GilmoreGirls.org Forum
June 29, 2022, 11:56:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Star  Are you new to the ORG Forum?  Perhaps you're a longtime member.  Either way, read the Forum rules to stay informed on proper etiquette.  Cheerio!  Star

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 22
  Print  
Author Topic: 1.01 - Pilot  (Read 237233 times)
MasBYUgal
Inn Concierge

Community Points: 595

Org Awards : Best Sig Creator '06 & '07

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: August 23, 2007, 03:04:48 pm »

Luke:  Health nut!  Notice he wears a dress shirt in this episode. He seems a lot more classy than how causual and rustic he become overtime. I think they are consistent with his healthy tendencies, but he doesn't continue to harp the 'girls' as much.
This cracks me up because Luke talks healthy but the food he serves in the diner often looks like greasy slop to me, loaded with fat and cholesterol. It might taste yummy but it will sit lodged in Lorelai's and Rory's arteries for many years to come. Looking at it that way, you can say Lorelai will always carry a piece of Luke inside her.  Wink

ROFL!  So true, I almost said something about the food.  Come to think of it, I think I can count on one hand how many times we've seen Luke eat ... makes you wonder.  (OK that's an exageration more I think about it, but...)

Drella & Michel:  Smiley  LOL!  That would have been cute, but I don't it would have lasted long.  They are both too selfish to be able to care about someone else for so long.  I could see her character walking off the job, but the idea of her being fired for her attitude, wouldn't give into consideration Michel.  Wink  That brings up the idea of how much do you tolerate someone who is great at their job, but a pain in the arse?  Is it worth the battle?
That's a good point about Michel not getting the axe for his behavior. Maybe he is considered indispensible to the business with his so-called expertise; i recall in at least one episode he mentioned taking some kind of hotel or inn management course. Ok, this is a stretch, i admit it! If i was his boss, he would either have to adjust the 'tude or seek employment elsewhere. For Drella, it could be that the inn did not need a harp player full-time. How much harp can an inn have before it's time to move on to something else? I would love to see Drella play for the Emily's DAR group. It would be a major Snark Fest.
Maybe Michel's attitude is tolerated because (please don't shoot me for this) he's French!  Maybe part of it is based on the American stereotype for those from France.  And it brings up the ?, is he really good at his job?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 03:05:51 pm by MasBYUgal » Logged

I'm Melissa.

Just say, "Yes, M.A.M.M. !"
/Member of Queen B
Sooks
Inn Bellhop

Community Points: 1464

Life is Beautiful ~N. Sixx

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: August 23, 2007, 03:08:27 pm »

Ahhhh...as I watched this episode again, it reminded me of how I fell in love with this amazing show!

I grabbed a glass of water in a coffe cup, some nachos, and a box of kleenex...yes, kleenex because I just knew in the back of my mind that I would need them. And indeed, I did.

This revisiting, rewatching has a great deal of meaning to me. I wasn't into Gilmore Girls when it first started airing and didn't really get into to until the third season, so I didn't see the pilot when it first aired. I since then, have seen it numerous times and for some reason, it is one of my favorite episodes. So much happens within the episode that you really get pulled into what IS Stars Hallow, who ARE Lorelai and Rory (and Luke, Miss Patty, Lane, Sookie, Dean...) and you're drawn to sit there in anticipation of the next week's episode. There's only been a few other shows that I've felt close to that way about, one being Heroes.

As I watched the episode, knowing that others were watching it at the same time as I was, I really let it sink in. It was SO COOL, no only to know that others were watching the same episode at the same time as I was and they were members of the ORG, but also to really take a different look at the episode.

I wanted to look at it as though I hadn't seen the show before. I wanted to try to get back that anticipation feeling that I once had when seeing a new episode. I wanted to get back that "innocence" if you will, to the whole show and the characters. I wanted to see if this time I found anything new about it, if I fell in love with the same characters, if I got mad at the same parts or laughed at the same time as I had time and time again.

Much to my amazement for most of it, I did. I laughed when I normally laugh, I got frustrated when I have. BUT, I saw different sides to the characters that I hadn't before. I really made every effort to look at things as unbais as I could and tried to see how I could have come out different on this, where my love for GG is. And while I know that I would have loved the show just as much if not more. I love it for so many different reasons already, and it's just the first episdoe!

As far as the thoughts about the episode (that's right, that's why we're here right?! ha!) I must say that I have to agree with Caryn, in her thought about Dean. When I first remember Dean, I thought he's great! He's got something special. This time, I'm thinking that he absolutely does have something special, but he loses it throughout the next couple years. I wish he would have stayed the same. I really enjoyed seeing him, in his new to town, I've been watching you in a non-stalker kind of way. He's great in this episode. I just really started thinking about how he just doesn't keep it! But that's neither here nor there right now.

I love the line "When are you going to tell you mom that you listen to the evil rock music?" And then Lane's innocence and youngness at this point. I love how she's trying to become her own and hold her own while living with the family she lives with. I have really felt a fresh new bond starting with Lane and I this time. Being that we're both from Korea, I already had but this time it's even stronger - I can tell. She's trying to make her own way, pave her own road, and be different, something I can all too clearly remember myself doing at that age!

And Sookie, ya gotta love Sookie in all her glory and clumsiness! I thought that maybe this time around, I would try to pay attention to if I really did like her as much as I thought I did. And I do! I love Sookie, even more so than before perhaps. She's just so carefree and happy and just makes me smile even thinking about her!

Emily and Richard - how young they look in this episode! HA! I think they have changed a LOT in the last 7 seasons! I think that they have come a long way with their characater development, their interaction with Lorelai and I think that I really like their characters a lot more than I thought I did. I paid a lot closer attention to them this time...and I can't wait to have different thoughts about them as we view further episodes together!

I realized how so very realistic this show is. How the things that Rory is feeling about finding a 'boy' and wanting to stay at Stars Hallow High, about how she acts during that whole argument, about how Lorelai acts with her parents when asking for money. The whole thing, it's like watching a family interact on all sorts of various levels. I love that about this show but watching the pilot again really hit that home...how very realistic this show is and that's a great deal of why I love it so.

I shall end this rambling post but wanted to say a few quick comments back to people before I do...

Jimbong Wink I thought of you and smiled during the line "and pie" Tongue You make me smile anyway...but knew that you'd point something out about that line! (I owe you a PM, and it's coming!)

Melissa I completely agree about the set lighting and had just thought "I like the lighter feel of the mood and screen" when re-watching the episode one more time before tonight. I wish that the lighter feel would have stayed a bit more. I have to agree!

GilmoreAddict forgive me as I don't remember your first name, if you've given it. I feel bad! I too love the first scene of the show, but this time, I really loved the opening with Lorelai actually walking to Luke's and the song playing. I hadn't noticed that as much as I did this time. I love the Luke/ Lorelai exchange. However, I wanted this time to notice other things about the first five minutes of the show and I think it was successful.

I love the discussion that is taking place here! It's great to re-think things and hear how other people feel about the episode - how looking back can be different but good and refreshing. I sometime want to compare the thoughts with the first time seeing the episode to now (within the post), I think that would be fun and very interesting. I'd like to see what stayed the same and changed.

I'm sure I'll return and am so looking forward to these episode threads being more active again! I can definitely see coming back to them even after we've watched ahead again. Great discussion and thoughts everyone!

Cheers~
Juggle

Please read the Forum Rules and enjoy~
~NO DAY BUT TODAY~
bingbong
Town Selectman

Community Points: 1271

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: August 23, 2007, 03:51:57 pm »

Maybe Michel's attitude is tolerated because (please don't shoot me for this) he's French!  Maybe part of it is based on the American stereotype for those from France.  And it brings up the ?, is he really good at his job?

Michel seems like someone who is good at the administrative aspect of the job. But the job requires people skills and he stinks in that area. Would anyone want to call the inn for a reservation and deal with him on the phone? Not me. At best, his phone personality would be tolerable to a customer. At worst, the inn would lose lots of business.

'Bout time Sooks chimed in!  Wink  I love your take on the show for its realism. I love how Rory & Lane come across as typical teenagers, not Hollywood Barbie dolls, but actual people who seem familiar to us. I think that kind of credibility was huge in connecting with viewers. Ditto on Lorelai, and right from the gitgo we see her in job mode, mom mode and daughter mode when dealing with E & R (which must feel to her like visiting an E.R.).

I love that we're all talking about the episodes, which is after all the core of the whole thing.
 Smiley

Signature courtesy of SKFTEX
lessa
Diner Chef

Community Points: 286

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: August 23, 2007, 05:02:47 pm »

I always figured Michel's attitude towards customers was the reason he was working at a picturesque inn on the outskirts of North Podunk instead of the Waldorf-Hartford or something. Michel provided the appearance of austerity and snobbery that tourists find so appealing and Sookie supplied the substance that kept them coming back. Michel is like Lorelai's inner compass for Emily-like taste.

Drella getting fired? Nah, she was first alternate to the NY Philharmonic.

I liked the way Lane was introduced, too, right out of the gate she's lying and keeping secrets, but it's immediately balanced by her parents trying to arrange her marriage.

Heh, and I think I've finally figured out why Paris isn't in the last episode.

Sooks
Inn Bellhop

Community Points: 1464

Life is Beautiful ~N. Sixx

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: August 24, 2007, 09:25:07 pm »

I love your comment about Michel, Lessa! Tongue Your words are so perfect!

I must say that I love harpist! She's got to be one of my favorite 'non-main' character! She's classic. "Did you not want a great harp player?" She makes me laugh! "Well, I am a great harp player and this is my great harp!" Spoken like a true bi...well, nevermind.

This time around, I'm also trying to pay more attention to the smaller roles and those characters that I didn't like the past. Perhaps there's a reason?! We'll just have to see...

Please read the Forum Rules and enjoy~
~NO DAY BUT TODAY~
honkifuluvGG
Pretty Town Spinster

Community Points: 1944

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: August 26, 2007, 06:41:39 pm »

I must say that I love harpist! She's got to be one of my favorite 'non-main' character! She's classic. "Did you not want a great harp player?" She makes me laugh! "Well, I am a great harp player and this is my great harp!" Spoken like a true bi...well, nevermind.

This time around, I'm also trying to pay more attention to the smaller roles and those characters that I didn't like the past. Perhaps there's a reason?! We'll just have to see...

That line of Drella's also makes me laugh aloud everytime Mel.  She is just a fantastic character.  I wish we had seen more of her.  Even a return appearance for the opening of the Dragonfly would have been great.  I mean she is married to Jackson in real life, so she would have still been connected to the show.

I am also finding that with viewing this episode with the intention of having discussion about it this time around, that I'm paying so much more attention to the backgrounds and lesser characters.  I'm not sure if I am being analytical for discussion purposes, or if it's nostalgia watching it again now that it's all over.  (I have of course watch a gazillion episodes since it's end, but not in this vain.)

Please read Forum Rules
bingbong
Town Selectman

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: August 26, 2007, 07:16:37 pm »

I hope i didn't miss anything, but i don't think anyone has pointed out that Alex Borstein, besides playing Drella, also played the celebrity fashion advisor Miss Celine. Dang, Alex is good!

honkifuluvGG
Pretty Town Spinster

Community Points: 1944

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: August 26, 2007, 07:36:46 pm »

Yep I think we've have discussed that in the episodes that Miss Seline appears in.  And she does an absolutely marvellous job yet again.  But for me, you can't beat the acid tongued quips that are delivered by characters like Drella and Paris and Michel and on occasion Lorelai.  I love those moments.

Please read Forum Rules
bingbong
Town Selectman

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: August 26, 2007, 07:45:23 pm »

There are a lot of acid tongued characters on GG. I would add Emily, Mrs. Kim, Gran and Gypsy to your list. Probably others i can't think of at the moment.  For Lorelai, i think she is a little different in that she spews her acid more in response to the acid of others, rather than initiating the acid spewing. Wow, that's a lot of acid.  Wink

MasBYUgal
Inn Concierge

Community Points: 595

Org Awards : Best Sig Creator '06 & '07

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: August 26, 2007, 10:48:18 pm »

I hope i didn't miss anything, but i don't think anyone has pointed out that Alex Borstein, besides playing Drella, also played the celebrity fashion advisor Miss Celine. Dang, Alex is good!

WOW!  I never would have noticed that is someone, like you Jim, hadn't pointed that out!  Miss Celine is such a stylized -almost sketch- of a character, I never NEVER noticed that!  Wow!  I will now have to back and compare the 2 episodes!

I'm Melissa.

Just say, "Yes, M.A.M.M. !"
/Member of Queen B
hottamale8
Town Resident

Community Points: 17

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: August 27, 2007, 11:41:14 am »

wait...Jackson and Drella/Miss Celine are married in real life??

no way!

April: It's like suck it New England!
gilmorefriend
Official Gilmore Girl

Community Points: 1354

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: August 27, 2007, 11:43:02 am »

Yes. They are married. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0235092/bio It says on here. I had no clue they were married before today!

THIS ACCOUNT IS SO OLD BUT I DON'T HAVE THE HEART TO DELETE IT PRETEND I DON'T EXIST
hottamale8
Town Resident

Community Points: 17

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: August 27, 2007, 11:48:33 am »

so she's in slacker cats too?

does anyone even watch that?

April: It's like suck it New England!
gilmore2972
Town Resident

Community Points: 3

Gilmore Girls isn't just a show, it's a life style