GilmoreGirls.org Forum
December 03, 2021, 06:09:34 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Star  We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's best Gilmore Girls forum. The ORG Forum will be just that. Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster.  Star 

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 39
  Print  
Author Topic: Beauty Q&A Thread  (Read 214037 times)
Fantasy
Diner Waitress

Community Points: 141

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: December 09, 2007, 12:20:59 pm »

I don't see why its wrong to go on the pill for things other than birth control.  If it wasn't a "birth control" pill, would it be wrong? Should they keep the same ingredients, but name it something else?

But I have an important question. How do you curl your hair using a curling iron. I tried, and all I get is this werid lil' 'flip.' I need step by step instructions. Think "The Idiots Guide to Curling Hair." Smiley Thanks!

Take my hand and drag me head first, fearless.
kamibeaR
Diner Chef

Community Points: 452

Elphaba, Elphie, Fabala, Fae

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: December 09, 2007, 01:43:00 pm »

Well I'm not completely against females using birth control for acne/cramps. I just always think that when younger teens want to use the pill, they also want it for more than just that.. of course I know that not all of them could be having sex, but I'm sure that some are. But obviously that's just me and my morals. If they are, they'll protected (I guess) but it doesn't guarantee they will be safe from any kind of STD.

As for women (18+) its a different story.

Sarah, I wish i knew about hair curling, lol. I'd help ya out. I'm actually the opposite, I need my hair straight. Although its hard to keep it that way.. it usually frizzes. (BTW, I like your sig. Smiley I adore Taylor Swfit. She's been nominated for a grammy! Best New Artist.)

*Kami*

"You know black, is this years pink!"

Sig by Laura.

Hearts Wicked and Twilight
Honourary Aussie
SPREE
Java Junkie
Narco/Headliner
QweenB
Pretty Town Spinster

Community Points: 568

RIP Phantom

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: December 09, 2007, 02:56:39 pm »

Unfortunately with the acne issue it varies from person to person and you need to persist with different treatments until you find on that works for you. I have tried quite a number of things, your different face washes, the pimple creams, healthier diet, Health food shop items like Sillica, antibiotics (you can try a few til you find one that works but the side effects arent so great, bloating and poor immune system are a few of them) the five step programs...I finally have things under control, partially because I am on the pill and I also use clean and clear face wash. A few tips.

NEVER sleep in your make up, in fact, take it off as soon as you can to give your face a break.
Drink lots of water, I really hate water but I can tell you, I went from drinking one glass a day to drinking 4-6 which isnt even as much as they say you should and I saw the difference very quickly!
A little bit of sun is good for you skin, let your make up free face have a little bit of sunshine occasionally. (Not encouraging it AT ALL but I went to the solarium for a while and got a lot of comments on how healthy my skin looked)

The reason you dont hear much about acne in early times is because people who had acne were referred to as 'pock marked' and it comes down to a lot of things, make up having a lot to do with it but also diet and hygiene. Back in Cromagnon man days there was also no McDonalds!

Another thing that has come up - dont over wash, your face needs some of the natural oils so that it doesnt dry out, drying out can make things just as bad!

The anemia thing comes from girls having their periods and it does contribute - thats why the pimples start at about the same time as your periods do. Just like everything else, it is not the only contributor, my sister had acne and she had a high iron disorder. Unfortunately, a lot of it is heriditary so if your parents had it then theres a high chance you will too.

Hope this helped in some way, just keep in mind, it may take time to work out what works for you! I had shit self esteem at school and my skin had a lot to do with it, now you cant shut me up and I have great self esteem, keep at it!

Ohh and I would love to know how to keep a curl in my hair, lol, its dead straight and no matter how much product I use the curls just fall out!

B xxx

Courtney Fan!
Got me a hand full of Barbie!
Shut ya gob!
Ditto!
Honourary South Af
Lovefiend
Yale Alumnus

Community Points: 905

Shary's Stalkee, Lexie is my lil sis/ R.I.P BF

View Profile WWW
« Reply #483 on: December 09, 2007, 03:44:33 pm »

The reason you get pimples around your period is to do with hormones, not iron. Iron has nothing to do with pimples. It will make you pale, sure, and sick. But lack of iron will not give you pimples.

Ya'll can arrgue as much as you like, but I just scored 100% on my section of my medsci exam to do with hormones, puberty, pimples etc.  I've also experienced ance since I was about 11.

B is spot on with the advice about water and not sleeping in make up and not over washing your skin. IT will simply produce moreoil. Hence why your pimples don't go away when you start using fancy toners.

~I wish I could touch you again, I wish I could still call you friend, I'd give, anything... ~

MiniPink
haileyerin
Town Troubadour

Community Points: 8

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: December 09, 2007, 05:18:00 pm »

Well, I'm just letting you know I got that information from a doctor, not a student. Plus, if you're saying that hormones are the reason for acne, and you stand behind the idea that acne didn't exist way back when, then that doesn't really hold up because hormones have always existed. Anyway, it's worked for me...I didn't say it would work for everyone.

Also, about the birth control thing...I have NOTHING against it. Sorry if it sounded that way! I was on it for a while and it made me gain a ton of weight, so that's why I got off of it..if it's the only thing that works for you, then I see no problem.

Hailey
QweenB
Pretty Town Spinster

RIP Phantom

View Profile
« Reply #485 on: December 09, 2007, 05:35:47 pm »

I can see peoples views for the birth control pill usage, I feel that having younger girls on it does to some degree encourage having sex too young but I lost my virginity at 17 and didnt go on the pill til I was 21 so who knows. You gained weight on the pill? Only thing I noticed was that my boobs got HUGE! LOL.

I am no doctor, I just know that some things worked for me and others didnt, I dont know what causes certain things and I feel everyone is entitled to have their say, its awesome that we can all offer advice and support to one another, especially when some people here have noone to discuss these issues with or find it easier to do it here because its not face to face.

B xxx

Courtney Fan!
Shut ya gob!
Ditto!
Honourary South Af
haileyerin
Town Troubadour

Community Points: 8

View Profile
« Reply #486 on: December 09, 2007, 05:52:48 pm »

Oh my gosh, so did mine! It was ridiculous! I didn't want it to be permanent, so I stopped taking them lol. I also gained about four pounds, but it leveled off and I started losing that weight after a while. Maybe it was just extra water weight or something...

I think the only thing I have a problem with regarding birth control is that if a girl goes on the pill at, say, 14, and doesn't get off of them until she's 25 so she can have children with whoever, that's A LOT of dependency on false hormones. And plus, I was stupid and read the health warnings on the box...that was dumb. I'm never doing that again. For normal people who aren't compulsive about reading EVERYTHING in a prescription box, it's probably fine lol
QweenB
Pretty Town Spinster

RIP Phantom

View Profile
« Reply #487 on: December 09, 2007, 06:01:24 pm »

Lol, health warnings shmealth warnings. I didnt even read them! To be honest though, the whole 'being on the pill too long causes dramas when you want to get pregnant' thing doesnt bother me because I have no desire to have children (and thats not a youthful declaration, its a well thought out decision). I think the worst part is that young girls can see the pill as 'protection' and then jump into a sexual relationship too young and not use real 'protection' and be at risk of diseases.

I did actually go off the pill for a while to make my boobs shrink and they did and then I went back on them and they ballooned again. Needless to say my boyfriend doesnt mind them, lol. I think they look rediculous on my small frame!

B xxx

Courtney Fan!
Shut ya gob!
Ditto!
Honourary South Af
kamibeaR
Diner Chef

Community Points: 452

Elphaba, Elphie, Fabala, Fae

View Profile
« Reply #488 on: December 09, 2007, 06:40:15 pm »

Ya'll can arrgue as much as you like, but I just scored 100% on my section of my medsci exam to do with hormones, puberty, pimples etc.  I've also experienced ance since I was about 11.
I respect your opinions and everything, but we all do have our own views. Obviously they may differ, thats how it works. There also are others who have the knowledge on acne as well.. having also dealed with it for years.

Birth control makes your boobs grow?? Awesome! Although unfortunatly, I don't really have much need for the pill, lol.

*Kami*

"You know black, is this years pink!"

Sig by Laura.

Hearts Wicked and Twilight
Honourary Aussie
SPREE
Java Junkie
Narco/Headliner
I LUV JESS~!!
Inn Chef

Community Points: 598

Hey

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: December 09, 2007, 06:54:52 pm »

Birth control makes your boobs grow?? Awesome! Although unfortunatly, I don't really have much need for the pill, lol.
LOL! Me, either. I don't really wish I had big boobs, though. I like my Bs. Cheesy

Brenda Hearts
xSPREE[total Literati![recenetly converted Java Junkie[M.M.M.[B Fan[Twilight Hearts x

Laura's my boo!
LAKERS/DODGERS FAN![/b
the girls4ever
Town Selectman

Community Points: 727

He's Dazzling

View Profile
« Reply #490 on: December 09, 2007, 07:04:14 pm »

Birth control makes your boobs grow?? Awesome!

Cheesy Kami

Yup, they make your boobs grow. Remember Grey's Anatomy season 2? I think the girls name was Bex, she was a girl with, uh hem, boy parts on the inside. She took way more birth control pills than you're supposed because she was as "flat as a board". A bad example but an example none the less!  Cheesy

I've had acne problems since puberty. It seems to only get worse and not better. I'm led to believe it's my hormones because my periods are irregular too. I drink lots of water and wash off my make up at night, but my face is always oily  Tongue

-Laura-

Twilight
70% Headliner 30% Literati, Java Junkie always
Brenda is my partner in crime~Love to the Sprees & Lits
Fantasy
Diner Waitress

Community Points: 141

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: December 11, 2007, 03:29:43 am »

Sarah, I wish i knew about hair curling, lol. I'd help ya out. I'm actually the opposite, I need my hair straight. Although its hard to keep it that way.. it usually frizzes. (BTW, I like your sig. Smiley I adore Taylor Swfit. She's been nominated for a grammy! Best New Artist.)

Ahh! Merci beaucoup! It isn't the best artwork, but it is one of my first, so I'm proud. Tongue Taylor Swift is amazing, I really hope she wins, have any idea who she is nominated against? My hair doesn't curl at all with a curling iron...::big dramatic sigh::.

The last thing I need is for my boobs to grow. In one year my boobs went from a small B to a small D. And I hate it. Boobs are a hassle, if you ask me. Smiley

Take my hand and drag me head first, fearless.
the_real_paul_anka
« Reply #492 on: December 11, 2007, 05:07:08 pm »

The last thing I need is for my boobs to grow. In one year my boobs went from a small B to a small D. And I hate it. Boobs are a hassle, if you ask me. Smiley

I completely agree, boobs are a hassle. LOL. I've had the opposite problem though. Since I was 13, I've been a large C/ small D, depending where I shop, since I turned 17 a month and a half ago, my boobs have gotten waaaay smaller. I bought a bra the other day and it was a B. It's crazy. Usually my boobs get smaller if I lose weight, but I haven't. Oh, well. I'm not complaining!!
Ange
Town Resident

Community Points: 11

View Profile
« Reply #493 on: December 12, 2007, 01:03:18 pm »

i also agree with you guys! my boobs have been a big c or a small d for all my high school career and i have aerobics so we run....and my boobs are everywhere even with a sports bra there are a huge hassle. And dont even get me started on bathing suits!!!!
Lovefiend
Yale Alumnus

Community Points: 905

Shary's Stalkee, Lexie is my lil sis/ R.I.P BF

View Profile WWW
« Reply #494 on: December 14, 2007, 12:45:00 am »

My boobs are wierd. They were pretty big, like a large C. Then I got really sick, and I had literally no boobs. Not as in 'I literally died!' but actually literally. then I put weight back on, the rest of me has filled out again, but not my boobs are like AA to an A. Depending on where my weight fluctuation [email protected]\!! It's very wierd.

~I wish I could touch you again, I wish I could still call you friend, I'd give, anything... ~

MiniPink
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 39
  Print  

Jump to: