GilmoreGirls.org Forum
January 19, 2022, 08:30:53 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Snap  Heidi's Soapbox, now with a new poll! Vote, vote, vote!  Good times.  Best times!  Chomp

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30
  Print  
Author Topic: Unpopular Opinions Thread  (Read 203869 times)
Lovefiend
Yale Alumnus

Community Points: 905

Shary's Stalkee, Lexie is my lil sis/ R.I.P BF

View Profile WWW
« Reply #405 on: August 04, 2008, 05:17:15 am »

I always assumed they were in the cast of a show like "One Tree Hill" and wondered onto GG.

I laughed so hard at this. So hard that now I need to pee. But well put Jim, well put!

~I wish I could touch you again, I wish I could still call you friend, I'd give, anything... ~

MiniPink
laurla205
Gilmore Maid

Community Points: 384

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: August 04, 2008, 05:38:51 am »

I always thought that disliking the Tweedles was a popular opinion and therefore state my unpopular opinion that I don’t hate them.   Sure they were ditsy but I file it under the ‘high level of book smarts/low level of common sense’ category (sort of like Paris; high level of book smarts/low level of social decency).  Plus I like what they added to Rory’s character, they gave her an additional outlet to express what she was going through while making what would be the most important decisions of her life thus far. 
bingbong
Town Selectman

Community Points: 1271

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: August 04, 2008, 07:37:30 am »

That's probably true, it is more of a popular opinion to dislike the Tweedles. But who can resist taking a few shots at them? Oh, Lauren can resist.  Smiley

When did Rory turn to those gals as an outlet for her important decisions? Maybe i'm forgetting something. She and Paris dealt with their issues together, at least on occasion. I thought of the Tweedles more as window dressing or useful for an occasional soap-opera twist, such as the mess when one of them dated Marty.

Signature courtesy of SKFTEX
SIDNEY
Chilton Graduate

Community Points: 322

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: August 04, 2008, 09:05:14 am »

That's probably true, it is more of a popular opinion to dislike the Tweedles. But who can resist taking a few shots at them? Oh, Lauren can resist.  Smiley

When did Rory turn to those gals as an outlet for her important decisions? Maybe i'm forgetting something. She and Paris dealt with their issues together, at least on occasion. I thought of the Tweedles more as window dressing or useful for an occasional soap-opera twist, such as the mess when one of them dated Marty.

Hey, i kinda like them! They were fun and they were artistic about their clothes.

Rory had a freak-out when she resigned from her position as a director. She was so lost and they comforted her. That was when she invited them to her house in S.H. So they aren't completely air heads.  Wink

Billy: Are we over the rainbow, Ally? Is this it? We used to sing as kids "over the rainbow".
We've gone from being people with bright futures to people who should be living their futures now.
Milk Keg
Town Troubadour

Community Points: 6

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: August 05, 2008, 05:27:53 am »

It's been a long time since I've posted here on the forum, but I had to add to the "lack of friends" issue with Lorelai.

They never mentioned it on the show, but given what a crummy childhood Lorelai had, does anyone else think that when she was a kid/teenager, she didn't have a whole lot of friends either?  I tend to think that, because Emily comes off like such a social butterfly and we all know how much Lorelai tries to NOT be like her mother.

Just a thought...
laurla205
Gilmore Maid

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: August 05, 2008, 05:42:51 am »

Oh its shots you wanted.  What kind of flake calls their boyfriend “boyfriend” anyway? Grin

There were a few instances I can think of that allowed for Rory’s inner workings to be shown through Lucy and Olivia when Paris was leaving her in the dust preparing for the real world.  The case Sidney mentioned, the ‘I’m-no-longer-the-editor-what-am-I-going-to-do-with-my-life’ freak out which as a result humanized Rory a little bit (always nice to bring her back down to everyone else’s level). 

Also, maybe not a "most" important decision but when she and Logan got into an argument over the article she wrote about attending the hoity toity party with Hugo (Introducing Lorelai Planetarium). Lucy and Olivia gave her perspective on the article's level of meanness and were an outlet for Rory to express her insecurities about staying in Logan's apartment.  That particular fight shows a lot of growth for Rory in how she and Logan resolved it, some of that can be attributed to Lucy and Olivia. 

The Marty debacle (while not my favorite story-line in S7) also gave an opportunity to show Rory’s less mature side and in the end she learned from how she handled it which is valuable. 

And, they are smart enough to know Paris is a genius, doesn’t that garner any points?
bingbong
Town Selectman

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: August 05, 2008, 07:25:02 am »

Ha, it doesn't take much to see that Paris is a genius! And Paris might have wondered what they were doing at Yale, especially after all those years she spent busting her butt to get into a top school. But i like katie lou's thought, though it's a stretch, that artistic scholarships got them in.

Those are all good examples of their functionality for Rory. It kind of plays into Milk Keg's post about Lorelai, because Rory needed new people in her life and they served that purpose, if nothing else.

Thank you also for the reminder of their actual names; i think of them as the taller Tweedle and the shorter Tweedle.   

laurla205
Gilmore Maid

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: August 05, 2008, 01:01:49 pm »

Aw, not Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum?

Good point Jim and Milk Keg.  Neither of the Gilmore Girls have a large circle of friends.  Honestly, I don’t find it too odd on Lorelai’s end, she mocks the females she would have had a friendship with as a result of growing up in Emily and Richard’s house (she could never have been friends with Muffy if only for the fact that she is actually named Muffy).  After she was out of the house she had a kid which is not conducive to going out with the girls for drinks nor does it lend time to find said girls.
bingbong
Town Selectman

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: August 05, 2008, 07:01:48 pm »

The thing about Emily coming off as a social butterfly, as Milk Keg described it, is that it is nothing more than coming off that way. Emily does not have a Sookie or a Lane. She and her so-called friends are the types who are in competition with each other, gossiping, looking for an edge in the social standing. In contrast, as Lauren pointed out, Lorelai had less time for social activity as a young single mom, yet she found a true best friend in Sookie. To make the odds even longer, Lorelai spends most of her time in S.H. and single women in her age range must not be plentiful. I think of her as a gal who would rather hang out with the guys anyway, including during her anti-Muffy years in Hartford. 

honkifuluvGG
Pretty Town Spinster

Community Points: 1944

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: August 05, 2008, 08:33:10 pm »

Oh its shots you wanted.  What kind of flake calls their boyfriend “boyfriend” anyway? Grin

And the comment of the week goes to Lauren!

Please read Forum Rules
laurla205
Gilmore Maid

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: August 06, 2008, 05:31:02 am »

Dance And that was an early morning post too, Caryn, go figure. 

Great point Jim.  Emily’s friends, regardless of their numbers, pale in comparison to a Sookie or a Lane. 
thevoid99
Diner Regular

Community Points: 19

Shame on our dirty little hearts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #416 on: August 06, 2008, 10:30:31 am »

I still haven't seen Season 7 but what I can gather.  Olivia and Lucy aren't very popular characters at all. 

If I was Rory, I'd feel like I'd have enough friends in my life like Lane and Paris.  From the pics and transcripts I read, it seems like the writers were either trying to create a new version of Madeline & Louise or have Olivia as the token-Asian buddy and Lucy the Madeline-clone who says "Boyfriend".  Ugh...

I liked Marty in the seasons 4-5 but why did they bring him back in season 7?  From what I read in the transcripts, they wasted his character into someone who still pined for Rory only to screw up a bunch of relationships all together.  What was the point of bringing him back for when nothing positive came out of it?
violaplayer1234
Town Selectman

Community Points: 325

Smile like you mean it.

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: August 06, 2008, 10:41:48 am »

I liked Marty in the seasons 4-5 but why did they bring him back in season 7?  From what I read in the transcripts, they wasted his character into someone who still pined for Rory only to screw up a bunch of relationships all together.  What was the point of bringing him back for when nothing positive came out of it?

I never understood that.  When he first came back my friend and I theorized that maybe he'd be an important role.  But with the exception of getting everyone mad at each other, he had no real point.  I thought he might be bigger, but really it was a waste of time. 

Literati~~BalconyBuddy~~Teacher's Pet

Grace Cheesy

"While we're on the subject could we change the subject now?"
thevoid99
Diner Regular

Community Points: 19

Shame on our dirty little hearts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #418 on: August 06, 2008, 06:21:11 pm »

And I should add if that there's going to be a GG film.

He shouldn't be in it.  They had a chance in bringing him back for Season 7 and did nothing.  It was a total waste of a character who had a lot of potential.

And don't bring Olivia and Lucy for the film either.  Bring back Madeline & Louise!!!

And Rory needs a new boyfriend.  As unpopular as it maybe.  Especially to the Literatis and Logan lovers.  She needs a fresh start.

Besides, Jess is likely to become her step-cousin and Rory is going to have (via Virtual Gilmore Girls) another cousin, if Luke & Lorelai get married. 
katie_lou
Stars Hollow High Student

Community Points: 34

In Omnia Paratus

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: August 06, 2008, 08:26:24 pm »

Unpopular opinions....
1) The Virtual Gilmore Season is not real and I'd rather it never be mentioned ever, ever again on these boards. Or if it has to be on it's own little individual board so the rest of us can ignore it as simply fan fiction.
2) Marty was brought back as DR had no decent ideas or characters of his own so he stole Amy's.....
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30
  Print  

Jump to: