Author Topic: 3.02 - Haunted Leg  (Read 45931 times)

Offline gg crazy

• Diner Chef
  • Community Points: 4
  • :)
    • View Profile
    • Cobra Starship~ Billie Jean (cover)
Re: 3.02 - Haunted Leg
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2008, 09:14:23 am »
Lorelai: kirk asked me out

Rory: shut up!

lol!!! :D

I love this episode soooo funny!!!!

Offline lessa

• Diner Chef
  • Community Points: 286
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2008, 09:53:04 am »
"By the way, I think you might be the prettiest girl I’ve ever seen. . .outside of a really filthy magazine." Egads is the woman made of stone?

But I like the idea that it wouldn't have mattered who asked her out. The truth may have been her final option, but it definitely worked.

Speaking of which, I never properly understood why Rory represented for Francie instead of telling Paris the truth. I mean, who's Paris gonna believe, her straight-shooter VP or the Puff queen who's held a grudge since Rory rejected her in front of the headmaster to escape suspension? And telling Paris that Francie was threatening to fillibuster could only have had one of two effects- Paris agreeing in the interest of politics, or Paris taking out the Senior class president with extreme prejudice.

Instead, she swears that raising the hemlines will make Paris beloved. I mean, I get that a desire for popularity is Paris's secret weakness, but something about the way Rory carried the message makes it sound like her own weakness is a desire to let people push her around.

Offline Sooks

• Inn Bellhop
  • Community Points: 1464
  • Life is Beautiful ~N. Sixx
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2008, 04:01:40 pm »
I never really understood that either, lessa. I understand that Paris would secretly want to the popularity, so Rory may see this s a benefit to both parties, however, Paris is her friend. The only thing I could think of was that Rory hates conflict, and this must have been another way to try to keep the peace. I think as the seasons progress, Rory starts to get a bit stronger in her stance on things, however, still, she's one that doesn't seem to truly understand the importance of standing up for herself unless provoked in the worst way.

This is definitely one of my favorite seasons 3 episodes. I love the interaction that the characters have with each other during the whole thing. It's definitely a wonderful example of the strong writing that Gilmore Girls once had. I can't help but watch the Chris/Lorelai scene at Emily's over and over. The powerful language they used not just verbally but physically, stellar moment! And silently, I wonder how much Chris was right when asking Lorelai what she said to get Rory 'there' - though Lorelai says she can get there on her own...it was seeing her mother, friend, so upset by Chris as well...not to say that Rory didn't get hurt over and over by him as well. I don't know that she'd have said anything if it weren't for the two of them debating in the entrance that night. This was one of those scenes that you truly felt how the characters was feeling. And though I can see both sides to the story, I have to say that I come away with the question of why Lorelai went out after getting that upset and wanting Chris to leave, just to tell him that it would take time. He would have figured that I think. I understand, she felt bad probably but it's always this back and fourth game of good terms and bad terms with them. Sad really. Rory wants a father in her life, I get that. It's just such a complex relationship that the three of them have.

Way to go, Emily...you tell him! I'm glad that she finally stood up and said something, after all it is her house. Even if it was just the fact that two were getting on her nerves, she showed respect for Lorelai, her daughter at that moment. To help her when she was in a tough place. I know Lorelai suspected her reasoning, but the history's thick there too.

I was wondering that same thing about Christopher riding his motorcycle all the way home, in his state of mind. I would have thought he'd have had a pretty tough time. Though, maybe it was good to feel the cool breeze blowing in your face, the rush I hear is amazing. Perhaps it helped him clear his head a little?!

I love this show for the complexity that it brings to the relationships within the storyline.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 04:07:00 pm by Sooks »

Please read the Forum Rules and enjoy~
~NO DAY BUT TODAY~

Offline honkifuluvGG

• Pretty Town Spinster
  • Community Points: 1944
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2008, 06:49:55 pm »
I honestly believe that this episode was one of the most brilliantly written episodes in all the seven season of Gilmore Girls.  There is not one line wasted in this script.  Every major plot line was written and delivered perfectly as well as every little filler bit.  Everything from the opening Friday Night Dinner, the common cold ailment (pun intended), the entire conversation in ten words or less, Luke's dig at Lorelai's poor diet, to Kirk asking Lorelai out, Michel and his rodent friend and of course the powerful scene at Emily's with Chris and Lorelai and Rory was just brilliant.  I watch the episode trying to pick my favourite line or part and seriously want to mention every single scene in it.  This was GG at it's best.

I love the discussion that has brought about the notion that Kirk was just a braver version of Luke in asking Lorelai out in this episode.  It's so true.  And although I so wished that Luke had the guts to do what Kirk did, I'm thinking it was probably for the best that he was still floundering in his fearful indecision to declare his feeling for Lorelai.  I mean seriously, she was not ready for it and neither was he really. 

And I'm also of the frame of mind that Rory really went about the whole Francie thing all wrong.  Whilst  I get her non-confrontational side completely, Rory has already experienced so many highs and lows with Paris that I couldn't fathom why she just didn't rat Francie out so that they could present a united front to put her in her place.

Please read Forum Rules

Offline lessa

• Diner Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2008, 07:24:40 pm »
Well, how about this? Rory thought Paris was wrong. She was afraid Paris's controlling habits and rigid agenda could do as much damage as Francie's pandering distractions (let alone open warfare between the two,) and she chose professionalism over friendship? Jeez, as it was, she was lucky Paris didn't reward her sensitivity to the students' desire for sexy skirts by making her chair some sort of Lame Issue Committee.

It's funny, I mean, logically it doesn't pay out, but it's really not that different from the way she arranges truces between Lorelai and Emily, sort of giving them each a little of what they want without telling the whole truth to either side. Like she cares more about them not fighting than she does about what they're fighting over.

Heh I love lunch at the diner, too. When Emily talks about Lorelai with Christopher, Lorelai screams and cuts her off. When Luke talks about her with Kirk, she sweetly tells him to stick his face in boiling oil. Some people really don't like being set up! XD

Offline honkifuluvGG

• Pretty Town Spinster
  • Community Points: 1944
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2008, 07:41:36 pm »
That's a good point about Rory's usual method for conflict resolution lessa.  I guess I was only looking at it from the side of her previous feelings in conflict with Paris and that her usual nature is to have as little of that as possible.  But when you look at the way she makes peace in Emily/Lorelai situations, she is very true to character in that scene.

And yep the lunch at the diner was great.  But then I love just about all of the diner scenes.

Please read Forum Rules

Offline Sooks

• Inn Bellhop
  • Community Points: 1464
  • Life is Beautiful ~N. Sixx
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2008, 10:28:46 am »
Well, how about this? Rory thought Paris was wrong. She was afraid Paris's controlling habits and rigid agenda could do as much damage as Francie's pandering distractions (let alone open warfare between the two,) and she chose professionalism over friendship? Jeez, as it was, she was lucky Paris didn't reward her sensitivity to the students' desire for sexy skirts by making her chair some sort of Lame Issue Committee.

It's funny, I mean, logically it doesn't pay out, but it's really not that different from the way she arranges truces between Lorelai and Emily, sort of giving them each a little of what they want without telling the whole truth to either side. Like she cares more about them not fighting than she does about what they're fighting over.
Well said, lessa! I really like how you have a way in bringing up other points that others may not see, very insightful! ;D I can see where you're coming from, especially the point about how she arranges truces with Lorelai and Emily. She's very good at that. She also has stepped in between Paris and the other random individual she's having a problem with, and basically told them to take a break and think it out. When I think harder about the times Rory has stood her ground, I can see she does. I was just saying that it normally isn't until after she's provoked or pushed to the very last limite.

Please read the Forum Rules and enjoy~
~NO DAY BUT TODAY~

Offline lessa

• Diner Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2008, 01:09:02 pm »
Heh, yeah, it seems like Lane is the only person she's completely honest about everything with. Every girl should have at least one friend she doesn't need to manipulate, like Lorelai has Sookie. I like that they have best friends besides each other, it sort of keeps their freakish link realistic.

There were a few other things about this episode, too. Like the title, "Haunted Leg," and the rant it came from. I got the niggling feeling that Lorelai somehow got her wish for a serious ailment here, but I can't quite assemble the metaphor. But it reminded me of my other famous attempt at poetic analogy - this episode does prove Lorelai does not chase every bit of tail that jiggles her line. XD

Offline thevoid99

• Diner Regular
  • Community Points: 19
  • Shame on our dirty little hearts
    • View Profile
    • thevoid99
« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2008, 03:41:38 pm »
I love this episode.  It was both funny and sad.

Kirk wanting to date Lorelai... ha-ha!  And Luke was singing!  He has to be amused every once in a while.

I don't like that Francie.  She's trying to use Rory for her own gains and destroy Paris. 

Rory is still naive, especially on dealing with Jess.  Jess has every right to be angry. 

Christophool!  Man, he shows up on Friday Night Dinner and ends up pissing off all the Gilmore Girls.  First he angers Lorelai over the fact that he's still with Sherry.  Rory is angry at him for breaking the promise he made back at Sookie's wedding.  Emily is angry because both girls are upset.  Though Emily wanted Lorelai and Chris to get back together.  Realizing that he f*cked up and angered both Lorelai and Rory, she did the right thing in making him leave. 

Offline Gilmore Gyrlie

• Town Resident
  • Community Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2009, 05:51:42 pm »
loved when Emily told Christopher to BEAT FEET.

He grated my nerves whining that he hated how things ended up, ummmmmmmmmmmmm CONDOM Much?

both he and Jess annoyed me.

where is my gyrl Lane, this show needs more of her.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 05:54:14 pm by Gilmore Gyrlie »