GilmoreGirls.org Forum
January 24, 2022, 11:42:41 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Star  We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's best Gilmore Girls forum. The ORG Forum will be just that. Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster.  Star 

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: 1.03 - Kill Me Now  (Read 64669 times)
gilmore2972
Town Resident

Community Points: 3

Gilmore Girls isn't just a show, it's a life style

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2007, 11:17:06 am »

yeah and the sweater thing
wow
gilmore2972
Town Resident

Community Points: 3

Gilmore Girls isn't just a show, it's a life style

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2007, 09:37:10 pm »

i dont no why, but this is low on my favorites list
lessa
Diner Chef

Community Points: 286

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2007, 06:44:44 pm »

"It looks like a really snooty doublemint commercial." Egads, It's still funny. XD

I love this episode, it was a real profile of Lorelai and her parents. It was funny the way the guys at the club and Mrs. Shales, both artifacts of Emily's world, hated their children and wanted to be rid of them. Maybe Emily wasn't the worst parent Lorelai could have drawn after all. But would Lorelai have become as disaffected as Mrs. Shales if Emily, Richard, and Christopher had managed to spoil off Rory's sweet edge?

I also loved the bit where Emily, determined to prove her point to Lorelai, made absolutely sure Richard showed Rory a good time. And Richard gradually realizing that Rory enjoyed his company in a way Lorelai didn't. "She's a sixteen year old who would rather be at the mall," indeed!

Plus, of course, the part where Lorelai's jealousy takes the form of a sweater-hoarding boob-obsessed fairy. I can relate completely, I'm famous for my boob fairy moments.

bingbong
Town Selectman

Community Points: 1271

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2007, 10:36:02 pm »

One pleasant thing about this terrific episode is that Rory unexpectedly bonds with Richard. We did not see that in the first two eps. Richard relaxed with her and let down his guard in a way that Emily seemed to be incapable of doing. Emily is battling for Rory's soul but it's Richard who touches her heart. Although Lorelai dealt with her jealousy over Rory/Richard in childish fashion by instigating the boob argument, she revealed regrets about her past that we don't always see.

Rory the Conciliator also made an appearance, in her attempt to stop the madness between Em & Lor and make the earth-shaking decision to play a frickin' round of golf with her grandfather.  Part of me wishes Rory would tell Emily to kindly butt out, but she was in a tough spot in her role as the prize of the tussle. Can't be easy being the youngest person in the room and forced to bring the peace between her elders. And i always love to see Lorelai shift roles, herself playing conciliator in holding the inn wedding together, in contrast to her battle with Emily and jealousy over Richard.

Signature courtesy of SKFTEX
honkifuluvGG
Pretty Town Spinster

Community Points: 1944

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2007, 12:55:05 am »

I also found the Rory/Richard bonding my standout part for this episode.  I love how begrudgingly Richard went into the whole golf lesson and how proud he was by the end of it.  His pleasure in seeing that his grand-daughter was in fact well read and had aspirations greater than the ultimate shopping trip to the mall, was very well acted by Ed.  And I loved how engrossed he was in ROry's steamroom gossip lol.  How lowbrow of him to take that much pleasure in finding out the sordid details of the other club members.

Lorelai's reaction to the meshing of the two worlds all the way through was so well played by Lauren also.  Her assumption that Rory would certainly not enjoy anything in her parents world, and the realisation that in fact Rory didn't find it the painful existence that Lorelai did, was interesting to watch.  Of course, I'm sure that Rory had a better start to it all in that she was not forced to take part in these kinds of social engagements on a regular basis.  I was feeling particularly bad for Rory when Lorelai met her at Lukes afterwards and started bagging it from the word go.  It was almost as though Rory felt guilty for betraying her mother, and having seen kids go through broken families in the real world, and feeling the need to have allegiences to certain members of the family, it is something I don't enjoy seeing much.  Even on the small screen in a fictional show.  To Lorelai's credit though, she did attempt to dial it back a notch when she realised her error in assumption.

On a lighter note, I really enjoyed the Michel moments in this episode.  From the realisation that the twins were in fact marrying twins, to the story of being attacked by a band of swans - he cracked me up.  There are some great moments of him standing side by side with Lorelai throughout the episode that just result in a great range of facial expressions from the two of them.  And Michel using the post it note was hilarious.  Way too funny.

Again I liked the Drella moments also.  The way she was used in the first three episodes I really think she was going to have a recurring role, but other commitments didn't allow.  Maybe that is why Mick/Swan guy/Kirk came about after all?  But back to Drella.  I love the contrast in her character.  Playing the most angelic of instruments and yet having such a caustic personality. I find it amusing.  I loved all her stance for being a musician of high calibre who wasn't a jukebox that could take requests....until the right sum of money was offered.  And her very unlady-like swig of beer during the wedding.  Very laughable.  And she had a little thing for Michel - checking out his booty Shocked...what a pair indeed Cheesy

« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 12:57:52 am by honkifuluvGG » Logged

Please read Forum Rules
bingbong
Town Selectman

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2007, 09:33:02 am »

Lorelai's reaction to the meshing of the two worlds all the way through was so well played by Lauren also.  Her assumption that Rory would certainly not enjoy anything in her parents world, and the realisation that in fact Rory didn't find it the painful existence that Lorelai did, was interesting to watch.  Of course, I'm sure that Rory had a better start to it all in that she was not forced to take part in these kinds of social engagements on a regular basis.  I was feeling particularly bad for Rory when Lorelai met her at Lukes afterwards and started bagging it from the word go.  It was almost as though Rory felt guilty for betraying her mother, and having seen kids go through broken families in the real world, and feeling the need to have allegiences to certain members of the family, it is something I don't enjoy seeing much.  Even on the small screen in a fictional show.  To Lorelai's credit though, she did attempt to dial it back a notch when she realised her error in assumption.

It became a common pattern for Rory to get caught in the middle of the Emily/Lorelai battle, because she was not merely the subject of the battle but sometimes an excuse for their larger battle. In this ep, Lorelai acted as though Rory had betrayed her, when in fact Lorelai was betraying Rory by not considering the effects all this petty bickering might have on her daughter. As you pointed out, she fortunately came to her senses later. I consider it an early chapter of Lorelai's learning process, where she struggles over the idea that Rory does not duplicate her view of the Hartford world; it's a thread that ran into the Yale years.

lessa
Diner Chef

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2007, 11:42:23 am »

She said she felt right about being beyond her mother's control, and that keeping them apart was an accident. Besides, there's no way she could have know Rory would grow into everything in a teenage girl that Lorelai wasn't. And could anyone have guessed that Rory would enjoy being manipulated by Emily? Let alone socialize at a club that destroyed the environment and discriminated on the basis of race, religion, and income when selecting members.

Anyway, the boob fairy moment seemed more about Lorelai feeling possessive of her parents rather than the other way around. She seemed more concerned that they liked Rory better than over the absurd notion that Rory would like the grandparents more than she liked Lorelai. That last scene was so sad, and I always wondered: Emily is about as hyperliterate as a brick, why would she be interested in Chrestomathy or a bunch of dusty memoirs? She and Lorelai had as much to talk about as Richard and Rory, too bad Emily was busy rubbing Lorelai's nose in it.

bingbong
Town Selectman

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2007, 12:07:45 pm »

Did Rory "enjoy" being manipulated by Emily? Or did she tolerate it to keep the peace? I think she did enjoy much of her Hartford experiences though and usually let Emily's behavior slide.

lessa
Diner Chef

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2007, 12:44:26 pm »

I dunno, for just being polite, she really gets into it. Isn't it just as likely she would pretend apprehension out of loyalty as it is she would pretend enthusiasm out of politeness?

Maybe on some level, Rory connects Lorelai's rebellion with the "mistakes" she made at sixteen. Rory has no concept of that kind of rebellion yet, is it any wonder she thinks Lorelai could get along with Emily and Richard if she just tried a little harder?

Dani257
Pretty Town Spinster

Community Points: 242

I post. Deal with it.

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2007, 01:14:36 pm »

She said she felt right about being beyond her mother's control, and that keeping them apart was an accident. Besides, there's no way she could have know Rory would grow into everything in a teenage girl that Lorelai wasn't. And could anyone have guessed that Rory would enjoy being manipulated by Emily? Let alone socialize at a club that destroyed the environment and discriminated on the basis of race, religion, and income when selecting members.

Anyway, the boob fairy moment seemed more about Lorelai feeling possessive of her parents rather than the other way around. She seemed more concerned that they liked Rory better than over the absurd notion that Rory would like the grandparents more than she liked Lorelai. That last scene was so sad, and I always wondered: Emily is about as hyperliterate as a brick, why would she be interested in Chrestomathy or a bunch of dusty memoirs? She and Lorelai had as much to talk about as Richard and Rory, too bad Emily was busy rubbing Lorelai's nose in it.

Somehow, I doubt the discrimination entered into either of Lorelai's or Rory's minds.  Lorelai would hate going there if they let in the poorest non WASP-ian minority -who happened to enjoy golf and tea and all those kinds of things.  And, I really think it was more about socializing with Richard that Rory responded to, rather than the club.  I mean, Rory doesn't hate that world like Lorelai does, but I'd say that the main attraction was discovering that she enjoyed his company, rather than where his company was, if that makes sense.

But, I agree that the last scene is incredibly sad.  It's also why I can't see Gilmore Girls as a comedy.  It's got the funny, then it hits you in the gut with a scene of Lorelai all by herself in her parents house.

A bit leaner, but still chock full of demonic glory.  (Still pro Logan)
100% supportive of Alexis Bledel

http://www.associatedcontent.com/user/8624/angela_tircuit.html
honkifuluvGG
Pretty Town Spinster

Community Points: 1944

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2007, 01:26:02 pm »

She said she felt right about being beyond her mother's control, and that keeping them apart was an accident. Besides, there's no way she could have know Rory would grow into everything in a teenage girl that Lorelai wasn't. And could anyone have guessed that Rory would enjoy being manipulated by Emily?

I believe Lorelai never intentionally kept Rory away from her grandparents, but that this was a result or by-product of her own need to escape that world.  But I don't believe that Rory grew into "everything in a teenage girl that Lorelai wasn't".  I think it's more that Rory wants to know her grandparents and wants to spend some time with them.  She doesn't feel all the social engagements that Lorelai grew to hate because they were forced upon are that bad....because they are a novelty for her. 

But I think you are right in saying that Emily enjoyed rubbing her nose in it at the end.  As much as, if I dare say it, I think Lorelai would have enjoyed similar had Rory come back hating the outing.

Please read Forum Rules
Dani257
Pretty Town Spinster

Community Points: 242

I post. Deal with it.

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2007, 01:49:22 pm »

Except, as much as Lorelai probably would have enjoyed it, I think she would have noticed if Emily was left by herself, and she would have attempted to go sit by her and help her feel not so left out.  And, most likely would have been rebuffed by Emily for her efforts.

A bit leaner, but still chock full of demonic glory.  (Still pro Logan)
100% supportive of Alexis Bledel

http://www.associatedcontent.com/user/8624/angela_tircuit.html
lessa
Diner Chef

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2007, 03:51:25 pm »

Ha! No doubt!

I don't think the chemistry was just the novel experience for Rory, though. The way she was dishing the steamroom gossip at lunch seemed just like something Emily would do, (except for the part about saying the club wasn't so exclusive. And the part where Richard was actually listening.)

I get that Rory is curious about her grandparents, but she does have a lot more in common with Richard than Lorelai, and Emily clearly finds her more suitable and manipulable. As much as Lorelai's adventurousness offended them, they undoubtedly see Rory as their second chance to lavish privilege and opportunity on someone who actually wants to make the most of it.

Ange
Town Resident

Community Points: 11

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2007, 02:02:49 pm »

i really love this episode it reall starts the bond between richard and rory...but i think it is a way for emily to make lorelai crazy i mean she knows it will bug her and does in spite of her! and i was really shocked to find that they had a good time even thought the begining was a little shaky it turned out to be a great outing! and i feel lorelai was just jealous becasue she does not want to feel replaced by her parents! she wants rory to herself to raise and does not want emily to interfear.
*Java Junkie*
Town Resident

Community Points: 29

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2007, 09:38:33 pm »

thats a good episode.not enough luke and lorelai though but I liked it.I loved the end when lorelai and rory make up,very sweet moment.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to: