Author Topic: 3.13 - Dear Emily and Richard  (Read 98193 times)

Offline gilmoregfan

• Town Resident
  • Community Points: 10
  • get your hand off my stomach..but you put it there
    • View Profile
    • role playing myspace
Re: 3.13 - Dear Emily and Richard
« Reply #75 on: January 21, 2007, 09:27:26 am »
i love thsi ep soo much... if you have the 3rd season on DVD go to extras for those are strings ponicho(rory's graduation) look at the deleted scenes and the second deleted scene is lorelai and rory walking around  the independence inn when they were closed and it shows a young lorelai (chelsea brummet) and a young rory (10 or 11) and they were talking about stuff and it was really cool. check it out!!!

LoReLaI -N- RoRy. BeSt FrIeNdS 1st MoThEr DaUgHtEr 2nd
MaKiNg MotHeR DaUgHtEr RaLetIoNsHiPs CoOl SiNcE 2OOO!!!!
thanks trish for resizing the sig!

Offline AussieGGFan

• Town Resident
  • Community Points: 22
  • Aussie Gal
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 25, 2007, 02:38:12 pm »
I really cried during this episode. I actually bawled. I was only a couple of years older than Lorelai when i fell pregnant with my first girl,and it was a lot the same. My mother pushed me into marrying,and thats why im so glad she didnt marry Chris then and there.
I saw one of the later eps with Strobe and Francine in it,and Francine was still an emotional wreck. I wouldnt like to have them for my parents.
I really loved the way that Lorelai was there for Sherry though,even though it was hard for her to do.
Suzi xox

Java Junkie :) Keep the F.A.I.T.H

Offline memorexia

• Stars Hollow Tourist
  • Community Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 18, 2007, 11:08:24 am »
What is the song that plays while Lorelai puts on her headphones in the waiting room?

Offline Nov78

• Town Resident
  • Community Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 20, 2007, 07:14:06 pm »
What is the song that plays while Lorelai puts on her headphones in the waiting room?

I believe it's 99 Luftballons by Nena.

soxgrrl33

« Reply #79 on: March 17, 2007, 05:33:15 pm »
i loved seeing lorelai as a teenager. this was a really sad episode though, especially when you saw emily reading the note from lorelai. In the last flashback, where all 4 parents are discussing the future, and richard is very quiet, you really see just how distraught he was about the situation. He was very stoic though. i also loved seeing emily as bossy as ever.

Offline xAlisonx

• Stars Hollow High Student
  • Community Points: 25
  • Hug-a-World would like to see the world...<3
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 10, 2007, 07:27:56 am »
I couldn't figure out where I recognised Chelsea Brummet from, but she was Kelly in Drake and Josh. The one with the super-annoying laugh.

I love the flashbacks. They help you to relate to the charactors better and understand them easier if you know their past. And we did know...but it was cool to see it like this. =]

Literati <3
Java Junkie <3
Bandmate <3
Foodie <3

Offline Gilmore_Lover

• Chilton Graduate
  • Community Points: 77
  • *Jenny*
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 10, 2007, 07:54:39 pm »
hahahahh conradv!
First of all: My favorite episode of all time.
Second that pic is hilarious.
LOVE that part.
had to rewind it 2,000 times.
Probably due to the fact that I'm a musical theatre kid myself...as I know Lauren Graham to be=)

<333 WATCH THIS--It'll change your life.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr3x_RRJdd4 .ONE LOVE.

minilorelai14

« Reply #82 on: April 10, 2007, 10:05:02 pm »
OMG i luv this eppy this was on the best eppy my fav! i luv flashbacks! there great not everyday u get to see a young lorelai and a baby rory OO SO CUTE!! LOL! :D but this was a great eppy and at the end lorelai and emily have a little moment there its great but its a wonderful eppy I LUV IT!!! ;D

LilMizPiper

« Reply #83 on: April 24, 2007, 12:46:23 am »
I really liked this episode. I really felt for Lorelai, it must have been hard. Chelsea Brummet is an amazing actress, I love her as young Lorelai! She bears a striking similarity to Holly Marie Combs so if they do end up having a Charmed Spin Off, I REALLY hope Chelsea plays Melinda Halliwell!

See? She's totally Holly's double!

I also felt really sorry for Emily . . . did you see her face when she was reading that letter? She's a brilliant actress.

Ooh! I love how Lorelai said Rory was perfect.

One of my very favourite episodes!

Offline Jaysfrontier64

• Stars Hollow Tourist
  • Community Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 03, 2007, 10:25:14 am »
I just saw this episode yesterday and I really enjoyed the flashbacks.  Why didn't they do more flashbacks of Lorelai's younger days?

Offline kim_gilmoregirl

• Stars Hollow Tourist
  • Community Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 05, 2007, 11:38:21 pm »
This epi was so amazing and so sad. The flashbacks made it. It was so amazing to see what Lorelai went through. sad too. =/ I loved when Lorelai said "Have fun!" when Sherry was going into labor and rory was like "have fun?!!!"
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 11:53:50 pm by kim_gilmoregirl »

Dave & Lane. < 3

Logan & Rory. < 3

logansLover

« Reply #86 on: September 28, 2007, 07:55:54 am »
I was, I guess the way to describe it was hurt, emotionless by the end of this eppi.

Christopher wanted to be there for Lorelai and Rory, he was willing to do whatever it took to be there. And, I guess, aslong as my father lives, I will forever compare him to Christopher.  And it's not working out so hot right now.

But, I also would have liked to see more of their past together. To see Rory as a baby, and Lorelai with her. Did Chris stick around after Lor told him no? Was he there when she left? Did he know where she was going?

It was almost a tease having this eppi play, and seeing some of Lorelais past.

Offline superstarmonkey

• Town Troubadour
  • Community Points: 37
    • View Profile
    • Photobucket
« Reply #87 on: October 19, 2007, 04:11:12 am »
Am I the only one who thought that the young Lorelai was acting like a complete brat? I know we have seen the controlling Emily throughout the series so we are meant to assume she is like that when Lorelai is 16...but I didn''t seen any evidence of it in the episode. Ok, maybe she was slightly controlling with the portrait, but Lorelai was acting completely spoiled and horrible without us seeing why.

The episode needed Emily to be 'insanely manipulative Emily' to show us why Lorelai had to run away. If I had never seen G.G before this episode I would have put young Lorelai in the wrong.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 04:15:35 am by superstarmonkey »

Thanks to honkifuluvGG for the signature

Offline bingbong

• Town Selectman
  • Community Points: 1271
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 20, 2007, 04:47:12 pm »
Am I the only one who thought that the young Lorelai was acting like a complete brat? I know we have seen the controlling Emily throughout the series so we are meant to assume she is like that when Lorelai is 16...but I didn''t seen any evidence of it in the episode. Ok, maybe she was slightly controlling with the portrait, but Lorelai was acting completely spoiled and horrible without us seeing why.

The episode needed Emily to be 'insanely manipulative Emily' to show us why Lorelai had to run away. If I had never seen G.G before this episode I would have put young Lorelai in the wrong.
The flashbacks were very selective in what they showed us, a tease, and i also wonder why we did not see more first-hand evidence of the manipulative Emily, as superstarmonkey pointed out. The series has always had enough complexity to show Emily’s side on occasion (for example when Richard once revealed that she was in bed for a month after Lorelai ran away), but this would have been an obvious time to show exactly what Lorelai was running from. I have never really doubted that Lorelai was smothered by Emily’s domineering ways while growing up, and i took her sharp mouth as a defense mechanism against Emily. Not that i've ever assumed Lorelai was an angel, but such an environment can breed rebellion. I don’t know if young Lorelai came across in the flashbacks as a brat or if she was just being her usual quick-witted self, which has its obnoxious side at times. Interesting that before the pregnancy Chris was the one talking about going off to Europe and sleeping on a bench while Lorelai was the one saying they had to go to college, as though she reluctantly accepted the plan laid out for her. But after the pregnancy Chris was now the one accepting the plan laid out by Richard and the other parents, while Lorelai rejected it.

I wish we had a scene where Lorelai tells her parents she is pregnant and seen their reaction, especially Emily. I’m guessing she would not have been the cool cookie we saw in the scene with Chris’ parents. In fact, in that scene i thought she came over pretty well, the way she would not allow Chris’ parents to put all the responsibility on Lorelai. Emily was the one saying they were equally responsible. I loved when she told Chris’ mother to “choose your words carefully.” Whatever she was feeling inside, outwardly she was defending her daughter to Chris’ parents, sticking up for the Gilmore name. 
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 04:49:21 pm by bingbong »

Signature courtesy of SKFTEX

Offline Tucker

• Town Resident
  • Community Points: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 20, 2007, 11:57:49 pm »
I dont think they really needed to embelish emily in the flashbacks. It was made clear that she is who she is, her house is how it is, and that life was just not what Lorelai wanted. They didn't need to make her into some insane freak, because then we would think that she had changed or mellowed in the present, which she hasn't.

Also, you can't expect a 16 year old to always be right, even though we all love Lorelai. 16 year olds make rash choices, and the running away was part of the whole rebellious youth thing, so her coming across as "braty" seemed to fit really. She also needed to appear to be the kind of "careless teen" that would get pregnant at a young age.