GilmoreGirls.org Forum
December 03, 2021, 01:37:17 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: TV  Remember that feeling you got when watching Gilmore episodes for the first time?  Relive it!  With us!  Join the viewing party, A Gilmore RevisitingTV

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148
  Print  
Author Topic: Music Thread  (Read 631881 times)
gg crazy
Diner Chef

Community Points: 4

:)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2190 on: July 08, 2009, 05:24:36 pm »

All time low's new cd came out 7-7. it's really good! it's better than their others!!

pwrofluv
Diner Regular

Community Points: 27

When McDonald's hits Africa...:)

View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: July 27, 2009, 08:58:14 am »

ehhh...not that great. Tongue all time low sounds good, but all their songs SOUND THE SAME!!!!

thevoid99
Diner Regular

Community Points: 19

Shame on our dirty little hearts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2192 on: July 27, 2009, 11:11:21 am »

ehhh...not that great. Tongue all time low sounds good, but all their songs SOUND THE SAME!!!!

There's only one band that can get away with it.  AC/DC.  Everyone complains that their songs sound the same.  Yet, 4-chords, blue-based hard rock doesn't get old. 
gg crazy
Diner Chef

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2193 on: July 27, 2009, 12:02:32 pm »

i mainly focus on all time low's lyrics. i really love theirs Smiley
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 12:05:27 pm by gg crazy » Logged

pwrofluv
Diner Regular

View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: July 29, 2009, 07:20:26 pm »

idk. i can really concentrate with theirs except with the song "remembering sunday".
ok guys, i just wrote a song. katie already heard it and she liked it, but i want more opinions. i haven't really decided on a name for it, but here goes:

vs. 1-
how can we call this place a home
when we're living in a hippodrone?
evil's polluting the innocent
this world seems to be an experiment
gone all wrong

some people need a choke collar
just to keep from spending a dollar
happiness isn't bought
but i'm sure that isn't what you thought
when they keep telling you what to say
you don't wanna go on for one more day
(spoken) well who are they anyway?

chorus-
but now you'll need to
start the preparation for the reparations that our generation
will need to make
love, peace, joy, and faith
are the things we need to keep us safe
just forget all the lies that you've heard
so our minds can be pure when we repair the world

vs. 2-
life's the titanic-full of panic
a disaster just getting worse faster
why are the nations full of fornication?
and now laziness is the new black
all the media ever does is
attack, attack, attack

they ask,"save the animals? save the trees?
oh, who cares about these!"
when they keep telling you what to say
you don't wanna go for one more day

(chorus)

vs. 3-
when we turn the page
and our generation comes of age
things'll change
what john and paul said before will be adored
they were right
all you need is love

this time there won't be a color line
no animosity or war
just like i said before,
love, joy, peace, and faith
will be the ones that keep us safe
in the end, we'll forget the lies that we'd heard
and stand mighty when we see that we've repaired the world

you like??? be honest and brutal

thevoid99
Diner Regular

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2195 on: August 05, 2009, 10:21:11 pm »

I'm a writer myself but I don't do lyrics.

I applaud the effort.  I just think you need to not reveal too much into the lyrics.  You have to be a bit mysterious but at the same time, in some of the things you're saying.  I think you can't be too involved with all of these issues revolving around politics and such.  It can be pretty heavy-handed. 

My 5 favorite lyricists are Bob Dylan, David Bowie, Prince, Trent Reznor, and Roger Waters of Pink Floyd. 

They each provide an idea of how to tell a story but disguise things whether it's about them or someone else.  My suggestion is to be a bit more adventurous, try to experiment with certain things.

David Bowie's greatest lyrical trick was to write a bunch of sentences onto a full page.  Cut certain phrases out into pieces.  Then try to use what phrase that could become a lyric and so on.  It's his cut-paste style that he's done for several of his albums like Diamond Dogs, Station to Station, Scary Monsters, 1. Outside, and Earthling.  Dylan's greatest strength as a lyricist is his sense of humor.  He can be vague but he always has something funny to say in relation to his surroundings and such.  Prince, well notably his work from 1980-1988, is more direct with his lyrics as he delves into the world of sex and religion and finds a balance into those worlds.  Trent Reznor is best when he writes about dark themes whether its personal or what is going on around him.  Roger Waters is famous for writing themes about madness, depression, his disgust with society, and mental barriers.  Notably Pink Floyd's The Wall which I think was his crowning achievement as a songwriter and my all-time favorite Pink Floyd album.

There's a lot to explore.  Even in pop music when there's a catchy song.  It's all about what the singer is saying and how he/she is saying it. 

In an unrelated note, did anyone hear about Brooke Hogan's new album?  About 3000 people bought that crappy record with that awful album cover in its first week and now, I think it's out of the charts.  Who are these people that are buying this record that has her being all sexy and say awful things about her mom?
pwrofluv
Diner Regular

View Profile
« Reply #2196 on: August 06, 2009, 12:59:12 pm »

thanks for the advice, but i guess this is just my style. it might evolve throughout the years. i'm still young and i have a lot of maturing (sp.?) to do.

ewwww brooke hogan is so messed up. all of her family is. Tongue

here's another song i wrote at like 12:30 in the morning. no, it may not be a masterpiece, but at least it shows my true feelings. so here it goes. it's called "how did they come up with that cute shape that's the symbol for a heart when the heart is really just a blob". think the title's too long? well that's too bad cuz it's not changing.

vs. 1-
what a little theif you were,
stealing my heart that way
at night i lay here and cry
'cause i hide it during the day
you went and turn your back on me
this wasn't how it was supposed to be
i'd only ever felt happy with you
your smile made me melt
and even though we've been friends for years
i never told you how i felt

chorus-
i'd tell you my true feelings right now
but i'm not up for the chase
i go to the moon for comfort
but he still has that sad look on his face

like a mosquito, you were,
sucking the love out of me
leaving me empty and dry

vs. 2-
it's obvious you don't love me
if you did, you wouldn't go
why the hell did you say you don't trust me?
i guess i'll just never know
even though you changed so much
i remember the way you were
you said you were there if i need you
so i usually took up the offer

(chorus)

vs. 3-
but now i'm afraid to call you
and i never see you around
i feel like we were hugging
and then you pushed me to the ground
i'm bruised and hurt all over
i even have dirt in my hair
the old you would fix me
the new you doesn't care
my heart is empty my mind is blank
for that, it's you that i can thank

but that isn't important

because now, no matter what you do,
my heart will always belong to you

Seni
Town Selectman

Community Points: 594

Literati forever

View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: August 15, 2009, 09:25:51 am »

There's only one band that can get away with it.  AC/DC.  Everyone complains that their songs sound the same.  Yet, 4-chords, blue-based hard rock doesn't get old.

That is so true. I can't tell their songs apart until I hear the lyrics.

Grey's Anatomy - McLove
-Me and Amber never stop eating - Betty when you call me, you can call me Al-
-The Lit Who Couldn't Decide-
wazup
Chilton Graduate

Community Points: 6

i am a die hard gilmore/rock fan

View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: November 29, 2009, 06:20:19 am »

Hey ok so what do you guys think about that song every one is talking about
fireflies by owl city

^ sig by: Zija
the * means that I did not know how to spell it
Me and Grace love pink lemonade!!
*Lexi*
thevoid99
Diner Regular

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2199 on: November 29, 2009, 10:55:24 am »

I'm definitely the wrong person to ask because I don't really like mainstream music.  It's OK but not really worth my time.

I would glance at what's on the pop charts or on MTV, Fuse, and VH1 and I really don't like it.  There would be something I would like if the song is good yet it's rarely.

I'm more of an indie guy with dabbles of metal and hard rock plus electronic music.  The record that I've gotten into lately is the debut release of Them Crooked Vultures.  A supergroup consisting of Josh Homme of Queens of the Stone Age on vocals/guitar, Dave Grohl of Nirvana/Foo Fighters on drums, and from Led Zeppelin, John Paul Jones on bass/keyboards.  Oh, it's what I want and more in a rock record.  It is the rock album of 2009 for me. 
pwrofluv
Diner Regular

View Profile
« Reply #2200 on: December 15, 2009, 02:22:35 pm »

i like fireflies, but it's definitely not owl city's best song. he has much more amazing stuff Smiley

hey isn't it like that the drummer from guns and roses left and became the lead singer in nirvana? or was it the other way around....anybody know?

gosh this christmas music is driving me NUTS! i mean, it was nice and peppy at first, but now it's just plain annoying. and i can't seem to escape from it either. my stupid 80-year-old bus driver (should she even be driving?) blasts it and sings along mega loud and makes us all shut up. ughhhh.

gosh i'm trying to find the queen cd "a night at the opera" but can't find it. does anyone know where i can get it besides like internet shopping?

thevoid99
Diner Regular

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2201 on: December 15, 2009, 04:34:27 pm »

No, no, no, no.

Dave Grohl was the drummer of Nirvana but when Kurt Cobain died.  Grohl formed the Foo Fighters in which he sang and originally played everything because he didn't have anyone in the band at the time.  Once there was people in the Foo Fighters, it allowed Grohl to just sing and play guitar though he plays drums ocassionally for other people like Queens of the Stone Age, NIN, and many others.  Them Crooked Vultures is just another project from Grohl. 

A Night at the Opera...

Oh my child.  That is a classic.  Production that is just brilliant.  You can't records like that in today's world of pop music.

gg crazy
Diner Chef

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2202 on: December 15, 2009, 05:36:46 pm »

i like fireflies, but it's definitely not owl city's best song. he has much more amazing stuff Smiley

hey isn't it like that the drummer from guns and roses left and became the lead singer in nirvana? or was it the other way around....anybody know?

gosh this christmas music is driving me NUTS! i mean, it was nice and peppy at first, but now it's just plain annoying. and i can't seem to escape from it either. my stupid 80-year-old bus driver (should she even be driving?) blasts it and sings along mega loud and makes us all shut up. ughhhh.

gosh i'm trying to find the queen cd "a night at the opera" but can't find it. does anyone know where i can get it besides like internet shopping?

have you tried F.Y.E? a lot of people sell used cd there. if you can't find it there than the internet. cause F.Y.E has like everything.

Owl city ugh.....

Are there any Lady Gaga fans here? (i know you aren't erica) but anyone else? normally i would say ewww pop i hate pop and most mainstream but Lady Gaga grew on me. now i can't get enough of her music! i like her so much because she so different. she's willing to put herself out there and be just plain out weird but she still doesn't care what people say. there are sooo many haters but sooo many lovers to.

thevoid99
Diner Regular

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2203 on: December 16, 2009, 10:57:19 am »

I find Lady Gaga to be very interesting.  In fact, I have 3 of her songs on my iTunes.  I like them a lot.  Especially the numerous covers of "Poker Face" by Faith No More, THE GREAT CHRISTOPHER WALKEN, and my favorite, Eric Cartman.

"Bad Romance" is a song I like a lot but my favorite is "Paparazzi".  She is definitely an intriguing personality and there aren't a lot of interesting personalities in pop music.

I wouldn't recommend F.Y.E., they have a poor selection of used music and even the new stuff isn't very good.  Then again, I don't buy music very much these days.  I can't afford it.
gg crazy
Diner Chef

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2204 on: December 16, 2009, 06:35:11 pm »

I find Lady Gaga to be very interesting.  In fact, I have 3 of her songs on my iTunes.  I like them a lot.  Especially the numerous covers of "Poker Face" by Faith No More, THE GREAT CHRISTOPHER WALKEN, and my favorite, Eric Cartman.

"Bad Romance" is a song I like a lot but my favorite is "Paparazzi".  She is definitely an intriguing personality and there aren't a lot of interesting personalities in pop music.

I wouldn't recommend F.Y.E., they have a poor selection of used music and even the new stuff isn't very good.  Then again, I don't buy music very much these days.  I can't afford it.

i just bought her first album today "The Fame" and its pretty good. like the song "Beautiful, dirty, rich." it's awesome. and she writes her own stuff. and thats awesome cause you don't see that with alot of popstars.

Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148
  Print  

Jump to: