Mrs. Kim / Emily Kuroda Appreciation
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2017, 06:41:19 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Star  Are you new to the ORG Forum?  Perhaps you're a longtime member.  Either way, read the Forum rules to stay informed on proper etiquette.  Cheerio!  Star
476536 Posts in 1593 Topics by 19873 Members
Latest Member: MadeleineF

DVD7
Copperboom! Season seven DVD sets are now on sale!
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  GilmoreGirls.org Forum
|-+  Gilmore Girls
| |-+  Cast and Characters
| | |-+  Appreciation Threads
| | | |-+  Mrs. Kim / Emily Kuroda Appreciation
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Print
Author Topic: Mrs. Kim / Emily Kuroda Appreciation  (Read 41052 times)
TheAcademyIs_
Town Resident

Community Points: 2

My sarcasm'll catch you when you least expect it.

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2006, 03:28:33 pm »

(Before I begin, I'd like to say that I searched for this, and didn't come up with a whole board dedicated to him, but if there was already or there's been much discussion about him already, then I'm really sorry.)

We've never met him, right (not in last season at all?)? Or even heard mention of him, solely (as in "Mr. Kim")? I really don't understand this. Was this, at first, an oversight in the characters? There must've been somewhat of one, since even Lane herself once said "my parents", and that was in season 4. I'm wondering if we'll ever meet him.. and I am very excited for the explanation. Where has he been Lane's whole life? Obviously, Mrs. Kim had a tight enough hold on the reigns without her spouse (was she ever even married? Hmm, intrigue). I am just really really interested in how (and why) Mr. Kim is so completely absent from the show's myriad of characters. Thoughts?

Luke: Jess, are you a gigolo?
Stars-n-Moons
Stars Hollow High Student

Community Points: 14

Seven Super Seasons!

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2006, 03:57:15 pm »

There was a thread on this, however the mods merged it with the Mrs. Kim appreciation; their reason being you can't can have an appreciation thread for a character that doesn't exist. Wink  http://www.gilmoregirls.org/forum/index.php?topic=4068.30

[color=FF0071]If it had to end, I am at least glad it ended with people wanting more... help keep the memories alive![/color]
TheAcademyIs_
Town Resident

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 02, 2006, 04:03:24 pm »

Oh, thanks. If I just delete my post, will the whole thread me deleted?

TheAcademyIs_
Town Resident

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 02, 2006, 04:08:33 pm »

In the Korea episode she actually says my mother and father are shipping me to Korea.  In the first season she says my parents are making me go on a hay ride with a Korean boy.  She says parents a lot, but in the Korea episode she actually says mother and father.  I started watching season one over again a few nights ago.  I am on season three right now.

Also, in "The Hobbit, the Soda, and Digger Stiles," Lane is talking about how she wore a bracelet to school, and she says "my parents were called." Another oversight in the writing?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 04:10:59 pm by TheAcademyIs_ » Logged

gilmore-girl
Chilton Graduate

Community Points: 30

Forward, Remember, Forward::Proud to be a Huskie

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 02, 2006, 05:28:02 pm »

I believe it will be.  Smiley

- gilmore-girl
Save yourself some time and the forum some space...read the rules!!

gilmoreguy78
Town Resident

Community Points: 12

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: October 03, 2006, 03:49:08 pm »

I adore Mrs. Kim. Emily Kuroda is a fantastic comedic actress and is tons of fun to watch. I wish there was more Mrs. Kim in episodes. Oh well.

As for Mr. Kim, ASP said that he does definately exist, we just never see him. Same way with Kirk's parents, Paris' parents, etc.

"But this is America, where we unappologetically bastardize other countries' cultures in a gross quest for moral and military supremecy." ~ Lorelai Victoria Gilmore
paradoxical
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 0

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 03, 2006, 11:36:39 pm »

There is one very random line of hers that still cracks me up and for the life of me I can't remember which season or episode it was in.

Rory: (stumbling and covering something for Lane) "Oh, I fell out of the chair."
Mrs. Kim: "Well don't."

I don't know why I find that line so hilarious but I love her for it.

And when she makes Zach work for permission to ask Lane to marry him!

She really is a great character.
Imy
Pretty Town Spinster

Community Points: 411

I'm the Literati geek!

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 11, 2006, 12:39:19 pm »

mrs.kim is one of my favourite characters she has such great one-liners just these funny little things she says like-
"reading the bible in one night is very difficult i myself have only done it three times"!!!!!!!!

Imogen~Literati~M.M.M~Java Junkie~Foodie

I'm the Old school music gal! lol Jim!
Do you have a Crazy Corner Emily?! lol
miloismine
Town Resident

Community Points: 14

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2006, 06:57:12 pm »

You know in that one episode where Emily and Rory go antique shopping at Mrs. Kims and Emily haggles a price of a chair with Ms. Kim and then afterwards Emily says "I like that woman!" Well, I just thought that was really cute and it showed how the two mothers are alike.

Milo <3
reallifegilmore
« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2007, 08:59:43 am »

We have never seen Mr Kim (though he is referred to a few times as Lane's "parents") nor Kirk's mom or Taylor's wife.

It was weird when Lane's "parents" drove her to the airport for her trip to Korea though you never saw Mr. Kim. When Lane ran into her "parents" room upset about the exchange student only Mrs. Kim was in bed. When Lane got married there was no dad appearing when even Grandma came from Korea for the wedding (it tickled me to see Mrs. Kim hide everything from her own "mama").

Perhaps Mrs. Kim is extra "tough" because she is also a single mom like Lorelai - will we find out that she really isn't a "Mrs." after all? Perhaps this will be explained as Lane and Zach move closer to the delivery of their baby!
kimberleelee
Stars Hollow Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 20, 2007, 03:39:32 pm »

COME SEE ‘MRS. KIM’ ON THE LIVE STAGE

Calling all Gilmore Girls fans! Calling all Gilmore Girls fans!

If you are missing the irascible ‘Mrs. Kim’ from the hit television series, then you must see her in a new play called THE ENCHANTED NIGHTINGALE at film and television director Garry Marshall’s Falcon Theatre in Burbank.

Did you know that Emily Kuroda, otherwise known as Lane’s mother ‘Mrs. Kim’ from the Gilmore Girls, is a trained theatre actress?

Before joining the long running television series, Kuroda was best known for her extensive work on stage:  East West Players, Actor’s Co-op, La Jolla Playhouse, Playwright’s Arena, the Public, BAM (NYC), South Coast, CTG, Berkley Rep, Singapore Rep, LA Woman’s Shakespeare, Huntington Theatre (Boston), and LATC.

For a limited time (through September) Kuroda is currently starring as the wise, nurturing, and comic ‘Mrs. Wu’ in THE ENCHANTED NIGHTINGALE, based on the Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale “The Emperor And The Nightingale.”

Over the years, Kuroda has acted in some 35 productions. She's received five Dramalogue awards, a Garland award for outstanding performance, and a LA Ovation nomination for Best Lead Actress. Kuroda has become a staple in Asian-American theater -- including in David Henry Hwang's M Butterfly.

You won’t want to miss her in the Falcon’s production of THE ENCHANTED NIGHTINGALE also starring Kathleen Chen, West Liang and from MTV Chi, Simon Yin. Together the four-some bring to life a delightful tale about learning that the most valuable of treasures are the family and friends that surround us.

The ENCHANTED NIGHTINGALE performance schedule and show information can be found at www.falcontheatre.com or by calling the box office at 818-955-8101.
kimberleelee
Stars Hollow Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 20, 2007, 03:40:28 pm »

COME SEE ‘MRS. KIM’ ON THE LIVE STAGE

Calling all Gilmore Girls fans! Calling all Gilmore Girls fans!

If you are missing the irascible ‘Mrs. Kim’ from the hit television series, then you must see her in a new play called THE ENCHANTED NIGHTINGALE at film and television director Garry Marshall’s Falcon Theatre in Burbank.

Did you know that Emily Kuroda, otherwise known as Lane’s mother ‘Mrs. Kim’ from the Gilmore Girls, is a trained theatre actress?

Before joining the long running television series, Kuroda was best known for her extensive work on stage:  East West Players, Actor’s Co-op, La Jolla Playhouse, Playwright’s Arena, the Public, BAM (NYC), South Coast, CTG, Berkley Rep, Singapore Rep, LA Woman’s Shakespeare, Huntington Theatre (Boston), and LATC.

For a limited time (through September) Kuroda is currently starring as the wise, nurturing, and comic ‘Mrs. Wu’ in THE ENCHANTED NIGHTINGALE, based on the Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale “The Emperor And The Nightingale.”

Over the years, Kuroda has acted in some 35 productions. She's received five Dramalogue awards, a Garland award for outstanding performance, and a LA Ovation nomination for Best Lead Actress. Kuroda has become a staple in Asian-American theater -- including in David Henry Hwang's M Butterfly.

You won’t want to miss her in the Falcon’s production of THE ENCHANTED NIGHTINGALE also starring Kathleen Chen, West Liang and from MTV Chi, Simon Yin. Together the four-some bring to life a delightful tale about learning that the most valuable of treasures are the family and friends that surround us.

The ENCHANTED NIGHTINGALE performance schedule and show information can be found at www.falcontheatre.com or by calling the box office at 818-955-8101.
laurla205
Gilmore Maid

Community Points: 384

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 20, 2007, 04:17:20 pm »

Mrs. Kim was a great mother.  She always came across as super strict and seemed as if she just wanted to control Lane (sound like another Gilmore mother we know?) but underneath it she just wanted the best for Lane.  That really came through in Season 7, especially at the end when Lane made a point to say it was okay for Zach to go on tour because she had her mom (and Brian) there to help out.  There are a few examples that come to mind as far as Mrs. Kim, the first being when she set up the tour for Hep Alien.  When Lane told her they couldn’t keep the band on track she demanded that they try harder and keep it together even if their music was, to her, devil music.  All so Lane would be happy.  I also liked when she and Zach wrote their hit song.  After all of the manipulating she tried to do to make sure Lane married a Korean man I thought she would put the screws to Zach much worse.  But she didn’t, all she wanted was to be sure Zach would make a good provider for Lane (which okay is a little old world but she still had Lane’s interest at heart because if Zach was successful that meant Lane was successful with the band).  I’m jumping around a little but I also liked that her mother was the same to her as she is to Lane and when she (Mrs. Kim’s mom) came in from Korea unexpectedly for Lane’s wedding she behaved just as Lane would if she were in the situation.  Her clearing the house of anything non-Buddhist, hiding things in the floor boards and all was classic Kim behavior.

When Lorelai explained to Lane that her children might not like the same things as she does just as she doesn’t like the things her mom does, I think Lane realized a lot more about her mom.  And that’s that they were more alike than she’d thought even if they didn’t share the same opinion on everything.  I think this relationship was a great contract to Lorelai and Rory’s relationship in general and had nice closure at the end of the series. 
bingbong
Town Selectman

Community Points: 1271

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 20, 2007, 04:26:20 pm »

One moment i loved between Lane and Mrs. Kim was when Lane's "secret" room was exposed. Lane hoped she and her mother could find common ground, so that she (Lane) would no longer need to hide things for her. Lane was typical in the way that she hoped for communal cooperation (such as in the band). But Mrs. Kim's reply was also typical. She said no. As long as Lane lived in her house she must live by her rules. She told Lane if she wants to live her own way she would have to leave. She did not even say it defiantly but as a matter of sincerely stating her beliefs. Any other reaction by Mrs. Kim would have been a betrayal of her character. It is not unusual for parents to demand their kids live by their rules while under their roof (even when they are no longer kids), but that is especially true of Mrs. Kim. And in fact Mrs. Kim did Lane a big favor (even if not intentionally), by forcing Lane to make a serious decision on how she might lead her life. Mrs. Kim remained defiant when Lane moved out but she did not seem bitter to me. She seemed to accept her daughter's decision, was not happy about it, but i had the feeling she understood what Lane needed to do. 

Signature courtesy of SKFTEX
laurla205
Gilmore Maid

Community Points: 384

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 20, 2007, 05:48:38 pm »

Exactly, she wasn’t bitter and didn’t hold it over her head.  She was shocked in many respects but stuck to her ground in that once Lane was out of her house she didn’t have much of a say in her everyday life anymore.  I agree that any other response by Mrs. Kim in that situation would cry out of character.  And I also liked that she stood firm.  I hadn’t thought of Mrs. Kim forcing Lane to make a decision in the way you presented it.  Mostly because for Lane there never was a decision to be made, she would never live like her mother.  But you’re right, Mrs. Kim forced her to in this way (but not overly harshly) commit to what she wanted out of life and become independent, which is a great outcome. 
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: