GilmoreGirls.org Forum
June 28, 2022, 11:32:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: TV  Remember that feeling you got when watching Gilmore episodes for the first time?  Relive it!  With us!  Join the viewing party, A Gilmore RevisitingTV

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Should they make a Gilmore Girls movie?
Yes
No

Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 138
  Print  
Author Topic: Movie Thread  (Read 577779 times)
thevoid99
Diner Regular

Community Points: 19

Shame on our dirty little hearts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2010 on: October 20, 2008, 11:10:08 am »

Which version of Crash?

There's 2 versions.  the 1996 film by David Cronenberg and the 2004 version by Paul Haggis. 

Magnolia and the 2004 version of Crash are not the same films nor the same idea.

While both may have been influenced by Robert Altman.  Paul Thomas Anderson is not about entertainment and that film was more about existentialism and alienation.  Crash, though a good film, is very flawed because a lot of comes out as contrived and manipulative and its payoff wasn't deserving at all in the end.  I liked it a lot the first time around but when I saw it the second time, I realized how flawed it was and it made me like it a lot less.  It's a film that doesn't get any better with repeated viewing. 
sid
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 3

View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: October 20, 2008, 12:24:28 pm »

I was talking about the Paul Haggis one - what one were you talking about because the Cronenberg movie also deals with alienation - just that people found a way to connect with each other through near death car crashes and out there sex? 

The reason I brought up the 2004 Crash (although I admit I haven't seen it, so can't comment about it not getting better with a second viewing) was because like Magnolia it was also an ensemble cast with a number of plot lines that collide and diverage to explore themes.

As for Altman, he had the talent to work these types of ensemble pieces,  such as that without it becoming too contrived, though my favourite films of his are of course the obvious ones of MASH and Gosford Park.

Magnolia to me, for the 20 minutes I watched it felt as if I was watching it because I have been told it was good and not because I was enjoying it.   
thevoid99
Diner Regular

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2012 on: October 20, 2008, 05:40:05 pm »

That's what bothers me whenever the word Crash as a film is mentioned. 

There's 2 films of the same name yet it's confusing.  The people I often hang around often think of the Cronenberg film because we love Cronenberg.

Haggis' Crash only had one theme.  Racism.  Yet, myself and many film buffs felt it was told much better 15 years before that.  Spike Lee's Do the Right Thing which was a film I think many people weren't ready for.

I think part of the reason why I'm annoyed at Haggis' film is because it beat Brokeback Mountain at the Oscars. 

You said you only saw 20 minutes of Magnolia.  You're really missing out on a lot.  It gets more complex as the film goes through and through.  It's very layered and starts to peel itself off after each scene right through the end. 

Haggis' Crash doesn't have much complexity and gets a bit too dramatic for its own good. 

My favorite Altman film is McCabe & Mrs. Miller.  Just love the look and feel of that film.  Vilmos Zsigmond's cinematography.  The score by Leonard Cohen and it has this elgaic, metaphoric tone of the film about the American dream in relation to what was going on in the 1970s.  It's a film that many people needs to see. 
sid
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 3

View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: October 21, 2008, 11:05:10 am »

To be honest Spike Lee comes over to me as too self sanctimonious at times -  don't get me wrong I like some of his films Crooklyn, Malcolm X, Jungle Fever, and Girl 6 was interesting but I don't think I'll see Miracle of St Anna.

As for Do the Right thing - I know it didn't follow the same themes but I preferred John Singleton's Boys N the Hood but it did touch on touch on racism or La Haine it is very powerful.

As for Crash and Magnolia - just ain't my cup of tea I think.  I might give Magnolia a go later but I can't see it just now.

Also Brokeback Mountain was another movie that I felt was more hype than substance, Ang Lee can shoot things beautifully and I know he is trying to be the new Stanley Kubrick and do movies in almost every genre he can get his hands on but Brokeback Mountain left me cold.  I know people praise it but it just did, I know that is also part of the point but not at all satisfying.  I haven't read the original story so I don't know if that was all he had to work with.

Heath Ledger and Jake (I can't spell his surname to save my life) were good but I don't think it was as good as the praise it got,  Michelle Williams was good as the Heath's wife but she disappeared halfway through and I would have like to have seen her reaction over the years even if it was her disgust at him when he was picking up the kids - Anne Hathaway was the best thing in it to my mind.

As McCabe and Mrs Miller, haven't seen it, but always felt that Warren Beatty was a little underrated as an actor even with his impressive catalogue.

gilmoregirls1fan
Town Resident

Community Points: 13

View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: October 23, 2008, 05:09:21 pm »

Has Anyone seen
Over Her Dead Body
with Eva Longoria?

its Hilarious!
i loved it.
thevoid99
Diner Regular

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2015 on: October 23, 2008, 07:08:19 pm »

Nope.  Don't want to.  Personally, I don't really find Eva Longoria to be attractive.  I just feel sorry for Paul Rudd though.  For his character to be married to a very perfectionist, superficial protagonist and then fall for a fake ghost talker or something.

I do like Paul Rudd though.  In fact, a few weeks ago.  Someone came up with an idea about putting Paul Rudd in a movie with Javier Bardem.   This isn't my idea but someone else's.  Here is the idea:

They're stars of a 1980s foreign cop/sarcastic TV sitcom.  Bardem plays the foreign cop who leaves the show at his peak as he becomes an acclaimed actor winning 2 Oscars and nominated for 5.  Rudd's character is the sarcastic cop whose career has fallen like David Caruso's had when he left NYPD Blue and his low point was getting into a fight with Verne Troyer in a VH1 reality series.  Suddenly, the show the two had starred is coming back for TV and Rudd is trying to convince Bardem in star in the show for this season

I honestly believe that this film will kick total *ss.  I'm for it.  Bardem and Rudd in a film together.  A funny movie. 
tennischic
Diner Chef

Community Points: 47

No one can make u feel inferior without ur consent

View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: October 25, 2008, 05:13:10 pm »

gilmoregirls1fan i've seen it and I thought it was HiLaRiOuS also! Hehe ya gotta luv how the one guy wasn't even gay  Wink
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 03:20:40 pm by tennischic » Logged

~ playin till dawn ~
*Berkley*

thevoid99
Diner Regular

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2017 on: October 26, 2008, 07:49:52 pm »

Rachel Getting Married by Jonathan Demme

Right now, it's the second best film of the year behind WALL-E

I would love to go to a wedding and reception like that.  Without all of the drama.  It's a great film.  Demme's was engaging in his direction.  Jenny Lumet's screenplay is very layered for its characters.  Anne Hathaway I hope gets an Oscar nod along with Rosemarie DeWitt and Bill Irwin.

I widely recommend this film if anyone is into some serious drama and top-notch acting. 
Lovefiend
Yale Alumnus

Community Points: 905

Shary's Stalkee, Lexie is my lil sis/ R.I.P BF

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2018 on: October 26, 2008, 09:17:56 pm »

Anyone (lookin' at you older folks, probably!!), into old school comic strip short films? I've watched most of them now, and some of them are so great I can't stand it.

~I wish I could touch you again, I wish I could still call you friend, I'd give, anything... ~

MiniPink
thevoid99
Diner Regular

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2019 on: November 14, 2008, 04:03:06 pm »

OK, I have an idea on that Javier Bardem-Paul Rudd film project that myself and Filmspotting seem really interested in about and I'm convinced that there's a goldmine in this project.  . 

I got an idea for something Lauren can do.  She can play a co-star/ex-girlfriend of Paul Rudd's character who was dumped when the show peaked as he left her for some Pamela Anderson-like actress.  She leaves the show after Bardem leaves and when Rudd tries to convince Bardem.  Bardem ends up relenting and says, he'll do it... only if Lauren is involved.  Rudd gets scared and the minute he meets Lauren.  She punches him in the face.  Her character is still a TV actress who still does guest work and stuff while raising her own 16-17 year old daughter who turns out to be Rudd's long-lost daughter.  And Lauren is super-pissed at Rudd where she curses at him while revealing that she had sex with Bardem during one of their break-ups when they were still in the series.

It's just an idea but I think have a really good part that Lauren can play where she can be funny and also act a bit like the anti-Lorelai.  Plus, I have an idea for a cameo for Alexis who plays a last-minute replacement for Lauren and Lauren gets pissed. 
cherilee13
Diner Chef

Community Points: 364

View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: November 23, 2008, 02:56:34 pm »

Nothing new on my end about movies.  I am just surprised that there isn't anything posted yet about 'Twilight'.  Everyone was so eager to go and see it.  Can't wait to hear your reviews.  I probably won't go to see it because I am not really into vampire type movies, but I know a lot of you are.

Sig by Sooks/Mel ~ Thank you sweet friend
totalggfan84
Diner Regular

Community Points: 61

View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: November 23, 2008, 03:49:00 pm »

Ok since you mention it. I went to see Twilight at midnight on its premiere night. Yep I'm that obsessed. It was so packed in the theater. So many girls. When the movie started, everyone clapped. When Edward, the main vampire, came on the screen, everyone clapped. When Bella, the main actress's, friend, Jacob, came on the screen, everyone clapped. I'd say the movie was overall very good. It was totally not what I expected. There were many awkward pauses that obviously the director wanted in there. Because every time there was one, everyone in the theater laughed. So there was a lot of laughing. I wasn't expecting to laugh that much from a love story. If you haven't read the book, some parts of the movie won't make sense at first. And some of the lines will seem corny. But since I am a fan of the books, I loved the movie. I was so tired the next but I'm so happy I saw it. I'll probably go see it again.

^Sig made by the awesome lukesgirl!^
Hi my name is Rachel (Angela is my TJS).
~Literati, Java Junkie~
Obsessed with Harry Potter and Twilight!
thevoid99
Diner Regular

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2022 on: November 23, 2008, 05:22:58 pm »

I was supposed to see the new James Bond film Quantum of Solace on its opening weekend but the reviews put me off. 

The fact that it's more action and less spy film definitely turned me off because Bond is supposed to be the cool, suave, humorous, spy guy with gadgets.  He can be a badass but not all the time.  Plus, I heard he doesn't spend much times with the ladies that much.  What's up with that?

I'm not interested in Twilight.  I'm not into teenage vampire stories.  Plus, director Catherine Hardwicke is an average director with a great debut film Thirteen, a lackluster sophomore film Lords of Dogtown (the documentary Dogtown & Z-Boys is much better) despite great performances from Heath Ledger and Emile Hirsch, and an OK but boring film The Nativity Story.

I'm anxious to see two art movies.  Synecdoche, New York by Charlie Kaufman and Milk by Gus Van Sant.  I can understand people might not get the former because it's so complex.  Yet, don't let that douche Ben Lyons tell you not to go to see it.  He's an uneducated little douche who doesn't know anything about films and spends more of his time hanging with starlets rather than make serious critiques.  We at Filmspotting land really hate Ben Lyons and can't believe that At the Movies (which used to be the Siskel & Ebert show) had really become unwatchable. 

Sorry, I had to rant.  I really, really, really hate that guy.  I think his father isn't any better.  He didn't get I'm Not There and complained that the film was too unconventional.  He obviously don't know anything about Bob Dylan at all.

I'm thinking about seeing Australia because of Baz Luhrmann since he directed three excellent films, Strictly Ballroom, William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet (the one with Leonardo DiCaprio & Claire Danes and Paul Rudd!), and Moulin Rouge!.  Yet, reviews are mixed. 

I guess I'm just still waiting for Che to come out.  I'm a total snob. 
Lake
Town Troubadour

Community Points: 2

View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: December 07, 2008, 05:25:13 pm »

I recently saw The Nightmare Before Christmas in 3-D!  Grin

To be honest the 3-D effects were good but not spectacular, it's just amazing to see the movie in a cinema again (was it really 15 years ago??). The scene when Jack finds the Christmas village remains one of the nicest Christmas moments in any movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaxKiZfQcX8

I'm anxious to see two art movies.  Synecdoche, New York by Charlie Kaufman and Milk by Gus Van Sant.  

Agreed, both look fantastic! Hunger is also out at the moment though, I HAVE to see it soon, I have a feeling it'll be one of the best movies of the year.
thevoid99
Diner Regular

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2024 on: December 08, 2008, 03:33:29 pm »

I'm waiting for Hunger to come out but it's likely to come out next year in the U.S. unless they're going for an Oscar run in NY and LA.  I saw Synecdoche, New York last Fri. as my birthday movie.  It was a total mind-f*ck.  I enjoyed it yet it was flawed due to its slow pacing, drawn-out ending, and high-concept.  It's not a film I would say is for mainstream audiences because they might not get it but the ensemble cast is definitely worth watching.

My original b-day film was supposed to be Milk but because my parents' car is still having transmission problem, I have to borrow the big SUV and see Synecdoche, New York.  I'll try and see Milk when it expands along with Slumdog Millionaire.

The film I'm extremely looking forward to for January is Che.
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 138
  Print  

Jump to: