GilmoreGirls.org Forum
November 29, 2021, 12:22:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Snap  Heidi's Soapbox, now with a new poll! Vote, vote, vote!  Good times.  Best times!  Chomp

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Life After Gilmore Girls - LG Interview  (Read 7804 times)
laurla205
Gilmore Maid

Community Points: 384

View Profile
« on: April 21, 2008, 09:32:16 am »

Life After 'Gilmore Girls'

For fans of the “Gilmore Girls,” TV viewing as they knew it ended with a final look through Luke’s Diner window and a much too abrupt goodbye to their favorite characters. Since then, fans have been trying, in vain, to find a show that can fill the shoes left empty by the fast-talking mother-daughter duo. But Lorelai Gilmore -- known to many as actor Lauren Graham -- has no such problem...

Since the finale, she’s been seen co-starring alongside Steve Carell in “Evan Almighty,” breaking hearts in “The Amateurs,” and supporting her recent project with Matthew Perry, “Birds of America,” at the Sundance Film Festival. I was lucky enough to catch up with her while she was in Philly filming her latest project, “The Dream of the Romans.” We talked about the final "Gilmore Girls” episode and her much rumored return to television.

So you’re shooting “The Dream of the Romans” now. Can you tell me a little bit about that?
It’s a romantic comedy starring Jeff Daniels, with first time writer/director John Hindman. So it’s smallish, but not the worst indie budget I’ve ever done. It’s a really sweet, funny movie about a man who writes the most popular book ever and becomes so famous and sought after that he goes into seclusion and then the story of how and why he comes out (of seclusion). And then it’s also the story of a young guy whom he befriends. It’s about the people who unwittingly cause him to rejoin the world.

And you are the love interest?
I’m the love interest and also a chiropractor.

So what do you do to prepare for that? Have you been to the chiropractor recently?
I’d never been to a chiropractor, so to prepare I went to one and got adjusted. But the problem is you can’t see what the guy is doing. And when we went to shoot it, the chiropractor they had couldn’t come. So, I just basically tried to wrench Jeff’s back in a professional looking manner. I’ve never played the role of someone who has a particular skill that I don’t have. At least I didn’t have to be a concert pianist or something… I’m not a bad massage giver, but I wouldn’t recommend that anyone let me adjust them.

I have to ask about the “Gilmore Girls” movie.
A movie?

Or a reunion? A reunion-movie? Is there going to be any reunion of any sort?
Well no one has spoken about it. I think the “Sex and the City” movie has ruined... a TV show can’t just end now. It’s implied that there’s got to be more. It never was an actual consideration, just a very sweet idea that came (it seems to me) from people who were sad the show ended and maybe sad the way it ended.

What happened with the ending?
When it ended, it was a combination of things. The network couldn’t decide what to do and Alexis and I couldn’t decide. We weren’t thrilled with the way the last year had gone and we weren’t sure what the future would be. Her character had graduated from college and it was like, “What do we do after that?” We had many conversations that had to do with quality of life, because it was (for a million reasons) a really hard show to produce. We weren’t sure -- from every single standpoint -- what was the best thing was for us and the show. So, it ended a little abruptly. When we did what became the final episode, we weren’t even sure if that was the end.

In the pilot episode we shot through the window of Luke’s Diner -- this was the idea of our director -- and we did that same kind of shot for the ending thinking people would appreciate that kind of symmetry. But, that was the only thing we did to say “this is the end.” And it wasn’t until months after that when I got a call at a restaurant and my agent was like “it’s over.”

So is there anything you would have done differently if you had known it was the absolute end?
I had an idea it was going to be over because we had been negotiating. For both of us it was so many things. Could we get a significant raise, which neither of us had during those seven years? But, it was also about how we could guarantee the quality of the show. It was a lot of things together… financial, creative control and producers… Also, for most of that year, I was like “It’s done.” The show itself was telling us the story was over. It was actually just yesterday that Alexis sent me a text saying that it’s been a year since the show ended, but I really think we did the right thing.

After I was told, I learned that not only crew and producers, but other actors didn’t get called and people were upset with me in some cases. I would have handled that differently, even in terms of the wrap party being a thank you and goodbye instead of a “have a great summer.” You know, Ed Herrmann, who played my dad, walked into his video store in Connecticut and the girl at the counter said. “I’m sorry your show’s over.” and he was like “It is?”

I’ve seen enough “Behind the Music” -- or whatever the version about TV is called -- and I remember Joyce DeWitt talking about the end of “Three’s Company” and that nobody told her that is was over.

It’s like when you’re 13 and your friends stop liking you. You’re always the last to know.
And you only know when they stop inviting you to stuff.

You said that you feel like Philly is a real “Gilmore Girls” town. So does this bring up any nostalgia for you or a desire to work with Amy Sherman-Palladino again?
I do want to work on television again and I neither thank nor blame Philly for that. It’s the steadiest job and the best writing for women. I would look forward to doing something where I can have a hand in the producing of the show or the direction of the show. One of the things that I learned while I was on the “Gilmore Girls” is that I want the process to be collaborative.

Amy wrote me the best character I’ve ever had on television for sure, but I think if we worked together it would sound the same. She talked to me about doing “The Return of Jezebel James” and when I read it I thought it really was good and it wasn’t the same character; it wasn’t Lorelai. But, I thought if I do it, it will sound that way.

Going back to what you said about TV being the best writing for women, do you think it’s more of a challenge for women to work in film?
I still feel that I’m kind of working my way up and building a resume and there are plenty of people in film who have never seen a “Gilmore Girls” episode. I’m in a different place and in film it’s a different world. Having said that, I did three movies this year that I loved. Aside from the fact that my sister’s tired of taking care of my dog, I would do this for a while longer. You get to have a whole experience, and then you put it behind you and move on.

That’s something that I think most actors like; they are weird gluttons for the unknown and I think they get bored when they know where they’re going to be the next day. One of the things that happens when you’re on a show is you know what it is. That’s why “Gilmore Girls” is amazing to me because when I was well into the sixth and seventh year I would still get scripts that I thought were great and made me happy.

In the fall it was reported that you had a development deal with NBC, was that sidelined because of the writer’s strike?
I pulled out of it during the writers strike and it was totally amicable. I really like the people over there. I think they’re really smart and I had met some cool writers, but I had just begun the process and then the strike happened and I wasn’t developing anything. I love the comedies on NBC and I felt like that was the right home for me, but I hadn’t found anything so I put it on hold.

There were rumors that you are supposed to be on “The Office” spin-off…There were? I would like to go back to the day when the rumors were that I was Wonder Woman because, damn that Sienna Miller, she stole my rumor! No, I never heard that.

Would you like to develop an “Office” spin-off?
An “Office” spin-off? I dunno, it’s like spinning off chocolate ice cream, it’s already the best. (I don’t know if that analogy makes any sense…)

Looking back on your illustrious career, is there anything that you’re like “Oh my god, I can’t believe I did that! I’m so mortified, I can’t look at it.”
The problem is that I can’t answer that question honestly because to do so would hurt somebody’s feelings.

What about musical theater in college?
Yes, I believe I am the only Irish-Catholic girl to play the Puerto Rican Anita (in “West Side Story”). And I did go to the tanning booth to get my tanning-booth-tan, but I’m not sure that helped. But, in terms of my career, even when I started, I never had to turn down something that I didn’t like. I started working on shows that I liked - “News Radio” - and “3rd Rock from the Sun” was my first real job. I’m sure there’s something I’m embarrassed about; I’m sure it’s some outfit I wore.

Those are pretty great shows to start out with…
Yeah I think you usually end up with something that resembles your taste. I remember going in on “Baywatch” (or one of the Baywatches) and I was like, “Gosh I don’t know. This isn’t really my taste.” But, also, I am TOTALLY wrong for “Baywatch.” I was never faced with saying, “I’m sorry I can’t put the bathing suit on for you,” because they never really asked me to. I eventually ended up doing “Law & Order,” but I would end up auditioning for these procedurals and I just can’t be that dry. I tried to make the DNA information into comedy.

So what are you watching now?
I loved “Mad Men,” “30 Rock,” and all of the Ricky Gervais stuff. I thought [“Extras”] was such a genius comedy, especially the first season. It’s perfect because the guy wants one thing, to get a line on a show and every time he gets close, he messes it up. I just think it’s such a simple and great set-up. His shows don’t need to go on longer; he sets up such a clean arc.

And he knows when to end them…
Yeah the model is different here. If something’s good, then you milk it for as long as possible, so that everybody makes money in a different way. I think you would have a tough time going to a network here and saying “I want to do something that’s a big hit and then take it off.”

So what’s next for you?
I don’t know, I’ve been attached to this movie for almost a year. I think I’ll go back to L.A. and try to get my dog to like me again.

Look for the lovely and talented Lauren Graham opposite Greg Kinnear in “Flash of Genius,” to be released this fall and find out more about Lauren here.

http://community.comcast.net/comcastportal/blog/article?blog.id=As_Seen_On_TV&message.id=2522#M2522
jaz-copperboom!
Chilton Graduate

Community Points: 86

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 11:57:30 pm »

ahh, read this last night, thanks

lorelai: i have someone to complain to when life sucks or work sucks or just everything sucks. i have someone i can talk to.
rory: yeah, who?
lorelai: oh shecky, you kill me.

laurla205
Gilmore Maid

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 12:20:01 pm »

I love that the interviewer covered soooo much in such a short interview.  I think it’s really interesting that ASP discussed the Jezebel James role with LG as I got the impression watching it that the role was almost written for her.  It’s sad that her NBC deal was dropped, just means it’s that much longer til we get to see her on TV again. 

It doesn’t give much hope for a Gilmore reunion either.  I almost get the impression that she’s not a huge fan of TV series’ making the jump to the big screen but I can't tell she said it in her usual tongue-in-cheek manner or not.   
bingbong
Town Selectman

Community Points: 1271

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 01:05:31 pm »

Thanks for sharing, Lauren - this is one of the most revealing LG interviews i've read since the series ended, although her GG comments are largely a downer.

I always thought a GG movie was a long-shot, but after reading LG's thoughts on the subject, i would say the shot is even longer. I don't have the impression that she was being tongue-in-cheek about it; she sounds put-off by the general idea and even knocked the upcoming S&TC movie on principle.

It's nice to hear she and Alexis stay in contact like old friends. When she says about the cancelation that "people were upset with me in some cases" i can't help being curious about who those people are and if they have gotten over it. She always expressed unhappiness about the way she and others found out about the cancelation, but it sounds even worse here. The story of Eddie finding out in a CT video store is a lousy way to hear you are out of a job (even if Eddie has other things going on). It made me think of a person walking into their office one day and being told, "What are you doing here? Didn't you hear you're fired?"

"The Dream of the Romans" sounds worthwhile; i didn't know it's a romantic comedy. I hope her role is meatier than the one in "Evan Almighty."

I also didn't know for sure that her arrangement with NBC ended. Sounds like she's the one who cut it off, which is really too bad. I hope it gets revived later; she belongs on a top-quality show, but they come along so rarely.

Signature courtesy of SKFTEX
honkifuluvGG
Pretty Town Spinster

Community Points: 1944

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 08:51:35 pm »

Thanks for posting this Lauren.  It is a great interview covering a lot of ground for one so short.  Sadly though I'm left largely disappointed by it.

Thanks for sharing, Lauren - this is one of the most revealing LG interviews i've read since the series ended, although her GG comments are largely a downer.

I always thought a GG movie was a long-shot, but after reading LG's thoughts on the subject, i would say the shot is even longer. I don't have the impression that she was being tongue-in-cheek about it; she sounds put-off by the general idea and even knocked the upcoming S&TC movie on principle.

It's nice to hear she and Alexis stay in contact like old friends. When she says about the cancelation that "people were upset with me in some cases" i can't help being curious about who those people are and if they have gotten over it. She always expressed unhappiness about the way she and others found out about the cancelation, but it sounds even worse here. The story of Eddie finding out in a CT video store is a lousy way to hear you are out of a job (even if Eddie has other things going on). It made me think of a person walking into their office one day and being told, "What are you doing here? Didn't you hear you're fired?"

I couldn't agree more Jim.  I know I'm just a jilted fan, feeling all sorts of emotional that I no longer have my favourite show producing new episodes, but I truly think I'm over all the emotion of it ending and then  Bam Pow Bam something like this interview comes by and stirs it all up again.

I think what I feel most of all is bitterness at being misinformed.  SO many of those final interviews at the time of the show ending, indicated that they had no idea where things were at, and that it was out of the Girls hands as to the fate of the show.  But I always had a sneaking suspicion that this wasn't the case.  Lauren always looked so uncomfortable when talking about how it came about.  And I do understand that it was all quite complex in that it wasn't just money, or story content, or producers etc., and that there was no simple answer.  And I also understand that as actors maybe they shouldn't have to divulge all of their contract negotiations etc. to the general public.  But as a viewer I much would have preferred a "It would take a whole lot of things aligning in just the right way and at just the right time" kind of answer, that more clearly depicted where the fate of the show was at, than all the party line spin we were getting.   And there are many things in this interview stated by Lauren that indicate that it didn't have a great chance.  Now whether or not this clarity was only formed for her with time and distance is another consideration... .

As for the movie, obviously when it ended I was one of the crowd saying sure I'll take anything I can get.  But as time has gone on I've changed my view entirely and have had several conversations around the boards and via IM about my doubts for this kind of follow up.  I just don't see GG working as a movie.  It was a serial, that worked well at building up stories over periods of time and didn't have great big 'movie moments' to make it spectacular.  I'm just not sure I could see it working.  And if it did ever come about (although again Lauren was as close to saying 'not gonna happen' as one could be) I would hate for it to flop and then have that be the last thing this great show was remembered for.

On a happier note though, it is exciting to see all Lauren's film projects being completed.  We will have a new set of films to keep our Lauren appetites satisfied.  And she also seems open to the idea of returning to TV at some point which is what would make me happiest of all.  Bring that day on I say.

Please read Forum Rules
gilmoregirls1fan
Town Resident

Community Points: 13

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 09:55:12 am »

lauren's amazing!
shes my favorite actress
i love her interveiws
she aways adds somthing funny
in them.
its makes everything worth while
lol and when she smiles
to her it seams like noithing
could go wrong.
calbomm
Town Troubadour

Community Points: 5

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 02:52:33 pm »

From everything I have read, LG was ready for the show to end and had a lot of input of what went to the final episode.  I agree the show had basically run its course and this was a good time for it to end.  However, for a show that was so good for seven years, the ending was a big disappontment.  After ASP was fired, LG had a bigger role in the direction of the show and if she had an inkling this was it, she could have done a bit more with the finale.

I enjoyed the show and after seeing it on DVD, I really appreciate the acting and writing that the show produced. I agree that a movie would probably be a difficult thing to produce.  We can assume, that based on the last episode, that L/L went on a summer trip together and ended the trip being married.  LG has said she didn't want the show to end with a wedding, so I doubt, even if a movie was made, I don't think an L/L wedding would be part of it. 

Based on LG's comments in the interview, it doesn't sound like she will ever be interested in revisiting the Gilmore Girls.  That is too bad, but at least there is some finality to it. 
laurla205
Gilmore Maid

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 07:28:07 pm »

I’m not sure how I feel about a movie anymore really.  I’d watch it but I think you’re right, Caryn, that GG wouldn’t work well on that format.  One of the things ASP was so good at was putting long arcs into motion and that wouldn’t come across well in a matter of two hours.  If the goal were to wrap things up, there really isn’t much left (other than the desire for GG to continue on forever and ever Wink ) unresolved.  We know Lorelai and Luke are together and we know Rory has a great career since Obama’s still in the race.  The only thing I’d be interested in seeing is she and Logan getting back together due to the news that he was signed on for the ify S8 but in my version they got back together anyway.

I too had a feeling all along that the girls held more control over the fate of the show then they were letting on.  Well the rumors were that Alexis did anyway (not that it should be held against her, she never said anything to the contrary so she deserves credit for that).  I don’t see how they could have been that clueless that the show was more than likely over shooting an ending like that.  Through the window of Luke’s Diner, she even comments here that they did it specifically because it was a good way to end it.  What bugs me in this interview is that it sounds like the decision to end it came about very much the way ASP and DP left the show; no one was really happy with the direction and it would take too much from the studio for them (producers, LG and AB) to continue on with the desired level of quality.
calbomm
Town Troubadour

Community Points: 5

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 04:51:34 pm »

From everything I have read, there was a season 8 agreement for thirteen episodes with big raises for LG and AB.  However, there was a counterproposal for eight episodes, which I assume WB thought was pointless and that led to the cancellation.  Renewing a show for eight episodes isn't realistic, the girls knew that, so they cancelled the show. 

ASP wanted a two season guarantee after season 8 and the WB only wanted one more at the time.  She played hardball and lost.  I would assume that the Palladino's had an outline for where the show was going for the last two seasons.  Although the last half of season 6 with the whole April angle was not very good.  To me, it was a plot twist to delay the L/L wedding and keep the show going.  This arc was contrary to what ASP said she was going to do with the relationship after it started. 

The L/L drama was the only interesting thing about the last season.  The Lorelai/Christopher relationship didn't have any sizzle to me.  I would have liked to seen a little more of L/L in a season 8, but everything else was wrapped up for the most part.
thevoid99
Diner Regular

Community Points: 19

Shame on our dirty little hearts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 06:43:29 pm »

I think it's best that there's no Gilmore Girls film. 

It would look stupid and it would end up looking like the Sex & the City movie. 

Plus, it would be an insult to the fans.

I'm glad there's fan fiction, most notably the Virtual Gilmore Girls Season 8 and next week, maybe, is going to be the season finale.

Rory finally got her confidence back after Salon.com have responded to her article and ask if she would want to work with them.  Lorelai and Emily are getting closer as their plans to expand the Dragonfly Inn with a spa is nearing completion.  Plus, Luke and Lorelai are "trying" to have a baby while Luke is getting more respect from Richard and Emily.  That's essentially what's happening in Gilmore Girls world and Stars Hollow.  Oh and the episode before that had probably the best line from Taylor Doose...

DAMN YOU, KATIE HOLMES, DAMN YOU!!!!!!
cherilee13
Diner Chef

Community Points: 364

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2008, 12:30:54 pm »

I always did (do) want a better ending to Gilmore Girls then what we were given but, I wouldn't want it to be on the big screen.  It started on TV and should end on TV, in atleast a two hour episode or made for TV movie.  I guess that it would really have to be a three hour one to make up for the commercial time that would be taken out.  TV is the format that it started on and should end on.  IMO

I have been enjoying the "Season 8"  on Virtual Gilmore Girls but I really hate the fact that the spa is being added and that Emily is getting her grubby little hands on Lorelai and Sookie's Inn.  Plus it changes the whole integrety of The Dragon Fly.  Other than that, I really like the story.  I am still reading the 20th epi and so far it (the movie) seems kind of strange but I haven't seen where it is all leading.  It will probably all work out and make sense by the time I finish it. 

I have been reading a fan fic that is in Black & White & Read - Gilmore Girls Fanfic Archive that is writted by Mag1.  It is really long but really great.  It started with Good and Dating then went into Rules of Engagement and is now in Middle  Management and also has chapters from Good at Dirty mixed in along the way (can be read with or without the Good at Dirty chapters - it's good either way).  It is so good that I go to the site every couple of days just to see if there is anything more added.  I am so jazed when there is something new.  All of her stuff is really good.  I really want to get into other peoples stories there but, I have to print them out because I can't read stuff on the computer screen for very long and it is costing me a forture to pay for ink and paper to print everything out. 

Okay, that really took a turn.  I do tend to ramble on sometimes, don't I?   

Sig by Sooks/Mel ~ Thank you sweet friend
thevoid99
Diner Regular

Community Points: 19

Shame on our dirty little hearts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2008, 06:15:29 pm »

If it should be a TV movie... what network should it go to or... what if it would be made for HBO? 

The show started out on the WB network which is essentially Warner Brothers and HBO pretty much plays the film catalog of Warner Brothers.  I'm not comfortable seeing a GG made-for-TV movie on CW.  It doesn't feel right. 
cherilee13
Diner Chef

Community Points: 364

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2008, 10:09:44 pm »

thevoid99:  Good point!!!  I wasn't really thinking that far.  I guess I was just thinking that  it would be on the CW.  I would have no problem seeing it there.  I really don't care what station as long as we could have it somehow, someway and the sooner the better before it is too late to really appreciate it.  Don't get me wrong, if we can get a better ending on the show and it had to be on the big screen, I would definately be there and I am sure more then once, but I still would like it best on TV.   

Sig by Sooks/Mel ~ Thank you sweet friend
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: