GilmoreGirls.org Forum
October 22, 2021, 02:44:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Star  We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's best Gilmore Girls forum. The ORG Forum will be just that. Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster.  Star 

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: 1.15 - Christopher Returns  (Read 51563 times)
lessa
Diner Chef

Community Points: 286

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2007, 01:35:45 pm »

Yeah, I didn't think of the "Chris is 16 again, too" thing. But I liked the clear contrast between Strobe's and Emily's approach to Rory. She seemed a little conflicted and awkward about it when she was reviewing Lorelai's picture album, but nothing like Strobe's depraved indifference to his granddaughter's feelings. It's like he's some character out of Johnny Tremain, still in denial about his illegitimate heirs for fear of their effect on his estate.

In a way, it puts Richard's remarks into perspective. Lorelai's always on about how he never expresses his feelings to her, but he was hiding it because he was enraged. Next to the Haydens, the Gilmores seem positively nurturing, but she still ran away, just as Christopher ran away from the Haydens, and all that implies. Hell, they could have blamed Christopher as Strobe blamed Lorelai, except he clearly has no will of his own when compared to their reckless, headstrong daughter.

It was sad the way he attacked Lorelai, but he had to tell her how he felt before he could get over it. At least he clearly demonstrates where she learned she had to take Rory to every Christmas and Easter dinner all those years. She's done plenty for her family because that's just what you do. Maybe if Christopher had done the same for his parents, (marriage or no,) they wouldn't have behaved as though a moment hadn't passed since he was sixteen.

bingbong
Town Selectman

Community Points: 1271

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2007, 03:01:40 pm »

Christopher's father came across as a parent who is in complete denial about his own child, who will always say "not my son, he's too good, it's all on her" and point to the Harlot for corrupting his heir. For him to blame Christopher would by implication point to his own failure as a parent, and that's not something he would ever admit. 

I feel a moment of sympathy for Richard when he describes, in his mind, Lorelai's wasted talent, the way she was the smartest in the class, etc. For that moment he comes across as a parent who is thinking about Lorelai the person and not simply the honor of the Gilmore name.

Signature courtesy of SKFTEX
lessa
Diner Chef

Community Points: 286

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2007, 04:54:09 pm »

Heh, it also reminded me of the way Lorelai blasted critical Emily out of the house before telling Rory what she really thought of her staying out all night.

monsoon
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 4

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2007, 03:23:25 am »

This has got to be my most favourite episode of Season 1.  It has everything - great  dramatic moments, funny lines...everything.

But the main observation for this post:

Did  anybody notice the shot of  Lorelai and Christopher at the end of the nasty argument at Richard&Emily's? They stood next to each other in the living room, under the portrait of Richard, Emily and Lorelai. It looked like Lorelai was holding Christopher's arm just the way Emily holds Richard's in the portrait. It seemed intentionally done by the director.  (If you watch the scene carefully, at one point during the argument, Lorelai gets up and goes and stands next to Chris - she wasn't already there).  Some sort of symbolism?

Does anybody else think so? I am sure I am not the first one to comment on this.

-Varsha

gg crazy
Diner Chef

:)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2008, 05:07:37 pm »

Lorelai & Chris r SO RIGHT! Kiss Smitten Hearts

I liked seeing chris for the first time! from the moment i saw them together i new they were perfect!!!!!!!! and him asking 4 her hand i wish she said yes!!!!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 05:18:01 pm by gg crazy » Logged

thevoid99
Diner Regular

Community Points: 19

Shame on our dirty little hearts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2008, 03:37:16 pm »

Lorelai & Chris r SO RIGHT! Kiss Smitten Hearts

Oh f*ck off!

Christopher is an immature person who says he's doing great but hides the truth from both Lorelai and Rory about his job.  Isn't mature enough to even take care of Rory or to be her father.  Still has this teenage fantasy for Lorelai and is not ready to be her husband.  He means well but he's not capable enough to be a husband for Lorelai or a full-time dad for Rory.  Especially since Lorelai expects so much from him as Rory's father yet he often disappoints her.  She opens the door for him to be her father but he often would have an excuse for not being around for those years. 

The indifference of the Haydens' towards Rory was sad and I was hoping for Richard to kick Straub's ass.  Yet, I understood why Richard was angry at Lorelai.  She had everything but she threw it away by leaving her parents like that.  He was forced to tell colleagues and such and be humilated like that.  Those wounds will take a long time to heal, which seems to at the end of Virtual Season 8 where Lorelai definitely enjoys her parents' company these days.  It was great of Emily to show how much she cared for Rory, especially at the potential Rory has in her school life and in her ambition.

Lorelai and Christopher... ew!

Poor Luke.  For all that time he's been pining for Lorelai.  Being stood up like that sucked.  Yet, the person she was with would be the man Luke, unwittlingly had to compete with. 
gg crazy
Diner Chef

:)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2008, 06:26:58 pm »

Omg, I don't think u curse at me. it's frowed upon.

Heidi
Administrator
Diner Chef

Community Points: 648

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2008, 07:09:39 pm »

Omg, I don't think u curse at me. it's frowed upon.

True that.  Cursing is indeed frowned upon.  Even so, thevoid99 did at least use an asterisk to 'bleep' it out.

This is just a friendly reminder for everyone to 'be cool'.  Chill.  The ORG is meant to be good times for all.

~Heidi

Flame    Flame
~*SailorMoonFan*~
Town Resident

Community Points: 14

We are not what you think we are, we are golden!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2008, 04:03:24 pm »

The indifference of the Haydens' towards Rory was sad and I was hoping for Richard to kick Straub's ass.  Yet, I understood why Richard was angry at Lorelai. 

lol, yes, i kept hoping for the same thing. it's so sad the hayden's hate rory so much. she is not an evil girl and honestly, christopher would've gotten sidetracked and wouldn't have gone to princeton or wherever it was he was supposed to go regardless of whether rory was ever born or not, so  Tongue to straub blaming lorelai for ruining chris's life. wasn't her fault. he was eventually gonna ruin it anyway.

Narco:Because I love you, you idiot!

~This one's for the girls~
Milk Keg
Town Troubadour

Community Points: 6

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2008, 05:53:01 am »

I really liked this episode because it alluded to a lot of the stuff that Lorelai and Emily were arguing about in the pilot, about why Lorelai refused to marry Christopher and what kind of a fulfilling life she has with Rory now as opposed to how things would've been if they had "followed procedure."
forfun
Town Troubadour

Community Points: 1

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2009, 01:10:57 am »

is there anybody like the gilmore girls show?

Gilmore Girls Seasons 1-7 DVD Box Set

dvdsetshop

Gilmore Gyrlie
Town Resident

Community Points: 7

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2009, 06:13:38 pm »

really  wished Lorelai hadn't done the naked pretzel with Christopher, poooooooooor Luke.

She really hurt him, but did make up for it in the end.

Me thinks that was "Mama Pertrelli" from Heroes, who played  Christopher's mother.

Glad Lorelai turned him down, dude is still quite immature.
iatmyhome
Town Troubadour

Community Points: -5

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2009, 07:16:12 pm »

I was  a big fan of Christopher
Gilmore Gyrlie
Town Resident

Community Points: 7

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2009, 11:08:05 am »

I was  a big fan of Christopher

I found Chris to be an immature T00L at times.
~*SailorMoonFan*~
Town Resident

Community Points: 14

We are not what you think we are, we are golden!

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2009, 03:15:27 pm »

Me thinks that was "Mama Pertrelli" from Heroes, who played  Christopher's mother.

Yes it is.  Grin Cristine Rose, aka Angela Petrelli, also played Chris's mom.

Narco:Because I love you, you idiot!

~This one's for the girls~
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: