GilmoreGirls.org Forum
June 24, 2022, 09:12:06 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: TV  Remember that feeling you got when watching Gilmore episodes for the first time?  Relive it!  With us!  Join the viewing party, A Gilmore RevisitingTV

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13
  Print  
Author Topic: 3.07 - The Shoot Gilmores, Don't They?  (Read 124451 times)
bingbong
Town Selectman

Community Points: 1271

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: June 28, 2007, 08:12:57 am »

Well, see, Dean was just following Rory's example. I mean, Rory is a Gilmore, and although she spent her formative years in Stars Hollow, all those Friday night dinners at her grandparents' and spending time at Chilton must have taught her something about manners at etiquette. Plus the coming out party... So, when Rory aired her problems with Jess in public (making a scene about him being there, continuing to argue with him, and doing it all while dancing in Dean's arms) Dean just naturally assumed that public scenes were good manners. And, besides the highbrow manners, Rory should know what's appropriate for a Stars Hollow event, as well. No wonder Dean thought it was okay to break up with her in public, since she made no effort to hide her interest in Jess from everyone at the dance (not that anyone but the main players were paying attention).

This post is brought to you by the letters "snark" and "sarcasm"

Sarcasm or not, that's right on the money (but not demon trust fund money). However, whatever manners Rory may have picked up from Emily & Richard, they were likely trumped by those of Lorelai, who similarly does not do well when it comes to directness with men. Were you serious about the coming out party? Not even Richard took that seriously, and i thought it was just another example of Rory trying to do something nice to pacify her grandma. But yeah, Gilmore or not, inexperienced teenager or not, Rory is supposed to be a conscientious person who should have known better. And it did not help Rory's cause that she started crying afterwards. Why should she cry? She got what she wanted: Jess. Well, actually, i can believe that she would cry over the situatioin, whether or not it is justified or rational.

... the episode title is based on the book by Horace McCoy called "They Shoot Horses, Don't They?"
It's about a dance marathon in the '30s and REALLY weird, but REALLY good.

It was also made into a really good movie that came out in the early '70s. Some of it is extremely sad but you will really get caught up in following the characters.

Another possible reason for the episode title: You shoot horses when they break a leg and are beyond recovery, and likewise the Rory/Dean relationship was "shot dead" in this episode. Rory & Dean are now out of each other's misery, just like a wounded horse is out of its suffering misery.  
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 08:25:47 am by bingbong » Logged

Signature courtesy of SKFTEX
Dani257
Pretty Town Spinster

Community Points: 242

I post. Deal with it.

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 28, 2007, 09:43:05 am »

No, I wasn't serious about the coming out party.  At least, not how I think you think I meant it.  I wasn't making a direct correlation between Rory's interaction with her grandparents and her behavior at the marathon.  I don't really think they teach dance marathon etiquette to debutantes or anything like that.  What I was serious about was the implication that if Dean was terribly wrong for breaking up with Rory, in public, than Rory should also get her fair share of flack for everything she did publicly.   

I'm not sure how to explain the rest, because it didn't occur to me that my comment about a coming out party would be taken literally.  The specifics were just adding to the sarcastic portion of my post.  Like I said, it's clear to me how I meant it, but that's actually why I can't clear up the confusion. All I can say is, the details of the post were sarcastic.  Not to be taken at face value.  Maybe this?  If anyone should know the bare minimum of good manners, it should be Rory. (Add a few snarky examples of her interaction with her grandparents, who care about all the society manners -at least Emily)  So, why shouldn't a shouldn't someone like Dean follow her example?  Um, is that any better?

A bit leaner, but still chock full of demonic glory.  (Still pro Logan)
100% supportive of Alexis Bledel

http://www.associatedcontent.com/user/8624/angela_tircuit.html
bingbong
Town Selectman

Community Points: 1271

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 28, 2007, 09:52:19 am »

I got the jist of what you said on both posts. Maybe i'm always thrown off the your demon Logan sig! But, seriously folks, even if you were being sarcastic i think you raised the valid points that Rory should have known better and whatever she got she deserved. I think Dean could have been even tougher on her, in fact.

Signature courtesy of SKFTEX
Dani257
Pretty Town Spinster

I post. Deal with it.

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 28, 2007, 11:28:08 am »

I also wouldn't have minded (understatement!) if Dean had been harsher.  Well, no.  Like I've said too many times, that break up was a thing of beauty and a joy forever.  As deserving as a few extra knocks to Rory would have been, it would have marred the perfection of that exit.

gilmorefriend
Official Gilmore Girl

Community Points: 1354

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 30, 2007, 11:16:34 pm »

Yeah. It would of been a better episode if Dean was meaner. If Rory had married Dean in season 5, would you have stopped watching the show?

THIS ACCOUNT IS SO OLD BUT I DON'T HAVE THE HEART TO DELETE IT PRETEND I DON'T EXIST
Dani257
Pretty Town Spinster

I post. Deal with it.

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 02, 2007, 09:27:49 pm »

No, most likely I wouldn't have stopped watching.  It would have just given me oodles of snarking material to work with.

gilmorefriend
Official Gilmore Girl

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 03, 2007, 05:25:27 pm »

No, most likely I wouldn't have stopped watching. It would have just given me oodles of snarking material to work with.
I think Oodles is a funnier word than poodles.

THIS ACCOUNT IS SO OLD BUT I DON'T HAVE THE HEART TO DELETE IT PRETEND I DON'T EXIST
gilmoregirlfreak
Town Resident

Community Points: 3

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 21, 2007, 07:21:48 pm »

i think it was sweet when rory is crying where she and jess ate the picnic at in season 2 and jess tells her deans a jerk and how they both admitt how much they like eachother.

Imy
Pretty Town Spinster

Community Points: 411

I'm the Literati geek!

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 23, 2007, 07:17:14 am »

Yeah. It would of been a better episode if Dean was meaner. If Rory had married Dean in season 5, would you have stopped watching the show?
wow if Dean and Rory got married I think I would probably want to stop watching but I wouldn't.

Imogen~Literati~M.M.M~Java Junkie~Foodie

I'm the Old school music gal! lol Jim!
Do you have a Crazy Corner Emily?! lol
logansLover
« Reply #129 on: September 25, 2007, 10:05:49 am »

If Dean and Rory had been married, I would have Burned my DVDs! Dean, is what I feel to be, Immature. And I feel, that, as Rory became more intrested in Jess, He became more of a Jerk, and pushed her into chosing Jess.
LoveMe011
Chilton Graduate

Community Points: 104

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 29, 2007, 01:29:59 pm »

This is one of my favorites too, but apparently for different reasons.  Because Dean finally gets a spine and tells Rory off.  I won't quote the whole thing, although it is just so beautiful.  But, the last bit: "Everyone can see, Rory! Everyone. And I'm tired, but I'm over it, so go ahead, go. Be together. There's nothing standing in your way now, 'cause I'm out."  And, then he walks away.  Didn't need to wait to see if his words had any effect, didn't need to see if she ran to Jess or decided to call him back.  Because he had regained his self respect and that was enough.  If anyone heard a WHOO-HOO, Baby!!! during the episode, that was me.  Ah, Dean.  They got you back later, but for one shining moment, you were the man!

And, I felt sorry for Shane, who didn't deserve Rory trashing her, or Jess just using her as a way to make Rory jealous.

Oh, and one thing I also liked.  Jess has no problems being rude to anyone, but Mrs. Kim gives him "the look" and he immediately adds a "ma'am"  She should be a prison warden:)

i agree with the bold part to a certain extent, but that girl would have to be BLIND not to see exactly what was going on. as a young woman, she should have had the self respect to stand up and say "i refuse to be your toy while you wait around on the girl you REALLY care about to come to her senses. i deserve more than that." but since she didn't, it leads me to believe she's the type of girl who seeks out any attention from guys she can get, no matter how superficial. so as much as i want to feel sorry for her, i can't because she could have walked away from the situation if she really didn't like it.

i'm not a dean fan, but every single thing he said when he stopped dancing and told rory off was true. even a literati can't deny it. the poor guy has sat around for months watching the girl he loves pine for someone he considers unworthy. he's done everything he could think of to win her back and she's just not having it. he has every right to be angry because she's been playing with his emotions, and it was good to see him step up to the plate and put his foot down.

but of course, on the inside, being a literati, the whole time dean was talking i was thinking "see?? you have his permission now. GO FOR IT!" i thought it was pretty cool when jess was talking to rory about it. he made absolutely sure that everything with dean was 100% over with and then said he had to go take care of something, which was giving shane the boot. as shady as that might have seemed to shane, i reiterate my statement about feeling sorry for her. but i thought it was very respectful of jess to go take care of shane BEFORE he grabbed rory and kissed her like we all know he wanted to right then.

=]
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 01:34:26 pm by LoveMe011 » Logged

[Cassy]
-Literati.
-Java Junkie.

Rory:I love you, mom.
Lorelai:Aw...kid, you have no idea.
gilmoregirlfreak
Town Resident

Community Points: 3

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 30, 2007, 04:53:17 pm »

does any1 know where i can watch this other than tv or dvds?

gilmorefriend
Official Gilmore Girl

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 31, 2007, 06:18:17 am »

Taylor- You can get the clips from www.gilmorefan.com
I loved when Rory and Dean broke up. And, when Jess and Rory were talking at the end.

Imy
Pretty Town Spinster

Community Points: 411

I'm the Literati geek!

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 31, 2007, 09:42:35 am »

If Dean and Rory had been married, I would have Burned my DVDs! Dean, is what I feel to be, Immature. And I feel, that, as Rory became more intrested in Jess, He became more of a Jerk, and pushed her into chosing Jess.
lmao that's hilarious! But I don't have DVDs to burn those would be my sister's. Gosh if Rory did marry Dean I would just like fast-foward the bits with Rory in them and only focus on the rest of the town! LOL

Imogen~Literati~M.M.M~Java Junkie~Foodie

I'm the Old school music gal! lol Jim!
Do you have a Crazy Corner Emily?! lol
SIDNEY
Chilton Graduate

Community Points: 322

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 06, 2007, 12:30:12 am »

I like this episode very much! I love the dance marathon, want to be in one someday. Of course finding a dancing- partner will be hard but anyway i'm not interested in wining, just for the fun of it!   Wink

I'm not surprised of the break up scene. Rory made fun from the beginning of the people who fight in public and that sounded harsh to  me that she didn't care of how Andrew felt for example and it was only a form of justice how she herself ended up in that position.

I think she toyed with Dean long enough and he was very patient with her. I'm just glad that he was the one to break up with her. He didn't deserve to be treated like trash and i'm glad he kept what's left of his pride. Rory was so selfish and insensitive and was denying what's obvious.

I think it's funny how Kirk is very committed to winning that dance because it's the only thing he has. Ok, that is also sad. I think Lorelai only wanted to win to tease him.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 12:34:44 am by SIDNEY » Logged

Billy: Are we over the rainbow, Ally? Is this it? We used to sing as kids "over the rainbow".
We've gone from being people with bright futures to people who should be living their futures now.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13
  Print  

Jump to: