GilmoreGirls.org Forum
May 21, 2022, 04:19:57 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Star  We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's best Gilmore Girls forum. The ORG Forum will be just that. Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster.  Star 

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Four more years! Well, at least one... - 02.22.07  (Read 16738 times)
gilmoreguy78
Town Resident

Community Points: 12

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2007, 08:02:06 am »

I'm sorry but do you know who wrote season 6? Do you know who started the mess in the first place? ASP and DP! Angry they were the ones that handed the 13 episode contract to David Sutcliffe and convinced him to sign before they left, they were going to do the same thing DR did this season, which is why they were ticked that The WB/CW wouldn't give them a 2 year contract. They were going to write season 7 the same way David Rosenthal did and then use season 8 to fix everything so why complain that we are fighting for a season 8?! We are just doing what ASP wanted us too!

You don't seem to understand the difference between "writing" and "showrunning" (which is understandable, but I'll just clarify for you).

The "showrunner" comes up with the general story arcs of the season and makes sure that his staff of writers is keeping within that plan, and also makes sure that these individual scripts all feel cohesivve and as if they were written by the same person. This person usually has the most important "producer" credit as well.

A "writer" is one of these many members of the writing staff who is assigned a specific episode in the story arc and must try their best to write that particular moment in the arc in the style of the show in general.

ASP, because she's pretty much a GOD, wore practically every hat possible when she was on that show. She was the "creator" and a "producer" and the "showrunner" and a "writer" for most of the episodes. Hell, she was even a "director" for quite a few of the better ones.

Rosenthal is simply the showrunner. He's only written three episodes this season (that I know of). That's not his job. His job is to make sure that the scripts coming in from his staff of writers fit his planned arcs and to make sure that they fit the style of the established show.

To state that ASP left the show in a "mess" at the end of 6 is naive. She has stated that had a 7 planned when she did that. To state that you know that this plan of hers is identical to the one that Rosenthal had to scrounge up in a hurry is absurd. I can think of a million different ways 7 could have gone, and I'm not claiming a single one of those million would happen to be what ASP would have done. We'll never know how 7 was actually supposed to go, unfortunately.

Regardless, even if ASP passed down her super-secret plans for season seven story arcs and Rosenthal had his writers follow those plans to a "t" ... that doesn't mean the show would have turned out the same. You tell a ten year old to go write a book about sea captain's obsession with killing a whale . . . it's not going to turn out anything like Melville's Moby Dick.

My argument has nothing to do with the story arcs. Hell, I approve of DR breaking L&L up and having Lor and Chris give it a go only to discover that it's really L&L. I even think that's what ASP would have intended. No, what I'm arguing is that DR and his staff of writers are not ASP, and thus cannot capture her own distinct style of writing. RRK is the best of the lot at trying to immitate ASP, but that's because RRK is the old timer on the writing staff. Really, SHE should have been given the "showrunner" job if you ask me.

No, Season Seven sucked because it was an empty, souless version of the show written by random people doing what amounts to fanfic.

"But this is America, where we unappologetically bastardize other countries' cultures in a gross quest for moral and military supremecy." ~ Lorelai Victoria Gilmore
Melissa
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 6

Look its my LUKE DANES mnm!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2007, 07:51:01 pm »

i am sure i will get tomatoes thrown at me but really if alexis doesnt wanna come back, then dont. that shouldnt mean it all has to stop. i mean it could work with the off to college and lor having a life on her on thing. the two of them relationship hasnt been as strong recently anyway as it was first off. to me, rory isnt even that interesting of a character anymore. i am mostly interested in luke/loraeli/michele/sookie/the gilmore parents/lane/zach

anyway i still think there should be 8 with or without her.

thats likely just me though...

I will forever love Luke Danes....

PrettyTownSpinster
Diner Regular

Community Points: 354

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2007, 11:05:34 am »

i am sure i will get tomatoes thrown at me but really if alexis doesnt wanna come back, then dont. that shouldnt mean it all has to stop.

But Lauren will not sign if Alexis doesnt sign!!!

My New Website
ObessedwithGG
Stars Hollow High Student

Community Points: 16

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2007, 11:12:46 am »

i am sure i will get tomatoes thrown at me but really if alexis doesnt wanna come back, then dont. that shouldnt mean it all has to stop.

But Lauren will not sign if Alexis doesnt sign!!!

And that my friends is the deliema that we face.  I think that the story has alot of potential, even without Rory as a fulltime cast member, however I can completely understand why Lauren doesn't want to do another season without her onscreen daughter.  I mean, hello, the show was started about them...it revolves around them, mother/daughter.  I hoping that they (Alexis and the CW and Lauren) come to some sort of agreement that will provide us with the one final season that we the fans are so desperately crying for!  We just can't give up hope yet...

LUKE: You knew what I was doing!
LORELAI: Well, no, not officially.
LUKE: Not officially? Oh, come on. I mean, I didn't have a ref present, but other than that.
LORELAI: Well, you didn't say anything official.
gilmoreguy78
Town Resident

Community Points: 12

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2007, 04:09:59 pm »

oy with the poodles already!

"we the fans" are not "deperately" "crying" for another season.

Another year of APS-less drivel will destroy the show. Especially if it changes focus and becomes completely Lorelai-based. No thanks. And I know that there are a lot of other fans who agree with me but are too afraid to post on this forum (because they've contatced me elsewhere).

It's annoying that people assume that just because they are a fan of something and want something to happen to the thing they are a fan of, that means ALL fans think exactly alike. Not true, let me tell you.

So, in summery: thank GOD Alexis is smart enough to want off the sinking ship, and thank GOD Lauren is smart enough to refuse to do the show without her.

"But this is America, where we unappologetically bastardize other countries' cultures in a gross quest for moral and military supremecy." ~ Lorelai Victoria Gilmore
Lucie
Inn Owner

Community Points: 947

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2007, 08:35:13 pm »

I'm sorry, but I truly don't think the show could go on without Alexis. I mean the show IS called Gilmore GirlS, not Gilmore Girl. The show started as this amazing and kinda strange mother-daughter relationship, it should stay that way as much as possible. I like how the show has gone, because of course a mother and daughter are going to pull apart a bit, but to remove Alexis completely wouldn't work. No way.

I'm Shelby Cheesy
ILY Zija + Mel + Amber + Spencer + Maggie!

gg crazy
Diner Chef

Community Points: 4

:)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2008, 07:42:56 am »

it's hard 2 think alexis doesn't want 2 come back 2 gg!!! Cry Shocked Sad What

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: