GilmoreGirls.org Forum
June 27, 2022, 04:42:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Snap  Heidi's Soapbox, now with a new poll! Vote, vote, vote!  Good times.  Best times!  Chomp

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Was my recent dream about plasma screens an omen that my computer monitor would die?
No, don't be ridiculous! The two aren't even related. - 1 (2.6%)
Maybe, stranger things have happened. - 14 (36.8%)
Yes, now please have a dream about lottery numbers! - 15 (39.5%)
Heidi, quit making polls and go back to your liquid diet already. - 8 (21.1%)
Total Voters: 38

Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 167
  Print  
Author Topic: Heidi's Soapbox: News, Opinions, and Things You Never Wanted to Know  (Read 1145002 times)
MasBYUgal
Inn Concierge

Community Points: 595

Org Awards : Best Sig Creator '06 & '07

View Profile
« Reply #1710 on: October 02, 2007, 12:32:18 am »

Well Mira, it has now officially been tuesday for about a 1/2 hour in Heidi's timezone.   Nod

(Have I ever proclaimed that I'm patient? Wink)

I'm Melissa.

Just say, "Yes, M.A.M.M. !"
/Member of Queen B
Lovefiend
Yale Alumnus

Community Points: 905

Shary's Stalkee, Lexie is my lil sis/ R.I.P BF

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1711 on: October 02, 2007, 12:56:18 am »

Tuesday's nearly over here!! Ahhhh the suspense is killing me!! This rivals the feeling I get waiting for my finals results!!

~I wish I could touch you again, I wish I could still call you friend, I'd give, anything... ~

MiniPink
talkingfriend
Inn Manager

Community Points: 341

Thanks Fanny!

View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: October 02, 2007, 04:16:22 am »

it is the middle of tuesday..here...

come on heidi..... Wink

Gigi fan + narco + java junkie + spree + pts at Hearts + photography nerd + Austrian + British = marlies
GilmoreAddict7899
Diner Chef

Community Points: 399

in Omnia Paratus...

View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: October 02, 2007, 04:45:23 am »

Come on!  Grin I need an answer, im dying to know. It about 7:45am where I am so I've been up for a little bi t. Can't wait for those picts!

I need to know!  Cheesy

Java Junkie-Litliner.....Kim =)
the girls4ever
Town Selectman

Community Points: 727

He's Dazzling

View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: October 02, 2007, 08:14:12 am »

We are patiently waiting for Heidi's answer 

Aw who am I kidding, this is more like it:

Cheesy

Whenever you get to it Heidi  Wink

-Laura-

Twilight
70% Headliner 30% Literati, Java Junkie always
Brenda is my partner in crime~Love to the Sprees & Lits
Miranda
Town Selectman

Community Points: 775

Call me Mira

View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: October 02, 2007, 09:11:29 am »

Lol, it's now 6.15 pm here and the suspense is killing me!!! ARGH!  Angry Grin Wink

Thanks sis (Katinka a.k.a Snowy_Duerre)
kamibeaR
Diner Chef

Community Points: 452

Elphaba, Elphie, Fabala, Fae

View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: October 02, 2007, 10:22:07 am »

We are patiently waiting for Heidi's answer 

Aw who am I kidding, this is more like it:

Cheesy

Whenever you get to it Heidi  Wink

LOL ahhh i love those bouncy smilies!!

Dude I hope we're not like freaking Heidi out and making her not want to post those pictures. Wink We all sound like little kids! Hehehehe. Woot woot!

*Kami*

"You know black, is this years pink!"

Sig by Laura.

Hearts Wicked and Twilight
Honourary Aussie
SPREE
Java Junkie
Narco/Headliner
MissV327
Inn Owner

Community Points: 147

~*~ Katy ~*~ aka Peachy Keen

View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: October 02, 2007, 11:14:13 am »

Ooo! I have found a new poll that I never new existed! WOO HOO! Can't wait to see the pics! It's 1:15 pm on Tuesday here in sunny Nashville, TN!

"You silly little pickle! You silly little peas!" - Veggie Tales (Those sweet geniuses!)

"Let your heart guide you. It whispers...so listen carefully."
The Land Before Time

W.W.P.O.D. ?
Heidi
Administrator
Diner Chef

Community Points: 648

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1718 on: October 02, 2007, 10:46:49 pm »

Question:  How did I break my arm when I was younger?

Playing basketball - 7 (18.4%)
Falling off a bike - 15 (39.5%)
Running and tripping - 8 (21.1%)
Diving into a pool - 3 (7.9%)
Arm wrestling - 5 (13.2%)

Total Votes: 38

And the winner is ... running and tripping!  One afternoon when I was about three years old I was playing in my front yard with other neighborhood kids.  We weren't engaged in any specific activity, just regular ole 'playing'.  At one point we ended up running on the sidewalk and the next thing I knew, I'd tripped, fallen, and broken my arm.  It happened that fast.

I didn't trip on anyone or anything.  I barely even remember falling.  It was ruuuuuuunning.  Broken arm.  Run, run.  Broken.  What I do clearly remember is being face down on the sidewalk with my right arm stretched out in front of me.  When I started to lift my arm off the ground it lifted in two pieces.

My Dad was outside when everything happened.  He picked me up, put me in the car, ran inside to get my Mom, and we were off to the emergency room straight away.  My Dad was in such a hurry that he didn't even put on shoes.  (Classy, I know.  That's how we roll.)  According to my Mom we waited in the ER about an hour before being seen.  The doctor took x-rays, put on a cast, and said to come back in a few weeks for a routine follow-up appointment.

As it happens, that follow-up appointment didn't turn out too routinely because my arm wasn't setting in the correct position.  So, the doctor had to take off my original cast, re-break my arm, set it again, and put on a new cast.  (Mom says that the re-breaking of my arm was more painful for her than it was for me, hehe.)  From there everything went smoothly and I am happy to report that my arm has remained in perfect condition ever since.

My question ... did you name your cast, casty?  Wink

From what I recall, my cast was given no name.  Clearly, at age three I was no match for the wit of our Gilmores.

My question: Did you keep your cast that helped to heal your broken arm, as a memory? Did everyone sign it?

I didn't keep either cast (from the original break or the re-set), but I did have friends and family sign their names and write messages.  If I broke my arm today ::knock on wood:: I would almost definitely save it as a souvenir.

I have to say my fave answer was the tripped and fell over one though.  I don't know why, and I promise I'm not mean, but that would be really funny to see. 

Cruel, so cruel! 

Ooh, so far looks like I am the only one who thinks you are enough of a dumbass to run and trip! PMSL!!!!

"Why are you so cruel to mama?"  Chomp

I'm gonna have to agree with Caryn and say that seeing someone trip and fall over is funny. It's happened to me lots of times  :Smiley I laugh at anything...it sounds mean but especially when people fall over. I laugh at first...but then make sure they're okay  Wink

I'm going to cry myself to sleep now ...

Lol, I agree with you guys about the laughing at someone falling thing... except when it happens to yourself. OUCH!

My self-esteem ... it's dropping.

See, I didn't think that tripping and falling (unless you were really tall) would be enough of an impact to break an arm?  Although kid's bones are a lot less strong.

Maybe I was the tallest three year old in the history of the universe, eh?  Eh!?

haha, I can definitely see tripping and falling be a cause, but really any are very likely possibilities of ways of breaking a bone/arm.

The voice of reason!

I am really hoping that she broke it arm wrestling. That would be the coolest thing I ever heard. I would love Heidi 2374873240957203985 times more. No, but it would be a good conversation starter...

I don't know, I think this is a pretty good conversation starter (not to mention thread topic):  "When I was little, I broke my arm.  One minute I was running and the next minute I wasn't."

Heidi you've got to be kidding me! As much of a geek as you proclaim to be, you're telling me you have no scanner.  Since I've done a lot of photowork and I'm married to a computer guy, I know of at least 3 scanners we have lying around the house.  Need one?Wink

I actually do own a scanner and for the last five-ish years it has occupied the same section of floor space ... in my closet.  It's obviously rather old in 'computer years', but I'm sure it would still work if I called upon it.  However, as you can tell, I don't have a great need for scanning things and therefore refuse to install its drivers on my computers.  (It's not even USB.  Ew.) 

Hopefully everyone knows me well enough to be able to tell that my above responses were made in good fun.  This poll brought me a lot of laughs and I love that everyone got involved to share their two cents.  The pressure is really on for my next poll question.

Without further adieu, as promised, I present three photos of Casty and me ...

Check out the 'blankie and pillow' cameo.  Where's bunny?!

Yea, I'm totally wearing socks with sandals.

Isn't it kind of mean to take your broken-armed daughter to the beach when she's not allowed to get her cast wet?

Questions or comments?  Bring it!  Star

~Heidi

Flame    Flame
honkifuluvGG
Pretty Town Spinster

Community Points: 1944

View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: October 02, 2007, 11:24:31 pm »

Wow what a fantastic post Heidi.  So full of fun Heidi facts, that I'm all giddy with the excitement of it all.  And boy am I feeling a tad embarrassed about starting the whole "How funny would it be...?" conversation about viewing people's falling over skills (or lack thereof) Embarrassed Grin  However clearly had I have known that you were so young, I wouldn't have been quite so harsh.  Although having said that my 3yo was sitting on a chair the other week and then bam Bam, all of a sudden he wasn't.  I LMAO, and then I had to make sure there were no tears, and when all was good and he got over his embarrassment I continued laughing! Cheesy

I didn't trip on anyone or anything. I barely even remember falling. It was ruuuuuuunning. Broken arm. Run, run. Broken. What I do clearly remember is being face down on the sidewalk with my right arm stretched out in front of me. When I started to lift my arm off the ground it lifted in two pieces.

Heehee isn't it sooo much fun, but sooo scary at the same time, when you are little and you are running so hard that you know your body is gaining momentum that your feet can't handle the pressure of.   

And EEEWWWWWWW - that is totally graphic and way horrible.  Having never broken any bones, I can only imagine the pain, and only hope that the shock of it all perhaps dulled the pain a little.

My Dad was in such a hurry that he didn't even put on shoes. (Classy, I know. That's how we roll.)  (Mom says that the re-breaking of my arm was more painful for her than it was for me, hehe.)

Hey I'm proud of your Dad for not putting the shoes thing before the care of his one and only little girl.  Good for him!!  And your Mum!!  Such a typical Mum comment.  There truly is no pain like the pain of seeing your child hurting though, so I kind of have to go with her on this one Heidi.  Although I'm sure it was no picnic for you, either.

I have to say my fave answer was the tripped and fell over one though. I don't know why, and I promise I'm not mean, but that would be really funny to see.

Cruel, so cruel!

Ooh, so far looks like I am the only one who thinks you are enough of a dumbass to run and trip! PMSL!!!!

"Why are you so cruel to mama?" Chomp

I'm gonna have to agree with Caryn and say that seeing someone trip and fall over is funny. It's happened to me lots of times :Smiley I laugh at anything...it sounds mean but especially when people fall over. I laugh at first...but then make sure they're okay Wink

I'm going to cry myself to sleep now ...

Lol, I agree with you guys about the laughing at someone falling thing... except when it happens to yourself. OUCH!

My self-esteem ... it's dropping.

See, I didn't think that tripping and falling (unless you were really tall) would be enough of an impact to break an arm? Although kid's bones are a lot less strong.

Maybe I was the tallest three year old in the history of the universe, eh? Eh!?

haha, I can definitely see tripping and falling be a cause, but really any are very likely possibilities of ways of breaking a bone/arm.

The voice of reason!

I am really hoping that she broke it arm wrestling. That would be the coolest thing I ever heard. I would love Heidi 2374873240957203985 times more. No, but it would be a good conversation starter...

I don't know, I think this is a pretty good conversation starter (not to mention thread topic): "When I was little, I broke my arm. One minute I was running and the next minute I wasn't."

LMAO - these absolutely cracked me up Heidi.  Great responses!!  When I found out the answer to your poll, my first thought went to this funny line of posts that we had taken part in and how you must have been feeling about them.  I'm glad you have a great sense of humour and took them in the spirit they were intended.  And that you came up with such funny responses to them also.

And the Heidi photos, yay!!!  They are so adorable and give us a little more insight into the world of you!  I agree though that it must have been "great fun" at the beach with a cast on.....all that sand itching away inside.

And my you were tall for a 3 year old!!  My six and a half year old is barely that tall (although he is rather on the short side). 

Are you tall now?

Again thanks again for sharing Heidi.  This was by far my fave poll to date.  And I'm glad that your arm is in good working order now.

Caryn
 Kiss

P.S.  Actually come to think of it.  Isn't your softball team always winning championships?  Are you like a real life Jamie Summers? Wink Cheesy

« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 11:38:12 pm by honkifuluvGG » Logged

Please read Forum Rules
Lovefiend
Yale Alumnus

Community Points: 905

Shary's Stalkee, Lexie is my lil sis/ R.I.P BF

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1720 on: October 03, 2007, 12:37:18 am »

Those are adorable pictures, Heidi!!! I love the fact that the soft toy in the last one is almost as big as you!!
ehe, well, like I said, kid's bones are weaker!! They haven't hardend yet!! That's one cracker of a story though, I love it.
t's probably a good thing you don't still have your casts, they smell pretty bad after awhile!!

~I wish I could touch you again, I wish I could still call you friend, I'd give, anything... ~

MiniPink
Loridhhp
Gilmore Maid

Community Points: 125

Love heals all wounds

View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: October 03, 2007, 01:26:11 am »

Please Heidi, don't feel so bad. When I was around ten years old, I was running down the sidewalk with my brother and cousins in a race. My brother body checked me to get in the lead and I ran full force into a STOP SIGN! As in bounced off said stop sign and hit the ground with a thud! The stop sign vibrated wildly back and forth from the impact! I couldn't believe I DIDN'T break my forearm! I had a giant hematoma the size of a softball. It was so painful. Speaking of tripping and falling... when I was in the navy, I tripped while walking and fell onto a crane track for the shipboard crane! It was a really narrow edge I landed on and again, I couldn't believe I DIDN'T break my lower leg! I had a softball sized hematoma AGAIN and had to walk with crutches for two weeks cause I couldn't put pressure on my foot. Talk about weird, extremely painful, yet funny injuries! Those were the worst bruises I ever had!

So I feel for ya! Grin My walking skills have greatly improved, well unless you count slamming my foot against the Kirby vacuum and snapping my pinky toe like a twig! Who knew a tiny toe could cause so much agony and take freaking three months to heal! Maybe I should just give up the whole walking thing. It's highly over rated. Grin Have a great day! Looking forward to the next poll.     Grin Lori

Lori: "Friends come and go but I'm your mother. I'll always be here for you."
Ariel: "What if I'm an Archeologist in Eygpt and I'm having hallucinations and manic?"
Lori: "Then I'll be on the next plane. I won't give up ever"
GilmoreAddict7899
Diner Chef

Community Points: 399

in Omnia Paratus...

View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: October 03, 2007, 04:21:52 am »

Great pictures Heidi! That is actually what I always pictured that you looked like (older of course though).

Loved the story. Through I am sorry to report I have no embarrassing stories of my own. Sorry  Grin

Java Junkie-Litliner.....Kim =)
MasBYUgal
Inn Concierge

Community Points: 595

Org Awards : Best Sig Creator '06 & '07

View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: October 03, 2007, 06:45:01 am »

*deep breath*  It's about time!  ... j.k. Thanks for sharing, adorable pictures.  (for some reason I always thought you were a brunette) And yes, why on earth were you @ the beach?  I can't imagine what it would have been like to have the doctor re-break your arm, that's insane.  And I'm w/ Caryn you do look tall, more like a 5 year old.  Though assumptions are bad, I'd guess this height has helped w/ your athletic abilities ... unless of course her predictions are right ... Jamie Summers?  Wink

As for embarrassing injury stories I have my share.  When I was in 1st grade(6 yrs old) I got my left pinky finger caught in the hinge side of a door. The doors were new at church and hadn't been adjusted yet... I  remember running to the bathroom to wash it off and my finger was kind of just barely hanging there.  I don't remember too much more, but apparently once the pain killers settled in and the doctor was sewing up my finger(or whatever he needed to do) I was curious as ever asking him all kinds of questions. 

But my story that is similar to Heidi's happened at a more mature age.  It was Christmas break of my freshman year of college.  It was FREEZING we were having wind chill temps o 30-40 degrees below.  I had been talking on the phone w/ a friend who lived nearby, but her mom was angry she wasn't getting anything done while she was on the phone, so she invited me over.  She lived maybe 8 blocks away, so I bundled up to walk over.  Since it was so cold I decided to run(more like jog in my lack of shape) and somewhere in the middle I tripped over a man hole cover.  All I remember was landing and facing the opposite direction.  My ankle hurt so bad to walk, I actually tried to keep jogging as I went to her house.  When her little sister opened the door she looked down at my knee and asked what happened.  It had been so cold I didn't realize that the leg opposite of my ankle was all bloody. Eventually I made it to the ER because I passed out a bit and I had sprained my ankle and scraped up my kneew enough to need some stitches.  So I didn't have a 'good' leg at all!  The worst part was when they had to clean out my knee from the gravel and stuff from the asphalt, it felt like they were using steel wool.

Well there's my two main stories, I bet until a new poll is up we'll all be reminiscing our past injuries.

I'm Melissa.

Just say, "Yes, M.A.M.M. !"
/Member of Queen B
Fantasy
Diner Waitress

Community Points: 141

View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: October 03, 2007, 07:17:09 am »

Teeheehee. I pop back in here just to see this. Heidi, I am glad to see you are almost as graceful as I am. I tore my ligament playing hockey. (Yes, ice.) And the whistle blew so I turned around to ask my coach a question and BAM! Hit another girl. Embarassing, seeing as how I feel down. Ew. I didn't save my cast either. I don't want to remember that. Tongue Haha. Wow. Bet you all thought I was gone forever, eh? Just when you thought you were safe. Wink I'm glad to see I was correct. Hahhh. Okay, more ORG exploring to do. I haven't been here in FOREVVVVER. Not nearly regularly enough, and not nearly posting enough. Oh, wait, this is Heidi's Soapbox??  Embarrassed My bad. Byeee!

Take my hand and drag me head first, fearless.
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 167
  Print  

Jump to: