GilmoreGirls.org Forum
May 28, 2022, 10:38:15 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: TV  Remember that feeling you got when watching Gilmore episodes for the first time?  Relive it!  With us!  Join the viewing party, A Gilmore RevisitingTV

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Should they make a Gilmore Girls movie?
Yes
No

Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138
  Print  
Author Topic: Movie Thread  (Read 569815 times)
Lake
Town Troubadour

Community Points: 2

View Profile
« Reply #2025 on: December 08, 2008, 05:00:12 pm »

I'm waiting for Hunger to come out but it's likely to come out next year in the U.S. unless they're going for an Oscar run in NY and LA. 

Oh I didn't know that. I know it's out in Australia and Europe so I presumed NA as well. I'll probably go see it tomorrow as it's 4 cinema here on Tuesdays!
thevoid99
Diner Regular

Community Points: 19

Shame on our dirty little hearts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2026 on: January 10, 2009, 11:17:23 pm »

I know many fans here want a Gilmore Girls movie so bad and I want it to.

Yet, for some reason, I think there's some of us that probably don't want one and maybe the cast don't want to do it either.

Has anyone seen the Sex & the City:  The Movie?

I haven't but the complaints some had with the film was that it felt more like five big episodes rather than an actual movie.

I can see ways that a GG film could disappoint people.  I think it's often due to what the studio thinks audiences want rather than having Amy wanting to do what she feels is right for the characters. 

I have read the sypnosis for Sex & the City and I could see how studios might want GG to do the same or actually do things to make it look stupid:

Have Rory lose her job and lose it.

Have Richard Gilmore arrested and jailed for tax fraud (which he didn't do obviously)

Have Luke leave Lorelai (and whatever kids they might have) because he feels insecure because of one of Lorelai's former flames (Chris or Max)

Have someone fail and blah-blah-blah.

I don't think these scenarios would work and would be an insult to the fans.  I think the one successful TV show to feature film that got it right was Joss Whedon's Firefly that would become the film Serenity.  I saw episodes of Firefly when it was on Sci-Fi channel.  Then when I saw Serenity, it didn't feel like some extended episode but an actual film.

Do think there's more ways for a GG movie to screw itself up really badly?
SkiesOfBlue
Town Resident

Community Points: 14

View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: January 11, 2009, 05:00:25 am »

Personally I'd be more than hapopy with a 5 minute segment which consists of a conversation between Lorelai and Rory, that could tie up a lot of loose endings. However I movie would be great.

*Clare*
SIDNEY
Chilton Graduate

Community Points: 322

View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: January 12, 2009, 09:17:37 pm »

thevoid99: What you wrote is very interesting but i don't think the disappointement would be an issue if they did make a movie, you know why? Because everyone was very disappointed when they saw the last season. It was shocking. It alienated Gilmore Girls in a way. I think people are looking for the movie as a way to take some of that disappointment away. If the movie did that then it's fine but if it didn't i suspect no one would be surprised.

About what's the movie should be about, i think it should focus on making Lorelai's and Luke's relationship more secure and remind us why we liked them in the first place and also focus on the Lorelai/Emily thing without Rory being in the middle.

Billy: Are we over the rainbow, Ally? Is this it? We used to sing as kids "over the rainbow".
We've gone from being people with bright futures to people who should be living their futures now.
Lake
Town Troubadour

View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: January 13, 2009, 12:10:50 pm »

I'm not interested in Twilight.  I'm not into teenage vampire stories.  Plus, director Catherine Hardwicke is an average director

It's incredibly bad. I walked out on it today. Shocking stuff, I don't know how it's popular. Terrible acting, and I mean TERRIBLE. Which was the main reason for making it unwatchable.

I didn't pay for the ticket though thank God!
tennischic
Diner Chef

Community Points: 47

No one can make u feel inferior without ur consent

View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: January 13, 2009, 07:07:45 pm »

Oh thank god someone agrees with me. I absolutely hate Twilight with a mad burning passion. Now you boys have taste.

~ playin till dawn ~
*Berkley*

thevoid99
Diner Regular

Community Points: 19

Shame on our dirty little hearts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2031 on: January 13, 2009, 10:32:18 pm »

I don't get the Twilight phenomenon... a teenage girl meets a moody, vegetarian vampire... oooh!!!!

I heard the books are crap too.  Many claim they're the next Harry Potter.  Pulease!  Potter and his gang could take those wannabe vampires.

And I hate Hot Topic.  Trying to commercialize metal and Goth music. 

Oh, I almost forgot.  What would our esteemed book experts like Jess, Rory, and Paris think of the Twilight series?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 10:33:37 pm by thevoid99 » Logged
Lake
Town Troubadour

View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: January 14, 2009, 05:02:57 am »

To be honest I wouldn't mind giving the books a shot. It's not my genre but I have heard good things. But the movie was poor. Still should appeal to the hardcore but not going to win any awards!
tennischic
Diner Chef

View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: January 14, 2009, 07:11:47 pm »

Yeah I read the books and the word pathetic comes to mind. I mean god bloody hell the are so wrong. I just can't even explain that one. I will admit I did like the little part dealing with The Love Triangle in the book but after that I was SO done. But psh! Like hell they are the next Harry Potter. Nothing I repeat nothing will ever live up to Harry Potter. I personally think that Paris would have a dark secret love for the books though and Rory and Dean wouldn't even bother with such rubbish.

~ playin till dawn ~
*Berkley*

I LUV JESS~!!
Inn Chef

Community Points: 598

Hey

View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: January 14, 2009, 08:25:49 pm »

Did you ask for your money back or something? Cheesy I'm a fan of the books and I like the movie, but I didn't think it was great.

There are a couple movies that I'm looking forward to. The Underworld: Rise of the Lycans, which I am so pumped for! And Revolutionary Road. I love Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet. I think they're both phenomenal.

Brenda Hearts
xSPREE[total Literati![recenetly converted Java Junkie[M.M.M.[B Fan[Twilight Hearts x

Laura's my boo!
LAKERS/DODGERS FAN![/b
dancer1012
Town Elder

Community Points: 528

I'm in LOVE with Edward Cullen <3

View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: January 14, 2009, 08:43:54 pm »

Okay I'm sorry for jumping in to the middle of the Twilight bashing fest, but I'm going to say what I think.
And I'm sorry this is coming from someone who absolutely LOVES the whole Twilight series and the movie. From someone who has all four books, has a sweatshirt, a bag, the soundtrack and a poster. (And three of those things came from Hot Topic.) From a girl who loves many different series "The House Of Night" "Vampire Academy" and "Glass Houses"
And I have a feeling that I'm going to get snarked beyond believe with this post. But I needed to say something.
When the books first came out, I will admit that I wasn't big on the whole vampire thing either, it just didn't seem like something that I would get into, (I'm more of the typical teenage romance books, I'm a bookworm) but anyway, it became more than that.

I'm not interested in Twilight.  I'm not into teenage vampire stories.  Plus, director Catherine Hardwicke is an average director

It's incredibly bad. I walked out on it today. Shocking stuff, I don't know how it's popular. Terrible acting, and I mean TERRIBLE. Which was the main reason for making it unwatchable.

Honestly, it was the concept for all of us who like the book(s), that there was a movie to finally put all of the words in the book and the story line and all of the characters into a full on picture in front of you not just in your head. None of us were paying attention to the director, none of us cared it was the whole concept of the movie that mattered most. It was perfectly watchable. The movie was more than just adding to a phenomenon for people. PEOPLE!! NOT just teenage girls.. That is a HORRIBLE stero-type. One which I am a part of and I am proud to say so.

I don't get the Twilight phenomenon... a teenage girl meets a moody, vegetarian vampire... oooh!!!!

I heard the books are crap too.  Many claim they're the next Harry Potter.  Pulease!  Potter and his gang could take those wannabe vampires.

And I hate Hot Topic.  Trying to commercialize metal and Goth music. 

Oh, I almost forgot.  What would our esteemed book experts like Jess, Rory, and Paris think of the Twilight series?
The books are AMAZING!! Stephanie Meyer is an amazing writer! Not only with the Twilight Series but with her book "The Host" as well. How can you judge these books when you deem them unreadable. There is no right to judge them, whatever happened to the saying "you can't judge a book by its cover"? Or its reputation. Who cares what the critics say about it or what other people say. Nothing should said until the facts are known.
I'm not a Harry Potter fan in the least bit, I read all of the books just to be sure that I wouldn't change my mind, I didn't change my mind. I'm not saying they were crap. I just couldn't get into them.

Hot Topic should not be brought into this conversation it has nothing to do with this at all. Let me just ask, what is "Goth" music? Linkin Park, Paramore, My Chemical Romance, what? This as well falls under the whole stero-type thing. My friends could very easily be put into this category, does that make them bad people? I go to Hot Topic all of the time, and it is so much more than "that GOTH store." And I'm not "goth" I wear bright colors and such. I'm not goth in the least bit. There is nothing wrong with being gothic. And there is no connection between the stero-type and the Twilight series OR the movie.

To be honest I wouldn't mind giving the books a shot. It's not my genre but I have heard good things. But the movie was poor. Still should appeal to the hardcore but not going to win any awards!

And because its based on a "teenage dark romance" series its not good enough? Why?

Yeah I read the books and the word pathetic comes to mind. I mean god bloody hell the are so wrong. I just can't even explain that one. I will admit I did like the little part dealing with The Love Triangle in the book but after that I was SO done. But psh! Like hell they are the next Harry Potter. Nothing I repeat nothing will ever live up to Harry Potter. I personally think that Paris would have a dark secret love for the books though and Rory and Dean wouldn't even bother with such rubbish.
This is LOW. Very low. This series could very well be the next Harry Potter, and so what? For all of those people who didn't like Harry Potter this is their series and their time. Why not just leave it at that?

*~*Mary*~*
Darling & I + ebay=dying of laughter
<3 In love..
Lake
Town Troubadour

View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: January 15, 2009, 04:03:37 am »

And because its based on a "teenage dark romance" series its not good enough? Why?

Um no, because it's a bad movie with sh*t acting. I didn't say any of the words you're trying to put in my mouth there.
Johanna
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 4

View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: January 15, 2009, 11:04:53 am »

Hot Topic should not be brought into this conversation it has nothing to do with this at all. Let me just ask, what is "Goth" music? Linkin Park, Paramore, My Chemical Romance, what? This as well falls under the whole stero-type thing. My friends could very easily be put into this category, does that make them bad people? I go to Hot Topic all of the time, and it is so much more than "that GOTH store." And I'm not "goth" I wear bright colors and such. I'm not goth in the least bit. There is nothing wrong with being gothic. And there is no connection between the stero-type and the Twilight series OR the movie.

I agree with this, my friend describes herself as a goth and she has no interest in Twilight. And she is not into the stereotypical 'goth music' that you listed above. I've been called a goth before, and trust me. I am nothing like the stereotype either!! We live in England, so we have no idea what Hot Topic is. All the girls I know who like Twilight are the complete opposite of goths! The most obsessive fan I know always seems to wear brightly coloured party dresses and her favourite band are N.E.R.D.

There is a real issue with goth prejudice in England at the moment and it's so weird, because my friend isn't really that much like the stereotype. Just goes to show that you can't pigeonhole everyone Nod

Lake
Town Troubadour

View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: January 15, 2009, 11:41:31 am »

Yeah as I said I'd like to try the books out. I don't think it's a stereotype thing either, everyone I know who have read them are working professionals, and they've recommended them to me.

My only gripe was with the quality of the movie. If it's going to be a series you gotta pump a lot of money into it to make it good. Maybe if they got Alfonso Cuaron (sp?) in to do one? His Harry Potter movie was the best of the lot and he also helped contribute ideas on later ones.

With book-to-movie adaptations I think you need a really good director who has a real feel for the book and what it should look like, just like the Coen's and No Country For Old Men.

Anybody excited about the release of Watchmen?
tennischic
Diner Chef

View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: January 15, 2009, 07:24:09 pm »

Okay I'm sorry for jumping in to the middle of the Twilight bashing fest, but I'm going to say what I think.
And I'm sorry this is coming from someone who absolutely LOVES the whole Twilight series and the movie. From someone who has all four books, has a sweatshirt, a bag, the soundtrack and a poster. (And three of those things came from Hot Topic.) From a girl who loves many different series "The House Of Night" "Vampire Academy" and "Glass Houses"
This is LOW. Very low. This series could very well be the next Harry Potter, and so what? For all of those people who didn't like Harry Potter this is their series and their time. Why not just leave it at that?

Ok sweetie obcessed much? You own how much Twilight crap? That is not healthy I would have to say. And how is that LOW as you say? My opinion is that it could never compare to Harry Potter. I know you would like to dream it is going to be the next Harry Potter and all but whatever. You can dream. If certain people want this to be their own fickle version of Harry Potter more power to them but it will not be mine and I shall state my opinion. So why don't we leave it that eh?

~ playin till dawn ~
*Berkley*

Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138
  Print  

Jump to: