GilmoreGirls.org Forum
May 27, 2022, 12:06:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Snap  Heidi's Soapbox, now with a new poll! Vote, vote, vote!  Good times.  Best times!  Chomp

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Was my recent dream about plasma screens an omen that my computer monitor would die?
No, don't be ridiculous! The two aren't even related. - 1 (2.6%)
Maybe, stranger things have happened. - 14 (36.8%)
Yes, now please have a dream about lottery numbers! - 15 (39.5%)
Heidi, quit making polls and go back to your liquid diet already. - 8 (21.1%)
Total Voters: 38

Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 167
  Print  
Author Topic: Heidi's Soapbox: News, Opinions, and Things You Never Wanted to Know  (Read 1133649 times)
Sooks
Inn Bellhop

Community Points: 1464

Life is Beautiful ~N. Sixx

View Profile
« Reply #1980 on: January 01, 2008, 09:08:54 am »

I second that, Shell and I also second your statement, Mela about 2008 being a fresh start! Amen sistas!

Now, we need to go round up 3 people who haven't voted yet so we can find out this answer!! Common' people!!

Please read the Forum Rules and enjoy~
~NO DAY BUT TODAY~
Heidi
Administrator
Diner Chef

Community Points: 648

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1981 on: January 02, 2008, 12:09:40 am »

Hi gang,

Does anyone have resolutions for 2008?  I prefer to call them 'goals' because in my experience resolutions are things that people think about once and quickly forget.  Goals, on the other hand, require some kind of workplan, dedicated effort, and so on.  (In my humble opinion anyway.)

I'd love to hear what everyone has in mind for 2008.  Snap

~Heidi 

Flame    Flame
rorygilmoregirl93
Inn Manager

Community Points: 251

View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: January 02, 2008, 11:58:16 am »

Well....I'd like to get into all AP classes when I apply for classes for sophmore year.
I will also go with-losing 10 pounds, but I bet that will not stick Smiley

What are your goals Heidi?

QweenB
Pretty Town Spinster

Community Points: 568

RIP Phantom

View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: January 02, 2008, 02:05:55 pm »

Hey everyone,

I tend to have a 'Christmas Resolution' more so than a New Years resolution and today I completed my plan (or phase one anyway)

Last Christmas I felt I wanted to help someone else out at Christmas so I sponsored a child. 12 months later its going great, I got a Christmas card from her yesterday and decided that I wanted to work out another way to help. I was going to do the 'buy a goat for a village so they can have fresh milk' concept but I came across something different.

Its a concept called microlending. Basically, you lend a poverty stricken person $25.00 to invest into their business, something that will help them earn bigger profits. When the profits roll in they pay back the loan! So basically, you are investing a few measly dollars into helping someone achieve their goals and support their families. I came across a website called www.kiva.org and I am now the proud banker for two Samoan ladies to help them with their taro plantations Smiley

Heidi, about 12 months ago we discussed how the org could help out and we were talking about sponsorship but thats an ongoing commitment, with microlending you make an initial donation and when the loan is paid off you can invest it into another microloan! Its the donation that keeps on giving!!!

Thats enough spruiking from me!

Cheers

B xxx

Courtney Fan!
Got me a hand full of Barbie!
Shut ya gob!
Ditto!
Honourary South Af
Sooks
Inn Bellhop

View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: January 02, 2008, 05:29:02 pm »

B That's a wonderful idea! I'm going to go to that site as soon as I'm done posting this! What a great way to help someone and I'm sure, make a difference. As well, you're not just helping them immediately, but for the future as well. It's brilliant! I'd love to know more about the 'buy a goat for a village' too because that sounds like something that would benefit people, health wise, and that's never a bad thing! You've got a good heart, my friend!

We'd been doing donations the past few years for Christmas, in our immediate family. We just pick a place that we'd like to have the other person donate in our name. It's been a wonderful experience! It's spreading to the other parts of our family and friends too now. It's great! Not that we're saints but it's good to know that we're trying to do our little part in the world.

New Year's Goals:
Flame I think I'd like to try to be more patient and tolerable of those that surround me. I have some pretty noisy neighbors under me. They play their stereo and TV really quite loud, vibrating the floor and loud enough that I can hear that over my own at times. I've asked that someone talk to them but nothing has been done to my knowledge. I've thought about going down there a few times but then thought otherwise. I'd like to just be more patient and tolerable of the fact that I'm living in an apartment and that's what you deal with. As well, of people who are out in the world, whether it's a rude person at the store, or a "jerk" at a show, or whatever the case may be....to be more accepting of the situation and just let it roll off my shoulders and shrug it off.

Flame I'd also like to do more this year! Whatever it is that I want to do. I'm not going to hold back. I'm going to travel some, I'm going to get out and explore. I'm going to really start living my life! I'm at the age that I don't want to look back, just forward. I want to take life by the reigns and direct it! I don't want to miss out! I don't want to wish that I had done something that I didn't. No regrets! Each year I've said this or similar - so this year, I'm going to write the things I'd like to do down, then I'm going to put a date by them so I have something to set. I'm going to hold myself to that date and cross it off when it's accomplished. If I can't get to by the time I wanted, I'm going to assign a new date to it and keep it on the list. No matter the size of the "task" or goal that I want to accomplish. I need something to hold myself accountable for doing more! This hopefully, will be it!

I'm very eager to find out what others have to say! I like the word goals much better! Smiley We can always improve! And this way it seems more...attainable or something!

Hope everyone's first few days of the new year have been wonderful!!

~Mel xx
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 05:30:12 pm by Sooks » Logged

~NO DAY BUT TODAY~
QweenB
Pretty Town Spinster

RIP Phantom

View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: January 02, 2008, 05:47:43 pm »

Sooks thats cool that you are interested, I sent you an invite through your yahoo email address.

The 'buy a village a goat' I refer to is the smiles catelogue on the World Vision websites like below

http://www.worldvision.com.au/Smiles/GiftCatalogue/Default.aspx

Cheers

B xxx

Courtney Fan!
Shut ya gob!
Ditto!
Honourary South Af
Sooks
Inn Bellhop

View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: January 02, 2008, 06:06:07 pm »

Sweet! Thanks B!! Smiley

I think doing a 'giving' type project would be awesome with the org!

But when thinking of that, I was wondering how do you get funding to host the org, and now SamanthaWho.org too, Heidi? I mean, it's a free membership and we come to this amazing site, and you aren't hounded for donations or bothered by silly ads. It's great...but I feel like we should maybe do something for the site and Heidi, when looking at a 'project' type thing. I'm pretty sure, the thought may be negated by you (Heidi) but couldn't help but notice that small fact of us not being asked to pay a dime to use this awesome community! (And if I've missed something, by all means point me in the direction, I'm totally willing to pitch in!!!)

~NO DAY BUT TODAY~
QweenB
Pretty Town Spinster

RIP Phantom

View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: January 02, 2008, 06:21:48 pm »

The idea that was put forward about 12 months ago was with org members having the VOLUNTARY opportunity to forward a contribution to Heidi so that we could have an org run charity fund as such that didnt have to come out of Heidi's pocket. We didnt get as far as to how we send payments to Heidi but the idea was there Smiley

I think its just a great additional aspect to the org, that we are charitable and we could have a thread with updates or somesuch. I put the idea forward to Heidi that there was an area of the org that was only available to people who have submitted a donation but I look back at that and with so many young members who wouldnt be able to contribute it wouldnt really be fair.

Courtney Fan!
Shut ya gob!
Ditto!
Honourary South Af
Sooks
Inn Bellhop

View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: January 02, 2008, 06:28:02 pm »

Oh, and I completely and whole-heartedly understand and love that idea, B! I would be totally up for something like that! I would think that we could send voluntary payments to her trough some secure online method. I'm not sure. I would be totally up for that...any kind of charity would be great! I vaguely remember mention of this when I first became a member. I don't think many specifics were decided upon, like you said. I think there would be many who would be willing to participate. Details would be the hardest part probably. A wonderful idea, I think! But that's just me!

I was just more or less wondering about the funding of the site. Something that may totally be none of mine/ our business and I respect that. I was wondering if that might be something members may wish to donate to...more of a surprise or gift, though discussion of that might be better of done another way as I'm pretty sure Heidi can see everything, no matter what thread we post in! Wink

~NO DAY BUT TODAY~
QweenB
Pretty Town Spinster

RIP Phantom

View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: January 02, 2008, 06:49:15 pm »

Actually Sooks, if you look very very carefully there are a lot of unobtrusive 'ads by google' throughout the whole site (not just the forum section) and I believe that they would bring in some revenue. Personally I think Heidi deserves a full time wage with helpers like Drew put on a retainer Smiley

Courtney Fan!
Shut ya gob!
Ditto!
Honourary South Af
Sooks
Inn Bellhop

View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: January 02, 2008, 07:05:15 pm »

Actually Sooks, if you look very very carefully there are a lot of unobtrusive 'ads by google' throughout the whole site (not just the forum section) and I believe that they would bring in some revenue. Personally I think Heidi deserves a full time wage with helpers like Drew put on a retainer Smiley

I completely agree with ya!! I don't know how she does it?! But it's amazing!

I see the ads now!! Ahhh! Got it!

You know the cool thing about what you were explaining earlier, the microlending, would be that the project or business or organization that was started and worked on because of us, would be great to know that we helped with. It would be fun to keep up with how things are going for it. And it would be a fun accomplishment!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 07:10:28 pm by Sooks » Logged

~NO DAY BUT TODAY~
Lovefiend
Yale Alumnus

Community Points: 905

Shary's Stalkee, Lexie is my lil sis/ R.I.P BF

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1991 on: January 02, 2008, 08:20:54 pm »

I know that you're not supposed to talk about other forums on the forum you'r eon, but on Soulie Jolie, They sell bracelets (the little rubber ones you get engraved) with the money going to either the UN or the building of a schoool in Cambodia, depending which bracelet you get. The braccelets have quotes engraved, I t hink the UN one I have is 'Hearts Know No Borders', and the school one just says 'Building a Brighter Future' They also have big dontation runs every once in awhile. Including giving a big donations in Angelina's name to the UN on her birthday.
The site stays afloat by selling SoulieJolie merchandise.
So I don't know if you wanted to make more merchandise, or do anything like the bracelets. They're pretty cheap, I got about 50 of them made up for Helen's family when her Mum died.
Just a couple of ideas you don't have to like them, just letting you know what else is out there Smiley

~I wish I could touch you again, I wish I could still call you friend, I'd give, anything... ~

MiniPink
QweenB
Pretty Town Spinster

RIP Phantom

View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: January 02, 2008, 08:32:05 pm »

Yeh I think the bracelets are a really cool idea, they are cheap and you get something physical for your money, something you can wear which encourages people to question 'whats that? where did you get it?'
The only problem there is poor Heidi having to open her own post office, hehe!

Courtney Fan!
Shut ya gob!
Ditto!
Honourary South Af
Lovefiend
Yale Alumnus

Community Points: 905

Shary's Stalkee, Lexie is my lil sis/ R.I.P BF

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1993 on: January 02, 2008, 08:34:04 pm »

Well someone else can volunteer!! There's a small group of peeps on SJ who actually do it. Not the owner, she's too busy being the to Angelina Jolie what Heidi is to GG.

~I wish I could touch you again, I wish I could still call you friend, I'd give, anything... ~

MiniPink
honkifuluvGG
Pretty Town Spinster

Community Points: 1944

View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: January 03, 2008, 04:08:38 am »

Eye spy with my little eye...... 36 votes completed for Heidi's poll.  You're up Heidi!!!! Grin

(Can you tell I've just spent a whole heap of time with my kids in the car over the last two days?) Tongue

B: AS we had previously discussed, I love the idea of an Org supported charity.  And these new things you've mentioned would be great to investigate further if Heidi is still interested.  I know I would get on board.  Although I think I'd be more inclined to go for non-merchandise related methods.  Just seems less messy to me.

Please read Forum Rules
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 167
  Print  

Jump to: