Author Topic: Stereotypes in Gilmore Girls  (Read 79124 times)

Offline Left Field

• Town Resident
  • Community Points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Stereotypes in Gilmore Girls
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2005, 06:48:01 pm »
Alice grew up in a town where the black population was 0. I live in a town (Of 10,000 or so) with a black population of about 20. Literally.

Why is that?  I don't know a great deal about America's history, but I've read, heard, seen stories about the racial tensions that seem to infest (even today) the cities and towns of Southern USA, inparticular around the Mississippi, but I thought it was a little different in Northern USA, Maine, Conneticut etc where Gilmore Girls is set.  I'd thought it would be a little more relaxed, a more pleasent enviroment for the Black communities to live.
"Lorelai Gilmore.  Dissappointing mothers since 1968"

Offline Curry

• Diner Owner
  • Community Points: 137
  • ~ Daniela
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2005, 12:08:25 am »
The only stereotype I'm aware of is "all Asians are smart and future doctors."
Only the ones Mrs Kim picks and approves of ;) We don't know about the others.

I think we're feeding a troll here, but I do like the more general direction of the discussion, though we already had similar ones here and here. The opener of the latter thread hasn't posted anything else and  I guess the same will happen here.

To continue the list of stereotypes on the show - take Richard and Emily. They are rich, meaning they are intolerant, snobbish, selfish, regardless of people's feelings, shallow etc. Logan, his family and friends emphasize this picture we get and even add a criminal aspect. They are still the ones who are blamed for Rory's crisis. So rich people in general are bad, poor(er) ones are good.
Survivor of the GG Drinking Game

Offline Dani257

• Pretty Town Spinster
  • Community Points: 242
  • I post. Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2005, 12:29:31 am »
Is there a way to merge threads? 

I've always been bothered by the rich stereotype.  Funny, because I'm not rich (whoo, if I were ;D) and until Logan, I didn't even like any of the rich characters.  I don't like generalizations.  And, especially in season 5, it seemed that Emily and Richard (Emily mainly) got turned into broad caricatures, which made it worse.  Mrs. Kim may invoke some stereotypes, but I found humanizing characteristics that were more than just the stereotype. 

Oh, and Left Field, I just want to say that I really can't answer the question on why some northern towns have such small or nonexistant black populations.  Everything I think of is too simplistic, and not fully accurate.  Plus, I've never lived outside of Louisiana, so I don't even really know what it's like up north.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2005, 12:33:13 am by Dani257 »

A bit leaner, but still chock full of demonic glory.  (Still pro Logan)
100% supportive of Alexis Bledel

http://www.associatedcontent.com/user/8624/angela_tircuit.html

Offline natasha

• Chilton Graduate
  • Community Points: 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2005, 01:47:30 am »
well, if i didnt promise to myself i wouldnt snark anyone, i would do it now... but promise is a promise.
i dont get it how gg are makin Asians feel bad  :o ???

Janich O

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2005, 07:01:40 am »
I agree. I don't think Asians are being singled out. GG is an equal-oppurtunity mocker.
Thats a great :D I am going to steal some of that to my sig :)

Offline footi

• Stars Hollow Tourist
  • Community Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2005, 09:36:42 am »
wooow...seriously...i never looked at the show as a show that is full of stereotypes....

hm...but oh well...first of all, im german...

but i lived in the states for a year....as a matter of fact i lived in marion..a rather small town in ohio.....
and its true....hardly any black people lived there..

but i was actually quite -how should i say-shocked? when i read the first post of this thread....

in my opinion we shouldnt take any of the characters of the show too serious.....i mean...we all know that there is no such life as it is in stars hollow....with kirk and lorelei and i dont know who and what else......

not every rich person is rude and mean and snobbish...not every korean is totally religious and not every new york punk is a bad boy....lol

and i dont think that THAT was the message the writers of gg actually want to spread.....

i dont even know if it makes sense what im writing here...i better shut up...lol

Offline natasha

• Chilton Graduate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2005, 12:20:05 pm »
footi, good thinking, i agree

Offline Left Field

• Town Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2005, 04:20:28 pm »
Oh, and Left Field, I just want to say that I really can't answer the question on why some northern towns have such small or nonexistant black populations.  Everything I think of is too simplistic, and not fully accurate.  Plus, I've never lived outside of Louisiana, so I don't even really know what it's like up north.

And Gilmore Girls doesn't help you that regard??? :)

Don't worry about the question, I was just think aloud.  I just find it interesting how immigrant communities tend to stick to certain areas within the larger cities and very rarely branch out.  It's a shame, because the cities are 'stereotyped' as large, cosmopolitan and vibrant while small towns are backwards, almost racist and it isn't always that way at all.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2005, 04:23:33 pm by Left Field »

Offline Dani257

• Pretty Town Spinster
  • Community Points: 242
  • I post. Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2005, 05:01:52 pm »
Well, Stars Hollow isn't exactly a realistic portrait of a town.  It's really a fairy tale place.  But, I don't think the lack of black people reflects racism.  I don't want to say there is none, but one possible reason there aren't a lot of black people in a town like Stars Hollow is that there are many that grew up in a certain area, either in the south or in big cities and just stayed  close to home.  Not that they necessarily felt unwelcome.

A bit leaner, but still chock full of demonic glory.  (Still pro Logan)
100% supportive of Alexis Bledel

http://www.associatedcontent.com/user/8624/angela_tircuit.html

Offline Left Field

• Town Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2005, 06:25:05 pm »
Well, Stars Hollow isn't exactly a realistic portrait of a town.  It's really a fairy tale place. 

Where you can't see a persons breath, even duing winter.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2005, 06:27:29 pm by Left Field »

Krisleigh

« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2005, 06:27:31 pm »
Well, Stars Hollow isn't exactly a realistic portrait of a town.  It's really a fairy tale place. 

Where you can't see people's breathe's, even duing winter.

And Mount Hollywood can be seen from Connecticut.

Offline natasha

• Chilton Graduate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2005, 12:09:16 pm »

Where you can't see people's breathe's, even duing winter.

And Mount Hollywood can be seen from Connecticut.
;D

Offline Lorein_ARG

• Stars Hollow High Student
  • Community Points: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2005, 04:43:32 pm »
Well, despite the bad beginning, this turned out to be an extremely interesting thread.

One of the things i like most of GG is how they laugh at stereotypes. In my opinion, the characters are at the edge of stereotypes: Lorelai is the coolest mum, Ms. Kim is the most protective mum (she is Korean, but could have been Catholic, Protestant, or even Jew!!)., Jess isn't a bad boy, he is the worst!, Emily and Richard are really snob and the Huntzberger (is it well spelled?) are the worst rich people ever. and Taylor!!! He is the most... well the most Taylor! And Stars Hollow is the better place to live!!! I think that is nice about the show.
I particularly "enjoy" Emily's maids: it shows, in a funny-pathetic way, the situation of thousands of immigrants from Latin America or Eastern Europe, the way they are treated by Emily really sucks. And only one of them made Emily be called to court! She doesn't even know where they are from ("what language is that" when Rory is speaking in Spanish, she didn't like to hear that conversation and she  fired the maid!!!!!).
So, although the show is not particularly "politically correct" there are this things that make this TV show so special
Oh, I can't stop drinking the coffee. I stop drinking coffee, I stop doing the standing and walking and the words putting-into-sentence doing.

Offline rorylai

• Stars Hollow Tourist
  • Community Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2005, 08:36:02 pm »
there are not many blacks in stars hollow because there are not many blacks in some towns, nor are there many hispanics either ( in some towns and on the show). i'm hispanic and it never bothered me. it's just realistic that's all, i've lived in small towns where there are few blacks and hispanics, and also few minorities in general.

Offline Left Field

• Town Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2005, 11:51:19 pm »
there are not many blacks in stars hollow because there are not many blacks in some towns, nor are there many hispanics either ( in some towns and on the show). i'm hispanic and it never bothered me. it's just realistic that's all, i've lived in small towns where there are few blacks and hispanics, and also few minorities in general.

Do you think small towns miss out by not having the cultural diversity that the big cities have??
I live in Canberra which has a population of 310,000, and every year we celebrate our cultural diversity by having a month long festival (arounf March/April) of food, plays, music and dance from as many 100 countries.  It's actually quite enlightning to listen to the different styles of music and dance and tasting authentic (Richard will be happy :)) foods, it's really an enjoyable month.  Taylor would tearing his hair out with jealousy. ;D