Mrs. Kim / Emily Kuroda Appreciation
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2017, 02:20:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Star  We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's best Gilmore Girls forum. The ORG Forum will be just that. Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster.  Star 
476536 Posts in 1593 Topics by 19873 Members
Latest Member: MadeleineF

DVD7
Copperboom! Season seven DVD sets are now on sale!
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  GilmoreGirls.org Forum
|-+  Gilmore Girls
| |-+  Cast and Characters
| | |-+  Appreciation Threads
| | | |-+  Mrs. Kim / Emily Kuroda Appreciation
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Print
Author Topic: Mrs. Kim / Emily Kuroda Appreciation  (Read 41065 times)
bingbong
Town Selectman

Community Points: 1271

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 20, 2007, 06:15:34 pm »

Mrs. Kim was very much about integrity and commitment. In the example laurla205 gave about helping Zach with his songwriting she was concerned that he be a good provider for her daughter, but she was also concerned with the idea that he give 100% effort to his chosen profession. In theory, she might have objected to Zach's taste in music, but her only interest seemed to be that he create the best music he was capable of through his full commitment.† The example you gave about helping the band was the same. It was not only about helping Lane (although that of course was a big factor) but that the band fulfill its true potential. She could not accept a half-assed attempt. Once Lane went on her own, she and Mrs. Kim developed a stronger understanding of each other. Mrs. Kim respected that Lane was making an attempt to create her own life and her main objections seemed to come when she perceived that Lane (and Zach) were not giving it their fullest efforts.

There are obvious similarities between Emily and Mrs. Kim but i think Mrs. Kim had more personal integrity. Emily was prone to pettiness, status seeking and gossip. Mrs. Kim lived by her own rules and cared not one bit what anyone thought. She had a true sense of morality, integrity and commitment to living the life that she thought was best for herself and Lane. Mrs. Kim provided Lane with little if any financial support after she moved out,  but she helped in more important ways, organizing the band's tour, helping Zach with his music, helping Lane during her pregnancy. In other words, by setting an example of true commitment. By contrast, Emily provided Lorelai with very little support that was not financial. It's not simply that Lorelai didn't want Emily's advice and help in life situations, but that there was no common ground that could be found between them. It must mean something that Mrs. Kim and Lane found common ground where Lorelai and Emily rarely if ever could.

Signature courtesy of SKFTEX
JMM4MB
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 0

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 23, 2007, 08:05:11 pm »

Wish you could see Mrs. Kim up close and LIVE?  Read on!!!!

I just saw Mrs. Kim in the play, "The Enchanted Nightingale", at The Falcon Theatre in Burbank!  If you're a Gilmore Girls fan, this is one show not to be missed!  Emily Kuroda (Mrs. Kim) does a superb job acting in this play..she's hilarious! I really enjoyed seeing her in the play.  You're so close to all the actors in this intimate theatre.  Afterwards, playgoers have the chance to meet the actors in the play (and maybe even have a chance to take a picture.)  I highly recommend checking her out if you're in the LA area.  For more info, check out the website:  http://www.falcontheatre.com/
Love_the_Lorelais
Town Resident

Community Points: 13

Luke + Lorelai = Love

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 29, 2007, 06:13:24 pm »

Cool! I didn't know she was a stage actress! Thats awesome. I'd love to see her in person.  Tongue

~Java Junkie and proud of it!~
Lovefiend
Yale Alumnus

Community Points: 905

Shary's Stalkee, Lexie is my lil sis/ R.I.P BF

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: August 31, 2007, 08:03:00 am »

Hey,thanks for bringing this to our attention, however, there is a Show and Cast Member news section, and this thread really belongs there. Try having a look round the forum before posting to see if you can find a more fitting place for your threads. Hopefully one of the mods will move this.
Welcome to the forum

~I wish I could touch you again, I wish I could still call you friend, I'd give, anything... ~

MiniPink
talkingfriend
Inn Manager

Community Points: 341

Thanks Fanny!

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 03, 2007, 07:01:05 am »

just wanted to tell you that this thread does not belong in the appreciation area

it should be in the show and cast member news section

thanks,
marlies  Wink

Gigi fan + narco + java junkie + spree + pts at Hearts + photography nerd + Austrian + British = marlies
SIDNEY
Chilton Graduate

Community Points: 322

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 27, 2007, 06:28:02 pm »

Mrs. Kim always seemed conflicted between her beliefs and her feelings, she always seems to be standing in the middle of role as a mother and as a believer.  I personally don't know which one takes control of her actions. When she kicked Lane out of the house; it was out of her beliefs but when she approved of Lane's marriage it was out of her feelings for Lane. Though I am now wondering if her approval appeared to her as an " option". I think she knew in the back of her mind that Lane would marry Zack whether she approved or not. But that's just an assumption of mine.

I also liked how She told Lane when she wanted to give up the band " you are not the daughter I raised, Kims don't give up". I really liked that , it showed that she actually had some good basics of how she wanted to raise her girl. She always seemed to force her beliefs on Lane (and if you force someone to believe in something then that's not believing because you believe by choice not by force).

She didn't often show her feelings for Lane in an emotional way but I liked how moved she was in Lane's wedding and how Lane felt it.

Billy: Are we over the rainbow, Ally? Is this it? We used to sing as kids "over the rainbow".
We've gone from being people with bright futures to people who should be living their futures now.
bingbong
Town Selectman

Community Points: 1271

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 29, 2007, 03:55:05 pm »

Regarding the statement "When she kicked Lane out of the house..."

Mrs. Kim did not kick Lane out of the house. She said what many parents say: When you live under my roof, you live by my rules. Mrs. Kim is the mother, Mrs. Kim owns the house and if Lane, who by now was over 18, didn't like the rules, she was free to go.† She essentially was treating Lane like a grown-up and giving her a choice. It was up to Lane to decide what she wanted to do with her own life. Mrs. Kim did not try to stop her from leaving the house or playing in the rock band. Besides, it was about time for Lane to take the next step. Lane is one of my favorite characters, but at that point she was out of high school and it was time for her to move on from her secret double life. At some point it had to happen and better now than later. Mrs. Kim did not like Lane's decision to leave but i think she understood deep down that she had to do it. I think Mrs. Kim understood that Lane was at the age where she could not stop her daughter from doing as she pleased, but she was not going to do it in her house. I have a lot of respect for Mrs. Kim.

Signature courtesy of SKFTEX
laurla205
Gilmore Maid

Community Points: 384

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 08, 2007, 02:26:23 pm »

Mrs. Kim always seemed conflicted between her beliefs and her feelings, she always seems to be standing in the middle of role as a mother and as a believer.† I personally don't know which one takes control of her actions.

I think what Mrs. Kim did really well, once Lane was an adult, was make her feelings fit into her beliefs if that makes sense.† When she was putting Zach through the ringer testing him to see if he was suitable for Lane, it was to fit her beliefs that he could/should be a provider.† She disregarded the fact that what he planned to do in order to support them was against her beliefs just long enough to make the fact that he was good enough to support them the important part of what they were doing.†

We get a glimpse of why I think she bends like this at Laneís wedding.† Because her mother did not.† It was semi-shocking to find out Mrs. Kimís mother was a Buddhist and fully expected that Mrs. Kim was as well.† Mrs. Kim had been living her life, as far as her own mother was concerned, under the floorboards so to speak.† So I think that she eventually realized that she kept her mom thousands of miles away and preferred it that way.† If she didnít bend a little bit Lane would do the same to her.

I think this is also why she understood and came to terms with Lane leaving in the first place.†
Brittney
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 0

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 20, 2008, 06:39:12 pm »

Omg I thought she did a wonderful job on the show. It must of been hard for her to act mad all the time. Embarrassed. Thanks for telling us fans

LOve BRITTNEY
gilmore for life
« Reply #84 on: May 18, 2008, 02:39:21 pm »

mrs.kim is so funny but weard at times
cherilee13
Diner Chef

Community Points: 364

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 29, 2008, 06:05:42 pm »

Has anyone seen Emily Kuroda in Under One Roof?  I don't like the show but watch it once in a while because of her.  She is so not Mrs. Kim in this show.  She even flashed someone in the show.  It was sooooooo funny.

Sig by Sooks/Mel ~ Thank you sweet friend
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: