GilmoreGirls.org Forum
June 24, 2022, 10:19:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: TV  Remember that feeling you got when watching Gilmore episodes for the first time?  Relive it!  With us!  Join the viewing party, A Gilmore RevisitingTV

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Stereotypes in Gilmore Girls  (Read 78836 times)
gilmorewannabe
Town Troubadour

Community Points: 5

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 07, 2005, 03:00:50 pm »

Even though this thread started with alot of controversy its become one of the better threads to read.  So nice to see people have intelligent conversation.  Way to go orgies.

I LOVE GILMORE GIRLS       I LOVE GILMORE GIRLS [/size]
Java Junkies Rule
roryg fan
Chilton Graduate

Community Points: 78

in omnia paratus (after a coffee fix)

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 14, 2005, 07:30:32 am »

I pose some questions on stereotyping in creative endeavors (including books, tv, & movies)

Is it possible to write creatively without using some form of stereotyping?  Doesn't all comedy contain some form of stereotyping?  And, is stereotyping wrong when it is used to mock people's preceptions and prejudices?

Can stereotyping be a positive thing?

Java , Chocolate , Reading & Gilmore Girl addict
mecca
Town Troubadour

Community Points: 5

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 14, 2005, 08:31:08 am »

I pose some questions on stereotyping in creative endeavors (including books, tv, & movies)

Is it possible to write creatively without using some form of stereotyping?  Doesn't all comedy contain some form of stereotyping?  And, is stereotyping wrong when it is used to mock people's preceptions and prejudices?

Can stereotyping be a positive thing?
It's my birthday and I stayed home from work so I had time to wonder about the origin of the word.   According the the wikipedia, it comes from the world of printing, and it was a duplicate used for printing instead of the original.  It later was used for a set of ideas repeated identically.  In my opinion, the word stereotype usually connotates that something is being mocked, a put-down.  But using ideas that are often repeated and known is of course very useful in dramatically getting a point across.  So I'm sure there is a better word to use than stereotype when the reason for it's use is positive rather than negative.  Another good reason to increase our vocabuaries!  (can you tell I'm a teacher)

Over 40 and lovin' the GGirls
roryg fan
Chilton Graduate

in omnia paratus (after a coffee fix)

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 14, 2005, 08:43:54 am »

(can you tell I'm a teacher)
Actually, I just thought you were another information junkie, like me....  Cheesy

You raise some good points so I am hitting you with the pretty stick.  Looks like you need it, too.  Wink

I wonder when the word stereotype came to have a negative connotation.  I actually never viewed it as negative way in itself for I have used the terms 'negative' and 'positive' stereotypes in the past. I believe it is realtively recent.  But, as the world changes so do the meanings of phrases and words.  (Once upon a time and not so very long ago the word 'gay' did not indicate a sexual preference, rather was just a synonym of the word happy.)

Java , Chocolate , Reading & Gilmore Girl addict
Dani257
Pretty Town Spinster

Community Points: 242

I post. Deal with it.

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 14, 2005, 11:06:08 am »

I think the reason stereotype is viewed as a negative word is because usually when people stereotype, they use it in an "us" vs "them" manner.  They look for what makes a person different from them, and then categorize all people who fit in that group in the same way.  I think that's why people get upset at even positive stereotypes.  Like "all Asians are math geniuses."  I mean, that's much better than "all Asians are criminals" but it still puts them in a box.  It helps people make snap judgements.

And, then there's the problem that if a person fits one stereotype, there's the danger that people will assume they fit every stereotype. 

As for tv, I think if you limit a character to nothing but stereotypes, at the very least it makes for unbelievable characters, but stereotypes can be a starting point when you look beyond them.  Example, at first, Emily fit the stereotype of cold upper class WASP.  All she cared about was status and appearances.  Then, they gradually went beyond the stereotype.  They added that she needs to be needed.  They showed a bit of how Lorelai's running away hurt her.  The stereotypes were still there, but she was more.  Unfortunately, imo, they went back to the stereotypes with an added pinch of hysteria in season 5.

Mrs. Kim may speak with an accent, want Lane to marry a Korean, have family who've had arranged marriages, be "overly" religious (I still disagree with that assessment) but she's more than that.  Naturally, being a recurring character she will not be as developed as the others, but they show that she has reasons for her behavior with Lane.  She wants Lane to be safe.  They've shown her adapt.  Season 1 they had her allow Lane in the front yard as a relenting of her punishment.  Yes, it was played for laughs, but it showed that she could listen.  And, unlike Emily, she grew more in later seasons.  Based on past episodes, you wouldn't expect her to support Lane's band, but she helped them when they thought they would have to quit.

A bit leaner, but still chock full of demonic glory.  (Still pro Logan)
100% supportive of Alexis Bledel

http://www.associatedcontent.com/user/8624/angela_tircuit.html
Lorein_ARG
Stars Hollow High Student

Community Points: 52

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 14, 2005, 07:49:13 pm »

I think I´m learning a lot from all these threads, starting from the point that I've found a "friendly way" to improve my english. And I also went to look what In omnia paratus meant!

I agree with Dany257 when she (or he?) says: As for tv, I think if you limit a character to nothing but stereotypes, at the very least it makes for unbelievable characters, but stereotypes can be a starting point when you look beyond them. I believe that as a "tool" for writers, stereotypes work in these two ways: to look beyond them and to make fun of them. Either way they make you think about it (just take a look at this thread!)
The problem is when we believe that we know Asians ways of living because we know Mrs. Kim, or we know rich people because we know Emily and Richard. also the problem is when the writers believe (or make us believe) that they are showing "the real world".
This happens in real-world, everyday-life: we all have prejudices about others, but it is good to look beyond them and learn a lot about the diversity of people and cultures we can find. That is what life has to offer! Lots of different people who never stop teaching new things to us.

Oh, I can't stop drinking the coffee. I stop drinking coffee, I stop doing the standing and walking and the words putting-into-sentence doing.
Dani257
Pretty Town Spinster

Community Points: 242

I post. Deal with it.

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2005, 01:07:07 am »

I agree with Dany257 when she (or he?)

She Grin 

The problem is when we believe that we know Asians ways of living because we know Mrs. Kim, or we know rich people because we know Emily and Richard. also the problem is when the writers believe (or make us believe) that they are showing "the real world".

Ah, but that's a problem with the viewers.  I think all any tv writer can do is make sure they write three dimensional characters.  When AS-P writes a scene for Emily, she shouldn't think "Rich people would act like this" but "Emily would act like this." Beyond that, it's up to the viewers to move past their own snap judgements.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2005, 01:08:28 am by Dani257 » Logged

A bit leaner, but still chock full of demonic glory.  (Still pro Logan)
100% supportive of Alexis Bledel

http://www.associatedcontent.com/user/8624/angela_tircuit.html
dani
Gilmore Maid

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2006, 01:24:14 pm »

I don't believe that this show is truley contraversial.  People are kind of like this in real life, and thats what i like about the show, it's true.  They write stuff now, where it has no reality to it, but people watch it for the drama(nothing against anyone), and the story lines have no depth to it.  I like stuff that has a good story line to it and I can relate to and enjoy.
brightkelly
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 0

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2006, 06:56:21 pm »

I'm Chinese national, and I love the show, never thought it is racist! I actually think the show is quite friendly to all races.
Since i've grown up in china and was always surrounded by Chinese, I'm just not as paranoid as some people who are raised in multiracial communities.  :Smiley
ladiee_kay
« Reply #69 on: March 10, 2006, 07:27:39 pm »

Sad  nicoteca   Angry

Why do you have to be against Asian people?  You should accept them for who they are. Including me.
Nene
Diner Regular

Community Points: 39

Vina Morales as Elvira Aragoncillo Alicante

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2006, 08:34:33 pm »

What about Filipinos?!?! Just leave Asians alone ok nicoteca? Or I'll have to Snark you...Bakit ba? Ang sungit mo talaga!Bahala na ang mga Pinoy OK!? Sabi ko na Snark nasnark. Gusto mo pa?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 08:45:09 pm by Nene » Logged

.:~*Susan*:.
Visit my blog!
Curry
Diner Owner

Community Points: 137

~ Daniela

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2006, 12:20:14 am »

Guys, this thread was opened months ago by a troll that never posted (and very likely will never post) anything again, and it actually turned into an interesting general discussion about stereotypes in the show. I understand you might feel offended, but there's no need to get upset about the stupid opening post. Just ignore that one and read the other posts, they have substance. Smiley

Ah, but that's a problem with the viewers.  I think all any tv writer can do is make sure they write three dimensional characters.  When AS-P writes a scene for Emily, she shouldn't think "Rich people would act like this" but "Emily would act like this." Beyond that, it's up to the viewers to move past their own snap judgements.

Dani257, I agree with you, it's all up to the viewers. Viewers who think that this kind of show is representing reality should probably turn off their TV and take a look out the window Wink Of course several features and actions of the characters are based on realistic behaviour, but they are exaggerated so much that it should be obvious they are not real. I hope that makes sense.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2006, 12:47:49 am by Curry » Logged

Survivor of the GG Drinking Game
jinglesosborne
Stars Hollow High Student

Community Points: 14

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2006, 09:43:56 am »

I think one of the best parts of GG are the stereotypes, because I think stereotypes are integral to comedy, especially when they're crafted as well as they are here!  (An equal opportunity mocker, I think someone said on a previous post).  The rich, high school boys, snotty hotel workers like Michel, etc.  A bit of everything.  The strength of the show comes from the writers' ability to use these stereotypes to create funny, loving, and memorable characters who do become fairly well-rounded, despite the inherant stereotypes.  We even saw Mrs. Kim change her character long enough to encourage Zach to write rock, which was so evil a few seasons back, Lane had to listen to it in the closet. 

I think GG mocks a lot without hurting anyone.

Quite frankly, as a woman, I love the diverse characters which are represented on this show: awesome cook Sookie, bookworm and fun-loving Rory, cool single mother businesswoman Lorelai, etc.  I love that not everyone is stick thin, blond, or with a well-endowed chest.  At least the "woman" stereotype has no place in GG!  I've never once heard a joke about PMS!

NATALIE (to Lorelai): You have your mother’s wit.
EMILY: Sometimes I wish she’d give it back.
Janich O
« Reply #73 on: April 15, 2006, 10:24:10 am »

(An equal opportunity mocker, I think someone said on a previous post).
That would be Krisleigh Danes, and so it is
« Last Edit: May 14, 2006, 03:57:07 am by Janich O » Logged
JusTcaLLmeRedhEad
Diner Owner

Community Points: 15

KeeP iT cOminG. (:

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 13, 2006, 04:39:20 pm »

i have no earthly idea what you are talking about. not once have i ever seen any derogatory remarks that there intention is to stereotype or hurt Asians or any race for that matter. Just because you dont like Jews ((which is just as bad as your so called "Hollywood Jews" not liking Asians)) doestn mean the show doesnt like Asians.

roRy:: yOu LooK nIce kiRk. KirK:: thAnKs..thIs iS the sUit theY buRRieD my Dad in.

kIrk:: i'm sO daMn LonELy tHat noT evEn aNimaL pLanEt doEs it fOr mE anYmoRe.

kiRK faN fOr LiFe [:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  

Jump to: