GilmoreGirls.org Forum
November 29, 2021, 12:29:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Star  Are you new to the ORG Forum?  Perhaps you're a longtime member.  Either way, read the Forum rules to stay informed on proper etiquette.  Cheerio!  Star

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Was my recent dream about plasma screens an omen that my computer monitor would die?
No, don't be ridiculous! The two aren't even related. - 1 (2.6%)
Maybe, stranger things have happened. - 14 (36.8%)
Yes, now please have a dream about lottery numbers! - 15 (39.5%)
Heidi, quit making polls and go back to your liquid diet already. - 8 (21.1%)
Total Voters: 38

Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 167
  Print  
Author Topic: Heidi's Soapbox: News, Opinions, and Things You Never Wanted to Know  (Read 1035328 times)
Heidi
Administrator
Diner Chef

Community Points: 648

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2010 on: January 06, 2008, 10:17:09 pm »

My preference for a charitable cause would be something that we could track over time. 

I think that's a good point also.  It will be easier to sustain Org interest and participation if we can see updates of our progress.

When you say "track over time" do you mean something like if the org (its members) were to adopt a child? I have done that and you get to write letters to your child and they write to you. And the holidays are fun because you can give extra money for that month's donation so they can get something extra special for Christmas and their birthday. It's fun to see how the child has grown and what they're learning and doing because of your donation. The child would have a great big family here! Smiley So much love! Just a thought that came when I read your idea, Heidi!

Yes, sponsoring a child is definitely one option to consider.  I just searched Google for 'sponsor a child' and a bunch of sites popped up.  I'm doing a little research now ...

Update:  After doing some quick research, nothing in-depth, I found Children International to be a good candidate if we go the sponsorship route.  (Again, this is just one option for the ORG.  We're still in the brainstorming process.)  Anyway, I like Children International for a number of reasons ... their site is informative and answered most questions I had, sponsors can both e-mail and send physical mail to their child, you get a photo/information regarding your child, etc.  Additionally, Children International is non-religious.  The ORG Forum is comprised of awesome people from all walks of life and it's probably easiest if we go with a non-religious organization.

A couple of people mentioned that they'd sponsored children in the past.  What organizations did you use?

~Heidi

P.S. - I totally want to sponsor a child now.   Grin
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 11:27:25 pm by Heidi » Logged

Flame    Flame
Miranda
Town Selectman

Community Points: 775

Call me Mira

View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: January 07, 2008, 03:36:56 am »

Waw, that looks great! I really like the fact that it's a non-religious organisation, thanks for checking that out Heidi!

Thanks sis (Katinka a.k.a Snowy_Duerre)
honkifuluvGG
Pretty Town Spinster

Community Points: 1944

View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: January 07, 2008, 12:56:55 pm »

I agree Mira.  I think that sponsoring a child would be a great way to go.  It's the kind of thing where we can see progress on what we are achieving.  Thanks for looking into that Heidi.

So who else would be on board with sponsoring a child?  I don't want to let this conversation die down like it did last time.  Otherwise a year from now we'll find ourselves revisiting the topic from scratch all over again.

Does anybody have any other suggestions/charities which they are more passionate about that we as a community should consider?

Please read Forum Rules
QweenB
Pretty Town Spinster

Community Points: 568

RIP Phantom

View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: January 07, 2008, 01:32:18 pm »

Good Morning all!

I love the child sponsorship thing! I still have my little girl in Chile, she sent me a hand made Christmas card the other day Smiley I sponsor through World Vision and as far as communication goes, I can write to her whenever I want but only by paper mail. They send me Christmas and Birthday cards to fill in and send to her and I get letters from her family with a picture from her included. I get a photograph and update on her likes and dislikes annually. It currently costs AU$39.00 a month but its almost all tax deductible so I am thinking of getting another child in the near future.

I sponsored a young child so I could watch her progress and so that I could be part of her life right from the start.

Ok, things to do!

B xxx

Courtney Fan!
Got me a hand full of Barbie!
Shut ya gob!
Ditto!
Honourary South Af
Sooks
Inn Bellhop

Community Points: 1464

Life is Beautiful ~N. Sixx

View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: January 07, 2008, 04:34:46 pm »

I love that this coversation is still going!!

I did a little research and found these two sites as the best ones that I could tell.

Star SOS Villages SOS Villages is an organization that helps children and keeps them in families, those that are natural siblings are kept together. They build schools for children and allow others in the community use them as well. They looked like a pretty nice organization. They have a nice recording on the main page of their site that they tell you all about SOS.

Star Plan USA is another site that looked interesting and quite nice. It's $24/ month to sponsor a child.

What is child sponsorship?
Child sponsorship is the best way to help a child, family and community build a future free from poverty. Sponsorship connects you with one needy child in a developing country. That little boy or girl becomes your ambassador to a place and culture you might otherwise never know. Through letters, pictures and small gifts you’ll get to know your sponsored child and be a part of his or her life.

For only $24 a month — less than $1 a day, the cost of a soft drink — you can make it possible for your sponsored child and his or her family to benefit from our programs.

That can mean safe, clean water to drink for the first time, a school to go to, nutritious food and health care, and much, much more.

OK...there's one more that looked pretty good called Star World Vision

I'm also researching other ways we could make a donation to a charity and watch it's progress. There's many things like adopting a village or a school/ class or things like that.

I was also really interested in the microloan charity that B we talking about earlier. That sounded good too, but I don't know that people would be as interested as the sponsoring a child. It just seems there's more that would relate to or have a special place in their hearts for a child. Just my thought.

So, that's all I have for now! I won't let this discussion die! It's great to see interest! Thanks for getting it going again, B and for supporting it Heidi!

Please read the Forum Rules and enjoy~
~NO DAY BUT TODAY~
Lovefiend
Yale Alumnus

Community Points: 905

Shary's Stalkee, Lexie is my lil sis/ R.I.P BF

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2015 on: January 07, 2008, 05:07:22 pm »

The only problem I have with sponsoring a child, is that I've known lots of people who've worked with a few different organisations, and I used to do the 40 hr famine every year, and the people I knew working for them, said that I shouldn't bother. When I asked why, they said because anything that's through an organisation like that, most of the money goes to administration costs for the company, and that really disheartened me. I've known a few people working for World Vision and a few other  sponsorhsip organisations.

I'm not sure what else to suggest, I've given mine already!!

Microlending sounds really interesting. It's not something I've really heard about before, but it sounds more like my kinda thing- the money goes directly to the source, none of it wasted on middle men.
It's also like the saying 'give a man a fish, feed him for a day.....' I'd prefer to know I was helping people become self-sufficient, and giving them dignity.

~I wish I could touch you again, I wish I could still call you friend, I'd give, anything... ~

MiniPink
honkifuluvGG
Pretty Town Spinster

View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: January 07, 2008, 09:08:47 pm »

Yeah I know a few people who work for these companies also Kate, and sadly the reality is that it costs money to organise and rally people to help out these children.  Some companies are legit though and keep these costs to a minimum.  I think you just need to be careful and make sure you find out all the information available up front, and ask the right questions.  Regardless of whether it all goes there or not, it doesn't get there at all if you don't have a place to organise it.

Please read Forum Rules
Sooks
Inn Bellhop

View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: January 08, 2008, 04:06:15 pm »

I'm sure that the cost to run an organization is huge, and that no matter what they used the money for it, in the end, it's helping to help the children. I have to believe that. As Caryn said, even if it doesn't go to put food in the house for the child, the child still gets cared for where they might not. Not having the administration to keep the organization running, the kids wouldn't have a place to be at all. (Your wording was so much better, Caryn!)

Being that I myself, am working on opening my own at-risk youth organization/ shelter, have no doubt that I'm going to need people to help me. I can only think that I'll need grants and donations to help with the work that I'm wanting to do, but part of that work is paying for the staff the I employ to help the youth.

What's nice about adopting a child is that you can see and make a connection with someone. More than what you'd get if you made a one-time donation to an organization. That connection or bond that you make with the child, whether they realize it nor not, is worth giving to that cause! (at least to me) Two Cents

But, I'm up for anything! I'm still trying to think about what other donations we could make. But I really like what Heidi said about getting to make more than one donation over time and seeing the results in a progress report so-to-speak. Not that i'm all for getting something back for giving, but in this case, I really like it with a group of people donating in something like this. It will help to keep the motivation and energy/ excitement about the cause alive!! Grin

Are there charities or organizations that accept money to put someone through school? Or to help someone get the training they need do some sort of job? That way they can survive and/ or their family can survive? That might be a nice idea, and perhaps we get to find out when the individual graduated or got a job or something?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 04:10:12 pm by Sooks » Logged

~NO DAY BUT TODAY~
Heidi
Administrator
Diner Chef

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2018 on: January 08, 2008, 10:01:44 pm »

Hi gang,

We probably have two things to consider ...

1.  What charitable cause we're going to support
2.  How much we want to/can support

I think both questions are important to keep in mind when choosing.  For example, if we take the sponsoring a child route that would be about $25 per month (give or take).  Personally, I hope that we'll be able to raise enough to sponsor a child for at least a year (which comes to around $300). 

Time for a little math ...

If we assume the average participant donates $5, we'll need 60 people.
$10 each = 30 people
$20 each = 15 people
Etc., etc.

Anyway, just a little something to think about.

~Heidi

Flame    Flame
Lovefiend
Yale Alumnus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2019 on: January 10, 2008, 02:32:15 am »

So would you just take one lot of donations, or would you allow people to donate each month??
We could each donate, say $2 or whatever a month, which may work out better for people.  That way if someone only can give like 50C a month, they'd still be making a sizeable contribution over the year, wihtout having to cough it up at once.
I'm thinking of some of the younger members, especially, or others who don't have a large amount of income.  IT might be easier for them to give a smaller amount more frequently.
And of coures, this would leave it open for those members who want to and can afford to, to give a little more.

Just an idea Cheesy

~I wish I could touch you again, I wish I could still call you friend, I'd give, anything... ~

MiniPink
honkifuluvGG
Pretty Town Spinster

View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: January 10, 2008, 01:36:50 pm »

As I understand it Kate it would be a continuous drive for donations so that, as you mentioned, people can pay what they can afford without having to feel the pressure of meeting a certain dollar figure.  Heidi might like to confirm that though.

Please read Forum Rules
Heidi
Administrator
Diner Chef

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2021 on: January 10, 2008, 04:14:07 pm »

As I understand it Kate it would be a continuous drive for donations so that, as you mentioned, people can pay what they can afford without having to feel the pressure of meeting a certain dollar figure.  Heidi might like to confirm that though.

Ideally, to start with, I'd like to try and raise at least $200 for whatever we decide upon.  That money will be donated 'up front'.  From there, we can accept continuous donations.

Good? 

~Heidi

Flame    Flame
Fantasy
Diner Waitress

Community Points: 141

View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: January 10, 2008, 04:40:03 pm »

Hey, I would love to donate. However, I only have cash available..

For those who want to help others for free, go to this website: www.freerice.com
Just trust me on this. Smiley

Take my hand and drag me head first, fearless.
Sooks
Inn Bellhop

View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: January 10, 2008, 07:41:03 pm »

I like the idea of making one up front donation and then people could donate throughout the year if they wish to. I also agree, that the total of $200 - $300 is a reasonable goal. I think that we definitely want to stress that there's no pressure to donate. Some don't have much money and can't afford it and that's totally understandable. I think this is a great idea, guy!! I'm so excited about it!

I'll think about the two questions that you posed, Heidi and write more later. I think they are good questions and will help us focus/ narrow things down a bit.

I really hope that this motivation won't die! We need to keep rallying everyone together! What a great thing!

~NO DAY BUT TODAY~
Lovefiend
Yale Alumnus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2024 on: January 11, 2008, 06:44:46 am »

Sarah, that website absolutley rocks. I spent like 30 minutes there, I'm gonna go there as often as I can, thanks so much for letting me know Cheesy

MiniPink
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 167
  Print  

Jump to: