Being a Gilmore Guy
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 09:38:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Snap  Heidi's Soapbox, now with a new poll! Vote, vote, vote!  Good times.  Best times!  Chomp
476534 Posts in 1593 Topics by 19873 Members
Latest Member: MadeleineF

DVD7
Copperboom! Season seven DVD sets are now on sale!
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  GilmoreGirls.org Forum
|-+  Gilmore Girls
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Being a Gilmore Guy
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 174 Print
Author Topic: Being a Gilmore Guy  (Read 257754 times)
Morada
Town Resident

Community Points: 15

VA Beach, VA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2005, 10:13:00 am »

I was wondering if I could ask of the other Gilmore Guys (and, of course, any interested Girls) what you think of the portrayal of our gender on the show? Accurate, stereotypical, idealized from a female perspective? Time to represent, ye of the Y chromosome.   

Being of the female gender, I thought Amy had peered into my mind for the perfect man when she created Luke Danes. Wink  He understood being alone, he was intense, he had a great sense of humor, he was sarcastic, and he looked very much like a guy's guy (flannel t-shirt, jeans, backwards baseball cap) and was helpful.  He put up with a lot of crap from Lorelai over the years, but he was strong enough to "just say no" when she got all self-absorbed about Rory getting hurt in the accident and yelled at him for Jess' part instead of trying to think for two minutes that it was Rory's fault to begin with that Jess was even driving the car. 

This season, however, I think Amy has made him into more of her own fantasy man.  I won't say that there's not guys out there who will go shopping with their women...some guys like buying things.  I personally find it an objectable chore and having a man around while I'm doing anything other than grocery shopping would just make it a more irritable experience.  (BTW, shopping is something my girlfriend and her husband enjoy together...going to the Target to shop all the discounted items on the end caps is kinda their thing.) 

As far as the other men, I've known men like each of the archtypes she's set up - Dean, who was the somewhat jealous type and let Rory get away with treating him badly until he couldn't take it anymore.  Then there was Jess, the rebel who treated her badly because he was never witness to a healthy relationship and didn't get a clue how to treat a woman properly until it was too late.  I'm sure everyone knows someone like Michel who's fussy to the extreme, Kirk who works like a dog and is not shy about being multi-talented, and Taylor who has a weird sense of perfection he's trying to force on the community he lives in.  Jackson is pretty realistic as well and probably more representative of normal guys who haven't entirely grown up and Richard reminds me of way too many men from the corporate world (ugh).  Holding a conversation with a man in a three piece suit who's trying to flirt with me makes me quesy (and not in a GOOD way) to this day. 

I know all these men are just characters written for enjoyment, but every one of them has some flaws that make them highly believable...ESPECIALLY Christopher.  The thing I like most about all of the characters on this show is none of them is unbelievably "pretty" like a Pamela Anderson or a Brad Pitt (and I use him only as an example of what other women like because personally I don't see anything attractive about him).  Yes, many of them are attractive to those of us that have been watching for years, but I think it's their personalities that really make them attractive over their obvious physical beauty. 

That's just my opinion though.

It only takes one kiss...

to speak from the heart.
Marty$18
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 2

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2005, 11:11:11 am »

I was wondering if I could ask of the other Gilmore Guys (and, of course, any interested Girls) what you think of the portrayal of our gender on the show? Accurate, stereotypical, idealized from a female perspective? Time to represent, ye of the Y chromosome.   

I tend to dislike most of the male love interests on the show besides Luke. They never seem very interesting to me and I can never see why they'd be appealing to Rory/Lorelai. Because so many shows are written from the male perspective, perhaps turnabout is fair play. Many male-driven shows, for example, probably present women in an idealized and unrealistic fashion.

When Rory was younger I didn't feel like Dean or Jess were really worthy of her attention. Dean was supposed to be smart, but then they dumbed him down until finally, he dropped out of school and became a carpenter! Jess was an immature jerk from the start, and season 3 was torture for me because of him. I didn't find either of them particularly attractive either. I also disliked Logan from the start. Can there possibly be any guys out there who can actually relate to him? He's a preppy, spoiled snob and his tortured "pressures of being rich" act is weak. Is this what girls swoon over? Where's Marty???

At some point in time, Rory's character began to get dumber and I realized that I didn't like her very much anymore. She hasn't had much of a spine the past few years, and she's made some incredibly stupid decisions. As this happened I began to respect some of the characters just by the virtue of NOT being with Rory. For instance, I could relate to Dean when he saw Rory reveling drunkenly with Logan and his loser Yalie friends. Of course, my impression of Rory dropped EVEN MORE when, after that breakup, she apparently got over it by getting drunk and coming home in the morning from a limo.

What's just as pathetic is Logan is in many ways a Yale version of Tristan, who Rory rebuffed repeatedly. OK, Logan is a little smoother than Tristan, but they both were represented as cocky, rich kids whose wealth hid some deep and impenetrable burden. I'm waiting for Logan to sit by the piano and reflect.

With Lorelai, she has been a little wiser with men but they still haven't impressed me much. That teacher guy and Jason were not very strong characters and seemed like temporary diversions. Christopher and Luke have all along been the two important guys in her life, and obviously the latter is somebody guys can get on board with. Christopher has been all over the board for me, because at first he was supposed to be kind of a rebel, but he looked silly in a leather jacket and motorcycle. Later, I appreciated that he took responsibility for his actions and grew up, but then he kind of became emasculated and desperate with the whole Mr. Mom/Wedding fiasco.

I think, similarly with Rory, I started to respect those who stood up to Lorelai, like when Christopher ripped into her for saying her own inability to commit was related to him. Now Luke is impressing me with his patience, but eventually, Lorelai will delay the wedding and Luke will flip out.

Oh, and I also liked Adam Brody's character over Zack, who's completely ridiculous. Let's see, apparently this guy can have sex with any number of blonde groupies and he passes that up for Lane Kim. Please.

Left Field
Town Resident

Community Points: 1

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2005, 07:50:39 pm »

I'm an Aussie male who loves the show.  I think it's best thing on TV... when it's on Australian TV. Angry  It's the one show that my wife, daughter and I can all sit down and enjoy.

"Lorelai Gilmore.  Dissappointing mothers since 1968"
DangerousDan
Stars Hollow Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2005, 11:47:22 pm »

new member here. My little sister got me hooked on the show over the summer. I have seasons 1-4 on dvd. while initially i started watching because i think Alexis is hot, the unique characters, humor, and storylines kept me watching.  My friends give me a hard time for watching it, but i dont really care.  i havent seen much of season 5 so i'm kinda lost watching the new episodes lol

alexhpfan
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 8

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2005, 10:47:02 am »

My dad watches it it sometimes.  He doesn't watch it all of the time like my mom and I do but when he isn't busy he will sit down and watch it with us.

Merel
Town Resident

Community Points: 4

*does a little dance*

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2005, 02:32:03 pm »

same here, my mom and I have been watching since season 2 and every now and then my dad sits down and is very much charmed by Lorelai and her remarks, such as in the episode where Luke admires her walking away.

Apple down! (Forum's up!)
Copperboom!
Graphic Wonder
Town Resident

Community Points: 75

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2005, 03:09:36 pm »

Okay--so, not to be nosy (or to domineer the thread), but for these casual Gilmore Guys, all the husbands and dads and brothers out there, what qualifies as a never-miss-it show? I only ask because I'm trying to figure out which aspects of the show are specifically gendered female, in a way to which guys just can't relate--and since I find myself appreciating nearly everything about the show, I have to wonder why so many fellas stigmatize it, even those who will admit to watching it. I'd hate to think I was being a traitor to my gender, after all--and if they all know something I don't ... Undecided

Marty$18
Stars Hollow Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2005, 11:56:54 pm »

Okay--so, not to be nosy (or to domineer the thread), but for these casual Gilmore Guys, all the husbands and dads and brothers out there, what qualifies as a never-miss-it show? I only ask because I'm trying to figure out which aspects of the show are specifically gendered female, in a way to which guys just can't relate--and since I find myself appreciating nearly everything about the show, I have to wonder why so many fellas stigmatize it, even those who will admit to watching it. I'd hate to think I was being a traitor to my gender, after all--and if they all know something I don't ... Undecided

Two problems for guys who might otherwise discover the show:
:
1) It's on the WB - 90 percent of their shows are teen soap operas/family drama.
2) The word "girls" in the title.
Copperboom!
Graphic Wonder
Town Resident

Community Points: 75

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2005, 12:22:40 am »

:
1) It's on the WB - 90 percent of their shows are teen soap operas/family drama.

Maybe they just need to add "gone wild" at the end of the title. That would probably help ease men into it. Grin

Aims
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 7

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2005, 09:02:37 am »

One of my best guy mates used to be addicted like me, he'd tape it for me if i was working late Cheesy Rocked.
Merel
Town Resident

*does a little dance*

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2005, 09:08:19 am »

Maybe they just need to add "gone wild" at the end of the title. That would probably help ease men into it. Grin

Heh, that'd be a ratings-upper  Grin
I don't think I have know any guys who watch ANY show for every episode. They just don't seem to be series kind of guys ...

Shanksta
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2005, 09:23:31 am »

:

Exactly. Thats enough ammo for my friends to give me crap with for liking Gilmore girls.
leebeasy
Town Resident

Community Points: 8

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2005, 03:10:15 pm »

I am a 17 year old guy and I love Gilmore Girls, and I agree the fact it has "girls" in the title makes some people turn their noses up. Which is a shame as this is a great show with witty dialogue and well written characters.

pezhed
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2005, 11:37:59 pm »

I'm female, but I've recently gotten a 21-year-old guy hooked from the start of the first season.  It works out well because he can watch and I get to rewatch it all.  He likes it primarily due to the phenomenal acting (partiuclarly Lauren Graham's) and the references and wit.  He probably also likes to look at the girls, but I don't think most fellas volunteer that kind of information too early in relationships Wink
Merel
Town Resident

*does a little dance*

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2005, 11:42:15 pm »

Ooh, so it's your boyfriend?  Smiley Good find, there!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 174 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: