GilmoreGirls.org Forum
December 03, 2021, 05:44:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: TV  Remember that feeling you got when watching Gilmore episodes for the first time?  Relive it!  With us!  Join the viewing party, A Gilmore RevisitingTV

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  
Author Topic: The Gilmore Girls Book Thread  (Read 34091 times)
gilmoreobssesedme
Stars Hollow High Student

Community Points: 7

grape soda~my passion-softball~my calling

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 24, 2006, 05:40:59 pm »

I have all four books but havn't read them yet.Are they really just like the show?

~Lit & Java Junkie~

<>Hannah<>
TeamLuke
Town Resident

Community Points: 42

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 31, 2006, 08:39:39 pm »

Now I'm reading a book called "Eclipse" by Dalton Trumbo.

Dalton Trumbo was a mid 20th century author and screenwriter, who was once blacklisted for refusing to testify to the House Un-American Activities commission on charges of communist activity. He died in 1971.

His most famous work was probably "Johnny Got His Gun" which was an anti-war novel.

Eclipse is of considerably less fame. It's a thinly-veiled satire of some of the influential people in Western Colorado during the 1920s and 1930s. From the website of the reprint effort: it "included a frank look at people’s ethnicity, social class, the work they did, how they did it, their desires for power, sex, status and money."

The reason that there was a reprint was because the initial reaction to the book was very negative - by citizens of Western Colorado. The book was frequently destructed, thrown into the Colorado River, and the Mesa County Public Library had trouble keeping a copy on hand. A few years ago when I was still living in that area I found out that they kept one copy of it in the archived section, and I briefly looked over it, for an hour, because that was the restriction of the archived section there.

About 2.5 years ago the County historical society decided to reprint the book in honor of Trumbo's 100th birthday.

~Helena~
erlend
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 3

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2007, 03:03:43 pm »

A very nice book, some i think Rory would like is "The secret story" by Donna Tartt.

And let me ask:
What do you guys and girls think are the essentials books in rory`s life? im thinking in "The bell jar" by Sylvia Plath, "Moby Dick" by Melville and maybe "The catcher in the rye" or other book by JD Salinger.
Billie
Town Resident

Community Points: 39

It definitely has to be Luke!!!

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2007, 06:15:00 am »

I hope this is the right thread and the question is new (couldn't find it):

Have you heard about this book: Coffee at Luke's: An Unauthorized Gilmore Girls Gabfest by Jennifer Crusie?
It should come out this spring, but I'm not sure, what kind of book it is? Is she writing kind of a sequel? Before we are sure there is no 8th season?Huh
And - what is a "gabfest"Huh
I'm confused....

Thank you!

Regards,
Billie

Glenn
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 1

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2007, 10:52:07 am »

Wondered if anyone would be able to conjure up a list of rory's all-time top ten favourite books:) I would have enjoyed looking them up myself, but i don't have enough free time to browse trough all episodes of all seven seasons.
So if anyone posesses the knowledge to help me out i would be forever grateful Smiley

Just wanted to add that it isn't a must that it should be ten books. Any one book or more is a great start;)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 10:22:31 am by Glenn » Logged
Mara
Diner Regular

Community Points: 25

"I'm the perfect storm of caffeine and genetics."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: April 21, 2007, 01:06:02 pm »

Hi Glenn, there is a list available at amazon.com  Cool ... wow, ... here are the links to the ones I could find : http://www.amazon.com/Gilmore-girls-rorys-book-club/lm/11CJZ5LIDMC8G & http://www.listsofbests.com/list/697 ( I loved number 13  Smiley ... read it even before I knew GG). Have fun.

Glenn
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 1

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2007, 08:41:39 am »

Thanks a bunch Cheesy I've read some of these to, and it's a lot of really good writing... i was sort of in a bind on what to read next, but now i have a lot of options Smiley
GGsCoffeeCup
Town Resident

Community Points: 15

binks!

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 22, 2007, 06:06:32 pm »

Mara - you are the best!  That second link was full of greatness.

*pretty stick*

Mara
Diner Regular

Community Points: 25

"I'm the perfect storm of caffeine and genetics."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: April 23, 2007, 12:31:32 am »

Thanks guys, happy to help.

iluvgilmoregirls!
Stars Hollow High Student

Community Points: 9

Gilmore Girls 4ever!!!

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 26, 2007, 01:48:25 pm »

This is so cool! I was woundering about the books Rory reads also I now I can read them too! Thanks guys! Smiley pretty sticks to both of you!
akleinsmith
« Reply #70 on: May 08, 2007, 09:49:02 pm »

Oh wow, there's a thread about this! Yeah, does anyone have a final list? I stopped receiving emails from it a while ago, too. It was consistently updated, but I don't think they consistently emailed the members--it would be cool if they listed on the CW the final list of Rory's Book Club. I know it's hard to read a book in college, but Rory would read them in the summer, right?
GilmOre_fan4life
Town Resident

Community Points: 8

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 13, 2007, 05:13:40 pm »

Can someone give me all the names of the Gilmore Girls books ?

Babbett: So this is goodbye ?
Lorelai: No this is more like a see ya later
BON VOYAGE
05.15.07 <3
erlend
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 3

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 14, 2007, 06:27:53 pm »

Right now im studying english on college so am reading again a few of the Rory´s favourites. For example right now im reading the Belle Jar by Sylvia Plath (probably one of the most important book on Rory´s life) and a few weeks ago i red Moby Dick again for a paper.

im going to give you a short list to start to check out the Rory´s favourites:

-The catcher in the rye / Nine stories / Franny and Zooey by J D Salinger
-Slaughterhouse five by Kurt Vonnegut (he died a few weeks ago, he was a great writer)
-Moby Dick by Herman Melville
-The Belle jar by Sylvia Plath
-Mencken´s crhistomathy by H L Mencken
-Emma by Jane Austen

Theres a lot more! But this is what i remember so far. Let me tell you that english is my second language, so i red almost all this books on translations, that are not quite good as the original stuff. 

Yours,
Erlend.-
gilmoregirls-lover
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 0

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 15, 2007, 01:02:26 am »

I have only read the other side of summer. It's  pretty good but in some ways it is very similar to the episode.
gilmorefriend
Official Gilmore Girl

Community Points: 1354

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 05, 2007, 08:41:14 pm »

I have almost finished the 1st book. It has been awesome! I have all 4.

THIS ACCOUNT IS SO OLD BUT I DON'T HAVE THE HEART TO DELETE IT PRETEND I DON'T EXIST
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  

Jump to: