GilmoreGirls.org Forum
January 24, 2022, 05:26:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Star  We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's best Gilmore Girls forum. The ORG Forum will be just that. Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster.  Star 

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
  Print  
Author Topic: 1.02 - The Lorelais' First Day at Chilton  (Read 74150 times)
Imy
Pretty Town Spinster

Community Points: 411

I'm the Literati geek!

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 06, 2007, 06:04:46 am »

wow I love this episode!!! sooooooo cool!!
Lorelai's outfit is amazing!!! Lorelai-that's it i'm bringing the baby pictures- Rory-i love the rodeo, the rodeo rules!!!
Tristin is sooo wierd-mary!!!

Imogen~Literati~M.M.M~Java Junkie~Foodie

I'm the Old school music gal! lol Jim!
Do you have a Crazy Corner Emily?! lol
HollowStar
Town Resident

Community Points: 24

There are no flowers, no not this time.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: June 25, 2007, 06:07:05 pm »

Lorelai looks so hot in this episode.  I like her better in her casual outfits than her Inn attire.

I think she could easily gotten out of taking her coat off, though.  She could have said something like "I woke up late and therefore didn't have time to dress myself appropriately so I'd really prefer to keep my coat on, but thank you."  I guess that would have ruined a prime Emily-disappointment moment, though, wouldn't it?   :Smiley

I will let you down.  I will make you hurt.  What have I become?
gilmore2972
Town Resident

Community Points: 3

Gilmore Girls isn't just a show, it's a life style

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 19, 2007, 11:10:37 am »

I think this is one of the episodes where the bad emily comes out
CathyCoffee
Diner Regular

Community Points: 169

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 28, 2007, 05:48:43 pm »

I'm watching it right now, and it seems different.
More on it later!

love is blind so you didn't see me.
lessa
Diner Chef

Community Points: 286

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 28, 2007, 06:19:26 pm »

I'd forgotten how petty Emily came off in the scene with the Headmaster. But that crack about the horse tethered outside seemed like something she wouldn't say in front of the headmaster. *snort, seems she and Rory were on the same page about it, though!

I wondered why they changed Kirk's name, too. Maybe Mick was the first draft of the guy who behaved just like Luke used to, and they had to change the character because he was just too good as a townie.

Lucie
Inn Owner

Community Points: 947

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 28, 2007, 06:48:05 pm »

Well yet another fantastic episode!
Lorelai: The fuzzy clock was priceless. It was soo 'Lorelai' I loved it. And when she decided not to date Ian because he was a Chilton dad, all I could think is: Which is worse, a Chilton dad or a Chilton teacher...but that's getting ahead. I loved when Rory and Lorelai walked into the office, and the lady lifted her head up...and then Lorelai says "See that's what happens when you go to bed with your make-up on." I crack up at that line every time.

Rory: I thought she held herself together very well for such an awful first day of school. I laugh everytime I hear Tristan call her Rory, because last year, someone called me that, and all I could think of was Gilmore Girls, I thought it was pretty funny.

Sookie: A classic Sookie/Jackson spat. I absolutely love when she rolls the peach on the floor, claiming that it rolls differently. I also find it funny how Jackson gets aggravated, and Lorelai and Sookie keep talking as if nothing is wrong.

Luke: He was happy Lorelai denied the Chilton dad..how sweet!

Paris: Right off we know this girl is serious about school, I mean water in a moat... can you say overachiever? I wonder how Paris bribed the girl who was working in the office to give her Rory's file...or maybe the girl was just worried what would happen if she didn't give Paris the file.

Ok well that's all for now.

~Shelby

I'm Shelby Cheesy
ILY Zija + Mel + Amber + Spencer + Maggie!

honkifuluvGG
Pretty Town Spinster

Community Points: 1944

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 28, 2007, 07:21:33 pm »

Well I agree Shelby. Definately a fantastic episode!!!  Your post includes a lot of what I was going to say.

I too love the fuzzy clock.  It is such a continued theme in the Girls' personality throughout the entire series.  And I think even moreso, just another way in which it demonstrates that Lorelai will take any path available to show she is different from her parents.  Including her dress sense.  I mean this episode was great in bringing about nearly everybody commenting on her attire for the drop off.  Yet had she not been taking Rory to Chilton, it would have been accepted by all bar Emily.

Another good point about who she should date.  I think she showed great restraint in not dating Ian, and well I guess she tried with max, but perhaps the attraction was a lot stronger.  I mean they were almost married.  But again, it's interesting to see the earlier eps and then view them differently when you know what happens down the track.  I love the part after Lorelai gets hit on by Ian though and Rory says "You're feeling pretty good about yourself right now aren't you!  Lorelai:  I am  Rory:  Would you like me to get you a mirror?  Lorelai: And I'm back!  LOL  too funny.

I love the Sookie and Jackson interaction - it's so well done.  I love the way Jackson just keeps talking and talking and everything gets backed up by Lorelai when she arrives and he assume conspiracy LOL.  And I love that the bowling of the peach not only occurs, but occurs in a manor that tells you she does this regularly to test the quality of the peach LMAO.  This appeals to my sense of humour immensely and I love to see this scene.  Even though I know there are others that like to watch the bowling scene for different reasons *cough* conrad *cough* Cheesy

Luke:  Yay he was jealous.  How can people not think they were meant for each other right from the start.  I love the subtle glances that occur as this conversation takes place.  And the fact that she gets her coffee for free - which you almost feel he does out of relief for her not dating the Old dad heehee.

Paris:   Again I found myself watching all the Paris scenes with great enthusiasm because she's a fave.  But I also noticed Madeline and Louise a lot more also.  Madeline was great when they are outside the office.  Every two seconds she chimed in with great lines.  And yes the showdown of epic proportions had begun with this episode.

Other great parts of the episode:

Miss Patty: And cookie time (while she lights up and turns to berate Lorelai for inappropriate attire for a Chilton drop off)

Miss Patty: Keep you leotards on....this is not Brazil

Drella:   That's lunch - the way she says it is in such stark contrast to the harp playing LOL

Lorelai: We like our internet slow!

More later... Kiss

« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 10:15:32 pm by honkifuluvGG » Logged

Please read Forum Rules
wmushell
Diner Waitress

Community Points: 950

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 28, 2007, 07:37:40 pm »

What a wonderful episode.  The first fifteenish minutes - the whole getting up late and wearing the "rodeo" outfit was so brilliantly played!!!  Lauren is hilarious in her panicked realization of oversleeping - I really felt like she was just coming awake and getting up to speed!  Alexis does the "time watching" as a nervous, responsible girl who just wants to get to her new school perfectly.  The rodeo rules!!   Cheesy

What a cool picture it is when both of the girls tilt their heads looking out the Jeep's window!  I'm so glad it becomes an icon in the opening credits.  Every time I watch this epi I think of when Rory graduates from Chilton and Lorelai makes her look around and says that it doesn't seem so scary any more.

Love that Lorelai gets hit on right away by a dad!!!  That's my girl!  Nod   Wink

The whole meeting at Headmaster's office was classic.  I was with my mom the first time she saw this episode and she actually yelled at the tv, "Don't take off your coat!"  LOL!  I think Emily's comment was very Emily.  She is not above cutting Lorelai down in front of others throughout the series as it absolves her of responsiblity of her daughter's actions due to her obvious disapproval.

Relationships - a - go go!!!!

*The first time we see Sookie and Jackson and their battle for the perfect produce!  I love how this relationship plays out.  And Sookie rolling the peach is soooo Sookie!

* Luke and Lorelai -- already with the flirting!!!   Wink  He's all jealous because of the Chilton dad.  And Lorelai wondering about him at the end to Rory.  Their coffee banter is classic and a true staple in the series.  

* Paris and Rory - the epic rivalry begins!!!  What a great start - this also proves to work throughout the series!  Lots of groundwork laid in this episode!!!

* Lorelai and Emily - so the control for Rory begins!!!  Both Emily and Lorelai are so sharp-witted that their exchanges are amazing.  I love how Lorelai takes control of the situation at the end.  "Have you not seen The Shining mom?"   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

* Lorelai and Rory - even though they were great in the pilot, their chemistry really steps it up in this epi.  The actors seem to really play off each other well and have a natural feel to their scenes.

Well - this is an epi I can watch over and over.  Drella and Michel are in full swing with their snarkiness.  Miss Patty rocks - her one-liners are fantastic.  Babbette and Morey make their debut "Kicking a gnome says a lot about a man's character".  

I think they didn't change Mick into Kirk.  I think Sean Gunn played Mick in this epi and ASP liked him and created our quirky Kirk!!!

More later!  BTW - I watched this with my best friend which is lovely as always.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 08:57:53 pm by wmushell » Logged

Lucie
Inn Owner

Community Points: 947

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 28, 2007, 07:51:44 pm »

Michelle, I was soo happy you mentioned the gnome thing. I just found it hilarious that Lorelai could keep a straight face through that. LOL!

I'm Shelby Cheesy
ILY Zija + Mel + Amber + Spencer + Maggie!

kamibeaR
Diner Chef

Community Points: 452

Elphaba, Elphie, Fabala, Fae

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 28, 2007, 07:55:04 pm »

You know what I had forgotten all about until tonight after watching the episode? The ending credits music. The one that they used for like the first 3 (or 4?) episodes for season 1. For some reason I liked that one better than what they used after.

Well, it was kind of neat go "go back" and watch the 2nd episode! Earlier today I watched an episode from season 5 and I can never get over how young Alexis Bledel looks! I definitely love the whole Lorelai looking "like the chick from the Dukes of Hazzard"/horse parked out front bits. My favorite.

The earlier episodes with Rory at Chilton have ALWAYS been my fave part of the series.

More to come.

*Kami*

"You know black, is this years pink!"

Sig by Laura.

Hearts Wicked and Twilight
Honourary Aussie
SPREE
Java Junkie
Narco/Headliner
bingbong
Town Selectman

Community Points: 1271

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 28, 2007, 08:35:02 pm »

Wow, this ep has already inspired so much great commentary from the GG Faithful!
Hope everyone is snarking Emily by wearing their spurs!  Grin

As has already been pointed out, we have the true beginning of The Battle for Rory’s Soul. Emily scored big in the opening round but Lorelai won decisively at the salon. It makes me think: If Emily was a typical grandma who simply wanted to dote on her granddaughter there might not be such a problem. But then, she would not be Emily the Control Freak.

I would like to ask a question: Exactly how did Madeline, Louise and Tristin get into Chilton? They were never anything more then indifferent students more interested in boys (and girls) and partying. The Headmaster proudly told Rory that Chilton “has one of the highest academic standards of any school in America.” Where do Lou, Mad & Tris fit in with that image? Possibly they were outstanding students prior to Chilton and after getting into the school let things slide... but i don’t know about that. The only other possibility i can think of is the power and influence of their families. But if that is the case, what does it say about Chilton’s supposedly high standards?  How much does money talk for entrance into Chilton?

We also saw glimpses of the Rory we fully came to know later. Her goal of following the example of Christiane Amanpour (as opposed to one of the women on ’The View’) took her through the entire series. There was the struggle to hold her own against the Chilton Brats. Despite her loooong hug of Lorelai at the end of the day, she managed to maintain her composure in the face of Paris and Tristin. I took this as an early sign of her surprising inner strength. And i love: .“...Wow. Biblical insults. This is an advanced school. “

I have long loved the sight of Lorelai scampering down the stairs in her pseudo-cowgirl outfit while Rory stands impatiently at the bottom of the stairs!

I also like that the Headmaster’s name is Hanlin Charleston and his wife is Bitty. What is with those Hartford names? Pennilyn Lott, Tweenie Halpurn, etc.

Smiley

Signature courtesy of SKFTEX
lessa
Diner Chef

Community Points: 286

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 28, 2007, 08:39:08 pm »

RORY: I wish I could figure out a way to get Paris off my back.

LORELAI: Yeah, angry chicks are the worst. When I was in high school I had a Paris.

RORY: Yeah?

LORELAI: Yeah, she was horrible.

RORY: How'd you get rid of her?

LORELAI: I got pregnant and dropped out.

RORY: What if I just learn to French braid her hair?

I loved the last scene. Lorelai goes on to offer to help Rory deal with mean kids, and Rory says she'll figure it out on her own... that's where she really won the battle for Rory's soul, by letting Rory do it. And I thought it was cute the way Luke waited until they went home to close shop. Awww...

honkifuluvGG
Pretty Town Spinster

Community Points: 1944

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 28, 2007, 10:37:30 pm »

I took this as an early sign of her surprising inner strength. And i love: .“...Wow. Biblical insults. This is an advanced school. “

I loved this line also.  It's a great little conversation that shows how close the girls are and that Lorelai can help Rory out when she feels out of her depth (with the whole private school thing).  It also shows that even though she feels these comments are meant as insults, Rory is switched on enough to make light of it.

RORY: I wish I could figure out a way to get Paris off my back.

LORELAI: Yeah, angry chicks are the worst. When I was in high school I had a Paris.

RORY: Yeah?

LORELAI: Yeah, she was horrible.

RORY: How'd you get rid of her?

LORELAI: I got pregnant and dropped out.

RORY: What if I just learn to French braid her hair?

I loved the last scene. Lorelai goes on to offer to help Rory deal with mean kids, and Rory says she'll figure it out on her own... that's where she really won the battle for Rory's soul, by letting Rory do it. And I thought it was cute the way Luke waited until they went home to close shop. Awww...

Great conversation also lessa.  I love how you saw the closing scene. I never thought of the possibility of Luke staying open in the hope that they would stop in there and have a coffee.  And then when he sees they are on their way home...closes up.  I just learned how to make caps and I made one of the closing scene because I think that is Stars Hollows best view...a fairy-lit diner.  Works for me Nod

Witness the pretty closing scene:

Please read Forum Rules
hottamale8
Town Resident

Community Points: 17

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 29, 2007, 12:12:16 pm »

This episode was great. Not too much drama as the later seasons got into, quirky, intelligent. It was great for getting people addicted.

also, HollowStar Johnny Cash "hurt" in your signature. Great man, great song.

April: It's like suck it New England!
bingbong
Town Selectman

Community Points: 1271

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 29, 2007, 12:34:15 pm »

I took this as an early sign of her surprising inner strength. And i love: .“...Wow. Biblical insults. This is an advanced school. “

I loved this line also.  It's a great little conversation that shows how close the girls are and that Lorelai can help Rory out when she feels out of her depth (with the whole private school thing).  It also shows that even though she feels these comments are meant as insults, Rory is switched on enough to make light of it.

Even if we had never seen this early episode before, we would already have hints that Rory has a tougher will then her deceptively passive personality indicates. We would already know how young Lorelai was when raising Rory and that they must have struggled to stay afloat. Rory would be someone who has dealt with worse difficulties than the taunts of her new classmates. We get a glimpse that she has learned from Lorelai how to roll with the punches, not take things too seriously, stick with it until it turns out ok. That’s why i can understand the way she grabs onto Lorelai at the end of the first brutal school day, but I can easily believe that she will shake it off and carry on. 

Signature courtesy of SKFTEX
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
  Print  

Jump to: