GilmoreGirls.org Forum
December 08, 2021, 08:19:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Star  Are you new to the ORG Forum?  Perhaps you're a longtime member.  Either way, read the Forum rules to stay informed on proper etiquette.  Cheerio!  Star

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: 3.18 - Happy Birthday, Baby  (Read 32162 times)
starshells
Town Troubadour

Community Points: 7

I'm Glad He Didn't Smoke It

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2008, 07:41:59 am »

There is something very interesting about this episdoe. Lorelai's birthday cake actually reads "happy 16th birthday", she is apparently celebrating her birthday from the day she left her parent's house. that is sooo funny and a bit sad.

I agree. Its kinda sad but really funny.

Serious CHEESE Burns??  Grin Grin

I Liked when Luke came over to fix things and he pulled the spoon out of the kitchen disposal?

Luke: You never thought of pulling the spoon out yourself?
Lorelai: Hm.... No.

^ sig by gilmorefriend
<33 Literati Fan~ Java Junkies Forever! <33
Nuttmegg015
Town Troubadour

Community Points: 4

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2008, 06:20:18 pm »

I thought it was sooo cute that rory was planning a birthday party for her mom since her mom did raise her it was a very nice thing to do but must have been hard in such a small town
gg crazy
Diner Chef

Community Points: 4

:)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2008, 07:01:47 pm »

I feel so sorry 4 kirk and his cheese burns!!! i wonder if kirk was working there or if he was just helping? Pizza

gracelandia
Town Selectman

Community Points: 220

{GrAcE}

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2008, 10:37:22 am »

I feel so sorry 4 kirk and his cheese burns!!! i wonder if kirk was working there or if he was just helping? Pizza
Well he works at pretty much every business in Stars Hollow.   Cheesy

AT LAST A MEMBER OF THE CRAZIEE CLUB
I don't look a day over 89 years and 364 days!
Me and Lexie love pink lemonade!!
LoveMe011
Chilton Graduate

Community Points: 104

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2008, 01:12:41 pm »

Isn't it rediculous how Emily blows things out of proportion? I felt bad for Richard because he was totally put on the spot when Lorelai decided to use part of the $75,000 he gave her to pay them back. I can see why Emily was upset; she assumed that, once Lorelai's debt to her parents was paid off, she and Rory would never come back over for dinner. Based on Lorelai's response "...there will still be the occasional Friday Night Dinner," Emily was right. I think Lorelai should have done more to reassure Emily that her paying back the loan was not just a ploy to get out of coming over once a week for dinner.

The cake Rory was ordering from Fran at Weston's sounded pretty awesome...I'd have given anything to be a guest at Lorelai Gilmore's 35th birthday party!

[Cassy]
-Literati.
-Java Junkie.

Rory:I love you, mom.
Lorelai:Aw...kid, you have no idea.
lessa
Diner Chef

Community Points: 286

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2008, 02:11:47 am »

I felt for Emily. I mean, Lorelai pointedly didn't answer when emily asked if she would visit of her own volition. Her speech to Rory made it clear she was doing it against her will and hating it all along. Of course Emily flipped, she contributed a lot more to Rory's prep school years than tuition, and now she's facing going back to the old Christmas and Easter schedule, as though the last three years has meant nothing good to Lorelai. And on her birthday, too, like she was giving herself a present by ridding herself of them.

I get that Emily was karmically paying for her critical hostility to Lorelai, but I don't blame her for secretly harboring the delusion that Lorelai was glad they'd dragged her back into their lives. Lorelai wasn't supposed to feel guilty about clearing her debt to them, she was supposed to feel guilty for withholding Rory and herself from them when she didn't need them.

Rory didn't understand because She would do almost anything for her mother. All the while Lorelai was daydreaming about ridding herself of the unwanted pests that ruined her first sixteenth birthday, Rory was running around like a crazy person to make her feel special. She doesn't get why Lorelai wouldn't give that kind of effort for her own parents.

Loved the condescension in Lorelai's defensive speech, though. "You only know the warm and fuzzy Richard and Emily..." As if! But Rory has the strength to be a giver to people like Jess and Paris, maybe loving the Gilmores for who they are comes a little easier to her.

I guess it's a little like what Luke is going through with Jess. I mean, he was kidding himself that Jess cared about staying or respected his opinion enough to take him seriously about the need for school. Would Luke rather Jess attended school of his own free will or because he was being forced by an arrangement? It was always Jess's intention to seek his independence and move on from his cranky uncle's strangling authority, but just the same - in those moments when their respective dependents were trying so desperately to escape their arrangements, Luke and Emily must have been feeling pretty used.

Sooks
Inn Bellhop

Community Points: 1464

Life is Beautiful ~N. Sixx

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2008, 10:14:47 pm »

I go back and fourth on Emily and how I feel about her. As I've said in another episode thread, Emily and Richard were viewed through the eyes of a teenager growing up in the Gilmore household at one time. Sure, they were terrible parents who were irrational, over protective, cold parents who didn't love their daughter, Loreial. That's what most teens go through at some point in their younger years, parents aren't viewed in a positive light. But now, I wonder if there's some reason that Lorelai can't let go of the past and move on regarding her parents? I know that they haven't been 100% wonderful in her eyes as an adult, I know that she still views them in a negative light, feeling as though they only do things because they 'have to' or feel they 'should'. But I don't know that's always true. Yes, I see how Emily acts sometimes towards Lorelai, but in the end, I think she truly wanted nothing but the very best for her daughter, as any mother would. I think she sometimes has a different way of showing Lorelai that, and her parenting styles haven't always been that of what Lorelai feels they should have been. But Lorelai hasn't been a stellar parent all the time either. No parent can be stellar 100% of the time. It's a learning experience for any parent. Especially the first time they're a parent. Again, I know that Emily hasn't been without fault, but I think that Lorelai sometimes needs to give her a little slack and she just won't. I see myself understanding and 'siding' with Emily a lot more this time through the episodes. It's kind of a fun experience!

I love the pizza saga and Rory's planning for Lorelai's special gift.

I'll have to watch the episode again before I can express more thoughts...but I'll be back for sure! Smiley

Please read the Forum Rules and enjoy~
~NO DAY BUT TODAY~
bingbong
Town Selectman

Community Points: 1271

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2008, 07:58:11 am »

There is always baggage when Lorelai and Emily are in the same room and Lorelai has had her moments of pettiness when dealing with Emily. But when she gave the money to her parents she was being sincere in her gratitude and mature in her disposition. There was nothing veiled about it, no animosity or resentment. She told Emily she would continue visiting them, not every Friday, but i thought it was fairly clear they would not revert to the arrangement when the show started of them only seeing each other a few times each year. Lorelai underestimated Emily's reaction and should have anticipated an outburst. But i don't know how she could have handled it any differently, unless she mailed the money with a note. Emily's reaction was based entirely on their history and she was not paying any attention to Lorelai's demeanor. Lorelai was sincere when she pointed out that it would better if they got together voluntarily and not with a financial obligation over their heads. Lorelai would not interfere with Rory if she wanted to see her grandparents more often, such as visits after school, she might even encourage it. Lorelai pointed out to Rory afterwards that she was sincere in thanking her parents, she did not stick it to them in any way, shape or form. I can see an argument that she could have used the money for other purposes, such as putting it aside for Rory's college tuition or putting it towards the mortgage on her house. But financial and emotional independence from her parents is a huge deal to Lorelai and why shouldn't it be? She's late into her 30s and i view her in contrast to kids who leech off their parents well into adulthood without thinking anything of it. Nothing is ever simple between Lorelai and Emily, but Lorelai's intentions were good.

Signature courtesy of SKFTEX
Gilmore Gyrlie
Town Resident

Community Points: 7

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2009, 02:10:10 pm »

they didn't  show Lorelai's b-day party.

B00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000!

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: