GilmoreGirls.org Forum
May 28, 2022, 11:08:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Star  Are you new to the ORG Forum?  Perhaps you're a longtime member.  Either way, read the Forum rules to stay informed on proper etiquette.  Cheerio!  Star

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Should they make a Gilmore Girls movie?
Yes
No

Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138
  Print  
Author Topic: Movie Thread  (Read 569823 times)
dancer1012
Town Elder

Community Points: 528

I'm in LOVE with Edward Cullen <3

View Profile
« Reply #2040 on: January 15, 2009, 08:28:57 pm »

To be honest I wouldn't mind giving the books a shot. It's not my genre but I have heard good things. But the movie was poor. Still should appeal to the hardcore but not going to win any awards!

And because its based on a "teenage dark romance" series its not good enough? Why?

Um no, because it's a bad movie with sh*t acting. I didn't say any of the words you're trying to put in my mouth there.
I wasn't putting words in your mouth, so don't try to put them in mine.
And just because you thought the acting was bad doesn't mean that the rest of the world does.

Hot Topic should not be brought into this conversation it has nothing to do with this at all. Let me just ask, what is "Goth" music? Linkin Park, Paramore, My Chemical Romance, what? This as well falls under the whole stero-type thing. My friends could very easily be put into this category, does that make them bad people? I go to Hot Topic all of the time, and it is so much more than "that GOTH store." And I'm not "goth" I wear bright colors and such. I'm not goth in the least bit. There is nothing wrong with being gothic. And there is no connection between the stero-type and the Twilight series OR the movie.

I agree with this, my friend describes herself as a goth and she has no interest in Twilight. And she is not into the stereotypical 'goth music' that you listed above. I've been called a goth before, and trust me. I am nothing like the stereotype either!! We live in England, so we have no idea what Hot Topic is. All the girls I know who like Twilight are the complete opposite of goths! The most obsessive fan I know always seems to wear brightly coloured party dresses and her favourite band are N.E.R.D.

There is a real issue with goth prejudice in England at the moment and it's so weird, because my friend isn't really that much like the stereotype. Just goes to show that you can't pigeonhole everyone Nod
Thank you.

Okay I'm sorry for jumping in to the middle of the Twilight bashing fest, but I'm going to say what I think.
And I'm sorry this is coming from someone who absolutely LOVES the whole Twilight series and the movie. From someone who has all four books, has a sweatshirt, a bag, the soundtrack and a poster. (And three of those things came from Hot Topic.) From a girl who loves many different series "The House Of Night" "Vampire Academy" and "Glass Houses"
Yeah I read the books and the word pathetic comes to mind. I mean god bloody hell the are so wrong. I just can't even explain that one. I will admit I did like the little part dealing with The Love Triangle in the book but after that I was SO done. But psh! Like hell they are the next Harry Potter. Nothing I repeat nothing will ever live up to Harry Potter. I personally think that Paris would have a dark secret love for the books though and Rory and Dean wouldn't even bother with such rubbish.
This is LOW. Very low. This series could very well be the next Harry Potter, and so what? For all of those people who didn't like Harry Potter this is their series and their time. Why not just leave it at that?

Ok sweetie obcessed much? You own how much Twilight crap? That is not healthy I would have to say. And how is that LOW as you say? My opinion is that it could never compare to Harry Potter. I know you would like to dream it is going to be the next Harry Potter and all but whatever. You can dream. If certain people want this to be their own fickle version of Harry Potter more power to them but it will not be mine and I shall state my opinion. So why don't we leave it that eh?
Yes I am obsessed and I'm proud to say that I am and I will stand up for Stephanie Meyers work and the movie. Part of this comment I must say has crossed the line of debating the movie, I am perfectly healthy and I am perfectly sane, THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
Well, it maybe a thought in my head that it could very well be the next Harry Potter, but I can assure you that I am NOT the only one.

*~*Mary*~*
Darling & I + ebay=dying of laughter
<3 In love..
ImAGilmoreGirl
Official Gilmore Girl

Community Points: 1248

P!nk concert; a night to remember.

View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: January 16, 2009, 12:45:28 am »

I'm going to butt in and just this once, because honestly this is getting way over the top.
If you don't like a movie, just say you don't like it and leave it at that. you don't need to explain [unless asked] what parts you don't like about it etc.
I'm also with Mary on this one, i'm a huge Twilight fan, i'm reading the books and i've seen the movie multiple times; however if you ever asked me about Harry Potter i'd basically say "huh" because it didn't interest me, but i don't go around saying Harry Potter was crap, because thats just my thought against the movies/books.

Now please just let this end here, fine, we heard you, you don't like Twilight, you think the storyline was crap, the movie was crap, deal with it, there is more than just you two or three people out there who actually DO like the movie.

Pretty pretty please don't you ever ever feel like you're less than fucKin perfect, pretty pretty please if you ever ever feel like you're nothing; you're fucKin perfect to me ♥

Zachery Walker born 12.10.10
pwrofluv
Diner Regular

Community Points: 27

When McDonald's hits Africa...:)

View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: January 19, 2009, 01:51:53 pm »

I'm going to butt in and just this once, because honestly this is getting way over the top.
If you don't like a movie, just say you don't like it and leave it at that. you don't need to explain [unless asked] what parts you don't like about it etc.
I'm also with Mary on this one, i'm a huge Twilight fan, i'm reading the books and i've seen the movie multiple times; however if you ever asked me about Harry Potter i'd basically say "huh" because it didn't interest me, but i don't go around saying Harry Potter was crap, because thats just my thought against the movies/books.

Now please just let this end here, fine, we heard you, you don't like Twilight, you think the storyline was crap, the movie was crap, deal with it, there is more than just you two or three people out there who actually DO like the movie.

yeah, i think your right about that.

has anyone seen "the curious case of benjamin buttons"?

kamibeaR
Diner Chef

Community Points: 452

Elphaba, Elphie, Fabala, Fae

View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: January 19, 2009, 04:41:22 pm »

has anyone seen "the curious case of benjamin buttons"?
Yeah! I really enjoyed it. From what I've read, overall it seems to be quite loved. Some complaints are scenes that seemed too long, but I had no problem with those. I was completely into the whole thing and it honestly didn't feel like a 3 hour film. I definitely loved the makeup effects and they did well with the different stages of Benjamin. I knew it would be depressing but wow. Sad

Another powerful one is Slumdog Millionaire. In-friggin-credible movie. I saw that just a few weeks ago and was amazed. I hadn't heard of it until my friend mentioned wanting to see it, so we went. It's definitely one of the most moving films I've seen and quite a tearjerker at that. It stuck with me the entire weekend (I saw it on a Thursday) and I still think about it. I just blanked on the actors name, but Jamal is so damn cute. Smitten

EDIT: He's Dev Patel!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 04:46:29 pm by kamibeaR » Logged

*Kami*

"You know black, is this years pink!"

Sig by Laura.

Hearts Wicked and Twilight
Honourary Aussie
SPREE
Java Junkie
Narco/Headliner
thevoid99
Diner Regular

Community Points: 19

Shame on our dirty little hearts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2044 on: January 19, 2009, 06:26:58 pm »

I hate it when people complain that a film is too long.  I knew The Curious Case of Benjamin Button was going to be long but it didn't feel like it was a long movie.  I've seen films that were longer than that.  My only complaint about the film was that the screenplay is very similar to Forrest Gump since both were written by Eric Roth.  David Fincher's direction was top-notch and he definitely did an excellent job.  It's a really amazing film despite a few flaws.

Slumdog Millionaire is in my top 5 films of 2008.  Danny Boyle did an amazing job for making something that is a modern-day Charles Dickens-like tale along with something that is vibrant and crossing various genres.  I think it's his best film since Trainspotting and certainly might be the big contender at the Oscars.  The other film I recommend seeing in theaters is Milk by Gus Van Sant.  A bio-pic that is expertely crafted with a superb, charismatic performance from Sean Penn plus top-notch supporting performances from James Franco, Josh Brolin, and Emile Hirsch.  It's a film that people must see not just because it's a great film but also a great history lesson about human rights and the history of the Gay & Lesbian Movement. 
sdance09
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 2

View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: January 23, 2009, 07:56:11 pm »

HAS ANYONE seen bride wars?

my name is stephanie
*or dybbi
i loove you mary, nega, ang aand marian Smiley Hearts
thevoid99
Diner Regular

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2046 on: January 23, 2009, 09:59:46 pm »

No, haven't and don't want to.  Mark Kermode of the BBC called it one of the worst films of 2009 so far.

I think there's a lot of reasons I didn't want to see it.  It's just about 2 friends fighting over a wedding date and trying to one-up another and such where in the end, they both get married and become friends again.

Plus, I really don't like Kate Hudson.  She's only done one good movie in her entire career, Almost Famous and it was a great performance.  She never did anything noteworthy after that.  Sure, a few commercial hit films like How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, You, Me, & Dupree and Raising Helen might help her profile.  I don't think she's a good actress.  She can be pretty and sexy but doesn't carry much depth into a character.  She's been in a lot of bad movies the past few years. 

Anne Hathaway is someone I like a lot and I think she's got far more potential to become a credible, serious actress.  Rachel Getting Married proved that since she played out of her comfort zone.  Got to be a whiny, selfish b*tch with problems, and create a character that is totally sympathetic.  She deserves that Oscar nomination for Best Actress.  Doing Bride Wars for me, is a step back to playing a likeable, nice girl character.  She is an excellent comedy actress with the first Princess Diaries, Get Smart, and Ella Enchanted.  Yet, I knew she had potential to do more with films like Nicholas Nickelby, Becoming Jane, and Brokeback MountainThe Devil Wears Prada worked because it played to her strength while working someone as revered and as talented as Meryl Streep.  Unlike Hudson, Hathaway can take risks like doing nude scenes in Havoc which was an OK film but not a great film which was due to the studio interference and reasons why it became a straight-to-DVD because Hathaway, director Barbara Kopple, and screenwriter Stephen Gaghan weren't happy with the final cut. 

With her nomination, I feel that it's time for Anne Hathaway to take a new step in her career and Bride Wars is not the right place.  While she's got a Tim Burton film to work on for 2010, in order to maintain a credible career.  She has to find a balance with the right commercial films that could work with her comedic talents while doing serious, art-house type of films with some very respected brilliant directors.  People wants her and Natalie Portman to be the next Audrey Hepburn.  Audrey Hepburn is dead and there will never be another Audrey Hepburn.  I don't know why people want other people to be the next this...  It's dumb. 

Bride Wars looks like a film that people will see on TV all the time for entertaining reasons but I think audiences know that there's something better out there.  The film that looks very appealing for a female audience that looks good is Confessions of a Shopaholic.  I think for anyone who might have read the book will know there's a good story somewhere.  Plus, it's produced by Jerry Bruckheimer, who is definitely thinking outside of his comfort zone of action blockbusters.  Yet, I give Bruckheimer credit for taking risks since he did produce Remember the Titans which is a film I love to watch.  I think Confesssions might be the right choice. 

I'm just an arthouse guy who loves films but also can hate a bad film with a passion.  I just try to look for something new and exciting.  I don't mind entertainment as long as I can appreciate the hard work that is made towards the movies that I'm seeing.  I want to make films but not commercial fare.  I'm not that interested because I rather tell personal stories and such. 
ImAGilmoreGirl
Official Gilmore Girl

Community Points: 1248

P!nk concert; a night to remember.

View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: January 28, 2009, 03:02:56 pm »

I wanna see it. Grin tell me what it's like if anyone has happened to see it!!

Pretty pretty please don't you ever ever feel like you're less than fucKin perfect, pretty pretty please if you ever ever feel like you're nothing; you're fucKin perfect to me ♥

Zachery Walker born 12.10.10
tennischic
Diner Chef

Community Points: 47

No one can make u feel inferior without ur consent

View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: June 10, 2009, 09:33:48 pm »

I have!  Cheesy

~ playin till dawn ~
*Berkley*

pwrofluv
Diner Regular

Community Points: 27

When McDonald's hits Africa...:)

View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: June 12, 2009, 05:45:20 pm »

I wanna see it. Grin tell me what it's like if anyone has happened to see it!!
oooh! i wanna see that too! is it good?

everyone says slumdog millionaire is like amazing. i still haven't seen it yet. what's it about?

tennischic
Diner Chef

Community Points: 47

No one can make u feel inferior without ur consent

View Profile
« Reply #2050 on: June 12, 2009, 08:03:20 pm »

I havent seen that one I dont think...hmmm....

But Bride Wars is decent. I thought it would be better but still good  Smiley

~ playin till dawn ~
*Berkley*

thevoid99
Diner Regular

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2051 on: June 12, 2009, 10:04:31 pm »

Slumdog Millionaire is about a young man from the slums of Mumbai who is one question away from winning it all.  The question is how did he do it as a policeman interrogates him where each question is linked to something in his life.

It's a great film and deserving of its Oscars. 
sid
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 3

View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: June 22, 2009, 06:53:19 am »

Anyone seen 'Let the right one in'

Yes I know it is in Swedish, is odd and the scene with the cats looks awful (the effect is just bad) but it is you should give a go and it does differ from the book (which is also good)
Lovefiend
Yale Alumnus

Community Points: 905

Shary's Stalkee, Lexie is my lil sis/ R.I.P BF

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2053 on: July 14, 2009, 12:32:46 am »

Benjamin Button had more holes than plot. Wanted to like it. Tried really hard to. Simply couldn't. Brilliant acted, gorgeous vingettes, wonderful cinematography, but plot and script-wise, just fell apart.

Alice in Wonderland - March 2010, can't effing wait.

~I wish I could touch you again, I wish I could still call you friend, I'd give, anything... ~

MiniPink
thevoid99
Diner Regular

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2054 on: July 14, 2009, 12:09:15 pm »

Technical wise, Benjamin Button is an excellent film but the problem I had with the film was that it was very similar to Forrest Gump though I shouldn't be surprised since the guy who wrote the adapted screenplay to Button also wrote the adapted screenplay to Gump.

Right now, I've become disenchanted with films at the moment because I'm starting to feel that this year is one of the worst years in cinema.  I've only seen 3 films this year that came out this year.  Up is my current favorite with The Brothers Bloom in 2nd.  Watchmen is good but didn't live up to its hype.  There's not a lot to look forward to.  The film I want to see most is Antichrist by Lars von Trier but it might not come out in the U.S. and if it does, it might be an edited version.  Then there's Where The Wild Things Are which I really want to see along with The Informant! by Steven Soderbergh, Broken Embraces by Pedro Almodovar, and new projects from the Coen Brothers, Michael Haneke, and James Cameron.  That's all I can think of.  There's smaller movies like Moon and (500) Days of Summer while I'm more likely to wait for The Answer Man on TV, though it looks like a pretty good film.

I'm too careful these days and I don't buy into the Hollywood hype machine.  Just because a movie is an event to see doesn't mean it's the movie to see and that's what they did with the new Transformers.  What happened is, everyone went to see it and I'm guessing that about 50% of the audience felt cheated.  I refuse to see it and from what I've heard.  It's like the first film but bigger, louder, sillier, and downright insulting.  The fact that it's making that much money is just disgusting for something that is so bad.  People complain the critics are out of touch but that isn't true.  They can embrace low art and entertainment.  They just don't want to be beaten in the head to believe that this is entertaining. 

There's a bunch of films I missed earlier this year.  Summer Hours, Goodbye Solo, Anvil!  The Story of Anvil, and The Limits of Control.  Art house features that aren't coming to a theater near you.  You have to drive 30 minutes to an hour to see those films.  I thought about seeing Inglourious Basterds but the reviews at Cannes last May worries me as I'm thinking that Quentin Tarantino has gotten way over his head sometimes. 

Sorry for the rant and as for Alice in Wonderland, I'm putting it as a maybe.  I like Tim Burton's earlier work but his recent stuff is too polished for me at times though I did like Sweeney Todd.
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138
  Print  

Jump to: