GilmoreGirls.org Forum
January 20, 2022, 02:41:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Star  We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's best Gilmore Girls forum. The ORG Forum will be just that. Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster.  Star 

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
  Print  
Author Topic: 3.06 - Take the Deviled Eggs...  (Read 62360 times)
SIDNEY
Chilton Graduate

Community Points: 322

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 05, 2008, 08:26:43 am »

I can't stand Sherry and i can't stand that i can't find any serious fault with her in this episode! She's her usual annoying self, but that's the worst i can say. Where's the loathsome Sherry manipulation? She doesn't know about the hanky-panky between Lorelai and Christopher in "I Can't Get Started" and i don't see her as trying to stick anything in Lorelai's face. Quite the opposite, she's viewing Lorelai as the person who helped bring Christopher back to her! I don't always take her at her word, but i see no reason to doubt that she means it.

I always have this feeling when i see this scene that Sherry suspects something happened between Lorelai and Chris and that is why she is being extra nice to manipulate the situation and put Lorelai in the spot. I just think it's too weird the way she thanked Lorelai on and on. Just like she was trying too hard to make the whole thing seems genuine.

However, the de facto result for Lorelai amounts to the whole thing with Christopher being shoved in her face. A full day of reminders from Sherry's cackling voice of what could have been Lorelai's own happy life. I cut Lorelai some slack because that's a hard thing to take, but it brings out some bad moments for her. Her rant to Rory in the bathroom comes across as petty. She is already feeling insecure about Rory going off to college next year and she's feeling territorial about her daughter, but that's nothing new. It reminded me of "The Bracebridge Dinner," when she didn't tell Rory about Christopher requesting her to join him and Sherry for the holidays. Or, her epic battles with Emily & Richard over her. Ok, her defenses automatically go up, but she could try taking a breath and remembering the deep bond she has with Rory. She uses it as one more excuse to fuel her resentment over the pregnancy.

I have been watching the early seasons of GG and it just hits me how immature Lorelai was. A little too much. It's one thing to have these feelings over the whole Chris thing and a completely another thing to let herself drown in it and yet another thing to let her daughterr witnesses it. It's just so pathetic!!!! I don't think Lorelai is being the best mom here. In comparison, Emily would never do that. She would pretend to be strong till the crisis passes. "Fake it till you make it" sort of thing.
Lorelai was the one who didn't go for Chris but when he is with someone else she suddenly feels like the victim. I like Lorelai but this episode is not one of the episode where i root for her.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 08:30:01 am by SIDNEY » Logged

Billy: Are we over the rainbow, Ally? Is this it? We used to sing as kids "over the rainbow".
We've gone from being people with bright futures to people who should be living their futures now.
laurla205
Gilmore Maid

Community Points: 384

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 05, 2008, 01:06:22 pm »

*sigh* speaking as someone who has had their car egged by young neighborhood miscreants, I cannot condone that behavior.† Itís not pretty and Iím telling you, that smell never ever goes away.† I still get a whiff of it now and then when it rains, four years later.†

I donít doubt Sherryís statements that Lorelai ended up sending Christopher back to her a changed man.† I donít doubt that she believes it or is honestly thanking Lorelai for it.† Iím sure that, since Lorelai said as much to Rory on their drive home, nothing Sherry said to her was said in an intentionally in-your-face kind of way.† I do think she was marking her territory similar to when she told Lorelai that they didnít have to be friends but that Rory would be a part of her and Christopherís life.† Sherry should never have insisted Lorelai join the party.† I canít imagine any situation where that makes sense even with Sherry thinking Lorelai and Christopher hadnít been an item since they were 16.† What was she doing downstairs when they pulled up anyway (while everyone else was upstairs partying it up).† I can understand her feeling comfortable with Lorelai because Lorelai is the only other mom she knows but the fact that Christopher fathered both of their children should have trumped that whether it was out of concern for Rory or not.†

I do think that Rory enjoyed the egging mostly because of the car issue.† Lane expressed the opinion that it wasnít fair that Jess had a car while Rory was walking everywhere (I still do not think that all of the blame should be put on him in that way) and as a result I assume that Rory had a pang of jealousy the first time she and Lorelai saw him driving it, even if it was only fleeting because of her need to not be the angelic victim.† I do agree that perhaps it was all things Jess that caused her to be so enthusiastic but they way it went down, I think ultimately to Rory it represented Roryís frustration over the car.† To Lorelai I think it represented her frustration over Christopher, Jess being the target was only a bonus.†

Random thoughts:

If not for the invitation I wonder when or how Rory would have told Lorelai that she was speaking to Christopher again.†

Kirk fumbling about with car jargon sounds a lot like Luke fumbling when trying to answer Lorelai about where Jess got the car.† Both Luke and Kirk were called out on their respective lack of knowledge.

I think itís a good thing DP wrote this episode, thereís no telling what ASP would have had Lorelai doing with those eggs (Iíve read that ASP had a much harsher way of writing for Lorelai than DP did).†
bingbong
Town Selectman

Community Points: 1271

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 05, 2008, 05:16:27 pm »

My guess is that Rory was not going to tell Lorelai about her contact with Christopher until something from the outside forced the issue; if not the invitation, something else. It goes back to earlier questions of Rory's motivations in shutting out Christopher in lockstep with Lorelai, how much for herself and how much for Lorelai. Interesting that she found it in her heart to return his emails, while Lorelai continued shutting him out. I wonder if Lorelai would have responded if he sent her an email. Christopher might have really poured out his heart in his initial email to Rory; with the passage of time, the wound must have healed enough for her to put aside the anger. She is a naturally forgiving type of person anyway, not as stubborn as Lorelai and probably not cut as deeply as her mom by the pregnancy (though deep enough). She might have felt a sense of betraying her mom in communicating with Christopher, even though Lorelai made it clear it would be ok. Or maybe she felt awkwardly caught in the middle, and it was easier for her to keep it secret.

The problem with Sherry is that she stinks of phoniness even when she takes a stab at being genuine. I agree she is looking out for her territory in a similar way to their initial meeting but not, as Sidney suspects, that she is diabolical enough to be lying about everything she's telling Lorelai. She has Christopher and she is carrying their child and that gives her plenty of her own territory. But she is a control freak and insecure and needs everything in its proper place. Rory has her place in Sherry's plan and if she gets a piece of Rory she gets an additional piece of Christopher also. The thing is, if she has any suspicions over Lorelai and Christopher, well, it's for good reason. Lorelai views Sherry as the other woman but Sherry, if she views Lorelai as a romantic threat at all, can justifiably view her the same way. But i think Sherry's bigger concern about Lorelai is in getting her piece of Rory. Everybody wants a piece of Rory!

One of the questions i think about is, what if anything has Christopher told Sherry? He obviously did not disclose his horizontal waltz with Lorelai in "I Can't Get Started," but what about the silent treatment from Rory, how did he explain that? She was not in touch with him for the duration of the summer before their secret emails began. Sherry must have at least asked about Rory. Did he flat-out lie or tell some kind of half-truth?

Signature courtesy of SKFTEX
lessa
Diner Chef

Community Points: 286

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 05, 2008, 07:02:57 pm »

Sherry with ulterior motives? Hmm...

I totally get her coming off as whiny, oversincere, gushing, insensitive, and posessive; she's pregnant. What would be her ulterior motive in making Lorelai squirm, anyway?

Sherry is an overscheduled, overbearing, intelligent, outgoing, stylish, friendly and beautiful woman who fears commitment enough to put off having kids over it. Along comes Christopher, friendly, boyish and charming to knock her off her workaholic treadmill and convince her she can fall in love again. She loosens up a little, he gets his act together, and they learn to take the parts they can get while he tries to meet her agenda half way and she tries to bring order to his emotional baggage.

Christopher and Sherry were in a position of indecision. She didn't know if he was going to be there for her if she committed to having a child, and he had just learned that Lorelai was totally into the new Christopher. The decision to take that chance was taken out of Sherry's hands with the unexpected Gigi, but Christopher was still in two places right up until Lorelai ordered him out of her life.

So now he's done an overnight 180 from being tortured with conflict to all-in, and all Sherry knows about it is that it happened when he was visiting Lorelai, his gorgeous, carefree, hometown ex who totally gets him, from the sloppy CD filing system to the dorky haircut. She wasn't rubbing Lorelai's nose in it, she was pumping her for information. She just stank at it because she didn't guess that Lorelai could leave Christopher adrift for 16 years and still be jealous of his lovers.

bingbong
Town Selectman

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 05, 2008, 08:06:14 pm »

Sherry was oversincere, gushing, insensitive and possessive (i'll pass on whiny) before she was preggers, so i can't see the pending Gigi as an excuse for her personality.

But if there is a villain in the scenario, it's not Sherry. How about the character who doesn't appear, Christopher? Yep, he's doing the right thing by Sherry in his ongoing quest for domestic tranquility. But he's only doing what a decent person is expected to do, take responsibility for his own mess. He's the guy who donated his sperm to Sherry, then went off and had a romp with Lorelai and promised her the moon while he and Sherry were on a sabbatical from each other. He's got one woman carrying his†non-love child, one left out in the cold and one still hoping for a full-time dad and reduced to emails and phone calls.

lessa
Diner Chef

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 05, 2008, 09:05:45 pm »

I don't think so. I mean, she was still annoying, but she was aloof, uninterested in Lorelai personally, and completely secure before the baby.

Chrsitopher isn't villainous, just a shade too virile. He was in the process of breaking up with Sherry to date Lorelai when something happened that changed his whole life, so he spun around in circles for a few months. Think of it this way - Christopher's history would create a perfect storm of confusion in a situation like that, and for a while, Lorelai really was holding his relationship in the palm of her hand. Is it a coincidence that she set him away from herself? Maybe she was thinking Richardy thoughts about what would be best for Christopher.

laurla205
Gilmore Maid

Community Points: 384

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 06, 2008, 03:02:09 pm »

I agree that Rory wouldnít have mentioned corresponding with Christopher until he came up in one way or another, probably the birth of Gigi.† I also agree that Rory was probably not hurt as badly by Christopher going back to Sherry.† While itís a lofty dream of hers for her parents to be together it was a romantic dream of Lorelaiís that had roots in reality.† †

Sherry said Christopher came home a changed man after attending Sookieís wedding with Lorelai.† But he was still a mess in Haunted Leg which was only a few episodes ago so he must be really good at hiding that fact.† I hate to donít think that Christopher would directly lie to Sherry.† He hasnít always been the most upstanding character but I canít remember a time he out and out lied to anyone (maybe we need a reminder that Christopher tried to do the right thing for Lorelai as well once upon a time).† Its possible Sherry didnít really consider the fact that Christopher hadnít seen Rory much.† Sheís pregnant and heís so darn busy doting over her, who has the time?† Plus they started e-mailing I would assume very shortly after Haunted Leg so the summer is all heíd have to explain and Rory was in Washington.† †Christopher canít possibly be villainous, Sherry is as much at fault as he is for the unexpected pregnancy.† It takes two to tango and he didnít know Sherry was pregnant when he and Lorelai decided to give it a go, he thought their relationship was over and all that was left was signing the papers (so to speak).†

It almost sounded like Sherry didn't expect Rory to be a regular part of their lives until she started Harvard (visiting-them-wise).† Being pregnant was requiring enough rearranging without figuring out how Rory fit into their lives while she was pregnant.†

I can definitely see that Sherry might have been pumping Lorelai for information on exactly how Christopher performed the 180.† There seemed to be a question mark at the end of every one of her compliments about "whatever you said".† Perhaps Sherry wanted to harness that sort of influence.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 04:43:33 pm by laurla205 » Logged
thevoid99
Diner Regular

Community Points: 19

Shame on our dirty little hearts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: August 06, 2008, 06:29:42 pm »

Ugh... with those comments.  That Sherry is one obnoxious lady.  I don't think Chris is at fault.  Maybe she manipulated him into sleeping with her at one point and next thing you know, he knocks her up. 

I don't like the guy but I think he was put into a bad position.  Then again, Sherry (pre-pregnancy) does have a rocking body. 
bingbong
Town Selectman

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 06, 2008, 10:00:19 pm »

Well, i did over-state in suggesting Christopher was the villain of the scenario, but i enjoyed reading the objections. He and Sherry are both responsible, that's how it is with these things. I strongly dislike Sherry, but i'm not convinced about her getting pregnant accidentally-on-purpose. As things are, they could be worse but the fact remains, in his aim to do the right thing he is staying with Sherry for the sake of the child. How many relationships survive long-term for the sake of the child? It's the best he can do, i give him his good intentions, but he put himself on a slippery slope and Gigi is on that slope with him.

Christopher and Sherry live together and it would have taken a major effort for him to conceal the trauma he was going through for a period of months. Rory was in D.C. but it didn't change the fact that he became increasingly distraught by her freeze-out and would need to be careful about showing his emotions in front of Sherry. Sherry would have been preoccupied with her overextended life, but she knows how important Rory is to him and would ask about her occasionally. He might have kept it simple and said as little as possible in reply to any questions. Jeez, between his anguish over Rory and his preggers woman, his blood pressure must have gone through the roof.

I like lessa's virility angle because "Swan Song" was on ABC Family today. This is the episode where Lorelai says it took about ten minutes to conceive Rory, including getting dressed and putting on lipstick. Ten minutes! Good ol' Christopher, virile and quick on the draw! Perhaps he's improved to twenty minutes after all these years.

lessa
Diner Chef

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 07, 2008, 03:42:11 pm »

Don't get me started. Really.

I thought he did a lot more than sire Rory in their time together, though. She loved him for some reason. But I could be mistaken in my assumptions. For one thing, when Chris confronted Lorelai in "Haunted Leg" there wasn't any sense of him betraying Sherry, he was trying to make contact with Rory all Summer. He just didn't seem to understand why she and Lorelai were so upset with him.

I was a little confused at the turnaround coming after ICGS instead of "Haunted Leg," I mean, for all Sherry knew, Chris could have just been reacting to the reality of his baby differently than he did to the possibility.  Some dads are like that, they seem noncommittal until they're arbitrarily committed, but once they're stuck with it, everything's all "engines full ahead." I figured it for the fact that he was prepared to give up the love of his life to be the person he wished he was, and he was determined to push himself to the limit to make the most of such an expensive second chance.

If that's the case, pining for Lorelai never even figured in. He was dutifully following Lorelai's instructions to make up his mind and live with it long before he started to suspect his indiscretion could have cost him Rory, too.

wmushell
Diner Waitress

Community Points: 950

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 13, 2008, 08:28:07 am »

I finally had a chance to watch this episode again and I adore it every time.† Everything from the cheesy games at the baby shower to the town loner's protest make this one of my favorites (of which I have about 20† Cheesy).† However, I think the interaction between Lorelai and Rory after leaving Sherry's house is my favorite:

LORELAI: Sheís Rand McNally.
RORY: She should do traffic reports on the radio.
LORELAI: "Hi, this is Sherry Tinsdale. Looks like thereís a tie-up on the boulevard. They appear to be moving every building in Harvard University so now itís just one point three miles from my house. Nice job, guys."
RORY: Youíre awful.
LORELAI: "Oh, and lots of cars stopped at a blue light on Garvey Avenue. Why a blue light? Well, Ďcause blueís the new red."

I love it and thoroughly enjoy how the whole "green is the new pink" bit is referenced two more times in later episodes.† Also, being a Sephora girl, I am a fan of this exchange:

RORY: I wonder if heís seen it yet.
LORELAI: Doesnít look like it. Maybe we shouldíve headed for the border.
RORY: Which border?
LORELAI: The one between America and Sephoraland?

Of course, the whole "Stop the noodlescooz!" is classic as well.† I read the whole thread about a week ago and cannot recall if anyone has mentioned this, but Daniel Palladino plays the Town Loner.

I feel it is very appropriate for Lorelai to share her feelings of frustration about the whole Christopher situation with Rory and is neither immature nor a terrible parent for doing so.† First of all, Rory is very much aware of what her parents have been through and how crushed Lorelai was about Sherry getting preggers resulting in Christopher going back to her.† I think it's important to point out here that Gilmore Girls begins with Rory being 16 - not a child anymore.† I remember when I was about 14 or 15 my relationship with my own mother changed a bit in that she started treating me more like an adult that she could she could share things with - the "friendship" aspect deepened and brought us even closer than we already were.† It was well documented in Season 1 that Lorelai kept her romantic entanglements completely out of Rory's life when she was a child.† At the point of this particular episode, Rory is 18 and old enough to be a support system to her mother.† This is part of being a family -- even children of parents who aren't divorced are exposed to the ups and downs in their parents relationship.† As hard as some parents might work to not argue in front of their children, they are not robots and show emotions such as anger and frustration on occassion.† It's just part of life, and I don't think Lorelai should be judged as a mother because of it.† Especially considering the nature of Lorelai and Rory's relationship, it is very much in line with how they communicate with each other.

As far as whether or not Sherry was gloating a bit in Lorelai's face, my personal opinion is yes she was.† The answer as to why she would do such a thing is completely simple in my mind:† she is talking to her fiance's ex.† Even if she didn't know Lorelai and Christopher had done "the deed", it is my experience that females have their antennae up when around any other female that has a history with her man.† What sells me on this is the fact that she made sure to mention how wonderful Christopher has been during the pregnancy . . . kind of a "See how good he is to me?† He loves me and there's nothing you can do about it despite the fact you have a child with him too and he once loved you.† *cackles*"† At least, that's my intepretation of the evil no-hose wearing witch's inner dialogue.† †Wink
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 01:54:08 pm by wmushell » Logged

Gilmore Gyrlie
Town Resident

Community Points: 7

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 19, 2009, 08:13:11 pm »

hated this episode, especially the Aryan breeding remark.

I don't like Jess, but Lorelai and Rory had no business egging his car.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
  Print  

Jump to: