GilmoreGirls.org Forum
May 22, 2022, 09:51:31 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: TV  Remember that feeling you got when watching Gilmore episodes for the first time?  Relive it!  With us!  Join the viewing party, A Gilmore RevisitingTV

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 30
  Print  
Author Topic: Unpopular Opinions Thread  (Read 215967 times)
Dani257
Pretty Town Spinster

Community Points: 242

I post. Deal with it.

View Profile
« on: December 06, 2006, 03:35:20 pm »

I keep waffling on where this should go, but I'm going to put it here and if the mods decide it works better as a game, I'm fine with them moving it (and advanced apologies for any inconvienance).  It just didn't seem to fit the other threads in that section.

Anyway, I'm going to paste what I wrote on another board when I started something similar there, so people can get the idea and the spirit of the thing.

You know how sometimes you have an opinion that seems to be very unpopular around the board? You're either the only one who feels that way, or in a very small minority? Well, this is the place to air those opinions. Just let loose.

This is absolutely NOT the place to: attack anyone for any opinion about the show. Or to say or imply that they're wrong for their opinions in any way. It's opinions about Gilmore Girls -including characters, ships, seasons, the writing, and yeah, throw in the Aerie Girls, too. This is also not a place to get bogged down in discussion and debate. I'm not sure that will work. Discussing is fun, but can sometimes go sour, and this is just a place to wave your hand and admit to having an opinion that most people don't share. Without recrimination. If you come here, expect someone to have an opinion that is the complete opposite and also maybe something you vehemenately disagree with. Opinions you hate. That's why it's unpopular opinions. Just accept it. Silently. And, I've found with threads like this is that soon you find that more people agree with you than you thought. It usually just takes one person to come and say it out loud and then other people follow.  I'll add if people want to explain their opinions (like why they love a character everyone hates) that's okay, but they don't have to.  Hopefully that all made sense.  Remember, if you think your opinion is an unpopular one it belongs here. Sometimes people might have completely opposite opinions and honestly believe both are unpopular.  Just as long as you don't post in retaliation. (and you might have to be brave posting here, because if you post something people hate, they may just take it out on you by snarking you)

Okay, so to start:  I love Christopher.  He's one of my favorite characters ever. 

My favorite Lorelai ship was Lorelai/Max, although I loved Lorelai/Jason.

I thought Rory's behavior in seasons 3-the first part of season 5 (stringing boys along, acting nasty because Jess wouldn't wait around for her like a kicked puppy while she stayed with Dean, flirting with Jess in front of the whole town, getting mad anytime someone called her on her behavior, sleeping with a married man, and uttering the single brattiest line I've ever heard on this show "He was my boyfriend first!" was much more disturbing and unlikable than whether she reads as much.  So, Rory of seasons 6 and 7 is one of my favorite Rorys, right up there with season 1.

I love Logan, don't think he's anything like Tristan, and can't stand Tristan.

I don't think April is a Rory clone.  She's not a clone at all, but she's more like Paris.

The only time I find Luke interesting is when he interacts with Jess, and the Jess/Luke relationship has always been more important to me than the Rory/Jess one.

I'll stop there for now.  Hopefully I haven't started anything too complicated or boring or potentially troublesome.

A bit leaner, but still chock full of demonic glory.  (Still pro Logan)
100% supportive of Alexis Bledel

http://www.associatedcontent.com/user/8624/angela_tircuit.html
alexisx3
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 03:42:21 pm »

Uh, aren't there different threads for each of these opinions?
It's sort of like creating a board called Gilmore Girls Stuff!!! and having people post exactly what they think.
There's a Christopher/Lorelai board, an April board, a Logan Appreciation board, etc.
Dani257
Pretty Town Spinster

I post. Deal with it.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 03:58:56 pm »

Maybe.  It's just at other message boards where this thread was introduced it was fun.  And, it's not just for one particular set of thoughts (all the other threads are only for one particular topic and sort of separate people into strict groups.  This would be a thread where someone can say they like the Aeries and Lorelai is their least favorite character and both would be on topic in the same thread).  And, it's specifically for unpopular opinions, which I thought was a different take on what's already there. I mean it's not posting just anything about the show it's posting opinions that are unpopular.  But, I'll stop posting here and wait until I get some confirmation about whether or not the thread will stay open.  So, if anyone did feel like posting, maybe hold off until this gets a green light? 

harvestmoon52
Diner Chef

Community Points: 89

So I'm back. What of it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 04:03:22 pm »

Dani257, I think this is an excellent idea for a thread. I mean, people attack others when you post something they don't like, and it's offensive. It makes you wanna cry and scream. (Okay, maybe to me it does.) Here's quite[/]i an unpopular opinion that most would probably snark me for, but you can't because this is an unpopular opinion thread.

I think Lorelai deserved what she got.

I made this. If you'd like me to make a sig, I'd be happy to do so.
MikeinLA
Stars Hollow High Student

Community Points: 20

Lauren as VAMPIRE?!?!?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 04:04:33 pm »

I think this is a GRATE idea for a thread.

For starters: I like Richard and Emily. They are a little stuffy but are good people and mean well and I don't think they are such monsters Lorelai should have gotten herself knocked up and run away from home with a baby at age 16.

I continue to insist Lunkhead Luke is not, nor does he even much resemble, a real man. He's a self-involved, moping, usually bad tempered, and almost always flummoxed dud. He did show flashes of manhood dealing with Jess and Anna and April. He looks like a moron wearing a backwards ball cap.

Kirk usually annoys the crap out of me.

I like Logan and think he will be the strong and more mature one in his relationship with Rory.

TJ is the guy they are talking about in the joke about some village missing its idiot.

Except for eps 7.05 and 7.08, season seven REEKS. David Rosenthal has not a clue how to sustain the characters and does not screen scripts carefully enough to avoid loopy and inconsistent plot lines and inane dialogue. Most of ep 7.10 was so bad, it was actually embarrassing to watch. Rosenthal himself wrote that ep, and it proves he is not only inept as show runner, he's a poor writer.

I don't give a crap if Lane has a litter of puppies. That's a lame and irrelevant story line (also Rosenthal). Zach is so stupid he should have been sterilized upon reaching puberty.

Thank you, Dani, for this thread!

Wow! I feel WONDERFUL all of a sudden!

Grin

Shameless plug for my book:  http://www.lulu.com/undeadlyspring
Dani257
Pretty Town Spinster

I post. Deal with it.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 04:09:03 pm »

This is exactly the type of opinion that is perfect for this thread.  Unpopular, and no one is allowed to disagree -on this thread- or snark.  Regardless of my own feelings on the subject, this is just what the thread is for.  Bravo.

But, I'm still going to hang back a bit, since I already posted my list earlier and I do want to wait to see if anyone else finds the thread redundant. 

flex151
Diner Waitress

Community Points: 255

she's a wonder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 04:10:55 pm »

I like T.J.

I think he's as loveable as can be. I agree he can be obnoxious, and I find it cute. I love how childlike he is. I love his cluelessness. I loved his emotional tantrum in season 5's The Party's Over. I love how affectionate he is with Liz, and how excited he gets about things. I love that he likes monster trucks and baboons that get really mad at the zoo. I think he's adorable.

*Kate's Stalker*

What the snap, crackle, and pop is going on?!
harvestmoon52
Diner Chef

So I'm back. What of it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 04:19:35 pm »

This is exactly the type of opinion that is perfect for this thread.  Unpopular, and no one is allowed to disagree -on this thread- or snark.  Regardless of my own feelings on the subject, this is just what the thread is for.  Bravo.

But, I'm still going to hang back a bit, since I already posted my list earlier and I do want to wait to see if anyone else finds the thread redundant. 
You get hit *hard* with a pretty stick for that comment.

Dani, I think you are awesome for opening this thread--A thread where you can say what you feel and not get snarked. I also have another comment--

I think that Luke and Lorelai were an accident just waiting to happen. It was a teen drama-like storyline. "Oh, Lorelai, Christoopher came to the wedding, so I think I have to dump you now." Ughh.

MikeinLA
Stars Hollow High Student

Community Points: 20

Lauren as VAMPIRE?!?!?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2006, 04:26:33 pm »

You're right, flex. That's a better take on TJ than I thought of.

Also: I like Mitchum Huntsburger. He knows and wants what's best for Logan and told Rory off when she made the assumption that the way he was raising his son was somehow all about her. Mitchum was also cool about the snobbery of his father and wife.

I like Paris, too. The old Paris, that is, not the season seven pod person version. She was incredibly perceptive, quick as a mongoose, and often hilarious. And, she had a human side and was a good friend to Rory.

I liked Madelyne and Louise, too. They struck just the right balance between being bimbo airheads and sharp cookies. OK - More bimbo than sharp, but they were good characters.

Max made me so crazy I wanted to slap him. He reminded me of a teddy bear with ridiculous hair.

Wow! I feel wonderful AGAIN! What a GRATE thread!

Grin

Shameless plug for my book:  http://www.lulu.com/undeadlyspring
Lovefiend
Yale Alumnus

Community Points: 905

Shary's Stalkee, Lexie is my lil sis/ R.I.P BF

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2006, 04:33:16 pm »

Great thread!!

I hate Rory. She bores me completely these days. Her goodie goodie at the begninig was cute, she was endearing. Now she's just plain boring. And selfish, and gets away with the most absurd things.

Lauren Graham isn't that great an actress. It's not hard to practically play yourself.

I also loved Old Paris, and Madeline and Louise!

I'm sure I can come up with more. This is an awesome thread! Thanks

~I wish I could touch you again, I wish I could still call you friend, I'd give, anything... ~

MiniPink
harvestmoon52
Diner Chef

So I'm back. What of it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2006, 04:43:48 pm »

I have more:

Rachel was very intellegent.

The Balcony Buddy romance is probably the most dramatic. (((and idiotic)))

Gigi is my favorite character, and I think it is Christopher and Sherry's fault she is so messed up.

Lucy and Olivia annoy the sh*t out of me.

Dani257
Pretty Town Spinster

I post. Deal with it.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2006, 05:26:44 pm »

My opinion on TJ by himself is probably more popular, but I do think this counts as unpopular -he and Liz have one of the most caring, understanding, and loving relationships I've seen on the show.  As silly as they are, the two of them could teach others on the show a thing or two.

I always felt Sherry was the innocent party in the Lorelai/Christopher/Sherry triangle in season 2-3 (I always get those seasons mixed up).  I know the show portrayed it that Sherry getting pregnant messed up his and Lorelai's chance to be together, but to me, technically Lorelai was "the other woman" since Christopher had been in a relationship with Sherry at the time. 

Even though someone posted a very logical reason why Paris wasn't valedictorian of Chilton some time back, I still hate that she wasn't.  Also that she got rejected from Harvard. 

More and more, I'm finding Kirk to be a total waste of screen time.

I think Rory would make a much better teacher than a journalist.  I can see her being one of those teachers who gets at least one student interested in something simply by observing her sheer joy in a subject.

Jen33
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 2

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2006, 06:53:50 pm »

Great thread Dani  Grin

Here goes.....

I like Mitchum Huntzberger and I think he was right to say that he didn't think she'd make a journalist - at least at that time in her life.

I'm glad she went off the rails and had her crisis.  Everything had gone too smoothly for her up till that point.  She needed to go though that typical teenage stage of making bad decisions and choices and learning from them.

and probably the most unpopular.....

I thought it was quite cute when the stole the yacht... Shocked  OK totally wrong - totally irresponsible but cute..... (not forgetting, of course, that this is tv fiction and I am not endorsing such actions in reality........just in case anyone thinks I am)

what can I say.... there must still be a rebellious teenager lurking in me..... Grin
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 06:58:05 pm by Jen33 » Logged
flex151
Diner Waitress

Community Points: 255

she's a wonder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2006, 07:01:58 pm »

Even though someone posted a very logical reason why Paris wasn't valedictorian of Chilton some time back, I still hate that she wasn't.  Also that she got rejected from Harvard. 

*raises hand enthusiastically* That was me! I remember that! When I first joined I went through threads and only read your posts, and the posts of people you had replied to. Partially because going through every single post in threads that are sometimes a billion pages long is crazy, and partially because I am Lucy to your Paris (speaking of which, it's really sad that the Paris Appreciation thread is only 9 pages long..).

To prove that paragraph is on topic, here comes my [somewhat] unpopular opinion: I love Dani257's super-long, practically epic posts. I know it annoys some people, but those are probably the kind of people who buy the Cliffnotes instead of reading the book.

(I know that is a forum-related unpopular opinion, and not a show-related one, so if that isn't alright I'll edit it.)

*Kate's Stalker*

What the snap, crackle, and pop is going on?!
the girls4ever
Town Selectman

Community Points: 727

He's Dazzling

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2006, 07:08:09 pm »

Jess totally messed things up with rory. he had a great girl and he couldn't pull is act together. when he was finally ready to be there for her she moved on...stupid jess

i prefer olivia over lucy...olivia isn't that bad

chris only showed up when it was convenient for him.

great idea for a thread!

-Laura-

Twilight
70% Headliner 30% Literati, Java Junkie always
Brenda is my partner in crime~Love to the Sprees & Lits
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 30
  Print  

Jump to: