Author Topic: Music Thread  (Read 705212 times)

indiecoffee

Re: Music Thread
« Reply #2010 on: August 28, 2008, 02:31:25 pm »
that is funny you mention him, because the radio station here can't stop talking about him and his new album.  BTW, I am a huge talking heads fan! 

Offline pwrofluv

• Diner Regular
  • Community Points: 27
  • When McDonald's hits Africa...:)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: August 28, 2008, 03:49:40 pm »
really? haha the talking heads are ok. david burns is...well, i dont really know what to say about him. lol

Offline thevoid99

• Diner Regular
  • Community Points: 19
  • Shame on our dirty little hearts
    • View Profile
    • thevoid99
« Reply #2012 on: August 28, 2008, 06:45:37 pm »
It's David Byrne.

I love the Talking Heads.  They were eclectic, adventurous, and weren't afraid to take risks.  No one outside of the mainstream is taking risks. 

The fact that Byrne and Brian Eno are selling their new album w/o industry support for $9 and with a loyal fanbase is enough for them to be successful.  Record companies couldn't give a hoot about an album with nothing radio friendly.  Instead, they're just waiting for Nickelturd to churn out the same watered-down crap that people have been abused to.

My hatred for bands like Nickelback, 3 Doors Down (3 Dull Dudes I call them), and most of all, Crud is that they took the sound of bands like Pearl Jam and Soundgarden did, water it down for the masses and make it radio friendly because Pearl Jam didn't want to do Ten pt. 2 and Soundgarden didn't want to go pop.  People call the sound of Nickelturd and 3 Dull Dudes "post-grunge", I call it "scrunge".  Nickelturd had the audacity to compare themselves to AC/DC because critics complain that every song sounds the same.  The major difference is that AC/DC is a blues-based hard rock band that can only play four chords yet do it very well.  There's a sense of humor about them and fans know they won't slip in a ballad.  Nickelturd has no sense of humor and often try to appeal to a mass audience believing that they're a real rock band when really, they along with 3 Dull Dudes are nothing more than corporate lackeys. 

Offline pwrofluv

• Diner Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: August 29, 2008, 08:51:58 am »
well excuse me. you can see i'm obviously not a fan.

and i love 3 doors down and nickleback. and 3 dull dudes? you can do better than that.

Offline thevoid99

• Diner Regular
    • View Profile
    • thevoid99
« Reply #2014 on: August 29, 2008, 12:39:34 pm »
I can't.  I'm old.

Plus, when I first heard 3 Dull Dudes... I thought it was some old song by Soundgarden and didn't like it.  When I found out who it was.  I was disgusted because I knew Soundgarden wouldn't make such crap. 

I hated those bands.  They sounded so much like the Seattle bands of the 90s.  I felt they were ripping them off. 

Now Chris Cornell has totally sold out to become Justin Timberlake making a Soundgarden reunion impossible.  At least Matt Cameron has a job and still playing for Pearl Jam 10 years on. 

Offline pwrofluv

• Diner Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: August 29, 2008, 03:57:59 pm »
wow, you really do know a lot about music and have very strong opinions. for me i'm just like "no country, no opera" and that's 'bout it. i like most music. oh, and no classical! lol. classical's ok for when your trying to take a nap or relax or something. but not for listening enjoyment, in my opinion.

Offline thevoid99

• Diner Regular
    • View Profile
    • thevoid99
« Reply #2016 on: August 29, 2008, 06:53:10 pm »
I love classical music. 

Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Wagner.

Dark, heavy classical music with a loud bass and a huge sound.  Hell yeah!  In fact, if it weren't for classical music.  There would never be heavy metal.  Beethoven and Wagner would've loved to be in Led Zeppelin, Iron Maiden, or Deep Purple.

I don't mind country music but that depends.  I prefer the music of Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings.  The older stuff.  What they call country today ain't country music at all with a few exceptions like Dwight Yoakham.  My favorite country recording is from Bob Dylan.  Nashville Skyline.  That's country!   

Offline tennischic

• Diner Chef
  • Community Points: 47
  • No one can make u feel inferior without ur consent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: August 29, 2008, 08:05:16 pm »
Oh I luv classical escpecially when it has a dramtic edgy sound to it. It amazing to listen to.
~ playin till dawn ~
*Berkley*

Offline thevoid99

• Diner Regular
    • View Profile
    • thevoid99
« Reply #2018 on: September 01, 2008, 11:37:57 am »
I think people tend to forget at how influential classical music is to modern music.

I remember watching Marie Antoinette where there's a scene where Siouxsie & the Banshees' "Hong Kong Garden" played along with Bow Wow Wow's "Aprhodisiac".  Now, modern music being played in a period film.  Especially on a historical figure like Marie Antoinette in the 18th century might seem baffling.  Yet, realizing that these songs and the type of rhythms and melodies that are being played.  Take those songs side-by-side with a classical piece from that era.  It was there I realized what Sofia Coppola was doing and it made perfect sense.  A lot of the music with the exception of the Strokes, fit well with the tone of that film.

I also like the music of film composers.  My favorite music composer is Ennio Morricone.  He's the best among them all.  I love the operatic quality to his music.  Especially in his work with Sergio Leone in films like The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly and Once Upon a Time in America

Offline pwrofluv

• Diner Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: September 02, 2008, 04:53:45 pm »
eh, classical's ok, but that's because i love to sing and i like songs that you can sing to better.

Offline tennischic

• Diner Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: September 02, 2008, 06:38:27 pm »
You can dance to classical though in a very dramatic fashion. Now that can be very amusin  :D
~ playin till dawn ~
*Berkley*

Offline thevoid99

• Diner Regular
    • View Profile
    • thevoid99
« Reply #2021 on: September 02, 2008, 07:40:08 pm »
You can dance to classical though in a very dramatic fashion. Now that can be very amusinĀ  :D

I agree.  Plus, you don't have to listen to dumb lyrics like "My humps, my humps, my lovely lady humps"

God, that's such a bad, stupid song.  Provocative my ass.

Offline tennischic

• Diner Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: September 03, 2008, 01:10:02 pm »
I know! I was like WTF? when I heard that song. Fergie is goin to hell for it.
~ playin till dawn ~
*Berkley*

Offline thevoid99

• Diner Regular
    • View Profile
    • thevoid99
« Reply #2023 on: September 03, 2008, 04:02:46 pm »
Anything Fergie makes is Satanic.

Satan doesn't approve of it either.  I hate her music.  It's annoying and will.i.am. is a talentless producer and songwriter. 

Offline tennischic

• Diner Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: September 03, 2008, 05:31:09 pm »
I couldn't have said it better myself. I can't believe Milo was in one of her music videos. That is a low point for him.
~ playin till dawn ~
*Berkley*