. It could refer to life itself. I'm not sure Carol King intended it that way, of course. But Lorelai went with life as it took her along its path. She became a teenage mom and improvised as she created a new life, sometimes with help from others but often on her own. For myself, i have often had to deal with life when it has shifted for reasons beyond my own control, sometimes struggling to stay on course, but knowing i will find the way.

I think the upbeat feel of the song suggests we should take the ride through life with a positive attitude and not schlump our way through the ups and downs. It's about having faith in yourself and others, faith to believe that wherever life takes you it will somehow turn out ok. Life's an adventure and we should appreciate the journey. 

- Jim
 Smiley

Signature courtesy of SKFTEX
honkifuluvGG
Pretty Town Spinster

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2007, 06:20:22 pm »

Jim:  I really love that take on the song.  I think that is a great way to interpret the lyrics and can completely understand where you are coming from.  Thanks for sharing.

Please read Forum Rules
bingbong
Town Selectman

Community Points: 1271

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2007, 07:28:09 pm »

Thanks Caryn! That's sweet of you. I also loved your post. Cracked me up! All those different phases of dealing with the song...  Funny, because there were also times for me when i'd see a brand new episode and think "get on with the credits!" and then "get on with the commercials! arghh!" I could not wait another second for the show to get going!

Cheesy

Signature courtesy of SKFTEX
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: