GilmoreGirls.org Forum
July 01, 2022, 09:30:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Snap  Heidi's Soapbox, now with a new poll! Vote, vote, vote!  Good times.  Best times!  Chomp

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: 1.18 - The Third Lorelai  (Read 33071 times)
Stars-n-Moons
Stars Hollow High Student

Community Points: 14

Seven Super Seasons!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2006, 07:20:47 pm »

I wonder if Trix was the reason Richard became so adamant about Rory attending Yale.† I mean, up to that point, he didn't seem to have a problem with Harvard, or to be pushing the Yale legacy.
^Totally agree.

This is such a funny episode.† Emily has finally met her match.† It is so funny how Emily actually bends-over-backwards for Trix and the more she does for Trix, the nastier she is.† Richard doesn't see it at all and he just wants to make sure his mother is happy.

I agree with Emily on the trust fund issue.† Lorelai would be totally out of their lives.† That would have been the last Friday night dinner for her.† Rory on the other hand may have kept her grandparents in her life and continued comming to the Friday night dinners, but only for a while.† After time, ot would have worn off.† Rory and Loerlai would have grown further apart becasue, (what Emily says,) she would not finacially need Loerlai.† Money does change people.† I think that it all worked out for the best.

One of my all time favorite quotes comes from this episode when Rory and Loerlai are sitting at the dinner table for Friday night dinner:
GRANDMA: Alright Iím sorry. You were on the phone.
GRANDPA: Long distance.
LORELAI: God?
GRANDPA: London.
LORELAI: God lives in London?
GRANDPA: My mother lives in London.
LORELAI: Your mother is God?
GRANDPA: Lorelai.
LORELAI: So, God is a woman...
GRANDPA: Lorelai.
GRANDPA: And a relative, thatís so cool. Iím gonna totally ask for favors.

I love it!

[color=FF0071]If it had to end, I am at least glad it ended with people wanting more... help keep the memories alive![/color]
Aimmers514
Town Resident

Community Points: 12

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2006, 01:17:01 pm »

I enjoyed seeing another side of Emily.  I really think that we saw a side of Emily that she didnt want to lose her daughter and granddaughter again.  The obligatory Friday Night Dinners arent just a condition to money for Rory's school but a chance for her to get to know her daughter and granddaughter more.  I think that comes out very obviously in this episode!

Imy
Pretty Town Spinster

Community Points: 411

I'm the Literati geek!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2007, 01:06:30 pm »

The London God thing was hilarious!!!

But am I the only one who totally found it creepy that Richard had a pet name for his MOTHER!?

Imogen~Literati~M.M.M~Java Junkie~Foodie

I'm the Old school music gal! lol Jim!
Do you have a Crazy Corner Emily?! lol
LoveMe011
Chilton Graduate

Community Points: 104

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2007, 01:30:56 pm »

One of the things i enjoyed most about this episode was seeing emily squirm. i know that may be a little vindictive and immature, but she always has her nose in the air and just KNOWS she has the upper hand in just about every situation where lorelai and rory are concerned. it's kind of nice to see someone who can put emily on edge the same way she puts those around her on edge. of course we see from watching the rest of the show that this teaches emily no lesson, because she doesn't change a bit. this is why i was disappointed when richard's mother died later on in the show. =/

[Cassy]
-Literati.
-Java Junkie.

Rory:I love you, mom.
Lorelai:Aw...kid, you have no idea.
StarsHalllowLass
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 5

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2007, 09:03:16 pm »

Loved this episode. The torturing of Emily was fun to watch. The many times she would drive Lorelai crazy it's nice for her to get some of it back. I think if Rory would have gotten the money† she would have still gone to the grandparents every Friday. She made a deal even if she had the money to pay back the loan for Chilton. Lorelai would be right there at Friday dinners because that where Rory would be.

I kinda like Gran. That old Victorian act is pretty funny... Now curtsey Wink Smiley
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 09:05:14 pm by StarsHalllowLass » Logged

Stars Hallow Lass
Lucie
Inn Owner

Community Points: 947

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2007, 02:48:10 pm »

Hat Rack & Other Gifts: It's so hard to believe that Emily would give Lorelai a 'used' gift. Watching Rory and Lorelai carry in that huge hat rack was hilarious though. Watching Emily flip out about putting all the gifts in the right spots was also rather amusing. Especially seeing as Trix knew all along that the gifts didn't stay out all year long.

Money Money Money: I think that if Rory would have given the money, they would still go to Friday night dinners. Lorelai may not want to, but I think Rory would. Rory has a relationship with her grandparents now, and I don't think she would just stop going to dinners. And if Rory goes, I totally think Lorelai would go. The effects the money would have on Rory are completely different than the effects they would have had on Lorelai, had she gotten the money at that age. Lorelai's relationship with her parents is so completely different than Rory and Lorelai's relationship. I don't see Rory just moving out or going to Europe without Lorelai.

Matchmaker Matchmaker, Make Me a Match: So Rory tries to kill two birds with one stone. Find a non-slutty girl for Tristan, and make Paris happy. Well, that backfired. I couldn't believe Paris left five messages for Tristan, that's overdoing it just a bit. Could you imagine if that relationship had worked out? I think that would have been interesting. Then when Tristan tried to explain himself to Rory I started thinking...Is he just telling her he likes somebody else to get her off his back, I mean I know he likes Rory, but he seemed fine with being with Summer, even though he liked her then, and now when it comes to Paris it's "I like someone else" (or something along those lines) Also he was probably more into Summer than Paris. Or is he staying away from girls now, because Rory is no longer with Dean, so he thinks he has a chance.

Well those are my thoughts...for now.

I'm Shelby Cheesy
ILY Zija + Mel + Amber + Spencer + Maggie!

bingbong
Town Selectman

Community Points: 1271

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2007, 04:15:32 pm »

I agree with Shelby, that Rory would not have gone crazy with her inheritance and left Lorelai in the lurch or ditched her grandparents either. She enjoys hanging with Richard, and she and Lorelai are bonded tight. Deep down, Lorelai must have known this but she allowed Emily to play on her insecurities. Emily was acting out of her own fears, the thought of losing L & R, and not understanding Rory's decent nature, and it was petty the way she chose to screw with Lorelai's mind rather than discuss it with her directly like a mature adult. Lorelai knew what Emily was doing but still fell victim to it.

The first time i saw this episode i thought it was sweet kharma watching Emily get nit-picked by Gran, the way Emily nit-picks Lorelai. But what stands out now is the way Lorelai herself does not jab the needle further into Emily. There is a sense that Lorelai under the surface gets a kick out of watching Gran torture Emily, but the bottom line is that she assists Emily and feels sympathy for her. That says a lot about Lorelai. It also says something about Emily that she can't see the connection between Gran nagging her and her own nagging of Lorelai.

I've always wished we got to see Emily's own mother. It's one thing to see her deal with her mother-in-law but it might have told us more about Emily to see her own mother in action.

It's sad that Richard is oblivious to the way his mother treats his wife. He's often oblivious to Lorelai as well, so maybe it's just the way he is.

As for Gran herself, she is a hoot, a character out of a Jane Austen novel with her Victorian manners. We never got to see her husband but it's safe to guess that she is the one who wore the pants in the family. I wonder if she nit-picked him to an early grave. Smiley

Signature courtesy of SKFTEX
laurla205
Gilmore Maid

Community Points: 384

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2007, 04:23:43 pm »

I agree with both of you, I donít think Rory would have left the house or the life she and Lorelai shared had she been given the money.† Lorelai would have (leaving E&R I mean) but not Rory.†

I have to say, Trix had a point at the end referring to Lorelai and Emilyís maturity levels.† They both acted like children in this episode with regards to the trust fund.† The second it came out of Trixís mouth you could just see the weíre-going-to-lose-them-wheels in Emilyís head turning.† And Lorelai knows better (as she admitted) then to fall victim to Emilyís manipulations.† I can understand where both of them were coming from.† And I always think Lorelai has a right to confront Emily, itís the way she goes about it that is less than adult.† I do like their resolution at the end of tea (rather the interrupted tea).† Emilyís apology (the second time) was almost sincere.†

I honestly donít know how Lorelai would make the situation worse between Trix and Emily even if she wanted to, Trix does a fine job of that herself.† It was a bit redeeming to watch Emily be treated as she treats Lorelai.† Trix is a master at it though, in comparison Emilyís still learning Cheesy
bingbong
Town Selectman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2007, 07:43:49 pm »

I agree that Lorelai and Emily were both acting childish at the tea with Gran, but Lorelai's main fault was in allowing herself to be dragged down to Emily's level. When Gran first told her of the inheritance she was all jazzed about it until Emily got inside her head and then it was down-down-down from there. But for all that, they didn't act soooo badly in front of Gran, not by any normal standards. Most of their bickering was while Gran stepped away. But apparently it doesn't take much for Gran to bring the hammer down, especially during "high tea". Do people really go to "high tea" in the U.S.?

Richard says that Rory has a lot of Gran in her. I do not get that at all!! Possibly outside of intelligence, what similarity does Richard see between them? Or was he trying to throw a simultaneous compliment at both of them?

They still show reruns of "Happy Days" and on the occasion i come across one it makes me smile to see Marion Ross acting as a middle-class American wife. Not an ounce of Gran/Trix in that character.

laurla205
Gilmore Maid

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2007, 05:40:23 am »

Thereís a saying that Iím particularly fond of.† You canít control other peopleís actions, but you can control how you react to them.† Lorelai knew Emily was trying to get into her head, she could have brushed it off.† She is good at the from time to time.† Iím not saying Emily was justified in any way, just the Lorelai knew better and it didnít have to get to the point that it did.† I donít think their bickering called for Trixís reaction but it just solidifies her character.†

I did go to tea once, the posh hotels around here have it on the weekends.† I donít think anyone does on a regular basis.† But itís fun to do once in a while Cheesy

I think Richard was referring to Rory and Trixís intelligence as well as their determination.† Personality wise Ė not one bit.† But Richard isnít the type of person to comment on a personality.† And thatís not the type of compliment Trix would take either, it was their strength he was referring to.† I think.†
bingbong
Town Selectman

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2007, 04:18:21 pm »

I am also a believer of that saying, that people can (hopefully) control how they react to other peopleís actions (or words). But the ability to control the reaction depends on what is being said and who is saying it. Lorelaiís whole life, much of her identity, revolves around Rory. Even as Lorelai has been successful in her career, much of it is about providing for Rory. For Emily to make those comments was touching a deep, sharp nerve for Lorelai. I think if someone other than Emily had made those comments - Michel, for example - Lorelai would have given pause but would have handled it better. Emily of course knew all this and thatís what makes it all the more petty.†

So Laura has gone to tea? But was it ďhigh teaĒ? Is there a medium or low tea? Because anything less than high will not cut it for Gran.† Smiley

Kaish15
Town Resident

Community Points: 21

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2007, 09:25:36 pm »

I wonder what ever happened to all the money when Trix died? Seems like it just dissapered. I would think that she would leave some to Richard and Lorelai.

Second, more of an opinion question, but would Rory getting 250K affect the aftermath of her deciding to drop out of Yale? Having the 250K would have made her more independent, as well as having a good relationship with Logan, Emily and Richard. Although I do not think it would have been a good life I am sure she could have had a decent life with the money and supporters. There is a chance that Emily could have gotten her a high ranked job, simply for being a Gilmore. That being said I do think that she would have gone back to Lorelai since she adores her mom, but had she had the extra money I think she would have held out longer. I'm real glad that Rory didn't take the money...I mean, didn't have the choice to take it.

laurla205
Gilmore Maid

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2007, 05:40:50 am »

I am also a believer of that saying, that people can (hopefully) control how they react to other peopleís actions (or words). But the ability to control the reaction depends on what is being said and who is saying it. Lorelaiís whole life, much of her identity, revolves around Rory. Even as Lorelai has been successful in her career, much of it is about providing for Rory. For Emily to make those comments was touching a deep, sharp nerve for Lorelai. I think if someone other than Emily had made those comments - Michel, for example - Lorelai would have given pause but would have handled it better. Emily of course knew all this and thatís what makes it all the more petty.†

So Laura has gone to tea? But was it ďhigh teaĒ? Is there a medium or low tea? Because anything less than high will not cut it for Gran.† Smiley

Emily does have a way of getting to her regardless of the situation.† Which is why Lorelaiís reaction is not surprising.† And she does eventually get better at controlling her reactions to her.† Itís sad (and a little twisted) that Emily almost seemed to enjoy making Lorelai crazy over it.†

I must admit that Iím not quite sure of the difference between high tea and regular tea.† Much less medium or low Cheesy† Trix would not approve.†
bingbong
Town Selectman

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2007, 08:17:03 am »

I must admit that Iím not quite sure of the difference between high tea and regular tea.† Much less medium or low Cheesy† Trix would not approve.†

I googled "high tea" and this is partly what i found as an explanation, all part of British culture:

High Tea (also known as Meat Tea) is an early evening meal, typically eaten between 5 and 6 o'clock in the evening. It would be eaten as a substitute for both afternoon tea and the evening meal. The term comes from the meal being eaten at the Ďhighí (main) table, instead of the smaller lounge table. It is now largely replaced by a later evening meal.

It would usually consist of cold meats, eggs and/or fish, cakes and sandwiches. In a family, it tends to be less formal and is an informal snack (featuring sandwiches, biscuits, pastry, fruit and the like) or else it is the main evening meal.

First of all, the expression "meat tea" sounds disgusting. But i had no idea it referred to a full meal and the type of table. ("Afternoon tea" was described as a lighter meal eaten around 4pm). Regarding the table at the restaurant, i'm surprised Gran didn't take issue with it. It looked more like what i'd call a breakfast nook table or just a plain old restaurant table and not worthy of being a "high tea" table. Dang, this is all so complicated! It's so much simpler for Americans. When i want tea (not often) i slurp it down like an animal out of a big mug and chase it with Ritz crackers. That's not high tea but i call it high livin'.† Smiley

lessa
Diner Chef

Community Points: 286

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2007, 12:40:53 am »

Heh, when you put it that way, it's hard to get romantic about it. Cheesy I remember Lewis Carroll had an obsession with teatime, so I'm there.

And of course Lorelai reacted to the idea that Rory would go indie with 250,000, she was just as afraid of it as Emily was. But they weren't in danger, old money like Trix wouldn't just hand a quarter mil to a sixteen year old, even on her son's recommendation. How on earth did I miss on the first viewing that the whole offer was just another one of Trix's tactics to make Emily crazy?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 12:42:17 am by lessa » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: