GilmoreGirls.org Forum
January 19, 2022, 09:20:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Star  We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's best Gilmore Girls forum. The ORG Forum will be just that. Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster.  Star 

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
  Print  
Author Topic: 1.09 - Rory's Dance  (Read 78341 times)
~*SailorMoonFan*~
Town Resident

Community Points: 14

We are not what you think we are, we are golden!

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2007, 04:41:42 pm »

yay for pretty sticks  Grin

Emily and Lorelai trying to bond.............it will never work........>>>

lol i agree. when they're left alone they bond for like 5 seconds and it's a sweet moment but then they get into a ginormous fight and they're back at square 1  :Smiley

Narco:Because I love you, you idiot!

~This one's for the girls~
Vany
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 0

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2007, 08:47:26 am »

Ive just started watching Gilmore Girls, still on season 1, episode 9 but Im loving it!!

And this is my fave episode so far... loved the ball at Chilton and how Rory looked so in love!!  Grin
GiLmOrE_fAnAtIc122
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 2

Matt Czuchry + Me = (in my dreams) Love4Ever!!

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2007, 07:48:33 pm »

Just wait until you get to "That Damn Donna Reed" and "Love, Daisies and Troubadors", they are some of the best episodes {including "Rorys Dance". I was laughing my pants off during both of them!  Grin Cheesy

Oy with the poodles already! <3
Lor:Hey!
Rory:What?
Lor:You are NOT sleeping through this!
Rory:Sleeping through what?
Lor:The freaking blue man group is outside our house!
Rory:I WAS sleeping through it!
Lorelai:It had to have woken you up!
Rory:No my insane mother Margot Kidder Gilmore woke me up!
HollowStar
Town Resident

Community Points: 24

There are no flowers, no not this time.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: June 28, 2007, 10:00:12 pm »

This is one of the most well acted episodes I've ever seen.  Lauren was amazing.  The scene at the end has to be one of the most emotional Gilmore Girls scenes for me.  I love this episode, mainly for all of the Lorelai goodness.  Her odd positions on the couch are hilarious and I love the mashed banana on toast thing.

I will let you down.  I will make you hurt.  What have I become?
Dani257
Pretty Town Spinster

Community Points: 242

I post. Deal with it.

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 07, 2007, 03:07:40 pm »

This was a good episode (season 1 had a lot of them) but Emily annoyed me.  She was so good up to the point that Rory stayed out all night.  First, she had to know or at least suspect that one of Lorelai's fears would be Rory getting pregnant, so to taunt her with "she's going to get pregnant" was cruel.  Especially at a time like that, when Lorelai had just gotten over her upset of finding out that Rory hadn't come home and not knowing where she was until the phone call.  And, one thing that always seemed uneven in the relationship is Lorelai frequently apologized for her actions, but I can only recall one indirect apology from Emily.  I think Lorelai deserved an apology here.  And, to top it off, she blames Lorelai for letting Rory go to the dance with Dean, even though she's the one who made a big deal about Rory going to the dance.

The most telling and maybe saddest moment is when Lorelai is defending Rory to Emily.  She says, "Rory's a good kid -she's not me."  She repeats something like this at least once -when she tells Mrs. Kim in another episode that she doesn't want Rory to grow up like her.  I always found that combination of self confidence and insecurity interesting.

A bit leaner, but still chock full of demonic glory.  (Still pro Logan)
100% supportive of Alexis Bledel

http://www.associatedcontent.com/user/8624/angela_tircuit.html
gilmorefriend
Official Gilmore Girl

Community Points: 1354

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 07, 2007, 11:25:12 pm »

I loved the whole episode! Especially when Emily was with Lorelai!

THIS ACCOUNT IS SO OLD BUT I DON'T HAVE THE HEART TO DELETE IT PRETEND I DON'T EXIST
GG3
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 4

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2007, 01:51:38 pm »

This is one of the most well acted episodes I've ever seen.  Lauren was amazing
This was a good episode (season 1 had a lot of them) but Emily annoyed me. She was so good up to the point that Rory stayed out all night. First, she had to know or at least suspect that one of Lorelai's fears would be Rory getting pregnant, so to taunt her with "she's going to get pregnant" was cruel. Especially at a time like that, when Lorelai had just gotten over her upset of finding out that Rory hadn't come home and not knowing where she was until the phone call. And, one thing that always seemed uneven in the relationship is Lorelai frequently apologized for her actions, but I can only recall one indirect apology from Emily. I think Lorelai deserved an apology here. And, to top it off, she blames Lorelai for letting Rory go to the dance with Dean, even though she's the one who made a big deal about Rory going to the dance.

The most telling and maybe saddest moment is when Lorelai is defending Rory to Emily. She says, "Rory's a good kid -she's not me." She repeats something like this at least once -when she tells Mrs. Kim in another episode that she doesn't want Rory to grow up like her. I always found that combination of self confidence and insecurity interesting.
]

I agee with both of these statements.  I actually think that Alexis was a better actor in the first few seasons than she was in the last couple of seasons....I think she almost tried to hard in the last season. 
As far as Emily and Lorelai, I so think that Lorelai knows how much she hurt her parents and does think she was a "bad kid" and that she did embarass her parents when she became pregnant with Rory.  She has not forgiven herself for that and  her parents have never been able to get past it.  It is frustratating to me sometimes because they just continue with this for all seven seasons!  At some point you would think one of them would just forgive...
One of my favorite episodes.
gilmorefriend
Official Gilmore Girl

Community Points: 1354

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2007, 01:12:33 am »

DO NOT TRY MASHED BANANA ON TOAST! I am eating it as I speak. my mom is making me eat the whole thing! It is very bad! Well, it is the 2nd weirdest thing i have ever eaten!

THIS ACCOUNT IS SO OLD BUT I DON'T HAVE THE HEART TO DELETE IT PRETEND I DON'T EXIST
gilmore2972
Town Resident

Community Points: 3

Gilmore Girls isn't just a show, it's a life style

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 19, 2007, 12:34:06 pm »

also the whole paris thing and the cousin so funny
LoveMe011
Chilton Graduate

Community Points: 104

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 16, 2007, 01:57:32 pm »

this episode brings up a lot of the issues that explain what causes lorelai and emily's realtionship to be so strained all the time. emily feels like she's living the lorelai pregnancy situation all over again when she discovers that rory had spent the night with dean at miss patty's, and lorelai, though she knows rory is smart enough not to do something like that, still confronts rory and lets her know how stupid it was for her to do something like that. i think the fact that rory, back in the first episode, tried to convince her mom not to make her go to chilton because of the things that were happening with dean was an illustration of the fact that rory would make a dumb decision if a boy was involved, and this may have been part of the reason lorelai was a tiny bit worried that something may have actually happened between rory and dean that night. the majority of her believes rory when she says it was innocent, but lorelai's own history and the fact that she got pregnant at rory's age will always cause her to have doubts about that topic. the same thing happens with my mom and myself. my mom got pregnant with me at a young age and, though i have never given her reason not to trust me in a boy situation like that, i will always pay for the mistake she made because she knows how easy it is to get into that situation. i think that's exactly what happened with lorelai and rory here. i also believe that rory is right when she says that part of the reason lorelai is so upset is because this happened when emily was there to point fingers and tell lorelai what an awful mother she is.

[Cassy]
-Literati.
-Java Junkie.

Rory:I love you, mom.
Lorelai:Aw...kid, you have no idea.
Sooks
Inn Bellhop

Community Points: 1464

Life is Beautiful ~N. Sixx

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 16, 2007, 08:43:09 pm »

The first thing that comes to mind when I watch this episode is how my heart breaks towards the end. To see both mother daughter pairs interact as you see more clearly the relationship unfold between both Lorelais and Emily. It's actually a beautiful sight...but confirms a lot. Much like Cassy points out...you really get to see the relationship even more between Lorelai and Emily. Through this revisiting, I'm really focusing on their relationship a lot. It's a poignant one, no doubt, and you get that when watching the show anytime. But for some reason I'm really paying attention to is this time around. You can learn a lot about the two characters and how they might not be too different after all. Emily really tries to understand and I truly believe that she means well. She really did try to raise her daughter the best she could and as good as she knew. Alright, enough about the mother/daughter relationship for now...

I'm always reminded of when I first saw this episode and how much I really liked Dean. Not that I don't now...it's hard different after being introduced to Logan and seeing their relationship unfold so beautifully. I can't help but be drawn back into the 'early days' of the Gilmore Girls and remembering how excited I was for Rory that she'd found someone who respected her and even said "yes" to a dance that he wasn't too keen about going to.

I love the parts of the dance where:
1) Dean tells Madeline and Louise his height
2) He comes around behind Rory and holds her in front of Madeline and Louise and just smiles
3) Rory finds out that Paris brought her cousin to the dance
4) They slow dance
5) Dean asks if he'll get into trouble if he kisses her
6) They kiss
7) They decide that they've had enough and leave

I think my favorite scene of the episode is when they enter Miss Patty's and Rory drops her purse and Dean asks what she has in it that makes it so heavy, she replies a book. I love when Dean is reading it and they sit down together on the bean-bag. And then when they fall asleep in each other's arms. I know, how romantic. I'm normally not one for the romance...but this scene just makes the episode.

And then, little Miss Perfect Rory falls asleep with the 'bad boy' (bad boy #1) and doesn't come home.  Shocked Not Rory! That's just the beginning of the teen years in the Gilmore household! And it's great! I love that Rory does that, it makes her seem all the more 'real' for some reason!

This used to be one of my favorite episodes, but it's not on my top 10 anymore. No particular reason (other than that I feel there are better ones now, after seeing 7 seasons worth) but I really appreciate each and every episode because they all are important to the story and history of Gilmore Girls!

I can't wait for next week's! Smiley

Please read the Forum Rules and enjoy~
~NO DAY BUT TODAY~
lessa
Diner Chef

Community Points: 286

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 16, 2007, 08:57:09 pm »

I thought it was ironic that Lorelai was so defensive of her life and the freedom and love that her "mistake" had given her, but it didn't stop her coming down on Rory like a ton of bricks. Even Rory knew that Lorelai would not listen to reason or Dean's honest protests while she was thinking about Rory getting pregnant, but Lorelai would never admit to Emily that that was her worst nightmare!

I get Emily overreacting. She wanted so much to believe that Rory could make it from where she was starting, and even starting to accept it could be because of Lorelai rather than in spite of her. Maybe even accepting that she may have been wrong to guide young-Lorelai with schedules and distrust, you know seeing as how Rory has turned out so well with affection and freedom.

Then, suddenly, it seems that Lorelai has passed only one skill to her daughter, and that's going to cost the entire family another dream. I can't blame her too much, since Lorelai reacted exactly the same way once Emily was out of earshot!

Ah, I remember the early days when I thought Tristan and Paris were going to make it. I've never seen The Outsiders so the dance kind of put me in mind of an Archie comic book. And Paris's fearlessly invading the dance with a cousin to prove Tristan's careless surmise that she had a date got me wondering. What would Rory (you know, not-Lorelai Rory) have been like if she'd been raised on Lorelai's tight leash, forced to go to dances, but too industrious (not-rebellious) to care for them? Maybe a snot-nosed poser-jerk who got away with murder while passing Emily's sniff test would be a little more appealing.

And, (to get onboard with a popular rant) was this the last time we heard Dean say he wasn't much of a joiner?

bingbong
Town Selectman

Community Points: 1271

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 16, 2007, 10:47:12 pm »

This is the first episode i ever saw and i still love it. I love Emily fawning over Rory before she leaves for the party, taking pictures of the great occasion. I also love the rare moments of bonding between Emily and Lorelai later in the evening, particularly when Emily compliments Lorelai for the lovely job she has done with the dress... and Rory. But how can this same woman then turn around the next morning and verbally attack Lorelai, saying "what kind of mother are you to allow this..." blah blah blah. I don't think she is bi-polar but these scenes have always made me wonder. I thought it was awful the way Emily takes the panic over Rory and turns it into an attack on Lorelai, as a springboard to unleash her anger over their past. That was not the time for it. Emily was understandably upset over the situation, but would she be Emily if she showed support for Lorelai at such a terrifying moment? Or would she shove the whole thing in Lorelai's face? She should not have waited until season 5 to buy a panic room. In the emotions of the moment, Lorelai may have secretly shared many of the concerns that Emily raised about Rory, dreading her worst fears that Rory would make the same mistakes she made. But why would she admit those darkest fears to a woman who is shoving her nose in them? I thought it was very clever the way Lorelai shifts gears the moment Emily leaves and freaks out on Rory. Lorelai goes from defensive daughter to terrified mother in a heartbeat.

On the lighter side, i thought Louise and Madline were hilarious at the dance. They are a great comedy team. As for Paris, i struggle with feeling sympathy for her at this point of the series, when we have not seen much of her vulnerable side. But it's clear she wants to be popular with the guys, or at least the twerp Tristan, which gives her a touch of humanity here. Even at this stage, she is clearly too good for a nimrod such as Tristan.

Signature courtesy of SKFTEX
lessa
Diner Chef

Community Points: 286

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 17, 2007, 01:17:45 pm »

Also nice that Rory can display her superior party-mojo to take Paris down a peg. Kind of got me thinking about her choice of Madeleine and Louise for posse. Maybe they're like all the other caballeros, and they represent her repressed desire to be dumb and sexy. Typical Paris, though, she doesn't seem to absorb much social acumen in their company. Maybe her parents picked them out for her? She doesn't seem the type to let them copy her papers.

wmushell
Diner Waitress

Community Points: 950

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 17, 2007, 01:37:34 pm »

I'm in the middle of a severe computer crisis so sorry that I've been slacking on posts lately!  Sad  Trust me, it is not by choice.  However, I did manage to watch this beautiful episode.

I think I'll begin with Rory.  She showed a lot of spunk in this episode - from asking Dean to the dance (which takes a lot of courage when you're 16 and unsure of the real status of your relationship) and taking a chance on the dance at all when she was very unsure if she wanted to go.  She took charge of both situations and dove in even though she had reservations.  As a huge Outsiders fan I adored the Ponyboy reference.  I would also like to point out how willing Dean was to talk with Rory about what she was reading and was genuinely interested in it.  Ultimately, Rory needed her spunk in the end when she had to stick up for herself as she entered the combat zone that was Emily and Lorelai arguing (and then Lorelai turning on her when she sees her).  I love that she was able to avoid Emily!   Smiley

Does Dean and Rory falling asleep remind anyone of the song "Wake up Little Susie?"   Cheesy

Lorelai - wow, I love how she not only defended Rory to Emily but basically all of the choices she's made with her daughter.  She has true conviction when it comes to how she lives her life and is able to back herself up.  This is why I love her as a character.  Also, she shows such vulnerability as she on the surface tries to stop Emily from helping her with her hurt back but really ends up enjoying being taken care of.  Another reason why I love this character.

Emily - she wants so much to be a part of the girls' lives and yet cannot seem to help herself when it comes to judging them and blowing a situation out of proportion. 

Okay - more later I'm hoping!!!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
  Print  

Jump to: