GilmoreGirls.org Forum
December 03, 2021, 02:17:48 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Star  Are you new to the ORG Forum?  Perhaps you're a longtime member.  Either way, read the Forum rules to stay informed on proper etiquette.  Cheerio!  Star

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22
  Print  
Author Topic: 1.01 - Pilot  (Read 221521 times)
Kaish15
Town Resident

Community Points: 21

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: September 17, 2007, 05:40:48 pm »

Yes. They are married. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0235092/bio It says on here. I had no clue they were married before today!

Shocked OMG!!! I just looked at the link and he graduated from Kentridge HS. That is about 15 minutes away from my house and is a rival of the high school I graduated from. I spent a lot of time at Kentridge for sport games. This is real cool. Anytime I hear of a well known person graduating from one of the four Kent schools I freak out. Just really cool to think that someone with a well known name came from the town of Kent, Washington and it's surrounding area.

homegrown_bliss
Stars Hollow High Student

Community Points: 56

do they make flasks for hot beverages?

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: September 22, 2007, 08:48:23 am »

the first episode of the greatest and intelligent TV dramedy series ever.

*-_anne_-*
gilmorefriend
Official Gilmore Girl

Community Points: 1354

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: October 08, 2007, 10:24:42 pm »

Kaish15- wow, that's awesome!
DS: If you could change one thing about this episode, what would you change?

THIS ACCOUNT IS SO OLD BUT I DON'T HAVE THE HEART TO DELETE IT PRETEND I DON'T EXIST
LoveMe011
Chilton Graduate

Community Points: 104

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: October 15, 2007, 01:07:24 pm »

i think this pilot episode is incredibly well written and well executed, especially given the fact that the show was brand new. the opening scene where lorelai walks through stars hollow on her way to lukes is important because it gives the viewers a peek into the small-town charm that stars hollow is known for. also, her pleading with luke for a cup of coffee illustrates one of the quirks of the show, which is lorelai and rory's obsession with coffee. the scene where the young man comes in and tries to hit on lorelai and tries again with rory when she enters is perfect for showing the viewer that lorelai and rory not only LOOK more like sisters than mother and daughter, but they also have more of a sisterly relationship than a mother-daughter one. when lorelai realizes what she is going to have to do in order to pay rory's enrollment fee and first semester's tuition, her actions illustrate that she will stop at nothing to make sure rory gets the best education possible. i love the scene where lorelai actually arrives at her parents' house because as soon as emily opens the door the viewer gets a taste of what her character is going to be like throughout the series. the same goes for richard's character. the friendship between rory and lane is also brought to light in this episode and the viewer is able to quickly recognize each character that will play a vital part in the show. when a pilot episode is this well thought out and gives the viewer such a great amount of insight into what the future of the show has to offer as this one does, you KNOW the show is definitely going to be worth watching.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 11:27:06 am by LoveMe011 » Logged

[Cassy]
-Literati.
-Java Junkie.

Rory:I love you, mom.
Lorelai:Aw...kid, you have no idea.
superstarmonkey
Town Troubadour

Community Points: 37

View Profile WWW
« Reply #289 on: October 22, 2007, 01:17:04 am »

I missed the pilot and didn't see it until I got the season 1 dvd's last year. It's a great pilot and does really well in introducing the town, the characters and their situations. It feels a lot more slower-paced and chilled out compared to the the rest of the series! I think that Dean looks a bit like a stalker when we first see him, leaning up against the wall, mouth slightly open, and gazing a Rory. *shudder* But then when we next see him he's not at all like that and is really sweet and lovely. Huh 

Thanks to honkifuluvGG for the signature
violaplayer1234
Town Selectman

Community Points: 325

Smile like you mean it.

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: October 22, 2007, 08:11:35 pm »

Back to the beginning.  The Pilot.  The first episode to ever be filmed or aired of Gilmore Girls.  And what a great one it is.  Many many pilots of shows are too informative and don't focus on being witty or funny.  Gilmore Girls combines both.  I'll go by character.

Lorelai--The first character we see.  She seems interesting, seems to have a lot of emotional baggage and is strangely addicted to coffee.  And she and that diner guy, Duke, Luke?  Do they have something going on? 

Hah.  This episode highlights the reasons why Lorelai is who she is.  We find out that she got pregnant at 16 and assumedly dropped out of school to raise her daughter.  I had forgotten how many great lines she used to have.  The whole opening scene with her and Luke was completely amazing, the dialogue that sets the stage for what will become the main relationship of the show.

Rory--I think she likes that boy, Dean is it?  And he likes her, although that whole "I've been watching you" thing was slightly creepy.  Even though he said it wasn't, it still was.

Rory is smart and driven, we can see that in the shot of them in class.  She's starting this new school, so excited...she still seems older than 16 here though...  And how did she still do so well not participating in gym?  Isn't that still part of a grade? 

Lane--We hear the referance of parents by her.  Note the s.  So what happened to her dad?  It's an ongoing mystery throughout all 153 episodes.  Her mom is so strict, but Rory was outright rude to her.  She basically snarked back at Mrs. Kim when she was talking about the pregnant girls.  And Mrs. Kim doesn't seem to hate Rory in the other episodes as much as she seemed to in this one...but maybe Mrs. Kim makes some realizations too.  Poor Lane though, yet another Korean doctor. 

Luke--We surprisingly don't see a lot of him in this episode.  He's only in a few scenes, but maybe AS-P didn't know if she was going to make him a major character or not.  I'm glad she did, but that's just me.  His diner has all the hardware stuff in it, it was a nice touch for the first episode, they should've kept some of it, it made it more reminisicant of a hardware store.

Emily and Richard--Well, I hate how Emily always looks about 20 years older in this episode than in any other.  And the Gilmore house seems a lot darker and more foreboding in this episode, all the dark and dreary paintings about the walls.  And maybe it's slightly symbolic of the gloominess that gets somewhat shoved into the corner when Rory and Lorelai start to visit more and have a better relationship with them...but maybe not.

Sookie--She's very very very clumsy here.  I suppose once she starts having kids she needs to be a little more careful and she might've outgrown it, but still, there were so many accidents!  She's very sweet though, a great friend to Lorelai, and you can see all the rough edges that will be worn smooth over the years as she developes.

Dean--I had honestly forgotten he came from Chicago, that he was new...by season 4 they make him seem like a regular to Stars Hollow.  And he was a lot smarter in this episode than they make him out to be, especially when he's fighting with Jess.  Because, I LOVE Jess, you must understand that, I loved Jess, but when Dean came into episodes with Jess they made Dean seem like an idiot because they had to make Jess seem smarter...but here he could talk with Rory and know what she was talking about...he was still slightly creepy though.

Michel--He really does not change.  I must remember that, he has always been snarky and mean, and nothing really changes.

Drella--She's very funny, and it's too bad they took her out, however, I'm glad Melissa McCarthy got Sookie's role. 
Other notes:

The different sets really bother me.  They shouldn't.  But they do.
So many great lines.  "What holidays are in September?"  "People are being particularily stupid today, I can't take anymore of them."  "I'm going to be in a Britney Spears video."  "Education is the most important thing, next to family." 'And pie.'  It's all so wonderful.
This doesn't have a lot to analyze, as it is still a set up episode.  We can analyze characters.
The music in this episode was wonderful, so many great songs.  They always have good music, but this had a wonderful amount and mixture.

But a wonderful starting episode.  Question: All of the first episodes are generally called Pilot, so what do you think this episode might have been called had they decided to give it an actual title?

Literati~~BalconyBuddy~~Teacher's Pet

Grace Cheesy

"While we're on the subject could we change the subject now?"
Ange
Town Resident

Community Points: 11

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: November 02, 2007, 02:10:46 pm »

well i never saw the pilot until i bought it and i had already seen a lot of the episodes. but after i watched it i really think it gave the show a good theme and i already knew i was going to love all the characters more than i did Smiley.
the_real_paul_anka
« Reply #292 on: November 03, 2007, 07:57:26 pm »

Grace- That is the most amazing description of the characters and the episode I have ever read. I am going to have to think about a real title for the Pilot.

Personally, the Pilot is my favorite. I love the information that you're given. In that short hour, you learn so much about Lorelai and her little family. We are introduced to the people who keep her in running order. I love the portrayal of Sookie. It basically sums her up in about 2 minutes. She's quirky, but SO loving. Even from that very first encounter at the diner, I could tell that Luke had a little somethin somethin for Lorelai. They have the most hilarious relationship..all of these amazing little moments make up a great base for the following 152 epis.
bingbong
Town Selectman

Community Points: 1271

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: November 03, 2007, 08:10:30 pm »

All the basic ingredients were right here in the first episode: the coffee, the speed-talking, Luke eyeballing Lorelai, Lorelai and Rory's rapport, Emily's attitude, the quirky Star's Hollow peeps. ASP had it down right from the start!

Signature courtesy of SKFTEX
*Java Junkie*
Town Resident

Community Points: 29

View Profile WWW
« Reply #294 on: November 04, 2007, 01:14:09 am »

All the basic ingredients were right here in the first episode: the coffee, the speed-talking, Luke eyeballing Lorelai, Lorelai and Rory's rapport, Emily's attitude, the quirky Star's Hollow peeps. ASP had it down right from the start!

I agree.

the pilot is actually one of my favorite episode.very well written,humour,intelligence.this show had it all from the start.ASP could not go wrong with that material.

Kaish15
Town Resident

Community Points: 21

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: November 04, 2007, 11:51:00 pm »

Question: All of the first episodes are generally called Pilot, so what do you think this episode might have been called had they decided to give it an actual title?

Ooh, good question. I would have titled it something to do with Rory getting into Chilton, but that's all I can come up with. Titles and names are not my strong point.

*Java Junkie*
Town Resident

Community Points: 29

View Profile WWW
« Reply #296 on: November 05, 2007, 04:37:23 am »

Good question but I'm not that good with title either.

Tucker
Town Resident

Community Points: 22

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: November 06, 2007, 01:40:09 am »

The name would definately have to have something to do with the beginning of Friday night Dinners. Considering they lasted throughout pretty much the whole show.

Seni
Town Selectman

Community Points: 594

Literati forever

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: November 06, 2007, 08:42:53 am »

I think it should be something about Stars Hollow. Every time I try to think about a "name" for this episode the last scene comes into my head, lol. Maybe something to do with Luke's?

Any other thoughts?

Grey's Anatomy - McLove
-Me and Amber never stop eating - Betty when you call me, you can call me Al-
-The Lit Who Couldn't Decide-
GilmoreAddict7899
Diner Chef

Community Points: 399

in Omnia Paratus...

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: November 06, 2007, 09:28:15 am »

I think it should be something about Stars Hollow. Every time I try to think about a "name" for this episode the last scene comes into my head, lol. Maybe something to do with Luke's?

Any other thoughts?

maybe a title could be "Like Mother, Like Daughter"

Java Junkie-Litliner.....Kim =)
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22
  Print  

Jump to: