GilmoreGirls.org Forum
June 30, 2022, 12:34:06 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Star  We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's best Gilmore Girls forum. The ORG Forum will be just that. Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster.  Star 

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: 1.08 - Love & War & Snow  (Read 43361 times)
bingbong
Town Selectman

Community Points: 1271

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2007, 05:03:14 pm »

I can never watch the one part in this episode where Lane touches the guy's hair. It's so cringe-worthy and embarassing. I always fast forward through that part on the dvd until she runs away. I'm I the only one that does that?

To me, it was very sweet the way Lane could not express her feelings to the guy verbally but instead allowed her obsession over his hair to take over. Also, the way she skedaddled from the scene has always reminded me of the way Rory skedaddled after Dean kissed her for the first time at the market, although the cause of the skedaddling was entirely different! Best of all was the chat that Lorelai had with Lane about the incident. This was being a "cool mom" at its best. Lorelai completely related to the situation and helped Lane put it in perspective, acting as a great fill-in best friend for Lane on that occasion.

Signature courtesy of SKFTEX
lessa
Diner Chef

Community Points: 286

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2007, 07:39:06 pm »

Ugh, I know what you mean, MissV. I get embarrassed for people really easily, it seems every public mistake a person makes recalls to me every one I've ever made. I mean, I know being sensitive is good, but I don't know if I could have manned up and handed out perspective if a friend came to me at a time like that! Definitely cool.

I also liked the photo album scene at Emily and Richard's house. They like Rory so much, but they've never had any practice at talking about her conception like it wasn't a tragedy. It may have been unintentional, but they gave Rory the first inkling of what Lorelai had lost going all-in with her.

honkifuluvGG
Pretty Town Spinster

Community Points: 1944

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2007, 09:47:03 pm »

I also liked the photo album scene at Emily and Richard's house. They like Rory so much, but they've never had any practice at talking about her conception like it wasn't a tragedy. It may have been unintentional, but they gave Rory the first inkling of what Lorelai had lost going all-in with her.

I always find this scene so sad when I watch it. In fact it's my saddest scene of this ep, which is saying something because the look on Luke's face when he sees Lorelai with Max...... Cry.   Rory is having such a great time at the G'rents and really doesn't give all of Lorelais' prejudices about them a second thought.  She enjoys getting to know them and just being in their company.  And when she finds the album, and has such a great time hearing their stories of the photos, you get such a great feeling that the barriers placed up between Lorelai and Richard and Emily may finally break down.....then bam!!  No more conversation because the unspeakable happened.  They get reminded of a time, almost 17 years ago, that they just can't seem to forget.  You would think that they could find a way to push past it a little and continue conversing and sharing stories with their grand-daughter.

I love the way Lorelai has her love affair with snow in this episode also.  I too find snow pretty magical...and she reels me in hook, line and sinker with her walk through the town as she takes it all in.

Please read Forum Rules
lessa
Diner Chef

Community Points: 286

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2007, 10:42:41 pm »

Seems like she reeled Luke in a little, too. I mean, maybe he wasn't all about war reenactments at the end, but he obviously saw something in the first-snow ritual that he hadn't before, and, Luke-fashion, he supported it by going out there and making himself useful.

bingbong
Town Selectman

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2007, 11:33:23 pm »

Good times with Emily are always fleeting. There never seems to be more than a few minutes of pleasure before something turns it ugly. Besides this episode, a couple of other examples include "Rory's Dance" and "Emily in Wonderland". It doesn't take much to remind Emily of the unhappy past; it's always lurking and she and Richard can't even enjoy looking through a photo album with Rory without the happy moment being spoiled.

I like the way Dean discusses literature with Rory in this episode. Yes to Jane Austen and Hunter Thompson, no to Charlotte Bronte. By the time Jess arrived on the scene, Dean was no longer a lover of literature and was bored out of his mind at the book sale in "Lost & Found".

It was a touching moment when Luke gave his sad look at the sight of Lorelai with Max, but how about Lorelai & Max? Great couple. Easy rapport, oodles of chemistry. The guy is smart, he gets her humor, can keep up with her humor and leaves great answering machine messages. Not too shabby. However, Lorelai handled Lane's hair-touching issue a lot better than Rory's teacher-sleeping-on-the couch issue.

MissV327
Inn Owner

Community Points: 147

~*~ Katy ~*~ aka Peachy Keen

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2007, 08:30:42 am »

I didn't get to watch this episode last night. Instead Jordon and I went to the library to get books to read. I thought about watching it tonight, but Pushing Daisies and Private Practice is on so I don't think we'll have time.  Tongue Boo. This is the first episode of the Revisiting Project I will have to skip.  Cry

"You silly little pickle! You silly little peas!" - Veggie Tales (Those sweet geniuses!)

"Let your heart guide you. It whispers...so listen carefully."
The Land Before Time

W.W.P.O.D. ?
Kaish15
Town Resident

Community Points: 21

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2007, 09:04:08 am »

My favorite part about this episode has always been how Lorelai has the "girl talk" with Lane. I wish they had more Lorelai/Lane scenes throughout the series, but maybe that would have been awkward for her to talk to her best friend's mom. It makes me wonder though, who else does Lane talk to on a regular basis besides Rory and Ms. Kim?

It was also cool how they showed how much Lorelai loves the snow, seeing as snow and her have a fight later. I love the scene were she is talking about how the world changes when it snows because everything becomes quite and softens then Micheal hands her the phone saying that her mom is on the phone. I just love that scene. Aslo love the scene were Emily comes racing upstairs to ask Rory how to stop the beeping from the stove. Funny Moments!

I can never watch the one part in this episode where Lane touches the guy's hair. It's so cringe-worthy and embarassing. I always fast forward through that part on the dvd until she runs away. I'm I the only one that does that?

My mom is like that too. She can't watch Lorelai's "I'm not getting married" speech during Lane's wedding. I probably have my scenes also that I could fast forward through, but I kind of like seeing the whole episodes, plus the scenes I don't like are a main story line. The whole drama with Dean/Lindsay.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 09:22:58 am by Kaish15 » Logged

SIDNEY
Chilton Graduate

Community Points: 322

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2007, 11:36:46 pm »

It was a touching moment when Luke gave his sad look at the sight of Lorelai with Max, but how about Lorelai & Max? Great couple. Easy rapport, oodles of chemistry. The guy is smart, he gets her humor, can keep up with her humor and leaves great answering machine messages. Not too shabby. However, Lorelai handled Lane's hair-touching issue a lot better than Rory's teacher-sleeping-on-the couch issue.

I also liked Max's message. That is another great thing about him. He is a great speaker. Their unplanned date is just beautiful . It was amazing how they kept trying to pick the right time but at the end it was up to fate to bring them together in a snow storm!!
I liked the way Max was talking about love, fate & poetry as a whole. It was almost the same as Lorelai talking about the snow early on in that episode. But then there comes the realistic Luke ranting about snow and traditions which was funny and interesting. Cool

It was also interesting how political the town meeting was and how commitment the town of S.H is. They kept re-acting the legendary war of S.H. in that freezing weather. It's crazy how in the original thing there was no war... they just kept waiting for the enemy who never showed. But Taylor and the rest of the town insist on calling it "The Legendary War".

I like the way Dean discusses literature with Rory in this episode. Yes to Jane Austen and Hunter Thompson, no to Charlotte Bronte. By the time Jess arrived on the scene, Dean was no longer a lover of literature and was bored out of his mind at the book sale in "Lost & Found".

It's a mystery to me how Dean liked Jane Austen! What was Rory thinking of when she gave him the book? I think if she had gone with Emily Bronte, that would've been better. But I see your point that Dean was trying to relate to Rory; reading books he wouldn't normally read.

It was sad at the end of the episode when Rory was looking at Lorelai & Max laughing together but then turns to see her parents picture. But she was very mature not to give Lorelai a hard time about it.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 11:41:17 pm by SIDNEY » Logged

Billy: Are we over the rainbow, Ally? Is this it? We used to sing as kids "over the rainbow".
We've gone from being people with bright futures to people who should be living their futures now.
bingbong
Town Selectman

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2007, 08:32:50 am »

I liked the way Max was talking about love, fate & poetry as a whole. It was almost the same as Lorelai talking about the snow early on in that episode. But then there comes the realistic Luke ranting about snow and traditions which was funny and interesting. Cool

...It was sad at the end of the episode when Rory was looking at Lorelai & Max laughing together but then turns to see her parents picture. But she was very mature not to give Lorelai a hard time about it.

The Lorelai/Max unplanned date was presented as a kind of destiny that they should get together, a great way to start their relationship. It possibly helped relieve the pressure of a first date that it was spontaneous. But even if it had been planned, their natural chemistry together would have come out.

The ending conversation between Lorelai and Rory was one of those where Rory comes across more as the grown-up. Between her babbling, Lorelai did make clear her regret over the awkwardness of the situation. But Rory was the one who looked at the bigger picture, thinking of her mom's happiness, not wanting her to feel that she cannot bring a guy home, even as she was of course feeling weird about the whole situation. It was a similar conversation to the one in "Cinnamon's Wake", where Rory first learns that Lorelai wants to date Max and tries to put her mom's feelings first.

I also liked a couple of Rory's lines in that ending conversation: "Oh my God. Did he go into the bathroom? I have stuff hanging in there!" and "Plus I know you're not a cat person so you truly will be alone if you don't find someone."

LoveMe011
Chilton Graduate

Community Points: 104

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2007, 01:48:27 pm »

my favorite part of this episode is when rory cooks the frozen pizza and convinces her grandparents to try it and put grated parmesan cheese on top. most people are thinking "what's the big deal? it's frozen pizza. everyone eats frozen pizza." but this just illustrates that emily and richard live in such a different world than lorelai and rory do. it's nice to see them take a step out of their politically correct boxes and "walk on the wild side," even if it's a small step.

i also like the scene where rory is in lorelai's old room and finds the picture of lorelai and christopher from when they were together and she puts it in her pocket to keep. i can relate to rory in this scene because my parents divorced when i was a baby, so i don't know what it's like for them to be together, just as rory doesn't know what it would be like if lorelai and christopher were together. a small part of her would like to see the three of them united as a happy family, but her logical self knows that the situation was best solved by their separation and that things are how they should be, and she didn't want to stir that pot.

[Cassy]
-Literati.
-Java Junkie.

Rory:I love you, mom.
Lorelai:Aw...kid, you have no idea.
gracelandia
Town Selectman

Community Points: 220

{GrAcE}

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2007, 05:28:58 pm »

I felt bad for Lane...I've never done anything like that. 

Also, who wears pigtails to sleep? Lorelai, apparently.

I thought Rory looked so pretty in the episode.  And she looked so pretty when she and Dean were sitting on the bench. 

I despise Max.  For the record, I also despise Jason and pretty much everyone Lorelai's dated, but Max is just...ewgh.

AT LAST A MEMBER OF THE CRAZIEE CLUB
I don't look a day over 89 years and 364 days!
Me and Lexie love pink lemonade!!
SIDNEY
Chilton Graduate

Community Points: 322

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2008, 07:27:01 am »

The ending conversation between Lorelai and Rory was one of those where Rory comes across more as the grown-up. Between her babbling, Lorelai did make clear her regret over the awkwardness of the situation. But Rory was the one who looked at the bigger picture, thinking of her mom's happiness, not wanting her to feel that she cannot bring a guy home, even as she was of course feeling weird about the whole situation. It was a similar conversation to the one in "Cinnamon's Wake", where Rory first learns that Lorelai wants to date Max and tries to put her mom's feelings first.

I agree, Rory was really thoughtful and amazing to ba as mature as she was. She tried to keep the awkwardness of the sitiuation as light as possible for Lorelai's sake. Lorelai has done an outstanding job in raising Rory but she hardly gave herself credit for that.

Funny, when you say that "Rory  comes across more as the grown-up" that reminds me of Lorelai and Emily. Lorelai too, comes across sometimes as the sensible grown-up in their relationship.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 07:28:28 am by SIDNEY » Logged

Billy: Are we over the rainbow, Ally? Is this it? We used to sing as kids "over the rainbow".
We've gone from being people with bright futures to people who should be living their futures now.
sem23
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 0

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2008, 02:49:17 am »

Yeah, this episodes is really Amazing, and Definitely good i seen every every episodes of gilmore girls.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 03:21:32 am by sem23 » Logged
nicgc1
Town Resident

Community Points: 7

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2008, 03:32:13 am »

Really like this episode. actually i love them all
thevoid99
Diner Regular

Community Points: 19

Shame on our dirty little hearts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2008, 11:03:39 pm »

I like Max.  He's a cool guy, a poet.  But he's not Luke... the look in Luke's face when he saw Lorelai kiss Max...  Cry

Poor Lane, she embarrasses herself and tries to talk to Rory and mope to the Cure.  "Pictures of You" is my 2nd fave song of theirs.  "Just Like Heaven" is first.

I liked Rory spending time with her grandparents but those pictures of Lorelai when she was young brought some bad memories and the picture of Rory's parents together.  I think in many ways, Rory always wanted her parents together.  Then six years later, it wasn't a good idea anymore.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: