GilmoreGirls.org Forum
June 24, 2022, 04:35:57 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: TV  Remember that feeling you got when watching Gilmore episodes for the first time?  Relive it!  With us!  Join the viewing party, A Gilmore RevisitingTV

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Could you live in a town like Stars Hollow?
Yes: I love small towns - 99 (53.2%)
Yes: I LIVE in a small town and love it - 47 (25.3%)
No: Nice place to visit though - 21 (11.3%)
No: Are you nuts? It's the city or death! - 6 (3.2%)
No: I live in a small town and I want OUT! - 13 (7%)
Total Voters: 184

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Small Town Living' Poll  (Read 62862 times)
Canuck
Town Resident

Community Points: 9

View Profile
« on: February 23, 2006, 08:12:32 am »

Stars Hollow looks all well-and-good on TV; but, frankly, I'd rather die than live in a small town.  Cheesy  How about you?  (Mind you if guys like Jess or Dean were running around, I might be convinced to move!)  Wink

Dear Moderators: I hope this is the correct section, area, format, etc. If not let me know where to ... uh ... stick it.  Cheesy
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 08:14:27 am by Canuck » Logged

'I am having a Gooseberry and Cinnamon yogourt. WHO would like a Gooseberry and Cinnamon yogourt?
sternen-nest
Town Selectman

Community Points: 241

[ katrin ]

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 09:38:32 am »

Hey  Smiley !

Iīm not a mod but Iīd say that this thread is absolutely in the right section and it is on top of that about an intresting subject (imo Cheesy ).
So I decided to post here..

I have never lived in a small town like Stars-Hollow, where everybody knows each other, but me and my boyfriend have talked about moving to a place like it, when we are both done with university and "settling". (The talk was not about moving to a "place similar to S.-H." of course, but about moving out to the country. Nothing is decided yet, but I could imagine it.)
I guess it would be my thing as long as the inhabitants are nice (and hopefully a little quirky Wink ). The gossip could be bothering sometimes I guess, but Iīm not for anonymity, although I enjoyed living in a big city like Berlin as well.
I guess what really matters to me, when it comes to my living-situation, is that I have people I like around. And that there is a possibility to go to cultural events like concerts or the movies once in a while, so it shouldnīt be too far out in "the middle of nowhere".

Katrin

Chocolate Club Member ~ DW at heart! [/tt]
deans_grl
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 01:17:17 pm »

I would want to live in starts hallow
gilmore-girl
Chilton Graduate

Community Points: 30

Forward, Remember, Forward::Proud to be a Huskie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 01:54:55 pm »

I'm from a small town and I wouldn't want it anyother way!!  Is so pretty and peaceful and if there is a town like Stars Hollow out there I'd love to visit and live somewhere like that someday!!

- gilmore-girl
Save yourself some time and the forum some space...read the rules!!

Insanekat
Town Troubadour

Community Points: 13

*insert gasp here*

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006, 02:23:32 pm »

I think it would get kind of boring, though they are close to Hartford so maybe it wouldn't be so bad. It would be nice to visit though but I'm not sure I'd like to live there.

Thank you sternen-nest for this wonderful sig!

OMFG
Left Field
Town Resident

Community Points: 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 03:43:15 pm »

As a kid, I used to spend all my summer vacations in a small town in Northern NSW (Australia), where the temperature could reach around 50 degress Celcius (which is about 120-130 in your Yankee Fahrenheit) and it wasn't pleasent at all.  These days I own a holiday house in a small Sunshine Coast (Queensland, Australia) town about 20mins from the beach and it's perfect.  It's up in the mountains, with breathtaking views, it's enclosed by huge trees, and gets a beautiful breeze off the coast.  Stars Hollow looks like a dump compared to this place.  It is heaven.

In this day and age, I'd be more than happy to live in a small country town, but it's all about location, location location.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 03:44:30 pm by Left Field » Logged

"Lorelai Gilmore.  Dissappointing mothers since 1968"
MasBYUgal
Inn Concierge

Community Points: 595

Org Awards : Best Sig Creator '06 & '07

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 04:10:48 pm »

So true.....   Location, Location, Location.

I've lived in both kinds of towns.  I grew up in a moderately small town 25,000 and when I visited my aunts(a small Iowa farm town) & my mom's hometown(a 500 populated town in Wyoming) I would always enjoy the simpleness.  However in small towns cliques and family legacy can play a bigger role, which can cause a festering of hate/discrimination between various groups -- sometimes the reason lies hundreds of years before.

Yet, then when I moved in HS to a much larger area of about 60,000 I really did like it.  Yes you wouldn't run into people you knew everytime you went to a grocery store or the corner chinese resturant, but there were a lot more resources you could use --- in comparison to the places we'd have to travel a 1/2 an hour to 1 hour to get before.  After living in this place for awhile when I would go back to my hometown it felt like a ghost town.  Everything seemed much smaller and there was like no traffic(Not really complaining about this... Wink

And for college and currently I've lived in much more suburban/urban areas and I'm content. 

My theory is that if you grow up in a smaller town you don't know what you're missing until you've lived some place else.  And prices at any small market in a small town are outrageous(I'm surprised there hasn't been an episode on how Taylor makes a killing at the grocery).  I also think that it's easier to go from small to large in terms of moving, but going backwards would be very difficult.

SO, If my vote is I love to visit small towns for an escape, but I would rather live some place more suburban.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 04:12:56 pm by MasBYUgal » Logged

I'm Melissa.

Just say, "Yes, M.A.M.M. !"
/Member of Queen B
Left Field
Town Resident

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2006, 05:02:34 pm »

So 25,000 is considered a small town in the USA. Smiley

In Australia we would be lucky to have 20-25 towns (excluding our Capital cities) with a population over 25,000.  The small town in Northern NSW I was talking about had a population of only 7,000 and the town (more a hamlet) where my holiday house is located has a population 125.

I think a town's population also has a bearing, especially in a country like Australia which is similiar in size to the US, but only 1/15th the population.  In Australia, these smaller towns have very few amenities, especially as you travel further west from our heavily populated East Coast.  Some towns have nothing more than a General Store, Service Station and Video Store.  My cousin used to travell 200kms once a week to have lunch at the nearest McDonalds, my uncle would travel with him and pick up his hardware supplies.  That kind of country town would not be fun to live in.

"Lorelai Gilmore.  Dissappointing mothers since 1968"
aryan2003
Chilton Graduate

Community Points: 21

--> Aryan . The . Apprentice <-- in omnia paratus

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2006, 05:09:14 pm »

I wound love to visit stars hollow. i like the whole idea, know everyone do ur won thing, and the shops, and stuff, but i dont knwo if i like everyone in ur business. etc. i dont known yet

"It's like once your president, your president for life... Unless you get assassinated"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr3x_RRJdd4 --. it
write2amy
Stars Hollow High Student

Community Points: 11

the wicked witch of the east

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2006, 05:14:26 pm »

there's this 1 town in texas. vega, texas
population:  10,000

cows

and 936 people
i lve in city that is famous for our lab
something about nucelear(sp)bombs and the worlds 2nd largest super computer
a kid in my class did his homework on it once

Im amy
Im on facebook & myspace
I will b tracy
Im in drama
im co-co
i may not hav a good voice but i hav a good charecter voice

(y r u in here(girls dressing room)) b/c im jordan and im gay.
mellOJellOHer4ya
Town Troubadour

watchin gg all day OR goin to skool??? :)

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2006, 05:54:22 pm »

i would love to live in a town where everybody knows everybody!!!!

GGLOVER4LIFE[/color]

"we hate breezes, they mess up our hair!"

duddeess hit me at www.myspace.com/coffeeeaddict92

"4ever to be with you
wont be the worst experience"
by me. well theres a lot more though. Pleased
Canuck
Town Resident

Community Points: 9

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2006, 09:57:13 pm »

Great posts! I guess I should expand on my choice.

I am definitely a city kid. I live in Toronto, Canada (about 3.5 - 4 million) and even that is too small for me! Toronto actually feels like a small town; you'd be surprised! It's easy to navigate and 'rush hour' is a joke. I go to London UK all the time:  THAT'S TRAFFIC! Cheesy  Many people from small towns actually state they like Toronto just because it doesn't feel like a city of 3.5 million. Toronto has the nickname: "The city that always sleeps"! My ideal city would be London. It's full-on 24/7; the way a city should be (unlike Toronto which pretty much shuts down around 7pm).  Angry

I like the fact that everything (and more) is right at your finger tips; especially after a night of drinking, or watching a movie, you can just walk home or take a $10 cab ride home (instead forking over $50 to get out to the suburbs!). I was raised in a suburb of Toronto actually (Scarborough) and hated it. As soon as I was able to move downtown I did.  I only ever go out there (Scarborough) to visit my mum; shivers!  Cheesy

I do like the charm of a proper small town (like Stars Hollow) though. But, most small towns (in my province [Ontario], anyway) aren't like that. They are usually spread out like jam on toast and their 'town centre' is just a strip mall with a HUGE parking lot. No charm. Just SUVs -- lots and lots of SUVs.

I do find that the people in small towns are friendlier and have better manners; you don't get that in a city where people are more abrupt and all social etiquette gets tossed out the window.

x

« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 09:58:42 pm by Canuck » Logged

'I am having a Gooseberry and Cinnamon yogourt. WHO would like a Gooseberry and Cinnamon yogourt?
dragonfly
Town Resident

Community Points: 2

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2006, 10:01:33 pm »

I wouldnīt like to live in a place so small...I do like it, I mean the houses are beautiful and the park also. But itīs too small and I love the big cities because they have everything you look for and lots of ways to entertain yourself.
What I would really like to have of Stars Hollows is a place like Lukeīs. I donīt know in other countries, but in mine (Argentina) there is not a place like this.
thelostgilmoregirl
Diner Chef

Community Points: 124

Book Sniffer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2006, 10:03:59 pm »

I live in a big city but I would love to live in a small town like Stars Hollow.  It seems like it would be great to live in a town where everyone knows everyone else.   Grin

~JavaJunkie~Narcoleptic~Noodie~Foodie~
Shania
Town Resident

Community Points: 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2006, 10:40:24 pm »

i've only lived in two towns. one i grew up in has around 5000 people and the town i currently live in has about 1700 people.

i like small towns in that you feel safer. you don't worry about your safety as much when walking from your home to downtown.

the main problem in a small town (imo) would be if you make a mistake everyone knows about it and sometimes won't let you forget it. they'll keep throwing that mistake in your face.

I think the best choice would be to live in a small town for the safety and friendliness factor, but also live close enough to a larger city that you could easily go there to escape the small town and enjoy the big city once in a while.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12
  Print  

Jump to: