GilmoreGirls.org Forum
May 16, 2022, 03:49:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Star  Are you new to the ORG Forum?  Perhaps you're a longtime member.  Either way, read the Forum rules to stay informed on proper etiquette.  Cheerio!  Star

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
  Print  
Author Topic: 3.13 - Dear Emily and Richard  (Read 97304 times)
Dani257
Pretty Town Spinster

Community Points: 242

I post. Deal with it.

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 21, 2007, 05:48:55 pm »

Where is anyone asking for Emily to have been shown as an insane freak?  Or for Lorelai to be always right?  This episode was supposed to show us how life really was for Lorelai when she was a teen.  And, going by this episode, Lorelai didn't have a blessed thing to complain about.  Emily was a model a mother as you could hope for.  Even the portrait thing, Emily wasn't at all wrong or inconsiderate, based on the information she had.  And, Lorelai has frequently pointed to Emily as one of her biggest problems growing up.  Not just disliking that life. A dislike of the life does not lead you tell your daughter that she doesn't understand what it's like until she's hiding in her room, eating her hair (Rory's Birthday Parties)  But, there was nothing to suggest that Lorelai should have had a problem with Emily back then.  For what?  For defending her to Christopher's parents?  And, I'm not saying that we shouldn't have seen that -but we should have also seen times when she wasn't so nice.  We should have seen why Lorelai felt the way she did about her family, and we didn't.  And, we should have seen it, because this was the only completely unbiased account of her life back then.  Anything we heard from the characters in the present day was biased. Because human beings bring their own interpretations and memories of events and no two people see things the same way. 

And, I don't believe Lorelai's running away was youthful rebellion.  I'm sure Lorelai was rebellious.  She snuck out of the house, got kicked out of summer camp, and probably other incidents that were referenced throughout the series that I can't recall.   But, Lorelai has always described running away as something she felt she had to do - even when understanding how that act truly hurt her parents.  I don't know how you can write a sympathetic character who holds on to a simple act of youthful rebellion for 16 years until she needs something from her parents (money for Chilton).  That goes beyond just showing Lorelai isn't always right.  It shows her as either completely selfish and inconsiderate, or someone so spoiled that the first time Emily looked at her sideways, she hightailed it out of there and held a grudge for years.  I don't think Lorelai was 100% right when she ran away, but I think it was much more complicated than a teenager rebelling.

A bit leaner, but still chock full of demonic glory.  (Still pro Logan)
100% supportive of Alexis Bledel

http://www.associatedcontent.com/user/8624/angela_tircuit.html
starshells
Town Troubadour

Community Points: 7

I'm Glad He Didn't Smoke It

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 02, 2008, 12:13:13 pm »

This is one of my favorites!

Sherry: I wrote it down! I WROTE IT DOWN!

-

Young Lorelei: Here Here!
Young Christopher: Vodka, Scotch or Whisky?
Young Lorelai: Here Here!
-
Young Christopher: She's pretty
Young Lorelai: She's perfect

^ sig by gilmorefriend
<33 Literati Fan~ Java Junkies Forever! <33
gg crazy
Diner Chef

Community Points: 4

:)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: July 17, 2008, 06:59:11 pm »

i love this episode it was cool 2 c the flash backs from lorelai having rory! Smiley

tennischic
Diner Chef

Community Points: 47

No one can make u feel inferior without ur consent

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 17, 2008, 08:30:52 pm »

i love this episode it was cool 2 c the flash backs from lorelai having rory! Smiley

Same here!

~ playin till dawn ~
*Berkley*

thevoid99
Diner Regular

Community Points: 19

Shame on our dirty little hearts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: August 06, 2008, 06:35:22 pm »

The people I feel very sorry for are Chris and Gigi. 

The way Sherry was during her labor was strange.  She seems more concerned about her work rather than the baby and how she was trying to sit in order to stop the baby was coming.  Jeez.

I liked those flashbacks but... Christopher was an ugly boy.  Yet, his father is awful and Emily looked like she wanted to kick him in the nuts!!!  I like what Richard offered.  As much as he hated Chris for what he did, he at least made an offer to care for the boy. 

Boy... Luke went on a date with Nicole and I don't like her.  Her dad won't go for her.  He'd probably have a great time with Lorelai. 
Corey_Gilmore
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 2

Watch out for that spork!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: August 22, 2008, 04:35:54 am »

When Lorelai arrives at the hospital, Sherry is squatting and running on the spot so that the baby comes quicker but Chris isn't there yet so what's the rush? Why not just let nature take its course and give Christopher little more time to get there?

If you're out on the road
Feeling lonely, and so cold
All you have to do is call my name
And I'll be there on the next train

Where you lead, I will follow
Anywhere that you tell me to
If you need, you need me to be with you
I will follow where you lead
tennischic
Diner Chef

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 22, 2008, 05:41:46 am »

Sherry didnt want the baby - obvious by her choices later - so i think she really just felt that baby was a burden and wanted it gone and out of her. It wasnt that she didnt love Chris but the fact that she didnt love the baby at the moment.  Undecided

~ playin till dawn ~
*Berkley*

thevoid99
Diner Regular

Community Points: 19

Shame on our dirty little hearts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: August 22, 2008, 02:05:08 pm »

Sherry didnt want the baby - obvious by her choices later - so i think she really just felt that baby was a burden and wanted it gone and out of her. It wasnt that she didnt love Chris but the fact that she didnt love the baby at the moment.  Undecided

What a phony b*tch!!!
tennischic
Diner Chef

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 24, 2008, 10:24:46 am »

Agreed.
Sherry = Ruler of all Bitchiness

~ playin till dawn ~
*Berkley*

gg crazy
Diner Chef

Community Points: 4

:)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: August 24, 2008, 06:17:06 pm »

Yeah, sherry is a bitch! Angry

tennischic
Diner Chef

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 25, 2008, 04:35:23 pm »

Haha word  Cheesy ( compliments of my friend Courtney )

~ playin till dawn ~
*Berkley*

dianakarenina
Stars Hollow Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 27, 2008, 10:16:29 am »

hey, was i the only one who saw the lack of blue eyes in young lorelai??

i mean, when she and chris are on the stairs the light or something makes them look blue.. but throughout the whole episode her eyes are brown.. and she's said that they're natural and i don't believe that eyes change color as we grow up Weary
Corey_Gilmore
Stars Hollow Tourist

Watch out for that spork!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: August 28, 2008, 04:34:59 am »

hey, was i the only one who saw the lack of blue eyes in young lorelai??

i mean, when she and chris are on the stairs the light or something makes them look blue.. but throughout the whole episode her eyes are brown.. and she's said that they're natural and i don't believe that eyes change color as we grow up Weary

In some (but not all) of the shots from the DVD version (most notably the one with her and Chistopher on the stairs while their parents are arguing) the eyes have been colorized to blue. This might arguably be blamed on the washout tone used for the flashbacks.

If you're out on the road
Feeling lonely, and so cold
All you have to do is call my name
And I'll be there on the next train

Where you lead, I will follow
Anywhere that you tell me to
If you need, you need me to be with you
I will follow where you lead
tennischic
Diner Chef

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 30, 2008, 10:05:26 am »

Yes ive notice this to and in promotional pics she has blue eyes to like Rory also so im guessing colored contacts.

~ playin till dawn ~
*Berkley*

Sooks
Inn Bellhop

Community Points: 1464

Life is Beautiful ~N. Sixx

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 23, 2008, 02:13:59 pm »

I like this episode because it focuses so much on the story behind who Lorelai is and how she got her beautiful daughter, Rory. It shows what she was like as a teen ager, her thought process at that time, and yes, she was witty then too. I like that this episode takes the time to look at how Emily and Richard were as parents back then. The fact that Emily stands up to Francine and tells her to choose her words very carefully when referring to her daughter, Lorelai shows concern and strength for family. Something that I think Emily and Richard valued more than what Lorelai sometimes gave them credit for. I think Emily and Richard cared very much for, and still do, Lorelai and her well being. I don't know that they always knew how to show it, and that might be what Lorelai missed or didn't understand.

Sometimes, I think that what teens go through while they're figuring out who they are and what they want to do with their lives, clouds their vision of their parents and I wonder how much of that vision isn't still with Lorelai today? I'm not saying that Emily and Richard haven't done or said things that hurt and upset Lorelai. For those times, I completely understand where Lorelai is coming from. I came to appreciate their relationship a lot more during this viewing of the episode.

I like how Emily was concerned that Lorelai was going off to be with some woman that Christopher had a baby with. And then wondered why Rory was there. Though she will have a half sister, it's not the same and doesn't really make sense that she's there. But, it shows that Rory is mature in some ways, well beyond her years. To understand that Sherry needed someone and was there for her, speaks volumes. Especially, since she knew that Christopher wasn't there for her mom when giving birth. Understanding? Or maybe just naive? Either way - her experience while being with Sherry probably opened her eyes to some things she may not have otherwise been exposed to. Rory's always evolving and growing.

I liked the flashbacks and how they were placed within the episode. While I'd love see more episodes with these flashbacks in them, to get a feel for what it was like growing up in the Gilmore house, there was a perfect amount of them in this episode. I love the part where Lorelai comes in and doesn't notice her parents so she starts dropping her sweater on the floor and leaving it there to see if they'll come out of hiding. She may have been a rebel but I don't know that it was as big a one as she portrays to people.

This episode's ending is one of my favorite. I love that Lorelai brings Emily a DVD player and not only brings it but says she'll hook it up and thinks it's nonsense to have someone come and be paid to hook it up. I love the singing on the stairs, Emily even smiles. And the fading out and away from the family portrait is just perfect.

All in all, a good episode from a storyline point. I liked the focus it had on the family - all generations. When I initially saw this episode, I really liked the flash backs but that's really all I saw it for, this time watching it through I caught a lot more and made a lot more connections. (A big reason why I love the Viewing Party idea!!)

Please read the Forum Rules and enjoy~
~NO DAY BUT TODAY~
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
  Print  

Jump to: