GilmoreGirls.org Forum
September 22, 2021, 01:20:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Star  Are you new to the ORG Forum?  Perhaps you're a longtime member.  Either way, read the Forum rules to stay informed on proper etiquette.  Cheerio!  Star

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: 1.04 - The Deer Hunters  (Read 57560 times)
Dani257
Pretty Town Spinster

Community Points: 242

I post. Deal with it.

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2007, 01:30:39 pm »

I just assumed that the D was because Rory wasn't used to that caliber of work.  Chilton was supposed to be a more intense school than Stars Hollow High.  So, she just hadn't had the training yet. 

I loved Lorelai's rambling monologue when she was trying to get Rory's attention.  "A terrible thing has happened where no terrible thing has ever happened before.  House falls down hill.  Liposuction kills.  Stay fat!"  I even managed to work "Liposuction kills.  Stay fat" into a regular conversation.

And, Max!  Yes, I'm one of the members who love Max.

A bit leaner, but still chock full of demonic glory.  (Still pro Logan)
100% supportive of Alexis Bledel

http://www.associatedcontent.com/user/8624/angela_tircuit.html
Sooks
Inn Bellhop

Community Points: 1464

Life is Beautiful ~N. Sixx

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2007, 08:04:30 pm »

Well, this episode put Gilmore Girls into reality for me. Even more so when I watched the episode after I had watched more sessions and looking back at everything. The comment about Rory getting a 'D' on a paper has been floating around. That is what set Gilmore Girls more realistic for me. All this talk of an honor student, a stellar student, an 'A' student - Harvard bound, Chilton girl! And then, she gets a 'D'. Not that I was happy that she got one, but it just made me realize that Rory is a smart girl, with great knowledge, but she's a young woman, just like anyone else. Again, this is how I looked at everything after I had watched more sessions of GG, I honestly don't think I watched this episode as a 'fresh' episode the first time around, now that I think about it.

There were so many great moments in this episode, many of which were previously mentioned.

I will say that I love the interaction between Lane and Rory while she's on her way to school the morning of her test. "Was it a four way stop?" Gotta love it!

Sookie and the Risotto is hilarious! She's such a happy spirit that it's so hard to see her when she's upset. She freaks out about things, kind of like I do sometimes, so I relate to her, on more than one level. Jackson is just an amazing man to see Sookie for who she is and not want to change her with all her quarky ways and fun loving spirit! Smiley

I just adore Lorelai and Rory studying - and the scene where Lorelai goes into the kitchen to find Rory has fallen asleep on her books and she cuddles up next to her with the blanket. That's just priceless! And the waking up - 'mommy can't move right now, she slept at a right angle' is just great! But it shows just a small snippet of their dedication to each other.

I love how Lorelai always speaks her mind, no matter to who or what it is! She's my hero! I too love the comments she makes to the Headmaster! Another priceless moment. (There's so many of those moments!)

All in all, this episode was a monumental episode for me. It didn't seem like it for awhile but now watching it again, it explains so much and like Shell said, some real classic Gilmore Girls moments in this episode!

I can't wait to discuss next week's episode! As I said when we were discussing the Pilot I think, getting to re-watch the episodes and really paying attention to the details, has been so enjoyable! It's great finding new moments to love and viewing the characters differently sometimes. It's also great to be involved in the discussion for episodes I wasn't involved with the first time around. A great way to keep GG alive in our hearts and minds! Smiley

Please read the Forum Rules and enjoy~
~NO DAY BUT TODAY~
honkifuluvGG
Pretty Town Spinster

Community Points: 1944

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2007, 09:37:34 pm »

More bits that I enjoyed in this episode were with Drella when she runs into Michel with the harp

MICHEL: Youíre stupid, blind and clumsy.

DRELLA: Well at least Iím not French.

LORELAI: Hey, whatís going on?

MICHEL: She ran over my shoe.

DRELLA: He got in the way.

MICHEL: You aimed for me.

DRELLA: Yeah well.

LOL - too funny.† And the study moments were fantastic.† The bit Dani mentioned above with the Liposuction kills.† Stay fat line is one of my all time faves. and then as she heads out into the kitchen, Lorelai acts a lot like I do when I want people in my household to stop doing what they are doin and entertain me† Embarrassed

LORELAI: [to herself]For our top story tonight, a grisly horrible thing that happened in a small town where not grisly horrible things ever happen. Everyoneís shocked. House slides down hill. Liposuction kills, stay fat. [turns off tv] Hey letís get ice cream. Iím bored. [goes into kitchen where Rory is studying] Hello?

RORY: Mom, Iím studying.

LORELAI: Yeah, but Iím talking ice cream. Canít you take a break?

RORY: I canít take a break right now.

LORELAI: Ok, when?

RORY: Are you four?

LORELAI: No, Iím hungry!

RORY: Have some more pizza.

LORELAI: Itís cold.

RORY: Heat it up.

LORELAI: Itís not the same.

RORY: Lorelai go to your room!

LORELAI: Wow, smart girls are mean.

RORY: If you let me study now, Iíll play with you this weekend.

LORELAI: Promise.

Grin

I thought it was goofy that they have a rule about not being able to take the test.  Wouldn't the consequence be, in most places, that she now has less time to complete the test?  (assuming she would need to have it done by the end of the period)  That just sounds more reasonable to me.

Here in Australia, well at my school at least for the senior school exams that took place if you missed the start time you weren't allowed to sit them either.  I'm not sure why, but that was the rule and was just excepted by all.

I just assumed that the D was because Rory wasn't used to that caliber of work.

And, Max! Yes, I'm one of the members who love Max.

Yeah I took it that way also to start with, but on further thought believe it to be a bit unrealistic.  I mean if Rory is the top of her class/ has excpetional enough grades to get into Chilton in the first place, then Ifind it hard to believe that even if she hadn't been trained in the Chilton way of things, her knowledge would have been enough to get her a slightly higher grade than a D!.  I mean that is practically a fail.  BUt I guess for the sake of a great plot device, I can see how this had more dramatic effect.

And yep Dani, I remember that you are one of the bigger Max fans on the boards.  As I said, I like him, but I just don't love him.  I love most of his interactions with Lorelai though....but he's not my type of guy is all.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 09:55:13 pm by honkifuluvGG » Logged

Please read Forum Rules
Dani257
Pretty Town Spinster

I post. Deal with it.

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2007, 11:01:24 am »

In my experience (which is just for myself, not a study of a lot of people, so take it for what it's worth) it's not all that surprising to get a D on an English paper, especially if it's at a new school or a different level of work.  Because English isn't an exact science.  Sure there are the grammatical rules, but besides that, a lot depends on the individual teacher.  And, you have to figure out what the teacher is looking for.

And, since this is all about me, I did sympathize with how Rory felt about the D.  I got my first D on an English paper in college.  And it completely devastated me.  Math?  That wouldn't have been a surprise.  But, I was good at English.  I was a freaking English major, and I had already gotten good grades in earlier semesters, and now I was going to have to change majors, or get kicked out, or some other horrible thing, because obviously I wasn't any good.  And, after a minor freak out, I figured out what that professor was looking for, read his comments, and got a much better grade on the rest of my papers.

honkifuluvGG
Pretty Town Spinster

Community Points: 1944

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2007, 02:46:37 pm »

Hmmmm okay, well I guess there only needs to be one real life example of it, for it to be realistic.  I can guess I can understand how you can come to learn what a teacher is expecting and therefore be graded to his criteria.

For the record, knowing how I love to read your posts Dani, I'm as shocked by your D as I am by Rory's though. Grin

Please read Forum Rules
Dani257
Pretty Town Spinster

I post. Deal with it.

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2007, 03:16:06 pm »

Aw thanks.  Later, I realized that a lot of English is the ability to bs your way through a paper Grin  Not that I think that was Rory's method.

Also, another thing to consider is I think there was a reason why it had to be a D, even without realism.  Yes, Rory was used to getting A's (had she gotten a B before?) but I don't think the impact of a C would have been strong enough.  A C isn't great, but it just doesn't have the same punch in the gut as a D. Not unless Rory was the type to have a nervous break down over an A-.  Bad, but not as humiliating.   And, an F would have been going too far, and would have been beyond unrealistic.

~*SailorMoonFan*~
Town Resident

Community Points: 14

We are not what you think we are, we are golden!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2007, 01:41:55 pm »

It's true that a lot of your writing in English depends on the teacher. My teacher last year was sort of old-fashioned and she didn't like my essays, but this year my teacher loves my writing ( Huh). Teachers are so confusing!

Max appears to be a teacher who is nice and receptive, but a tough grader, and to go from a small school like Stars Hollow High to an elite private school like Chilton is a huge step, and personally I think Rory pulled it off pretty well Smiley

Those are just my thoughts. Now i should really stop procrastinating and go write my paper...for english. Coincidence? I think not  Wink

Narco:Because I love you, you idiot!

~This one's for the girls~
thevoid99
Diner Regular

Community Points: 19

Shame on our dirty little hearts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2008, 03:45:25 pm »

Poor Rory... for her entire life.  She was a straight-A student and never getting a grade lower than that.  Then that dreaded D.  It was a sign of "Welcome to Chilton!"

Paris trying to take Rory down with that Shakespeare phrase.  Rory going into overdrive and Lorelai starting to help her out after learning from Max Medina about what happened.  Then Rory being late, getting hit by a deer, and missing her test.  BREAKDOWN!  She snaps at Paris and Tristin.  Aw man... at least Lorelai was there for her, calling the headmaster "Il Duce", and just being a great mom.  It's a great example of the mother-daughter relationship between those 2.  Then that call from Max apologizing for the whole thing and just trying to help them out.  He seems like a nice guy. 

Sookie fretting over a decent but not great review.  Oh, she's a hoot.  How can anyone not love Sookie? 
gg crazy
Diner Chef

Community Points: 4

:)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2008, 06:43:07 pm »

Rory: i got hit by a deer!

Max: u hit a deer!

Rory: no, the deer hit me!

LOL!!!!!!!!!!! Cheesy Chicken

drain
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 0

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2008, 01:46:08 pm »

liked this episode esspicly rorys blow out

and hearign the harp player playing black sabbath Smiley

Wilara
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 2

Me in London- I LOVE London!!!

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2008, 01:41:26 am »

I find Rory's blow up, whilst entertaining, kinda unrealistic.  Lorelai's blow up on the other hand was very cool- "Il Duce".  Hilarious!! 

One of my favourites is the Stationary store scene.

Love Emma
Johanna
Stars Hollow Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2009, 03:38:36 am »

Man, I could relate so much to Rory in this episode.

I've had a lot of school issues in the past... and my mum has also yelled at my head teacher like that (though she never used the name 'Il Duce')! It brought back a lot of memories from the past couple of years!

HermioneGirl101
Town Troubadour

Oh, Luke... How I love thee...

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2009, 06:53:31 pm »

This episode was so funny! I was laughing all through Rory's blowup! Serves Paris right! But, when the deer hit Rory, I jumped. It was so unexpected!  Cheesy

Ding! You're a fairy!
Gilmore Gyrlie
Town Resident

Community Points: 7

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2009, 03:58:41 pm »

0000000000000000000000000000000H!

Max likes Lorelai!

Sookie had me in stitches, freaking out over the review.

loved Lane's little hideway in her bedroom closet, really cool and funky.
cherilee13
Diner Chef

Community Points: 364

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2009, 02:22:05 pm »

Never could figure out how Lane was able to keep her little paradise in that closet from Mrs. Kim.  It was really neat, though.  I think it was bigger than my whole bedroom  Cheesy

Loved Lorelai and Rory's rants in this one.  They were great.

I like Max

Sig by Sooks/Mel ~ Thank you sweet friend
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to: