GilmoreGirls.org Forum
May 23, 2022, 12:58:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: TV  Remember that feeling you got when watching Gilmore episodes for the first time?  Relive it!  With us!  Join the viewing party, A Gilmore RevisitingTV

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
  Print  
Author Topic: New to GilmoreGirls.org? Here's a Few Tips!  (Read 103412 times)
TheHumanCoffeePot
Stars Hollow High Student

Community Points: 58

Full-on Poltergeist voice: I'm baaaaaack.

View Profile WWW
« on: October 18, 2005, 04:52:56 pm »

Guys, I'm not the moderator (and I'm really not trying to be, because Summer's doing fine by herself), so I apologize if I'm overstepping my boundaries here.  But I really think these two little things need to be stated for the newbies before they get the posting bug.

1.) Don't be obnoxious.  Don't write everything lOwEr CaSe tHeN uPpErCaSe, don't make your whole post glow, don't write in 347 size font, and don't write everything in capital letters.  Even if you're saying that you love bunnies and there should be world peace, capital letters make it look very angry.

2.) Post in the right place!  Spoilers go on the spoiler boards, stuff about how much Rory sucks and how hot Jess is goes on the Cast and Characters, and basically everything else goes in the General category.

Once again, I'm not telling anyone to do anything.  I don't have that right.  But for my and others sanity, please just think about it.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 06:28:04 pm by Heidi » Logged

...JavaJunkie above all else...Noddie...Foodie...Logan-Loather...closet Literati...Lauren fan...
Summer
twirling in the twilight
Diner Regular

Community Points: 57

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2005, 05:23:57 pm »

Ah, thank you. I do believe we shoud have a "How to Post" thread sometimes, lol.

The other thing that's killing my eyes is the threads with scrolling marquees. Guys, it's a cool feature, yeah. And awesome for intro posts, maybe even sigs, or to get across one point. But my God, don't make your whole post scroll. I can't handle it.

Morada
Town Resident

Community Points: 15

VA Beach, VA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2005, 10:17:44 pm »

I'm bringing this post over from the last incarnation of the forum.  It was originally a post that Heidi wrote.  I just updated it.

Here on the ORG forums we like to have a good time, but it's helpful to read the rules and FAQ so you can be "in the know." Any violators of these rules and regulations shall be hung by the neck in the town square of Stars Hollow. Wink

Short Rules:

• Before starting a new topic, it's helpful to look around or use the Search function, since we have a topic for almost everything. Here at ORG we like to keep things fairly neat and organized, so if you start a thread that's a duplicate of one that's already in progress, it will be closed.

• Please be clear when naming your threads. Although it may seem hard to believe, some people coming into the forum don't know what all of the shipper names are, or don't know that SSJ means "Sookie St. James", or don't know Lorelai's real name (so "LG Appreciation" would make zero sense to them). Obviously, if a person clicked on each thread and read the opening post, these things would become clear, but sometimes people can't take the time to do these things.  A good example of the type of thread title we'd like to see:

Noddies (Luke Danes/Scott Patterson Appreciation) - Other Text
Balcony Buds: Lorelai-Christopher Shippers - Other Text

This may force you to cut down on the length of your clever titles, eliminating things like Thread #2566! Wahoo!, or limit the number of ~ symbols that you use in order to fit the information in. But I like to think of that as something of a challenge -- and you guys are up to the task!

• No star posting (posting for little other reason than raising your post count to change your star level).  Please, if you are going to post, try to contribute something to the conversation. Don't just say "I agree" or "Lorelai's cool."  It's a nuisance for many people, especially those with slower connections, who wait a few minutes for a thread to open and the only thing that's been added is a smilie, or an "I agree."  I'm not saying you can never post short messages. We all do. But please don't do it too often, or too much. In other words, more IS more... less isn't.

• Remember your common sense and manners, and you won't need other rules.
FAQ

In the land of Gilmore Girls fans, things can quickly become confusing, especially if you're new to the crazy land of discussion forums.

I heard a crazy rumor that GG reruns were going to be on ABC Family. Is that true?
Yes, they began in the fall 2004.

When is GG going to come out on DVD?
At this time Seasons 1, 2, 3 and 4 are available for purchase.  Season 5 is due to be released on December 13, 2005.  Check the DVD Thread for new release dates as they are announced.

This place is confusing and I don't know where to start!
You can visit one of the Introduction Threads, located at the top of every board, and introduce yourself. You'll get a welcome to the forum from other members. Smiley

Then, there are many other threads you can visit depending on what you're looking for. We have a thread for almost anything, so it's helpful to look around or use the Search function before starting a new topic. Some helpful threads to know are:

• Gilmore Girls Questions
  • If you have any general questions about Gilmore Girls, they can usually be found here
  • Questions specifically regarding cast or characters can usually be found here
  • To discuss individual episodes, go here.   Episodes are grouped by Season, then by individual episode. 
  • Information of any kind regarding upcoming episodes, upcoming plotlines, or upcoming developments in the show is considered SPOILER information.  This means it has the potential of spoiling someone's viewing enjoyment.  The designated area for discussion of spoilers is here.   Please ensure spoiler information is not posted in any other area of the forum. 
We also have plenty of games, polls, and discussions for about every character and ship imaginable -- so join in and have some fun!

What is a 'ship?
A 'ship is a pairing that you like, such as Rory and Jess, Luke and Lorelai, etc.

What are the 'ships?
Java Junkies = Luke and Lorelai
Balcony Buds = Lorelai and Christopher
Teacher's Pet = Lorelai and Max
Headliners = Rory and Logan
Literati = Rory and Jess
Narcoleptics = Rory and Dean
Trory = Tristan and Rory
Lane and Zack
Bandmates = Lane and Dave
Paris and Doyle
Dippers = Jess and Paris
Foodies = Sookie and Jackson
UC = Unconventional couples (Louise/Dean, Lane/Tristan, etc).

What ranks are there?
ORG Forum Staff:
Site Administrator: 6 blue stars
Elite Moderator: 5 blue stars
Moderator: 4 blue stars
Technical Expert: 4 blue stars

ORG Forum Members:
Town Troubadour: 1 post, 0 orange stars
Town Newbie: 50 posts, 0 orange stars
Town Resident: 200 posts, 1 orange star
Luke's Diner Aficionado: 500 posts, 1 orange star
Coffee Connoisseur: 1000 posts, 1 orange star
Chiltonite: 1500 posts, 1 orange star
Inn Maid: 2000 posts, 2 orange stars
Inn Bellhop: 2500 posts, 2 orange stars
Inn Maintenance: 3000 posts, 3 orange stars
Inn Concierge: 3500 posts, 3 orange stars
Inn Chef: 4000 posts, 4 orange stars
Inn Manager: 4500 posts, 4 orange stars
Inn Owner: 5000 posts, 5 orange stars

When do the threads get closed?
We no longer have to worry about thread length.  Threads no longer get closed for being too long. 

Why do threads get closed?
Threads are closed for several reasons:

• It's a duplicate thread. Here at ORG we like to keep things fairly neat and organized -- therefore we have one thread per topic. It may be helpful to look around the boards before starting a new thread. Chances are, a discussion is already in progress.
  • It doesn't belong in the forum it was started in. In this case it will most likely be moved to the forum that it does belong in -- unless a similar topic already exists there, in which case it will be closed. 
  • It has nothing to do with Gilmore Girls. There is one thread on the forum (besides the Introduction threads and threads such as these, outlining rules and reminders) not devoted to discussion of Gilmore Girls. It's the Off Topic thread and is located in the General forum. You can post there if you want to talk about your cats or your children or your love of chocolate or the problems you're having with your computer.
  • It's gross and/or inappropriate. Self-explanatory.
For questions about posting, avatars, formatting, private messages, etc: please visit the FAQ page. If your question isn't answered there, please post in the Community Center Q&A thread in the Community Center.

If your GG question isn't answered here or there, please feel free to ask on this thread.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2005, 02:32:31 am by Morada » Logged

It only takes one kiss...

to speak from the heart.
Summer
twirling in the twilight
Diner Regular

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2005, 10:24:11 pm »

The threads are closed when they hit 16 pages/225 posts. Please don't start a new thread until the thread has reached that point.

As stated above, threads are closed when they get too long. In other cases, threads are closed for several reasons:

* It's a duplicate thread. Here at ORG we like to keep things fairly neat and organized -- therefore we have one thre

With the new forum technology, this is no longer necessary. Threads will no longer be closed upon reaching a certain length.

Morada
Town Resident

VA Beach, VA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2005, 10:53:57 pm »

With the new forum technology, this is no longer necessary. Threads will no longer be closed upon reaching a certain length.
Very cool.  I updated the post just in case something horrible happens to the forum again.

to speak from the heart.
TheHumanCoffeePot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2005, 03:48:20 am »

Good...no great idea.  That needed to be said.

...JavaJunkie above all else...Noddie...Foodie...Logan-Loather...closet Literati...Lauren fan...
White Onyx
Town Selectman

Community Points: 247

Buried under a lot of Schoolbooks

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2005, 06:19:42 am »

The threads are closed when they hit 16 pages/225 posts. Please don't start a new thread until the thread has reached that point.

As stated above, threads are closed when they get too long. In other cases, threads are closed for several reasons:

† † * It's a duplicate thread. Here at ORG we like to keep things fairly neat and organized -- therefore we have one thre

So we won't have to make new threads or will it automaticly close when it gets to big? (...yes I'm blond... Embarrassed)

LORELAI: Oh, donít be embarrassed Snuffy, Iím just teasing. Itíd be a Mets cap.
LUKE: Could you possibly leave me and little missus alone for just a minute?
Luke: Got a handful of Barbie.

Summer
twirling in the twilight
Diner Regular

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2005, 06:25:05 am »

We just won't have to make new threads. So instead of having Java Junkies #124, #125, #126, etc, we'd just have one long Java Junkie thread.

White Onyx
Town Selectman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2005, 06:59:06 am »

So no more naming the threads....that's kinda sad.

Morada
Town Resident

VA Beach, VA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2005, 07:01:33 am »

So no more naming the threads....that's kinda sad.
Well, look at it this way.  From now on, all our wonderful FSC caps will be in the same thread!  That way someone could laugh their rear end off for hours in one thread alone.

There's always a silver lining. Wink

to speak from the heart.
White Onyx
Town Selectman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2005, 07:38:29 am »

Yeah, kinda funny cause I was trying to find the old links (on the old forum) to put in the introduction thread, so that people could see the old FSC's. Now that's done already. Hi so why are a couple of thread tittles still numbered? Should we change that or let it be for old times. 

Summer
twirling in the twilight
Diner Regular

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2005, 08:12:52 am »

I'm sure we can work out some kind of system. If you'd like, you can edit the thread title every so often, or have themes, or... we'll figure something out. Wink We're open to suggestions.

White Onyx
Town Selectman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2005, 08:23:14 am »

Yeah we'll figure something out. But the no names thing is kinda good, cause now we don't have to think of stuff for the tittle.

Heidi
Administrator
Diner Chef

Community Points: 648

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2005, 01:30:00 pm »

Does anyone remember the most numbers of users online at once with the old Forum?  (I believe it was over one-hundred).  It always meant a lot to me when we'd get enough users online to break the previous record.

Thanks.

~Heidi

Flame    Flame
TheHumanCoffeePot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2005, 04:40:48 am »

Ok...my brain might be completely messing up, but I thought it was something like 137 or 117?  I don't know, that just sounds familiar.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
  Print  

Jump to: