GilmoreGirls.org Forum
December 03, 2021, 03:22:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: TV  Remember that feeling you got when watching Gilmore episodes for the first time?  Relive it!  With us!  Join the viewing party, A Gilmore RevisitingTV

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11
  Print  
Author Topic: 2.22 - I Can't Get Started  (Read 93239 times)
bingbong
Town Selectman

Community Points: 1271

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: November 16, 2007, 11:32:40 pm »

...Being thrust out into the real world at such a young age has taught her some hard lessons in life, and this scene is where we see strong evidence of that fact.

It's an interesting contrast in the episodes that follow to see Lorelai understanding the situation while Rory feels resentful about it. Many fans criticize Chris for going to pregnant Sherry but he was trying to be a responsible adult. He also wanted to be part of a family. Chris would have married Lorelai when she was pregnant and gone to work for Lorelai's father but it was Lorelai who rejected that idea. So, even the first time he tried doing the right thing. This was his second chance and although he would have preferred being with Lorelai and Rory he had to take this second chance. I agree it's to Lorelai's credit that she was able to see beyond her emotions and understand.

Signature courtesy of SKFTEX
LoveMe011
Chilton Graduate

Community Points: 104

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 16, 2007, 11:46:39 pm »

...Being thrust out into the real world at such a young age has taught her some hard lessons in life, and this scene is where we see strong evidence of that fact.

Chris would have married Lorelai when she was pregnant and gone to work for Lorelai's father but it was Lorelai who rejected that idea. So, even the first time he tried doing the right thing.

it was all well and fine that he was willing to marry lorelai the first time around, but she was only sixteen. it would have been ridiculous for them to get married and for anyone to expect them to be able to maintain a home and a family at such a young age. psychologyically, the adolescent brain is not fully developed to understand the situations life throws at us. marriage at age 16 could be devastating to one's personality and sense of self in the future. though lorelai rejected christopher's honorable offer the first time, i believe it was for good reason. had they gotten married, christopher would be working for richard and lorelai would be stuck in the gilmore lifestyle. i can't picture that at all.

[Cassy]
-Literati.
-Java Junkie.

Rory:I love you, mom.
Lorelai:Aw...kid, you have no idea.
bingbong
Town Selectman

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 16, 2007, 11:54:29 pm »

I agree that Lorelai made the correct decision in not marrying Chris. My point about Chris is that he did make an attempt to do what he considered the "right" thing. It would likely have been a disaster to get married at that age and for Lorelai to live in a kind of shame in the Hartford community as a single mom. But i don't know if 16 year Lorelai was thinking along those lines. That played into it, but i've always thought her main reason for running away had less to do with Chris and far more to do with Emily and Richard and the whole life that she was born into. Having Rory started out as a mess but turned out to be her salvation.

Imy
Pretty Town Spinster

Community Points: 411

I'm the Literati geek!

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 17, 2007, 07:10:47 am »

^yeah I congratulate Chris for trying to do what he thought was right by trying to take responsibility and marry Lorelai but I give even more congratulations to Lorelai for turning him down because that is what was right and honestly it may have been slightly more convienent to stay in Hartford but what Lorelai did by running away was the right thing for her and for Rory. If Rory had grown up in that house all she would have heard and seen would have been Emily and Lorelai fighting and then Rory and Lorelai would not have had the great relationship that they do.

Imogen~Literati~M.M.M~Java Junkie~Foodie

I'm the Old school music gal! lol Jim!
Do you have a Crazy Corner Emily?! lol
bingbong
Town Selectman

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 17, 2007, 09:22:47 am »

^yeah I congratulate Chris for trying to do what he thought was right by trying to take responsibility and marry Lorelai but I give even more congratulations to Lorelai for turning him down because that is what was right and honestly it may have been slightly more convienent to stay in Hartford but what Lorelai did by running away was the right thing for her and for Rory. If Rory had grown up in that house all she would have heard and seen would have been Emily and Lorelai fighting and then Rory and Lorelai would not have had the great relationship that they do.

That's a great point, that Rory would have grown up in such an unpleasant environment. No doubt some of the arguments would have been over Rory herself, how to raise her, etc. Like Lorelai growing up, Rory would have had the material comforts but it would have been meaningless. In Star's Hollow, Lorelai struggled to get by and they lived part of the time in that shack behind the inn but they had an atmosphere of love and bonding. I think Lorelai and Rory would have bonded closely in either environment but it would have been extremely difficult for Rory with the constant arguing that would have gone on.

Imy
Pretty Town Spinster

Community Points: 411

I'm the Literati geek!

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 17, 2007, 02:19:47 pm »

that's so true. perhaps if Rory grew up in that house she wouldn't be as strong as Lorelai was and perhaps the unmaterialistic Rory we know and love would be more materialistic. and that can't be good.

One of the best parts of this episode is the look on Luke's face when he walks into his apartment and sees Jess standing there. And then the reference to Jodie Foster! it's hilarious I do love a bit of Luke and Jess quality time it's always hilarious!

Imogen~Literati~M.M.M~Java Junkie~Foodie

I'm the Old school music gal! lol Jim!
Do you have a Crazy Corner Emily?! lol
bingbong
Town Selectman

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 17, 2007, 05:42:31 pm »

that's so true. perhaps if Rory grew up in that house she wouldn't be as strong as Lorelai was and perhaps the unmaterialistic Rory we know and love would be more materialistic. and that can't be good.

Rory was not materialistic, i agree, but she did have an open mind to the whole uppity Harvard society, from the first season onwards, up to and including her time with Logan. There was an attraction to her in a way that never existed for Lorelai. Her heart was always in Star's Hollow but she was always intrigued by Hartford as an outsider. If she had grown up in the E & R household i wonder if she not would have been more materialistic but if she would have been as open to the Hartford world. Still, interesting as it is to ponder, it's too hard to imagine Lorelai sticking around for all those years under Emily's iron grip. Her destiny was elsewhere.

One of the best parts of this episode is the look on Luke's face when he walks into his apartment and sees Jess standing there. And then the reference to Jodie Foster! it's hilarious I do love a bit of Luke and Jess quality time it's always hilarious![/color]

I posted somewhere else that Luke and Jess had a better relationship with each other than with their Gilmore Girls. I like this scene also, although it bugs me to know that Luke laid the ground rules to Jess about school and Jess never made an effort to follow through. My favorite line of this scene is when Luke says, "I didnít expect you to call me back so we could sit on the phone in bed and watch Sleepless in Seattle together."† That makes for a hilarious visual!

LoveMe011
Chilton Graduate

Community Points: 104

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 20, 2007, 11:59:01 am »

^ agreed! just picturing jess wearing sweatpants and a tshirt and socks, sitting on his bed with a cup of coffee in one hand, the other hand holding the phone to his ear and a box of tissue on the bed beside him and luke in a similar scenario makes me laugh pretty hard. 

by the way, happy 100th post to me!!

[Cassy]
-Literati.
-Java Junkie.

Rory:I love you, mom.
Lorelai:Aw...kid, you have no idea.
bingbong
Town Selectman

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 21, 2007, 11:31:12 am »

^ lol - Cassy, you've really painted a picture! Sucked all the male dignity out of poor Luke and Jess!   Cheesy

starshells
Town Troubadour

Community Points: 7

I'm Glad He Didn't Smoke It

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 11, 2008, 02:23:42 pm »

I watch Gilmore Girls every afternoon at 2pm on ABC family, and this was yesterdays episode...

I seriously held my breath when Rory kissed Jess! I was like "That has been soooo long coming!!" but she really should have just told Dean, it would have saved her allot of probems.... anyways and Sookie is sooo funny, she is definitly one of my favorites!!
  Grin

^ sig by gilmorefriend
<33 Literati Fan~ Java Junkies Forever! <33
TheFrenchDean
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 0

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 26, 2008, 01:37:26 pm »

Hi there,

I watched this episode yesterday with my girlfriend and she really like the tshirt Rory was wearing, you know: the red and black one with "Strange 13" on it. Nicely spooky.

And the fact is, our two-years anniversary is coming in a few weeks !
So of course I thought it would be very cool if I find this tshirt somewhere and give her as a present.

But... do you know a website where I can buy this one ? Some kind of "Gilmore Girls FanShop" ?
I fail when I google for it ... Undecided
TheFrenchDean
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 0

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 03, 2008, 03:06:32 pm »

no idea ?  Huh
bingbong
Town Selectman

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 26, 2008, 10:24:44 pm »

I cannot hear Christopher say "Sherry's pregnant" without imagining a cheesy soap opera organ. Stranger things have happened in real life than the, ahem, unfortunate timing of Sherry's pregancy. But i'm not a fan of such coincidental twists on tv shows, and this was the first whopper of a soap opera moment on GG. The writers made it emphatically clear this season, they don't want Lorelai to settle down with (or settle for) anyone.

At least one post on this thread excused Christopher for being on a break with Sherry (Ross & Rachel, anyone?), but that's an iffy technicality at best. Even aside from the pregnancy, he slept with Lorelai and made verbal commitments to her and Rory before officially breaking up with Sherry. Passion can rule the moment, but another woman was still in the picture and his daughter will once again be disappointed by her father. Lorelai deserves partial responsibility because she knew the situation and took the plunge anyway. But it's understandable that the guy she had sort of been "waiting for" now appeared to be available and she went for it. Unlike Christopher, she was not involved with anyone else. Woah, it would have been an even juicier soap opera if Lorelai had become pregnant after the one-nighter. She could have had another girl and named her Sookie in honor of the occasion of conception.

Other Christopher questions about this mess that the writers probably didn't care about but nag at me: Did he have unprotected sex with Sherry and mentally block out the possibility of a pregnancy? Has he not learned the importance of using a "raincoat" since Lorelai's teenage pregnancy? Did Sherry get pregnant accidentally-on-purpose in a desperate attempt to save their relationship?

Rory has her "road trip to Harvard" moment when she decides to go to Washington, complete with a pre-arranged excuse courtesy of the junior leadership program. Apparently the stomache ache of a summer with her two gentleman callers would be more painful than the stomache ache of a summer with Paris. I can't avoid the thought that Lorelai running away from the Max wedding had some kind of impact on Rory. She can rationalize the Washington trip as an obligation that will bolster her resume for Harvard (i imagine that's how she explained it to Dean), but the aspect of her running away from a guy problem and the parallel with Lorelai is unavoidable to me.

On the other hand, Lorelai deserves credit for taking the initiative in trying to patch things up with Mr. Freeze. A note written on Garfield stationary, followed by looking Luke in the eye with sincere regrets? Well done, for a change. But this is not a romantic issue, it's about friendship right now, and that's easier for her to face up to. She will soon figure out that Mimi's appearance is necessary to defrost this guy.

Big difference between Jess being forced to live in a place against his will and returning by his own choice. I think Luke's motivation for taking him back was his ongoing determination to help Jess and correct the mess that has already taken place under his watch. Against all odds, against his better judgment and suspecting Jess' real motivation for returning, Luke won't give up on his nephew.

I loved Emily's reaction to the "pity invite" with the cracks about bringing their own chicken & fish and picking up extra ice. Those moments remind me that Lorelai's quick wit is inherited from her mother, although with Emily there is the darker, snarky element. What's even better is the fact that someone did cancel, precisely as Emily suspected. I'm sure she's been on the other end of many pity invites. I also loved the rationale for accepting the invitation, that it would have been equally rude and they are rising above it. Emily doesn't rise above anything until she's made her snarky points first.

Paris' "snack cakes will not change the world" speech was about as non-snarky as she is capable of being in a public speech, but the attitude of "prove you're not idiots by voting for me" was bubbling under the surface. The need for clearly marked boys and girls restrooms gave me an image of Brad accidentally walking in on Paris. Most noteworthy was afterwards, the way she brushed aside her low likeability rating until she realized it could cost her the election. Most people, especially teenagers, would experience at least a hint of hurt feelings at being considered "scary." But aside from the occasional desire for popularity with boys, Paris generally puts herself above the rabble. For her campaign, like a true cold-blooded politician, she sublimated all personal feelings to the goal of victory. And while i don't doubt that she craves the power, the clincher was referring to Harvard "loving this kind of crap." A strong selling point to Rory (better than "every little girl wants to be vice president" and "you look like little birds help you get dressed in the morning") and for herself as well. She always has her eyes on the big prize.

I wish we had gotten to see the wedding ceremony and reception, but the preparation scenes were fun. I love the opening scene of Sookie considering songs without any regard for the appropriateness to the occasion. Ah, the thought of their first dance to "Cat's in the Cradle!" She should have considered something inappropriate by Jackson's faves, CCR. How about "Bad Moon Rising"? Sookie's panic scene in the wedding dress was very sweet, especially Lorelai telling her she looks beautiful in the dress. But the most poignant moment is when Sookie says "i don't want to get divorced." Like many people, she has the scary thought of a marriage going stale. But unlike her best friend, Sookie has found her perfect mate.

wmushell
Diner Waitress

Community Points: 950

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 27, 2008, 12:10:21 am »

Wow Jim, I'm loving your analysis here and I have this temptation to Nod and just be done with this post!† †Grin

However, I'll try a little bit of response - but kinda short I'm afraid due to too much birthday today.† †Wink

Firstly, I definitely think Emily enjoys, in a way, knowing she has been snubbed from the wedding because it allows her to add snarky commentary to it all.† And you are right on the money when you say she and Lorelai share that quick wit, and yet she is able to take it to a tad darker place.†

I cannot hear Christopher say "Sherry's pregnant" without imagining a cheesy soap opera organ. Stranger things have happened in real life than the, ahem, unfortunate timing of Sherry's pregancy. But i'm not a fan of such coincidental twists on tv shows, and this was the first whopper of a soap opera moment on GG.

Yes, the timing is suspect for sure!† Nod† You can almost hear announcer guy introducing the epi, "Tonight on a very special season finale of Gilmore Girls, Christopher must make the choice of a lifetime . . . the family he has left behind or a new family for the future."† Grin† However, it is all very poetic as I love all GG plot twists concerning Christopher -- I am absolutely fascinated by this life-long relationship and bond he and Lorelai share.† Now, I'm a java junkie and do not think that Lorelai belongs with Christopher, but rather see him as the guy she makes a lot of mistakes with in her life that will eventually enable her to be with Luke fully (and I mean the getting together that finally occurs in the series finale after they have their share of serious issues, but that's a journey in itself as well for another post).† But - Christopher is the father of her child and has honestly helped shape her views on relationships and men for years to come.† So, it is quite something to witness them getting together and then a little wrench thrown in with Sherry calling him the next day.† I think Lorelai really handles it as well as can be expected.† As her hopes and dreams for her life flash in her mind she thinks that she's missed out on the full package yet again, which is such a painful thing.† I like how it all carries over into the first couple of epis of season 3 - it provides yet even a little more depth to this character who is already so complex.†

Hee - I'm looking forward to the appearance of Mimi!† How can Mr. Freeze resist her, really?

Hmmm, what can I say about Rory kissing Jess?† Oh, I know.† Who on Earth kisses another guy when your boyfriend looks like this?† I'm just sayin' - Dean's having a mighty good hair day.† Nod

bingbong
Town Selectman

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 27, 2008, 09:06:39 am »

Michelle, is it possible to get too much birthday? Lucky for us you went ahead with your post!† †Smiley

... it is quite something to witness them getting together and then a little wrench thrown in with Sherry calling him the next day.† I think Lorelai really handles it as well as can be expected.† As her hopes and dreams for her life flash in her mind she thinks that she's missed out on the full package yet again, which is such a painful thing.† I like how it all carries over into the first couple of epis of season 3 - it provides yet even a little more depth to this character who is already so complex.†

I initially read the word as "wench" instead of "wrench", which would have worked just as well for me!† †Wink

I've seen Christopher take guff on the org for staying with Sherry, but Lorelai expresses an understanding of his predicament and does not fault him for his decision, even though her heart was shattered. She did not have to respond so understandably and could have given him a tongue-lashing, some of which might have been justified. But she understands his desire to be a full-time dad for the new child. Maybe it played into her guilt over the aspect of their past where she shut him out.

Christopher's options were limited. If he had chosen to be with Lorelai & Rory and being a long-distance father for Gigi, he'd be repeating the experience of not being around for Rory. Sure, it was not exactly Christopher's decision the first time: Lorelai declined his marriage proposal at age 16 and she ran away with Rory, while this time it would be Christopher's choice to be separate from Gigi. But it would be the same result of him being apart from the full-time raising of his child, and possibly even harder the second time. If he alternately attempted to live nearby Sherry and Gigi in Boston while being in a long-distance relationship with Lorelai, it almost surely wouldn't work.

I think Lorelai & Christopher make a great couple much of the time. But these characters have to wonder if their stars will ever be aligned or if they are forever star-crossed. For any java junkie who ignores Fast Forwardy Land, it's a sunshiny day. Max and Christopher have both been elminated from the competition and who else is in the picture?

I think the sad reality is that a child won't save Christopher and Sherry's relationship. Even if we ignore Sherry's eventual abandonment of Gigi, they were already on the outs and, long-term, problems would likely surface again; that's how these things often go. Couples who attempt to stay together "for the sake of the child" often break-up anyway and probably do more harm to the child in the process.

Ha, i don't know if Dean was having a good hair day, but Rory was more in the mood for Jess' pseudo-pompadour thing (although his hair has been bigger)!

I forgot to say on my previous post that Kirk has the same singing voice as my dog.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11
  Print  

Jump to: