GilmoreGirls.org Forum
June 24, 2022, 04:54:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: TV  Remember that feeling you got when watching Gilmore episodes for the first time?  Relive it!  With us!  Join the viewing party, A Gilmore RevisitingTV

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Could you live in a town like Stars Hollow?
Yes: I love small towns - 99 (53.2%)
Yes: I LIVE in a small town and love it - 47 (25.3%)
No: Nice place to visit though - 21 (11.3%)
No: Are you nuts? It's the city or death! - 6 (3.2%)
No: I live in a small town and I want OUT! - 13 (7%)
Total Voters: 184

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Small Town Living' Poll  (Read 62863 times)
katiebeth
« Reply #135 on: October 03, 2006, 12:05:28 pm »

I live in a middle town.  It has tons of people and big, but its nothing like the city.  haha I guess thats why they call it the suburb.  most people it seems like living in small towns. 

Me too!!!! I totally agree!!!!!!  Nod High Five
french1016
Gilmore Maid

Community Points: 54

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 03, 2006, 12:13:53 pm »

Someone rescue me from this big ole city. Just Joking but I do wish I was back in a small town

Darcey
alexisx3
« Reply #137 on: November 05, 2006, 02:32:28 pm »

I think I have a small town.. is 6,000 a small town? Well I imagine it to be since there's only about 100 kids in my class.
I like small towns. Makes you feel safer. =)
GGlover1223
Town Troubadour

Community Points: 3

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 05, 2006, 02:54:31 pm »

Exactly!
I <3 Small Towns.
 They are cool!  Cool
wanderinglilly
Town Resident

Community Points: 5

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 06, 2006, 08:07:35 pm »

i live in a small town, of about 90 people. the high schoolers vandalize the park , they have open sewers and peoples mail gets lost all the time.
i don't like this small town... but i would kill to live in stars hollow!!!! its sooooo pretty!

love actualy is all around
lessa
Diner Chef

Community Points: 286

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 07, 2006, 12:00:13 pm »

A town can have about 15,000 people in it and still be small. I personally make the distinction by presence or absence of a WAL-Mart.
But I don't endorse small-town living. It's safer for small children and retiring crime-lords, but it can be hard to get along as an outsider in a town where everyone knows each other. Ever hear of 'blacklisting?' And of course there's my recent (and perhaps a bit overenthusiastic) tirade about the small town brotherhood of municipal authorities. You have to be friends with policemen to avoid trouble in a small town, and you have to play football to get a decent scholarship. As for town councils, well, don't expect to be heard or listened to until you've been living there for a looooooong time.
There's nothing to do after 6pm in a small town unless you like bowling and second-run movies, and there's no one to call to for help if you run into trouble at night. And if your car breaks down on the highway, you're SOL unless you're within walking distance of a Waffle House.

My point is, if you have preschoolers, a small town is a great place to avoid them getting shot at in public school, but if you really want to socialize and be part of a small community, be prepared to wait until they consider you 'one of them.'
As for opportunity to explore your potential in high school? Don't hold your breath.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 12:03:56 pm by lessa » Logged

the_real_paul_anka
« Reply #141 on: November 08, 2006, 10:05:19 am »

i live in a small town now and i don't like it but stars hollow has stuff to do...
Littlegreen
Stars Hollow High Student

Community Points: 26

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 08, 2006, 06:53:34 pm »

I think I have a small town.. is 6,000 a small town? Well I imagine it to be since there's only about 100 kids in my class.
I like small towns. Makes you feel safer. =)

Wow that must be nice having such a small class, I think mine is 425, making my school total around 1.8 thousand kids, its crazy!! I dont even know everyone in my class, I am jelous of you

Aimmers514
Town Resident

Community Points: 12

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 14, 2006, 12:02:28 pm »

I honestly would love to live in a small town like Stars Hollow as long as it was semi-near a bigger town.  I think the location of Stars Hollow, it's far enough away from Hartford and NYC but close enough. I live in a medium size town about 35 minutes outside of Chicago and i love it here.  At times I wish it was a bit smaller town tho.

alexisx3
« Reply #144 on: December 14, 2006, 12:14:58 pm »

Well the thing is there is no big high school in my town... most of the kids go to the school right outside of the city. I go to a school with most of the kids in my community. Except the bad thing about small towns is that if you piss one person off the whole town can turn against you.  Cheesy And trust me, that's happened to people.
There's nothing to do after 6pm in a small town unless you like bowling and second-run movies, and there's no one to call to for help if you run into trouble at night. And if your car breaks down on the highway, you're SOL unless you're within walking distance of a Waffle House.
Well actually I can't agree with that. There is no bowling alley in my town. There's not a movie theatre (even though that's not helping my point.) But, the thing about a small town is that it's usually neighboring a large city. Is it really a big deal to be in a car for ten minutes to get into the city? Most people don't hang around town at night unless there's like, a town festival or something. That's one of the only things that happens it town that I can compare to Stars Hollow.
And why would a highway run through a small town?
conradv
Diner Owner

Community Points: 318

"I'll do the Chicken Dance on my Lunch Break."

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 14, 2006, 11:08:05 pm »

I live in a town of about 490 people.  I grew up here, went to college, and moved back.  My high school graduating class had a record 27 people.

There were pros and cons living in such a tight knit community - when you screwed up, everyone knew.  But when you did good, everyone knew.  I was captain of my Varsity Basketball and Football teams, and top 5% academically.  So it was great for me growing up.  I got into my share of trouble in school.... 

When I went to college, I didn't look back.  Never figured I'd ever live here.  I was after the big city experience.  I worked for a bit during school in Seattle.

I couldn't believe that people could live like that.  So many people.  So little space.  It drove me absolutely nuts.

I guess I'm one of those "If-I-have-to-go-into-a-store-on-"Black Friday"-I'll-commit-suicide" types.  I live now where I grew up, on a river delta out in the sticks.  We have Elk, Moose, Deer, Bear, Beaver, Muskrats, Raccoons, Chipmunks, Skunks, Geese, Ducks, Bald Eagles, Blue Herons, and about a gazillion differnt types of birds on the property all the time.

City livin?  No Fricken way.

(Thanks Melissa for the sig)
wolfspirit768
Diner Waitress

Community Points: 63

sometimes all you can do is howl when in pain

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 15, 2006, 03:27:18 pm »

I guess after living in all types of places mostly big i've seen the pros and cons of both sides.The big city or town has the 24hour coffee,supermarket,gas,fast food and almost 24 hour public transportation. Which means noise at 3am ect.
   Smaller areas was a bit of a shock at first because of the resricted hours of business operations and it was sooo silent you could hear a bug fart. I have since adapted to it and love it. My diet is better (no fast food) and discovered health is better.Stress is lowered and heart is doing better.Plus I don't feel like I'm late for anything anymore.
   My point is that no matter where you live you'll adapt and choose from your experience the pros and cons.Just think though that if everyone moved to Stars Hollow it would no longer be a small town. Follow your heart and dreams,your mind will eventually follow.

Coffee I prefer my coffee intravenous but if i have to use a cup make it a really big one.Coffee
zeddie
Stars Hollow High Student

Community Points: 45

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 15, 2006, 07:45:56 pm »

I come from a "township" with a little tiny town center - with like 4 official business buildings, but a town of about 80,000 was close enough by. There was nothing but farmland around us.  I had no little friends down the street, rather i had to get permission to walk a half mile to visit my closest little friend.  If we wanted to know what the neighbors were doing we had to get out the field glasses.  They did the same to us. 

You could walk to the mailbox in your skivvies - and now and then we would cut across the cow pastures and corn fields to get to school, a one-room brick building with eight grades.  The teacher was a hundred years older than God and much more ornery. She used to stink up the little bathroom something fierce, then you had to hold it til school let out.  It must have been those bananas she ate all the time.

The year i graduated i was the oldest kid in school - and there were 3 kids in my class.   You could not even consider me from a small town, i was from a patch of farm.

But that 80,000 people town was where we shopped for stuff.  Our house had an outhouse - but eventualy it was filled in.   Grin - i mean with DIRT.

I will never forget my first night in the city - hearing the NOISES in the morning. Wow. that was STRANGE and it was in Minneapolis.  I heard Garbage Collectors.  We had to haul our garbage to the local dump.  And in the morning at home, you would hear the call of pheasants in the distance.  Sometimes quite close.  And roosters crowing.  I miss that. I would love to return to the country life.  Or live on Lake Michigan, that is the other choice for me.

this was FUN, thinking back on these things.  Good thread, thank you.  I will read some more of the posts now.  Smiley

Now i have read more, and it is interesting to see the number of people from smal towns!  Cool!  I was so sad to lose my homestead from my township - i wanted to maybe move there with retirement - but of course, the stinking develooper ruuned it. Hey remember ROON. Yuk, Sorry.

I would love to live in Stars Hollow, and actually, there are some very cool small towns in Wisconsin and i am definitely considering looking for one to move to.  But it has to be on Lake Michigan.  I could even move closer to Green Bay and my beloved PACKERS!  Small towners in Wisconsin are quite the hicks  mostly. Lots of fishing and hunting.  I am really enjoying this thread!

haha yeah I know. Sometimes I wish I could live a place where it's nice all year like that, but I think I'd miss the seasons.

When my brother was in the Navy, he was stationed in Hawaii USA for quite a while.  At first he loved it, then we started getting letters. "Oh, it was 3 degrees COOLER today!  BIG season change!" He got restless for autum leaves.  Then for a while he lived in California, USA - well, he missed the seasons - he moved back to WISCONSIN, USA!  If you can believe that. Here he is, fighting the record snow falls, when he had a good job in California.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 08:01:48 pm by zeddie » Logged

Lorelai: Please Luke, please please please.
Luke: How many cups have you had this morning?
Lorelai: None.
Luke: Plus--
Lorelai: Five.  But yours is better.

"Liberté, égalité, fraternité, ou la mort!"
IN OMNIA PARATUS
steph_
Inn Owner

Community Points: 212

summertime!

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 16, 2006, 09:03:03 am »

I love lving in small tows! I could defintieyl see myself in Stars Hollow, especially with them!

ily nega, myra, narium and angela (L)
call me dybbi lmao nega and myra and narium Wink
my name is stephanie !

you know you love me.
Gilmore_Lover
Chilton Graduate

Community Points: 77

*Jenny*

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 10, 2007, 08:57:23 pm »

CITY. [sorry guys]
I went to visit colleges and I stayed in a small town outside of one (not saying which).
ANd I knew the whole town in the first hour and a half.
I love it for the 2 days I was there.
But I was done there.
<3

<333 WATCH THIS--It'll change your life.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr3x_RRJdd4 .ONE LOVE.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12
  Print  

Jump to: